• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I am sorry lol but i was skimming through era threads and i think someone mentioned that vapor coolers are expensive.
It's not easy to find the IHS estimates for X1X. I was reading another article about Scorpio on some tech site and he spilled some numbers from their cost analysis. Could have said "it adds additional $15 for vapor chamber + $15 for Hovis". I'll find it, but not now I'm lazy.

Regardless, the vapor chamber setup and the whole Xbox One X design is something I'd expect to see repeated. Probably 175-200W total system power consumption. Don't get me wrong, the X1X has an awesome cooling system. Navi 10 5700-series cards are using one on 180W and 225W TBP GPUs, but that's not stuffed into a tiny box. Either way 180W quiet, compact, powerful consoles are well within grasp, imo.

Evilms

Banned

9HMpV8H.png

Last edited:

Mass Shift

S
It's marketing material.

Some people may want to take it to heart.

I'd rather not waste my time.

I think most are taking the same approach. But it was still amazing how some were accurately able to predict what was on the Scorpio mobo from that early render. Even the size of the APU was deducted from that render.

MS had to know people would try it again, and they didn't even provide a render this time. So who knows? 🤔

jonnyp

The problem with the caching idea is that if next gen games are tailored to take full benefit of SSDs, they'll be even slower on HDDs, and multiply that with the increase in game size. So if you hit an uncached games load times become an absolute chore.

Unless they treat the HDD as cold storage only and require you to transfer the full thing into the SSD before playing, but in that case you only have a small collection of instant play games. I guess that would still be preferable though if it's not full SSD.

Well, I think there'll be room for a few games on the cache, your most recently played ones. If you start a game that is not cached it will hopefully just load a little longer in the start and continue loading onto the cache while playing until the core data is cached on the SSD.

I just cannot see how they're gonna be able to sell us a Zen 2, Navi 3700 something AND 1TB of PCIE 4.0 NVMe SSD storage for 399 USD.

LordOfChaos

Well, I think there'll be room for a few games on the cache, your most recently played ones. If you start a game that is not cached it will hopefully just load a little longer in the start and continue loading onto the cache while playing until the core data is cached on the SSD.

I just cannot see how they're gonna be able to sell us a Zen 2, Navi 3700 something AND 1TB of PCIE 4.0 NVMe SSD storage for 399 USD.

That's why many are thinking it would be bumped to 499. A hybrid setup would be doable, I'm just wondering out loud how it would be set up. Particularly someone like me with gaming ADHD lol, each infrequent game used hitting sub 100MB/s for perhaps 100+GB games next gen seems like it's not something you could overcome with a small pause at the start and streaming it into the SSD, it would take moving substantially more of it over.

It also looks like NAND is set to meet HDD costs within the next gens lifespan.

TFQgnjzJCscfiz4C.jpg

Last edited:

FrostyJ93

Based on the given specs and rumors sounds like both will be $500 USD. Not cheap but likely worth it for the tech. Basically if you wanna be first in line for the new best toy, pay up.

R600

Banned
I'll make my prediction :

PS5 :

Die size 315-350mm2
Zen2 @3.2GHz
Navi 8.3-9TF (36/40CUs @1.8GHz boost)
20GB of GDDR6
Some sort of RT hardware
1TB SSD
500$

Scarlett

Die size 360-390mm2
Zen2 @3.2GHz
Navi 9TF - 9.5TF (44/48CUs @1.6GHz)
20GB GDDR6
Hardware RT
1TB SSD
500$ maybe more

Oh, TFs are expectred and optimistic numbers. Could even go lower then that.

R600

Banned
#8TFstillalive.
Oh its alive and well. Look at this graph from AMDs official docs.

amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-vs-vega-56.png

Navi @ 9.75TF tops (if boost was running 100% all the time) is on average >30% faster then Vega at 10.5TF. So, faster then Vega 64 as well.

This means Navi with 8.5-9TF would be like putting 12TF Vega card in closed box. People wanted Nvidia flops, and they got them. No reason to hang on pure numbers when flop v flop, Navi beats Vega by >30%.

