• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fake

Gold Member
the amount of turns this thread has taken. we have had