This is also why I predicted no more then 9TF. Because this will likely be a sweet spot for consoles between TDP/die size. Full Navi10 is too hot for consoles, they will need to cut some CUs or get few more and downclock it.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Will this allow them to dispense higher heat ?
Yes, gpus with big heatsinks and 3 fans tend to do better (noise and temps) than vapor coolers
Ive been seeing a lot of talk about the MHZ speed and CU count affecting heat. Im wondering if vapor cooling allows them to push for more
Yep much more than traditional console coolers (shit coolers)
They're going to have vape cooling :messenger_sunglasses:
Most likely but i hope they go with a big ass heatskink and 3 fan design case
This is also why I predicted no more then 9TF. Because this will likely be a sweet spot for consoles between TDP/die size. Full Navi10 is too hot for consoles, they will need to cut some CUs or get few more and downclock it.
You'll push more heat/power through a 36/40 CU chip clocked 1800-1900Mhz to reach 8-9TF than a 56CU chip @1540Mhz = 11TF
That and 4k + RT is why stand firm on my prediction of 11TF+

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

PS5 :

Die size 315-350mm2
Zen2 @3.2GHz
20GB of GDDR6
Some sort of RT hardware
1TB SSD
500$

Scarlett

Die size 360-390mm2
Zen2 @3.2GHz
20GB GDDR6
Hardware RT
1TB SSD
500$ maybe more

CUs 50+? Lots of talk about big die size.

Last edited:

demigod

Oh its alive and well. Look at this graph from AMDs official docs.

amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-vs-vega-56.png

Navi @ 9.75TF tops (if boost was running 100% all the time) is on average >30% faster then Vega at 10.5TF. So, faster then Vega 64 as well.

This means Navi with 8.5-9TF would be like putting 12TF Vega card in closed box. People wanted Nvidia flops, and they got them. No reason to hang on pure numbers when flop v flop, Navi beats Vega by >30%.

It’s possible they might just be 8TF navi but the idiots that were lowballing the ps5T TF were talking about AMD’s GCN TF.

R600

Banned
You'll push more heat/power through a 36/40 CU chip clocked 1800-1900Mhz to reach 8-9TF than a 56CU chip @1540Mhz = 11TF
That and 4k + rt is why stand firm on my prediction of 11TF+
Depends entirely on what CU/GHz sweetspot is. If Sony would rather cool smaller chip a bit harder then pay much more for bigger chip (yields of 56CU chip would be terrible on 7nm) its entirely up to them.

You have to add RT hardware somewhere, so 16 more CUs then full 251mm2 Navi is out of question IMO. We might see 44, 48 TOPS, but few will naturally be deactivated.

Seriously, we had same story back in 2013 when best performing console (PS4) had 60% less TF of top AMD card.

Nothing we know points to chip with more TF then Navi10 XT, really nothing. 56CU chip (4CUs disabled) @1500GHz would be 10.5TF and it would be 310mm2 just for GPU part. Not gonna happen, quote me on that.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Dear reeee-,

seroquel.jpg

Take one in the morning with breakfast.

Yours truly,

Crusty XOXOXO

P.S.- Red rover, red rover, send AnthonyHopkins right over. Hahahaha.

And we already got SpinningBirdKick, who's like the Agent 47 of his particular iteration. The rich get richer.
giphy.gif

R600

Banned
It’s possible they might just be 8TF navi but the idiots that were lowballing the ps5T TF were talking about AMD’s GCN TF.
Not really, seems to me people are going "10TF or bust" for either console. Navi or Vega, people dont care as long as its 10TF.

My personal opinion is that 12.9TF and "Almost 13TF dev kits" that Benji shared on twitter where related to Vega card used to emulate ~8.5TF Navi + hw RT that will be used in retail console but Sony obviously couldnt get chip out so early when dev kits where sent (January).

SonGoku

Depends entirely on what CU/GHz sweetspot is. If Sony would rather cool smaller chip a bit harder then pay much more for bigger chip (yields of 56CU chip would be terrible on 7nm) its entirely up to them.

You have to add RT hardware somewhere, so 16 more CUs then full 251mm2 Navi is out of question IMO. We might see 44, 48 TOPS, but few will naturally be deactivated.

Seriously, we had same story back in 2013 when best performing console (PS4) had 60% less TF of top AMD card.

Nothing we know points to chip with more TF then Navi10 XT, really nothing. 56CU chip (4CUs disabled) @1500GHz would be 10.5TF and it would be 310mm2 just for GPU part. Not gonna happen, quote me on that.
To make a 64CU APU (RT silicon included) it would take 385 mm2
For reference Launch PS4 was roughly 350 mm2 for $399

Big Navi might go all the way up to 80CUs possibly hitting 16TF
Also 6nm allows to shrink 7nm designs with minimal investment/retooling in 2021. Quick cost reduction that wasn't available back when PS4 launched

Another big factor supporting a big die is that starting with 7nm the node transitions biggest gains are in the density increase not so much for power reductions. Long term a bigger chip design will go through more cost reductions than a smaller chip clocked higher.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
To make a 64CU APU (RT silicon included) it would take 385 mm2
For reference Launch PS4 was roughly 350 mm2 for $399

Big Navi might go all the way up to 80CUs
Also 6nm allows to shrink 7nm designs with minimal investment/retooling in 2021. Quick cost reduction that wasn't available back when PS4 launched

Another big factor supporting a big die is that starting with 7nm the node transitions biggest gains are in the density increase not so much for power reductions. Long term a bigger chip design will go through more cost reductions than a smaller chip clocked higher.
How much would 64CU part cost? Obviously few CUs will be deactivated. 380-390mm2 die will be SUPER expensive at 7nm, definitely palpable compared to 348mm2 PS4 die at 28nm.

Even still, with 64CU (or 60 active ones) you would really struggle to get above 10TF just duo to TDP.

For comparison sake. Full Pitcairn was 20CUs at 1GHz, using 175W. Full Navi XT is 40CU at 1.9GHz and 225W.

Sony went with cut down Pitcairn+ 200MHz downclock for PS4. How are they gonna fit GPU that uses 30% more watts then GPU that they cut down and underclocked for PS4? I am standing by my predictions, 40-48CUs at 1.5-1.8GHz for 8-9TF of power. Absolute max.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

PS5 :

Die size 315-350mm2
Zen2 @3.2GHz
20GB of GDDR6
Some sort of RT hardware
1TB SSD
500$

Scarlett

Die size 360-390mm2
Zen2 @3.2GHz
20GB GDDR6
Hardware RT
1TB SSD
500$ maybe more

I don't think Samsung has any 20gb chips. If they go with the 18Gb/s chips they can do 16 or 24

SonGoku

How much would 64CU part cost? Obviously few CUs will be deactivated. 380-390mm2 die will be SUPER expensive at 7nm, definitely palpable compared to 348mm2 PS4 die at 28nm.
More expensive sure but a $500 price and Sony willingness to take a small short term loss will offset that
As 7nm matures and yields improve costs will go down, we still have a year left
Even still, with 64CU (or 60 active ones) you would really struggle to get above 10TF just duo to TDP.
You must disable 8CUs at a time on bigger chips (4 SEs)
Full Navi XT is 40CU at 1.9TF and 225W.
5700XT clocks all the way up to 1950Mhz
56 CU with a lower voltage to sustain 1540 Mhz = 11TF will consume less power
Thats how

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

For comparison sake. Full Pitcairn was 20CUs at 1GHz, using 175W. Full Navi XT is 40CU at 1.9GHz and 225W.

Sony went with cut down Pitcairn+ 200MHz downclock for PS4. How are they gonna fit GPU that uses 30% more watts then GPU that they cut down and underclocked for PS4? I am standing by my predictions, 40-48CUs at 1.5-1.8GHz for 8-9TF of power. Absolute max.
The ps4 was somewhere around $150. That leaves a good 300 for ram and cooling.

Uhd disk drives are only $20

Until they release another x five years from now at a higher price and you hear morons patting themselves on the back saying "Microsoft engineers are Uber gods, look they created the most powerful console in the world" forgetting that duhhh its the latest console released years after lol 😂

in all fairness, the X was art in console form. The Surface guys know what they are doing and even invented entirely new processes and techniques to build the thing. Its an amazing machine regardless.

Im not sure if the same team is building the Scarlett or not but if they are it will be the best built and quality machine out of the two, no doubt in my mind. PS5 could still inch it our in pure TFLOPs though.

Last edited:

I still don't like the idea of caching, only because it means more tear and wear for those precious QLC NAND cells. Even worse if it's soldered and non-replaceable!

Few people will know or remember this, but PS3 also had a dedicated 2GB HDD cache partition for BD-ROM games.

As you can guess, it was overwritten way too often, which meant more tear and wear for that flaky Blu-Ray laser (it had more trouble reading dual-layer discs).

So yeah, 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD is gonna be dirt cheap for a $499 console in late 2020, worry not. :)

A pure SSD solution (2-4GB/s) will also be needed to fill a modest-sized but fast unified DRAM pool (24GB) in no time. Both companies want to minimize friction (huge loading times is a deterrent for many people, which hurts engagement).

If they go with a hybrid SSD/HDD solution, I can see them raising the DRAM up to 32GB and downgrading the GDDR6 bus to 256-bit (no bueno).

Hope you're right of course but I'm not holding my breath
Dont see why the doubt for SSD. Mark cerny himself stated it would be the fast SSD so far and their goal is to have seamless experience. I dont see the benifit in outright lying, maybe if he used vague language to describe the SSD i would agree but to directly state its the fastest is something else imo

SonGoku

in all fairness, the X was art in console form. The Surface guys know what they are doing and even invented entirely new processes and techniques to build the thing. Its an amazing machine regardless.

Im not sure if the same team is building the Scarlett or not but if they are it will be the best built and quality machine out of the two, no doubt in my mind. PS5 could still inch it our in pure TFLOPs though.
Not to take away from the surface team, they did a wonderful job designing for a [premium console
But PS4 has sorcerer designers that maximized space efficiency for maximum profits.

So yeah, 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD is gonna be dirt cheap for a $499 console in late 2020, worry not. :)

If any company wants to win easy brownie points with customers then they could give a larger SSD as standard.

The (wo)man on the street probably doesn't know or care about TF.

But they all know how fast the HD has filled up with games this generation.

A 2TB vs 1TB drive is a solid USP.

Good idea
500GB model $399
1TB model $449
2TB model $499

It would promote people buying the more profitable $500 system

Nah. As standard.

Less friction = more purchases.

Alternatively: "I really want to buy Gears 19 but I've still got Halo 12 stinking up the SSD that I haven't completed yet and I'm out of storage space. I guess I'll hold off that purchase..."

Last edited:
Good idea
500GB model $399
1TB model $449
2TB model $499

It would promote people buying the more profitable $500 system
500GB SSD will be slower than 1-2TB ones, which is gonna affect the baseline reading speed/IOPs.

They'll just offer 1 SKU at $499. Not sure if it's gonna be profitable day 1 (I want them to subsidize it with their PSN profits and not skimp on APU die size).

Any estimations about 7nm wafer costs in late 2020 and how much a hefty ~400mm2 chip would cost?

SonGoku

Nah. As standard.

Less friction = more purchases.

Alertnatively: "I really want to buy Gears 19 but I've still got Halo 12 stinking up the SSD that I haven't completed yet and I'm out of storage space. I guess I'll hold off that purchase..."
I agree but considering 2TB is going to be $500 anyways why not have a 500GB model to hit that $400 marketing checkbox
500GB SSD will be slower than 1-2TB ones
Why?
Any estimations about 7nm wafer costs in late 2020 and how much a hefty ~400mm2 chip would cost?
I read 15% increase over same size at 28nm back then, not sure how accurate it is

Last edited:
I agree but considering 2TB is going to be $500 anyways why not have a 500GB model to hit that $400 marketing checkbox

Why?
SSDs are basically arrays of NAND chips. The more flash chips you have, the faster the SSD is (assuming the controller can handle it).

A 2TB SSD is probably too much, even with late 2020 prices. 1TB will be the sweet spot and 2TB will be left for Pro models/future SKUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom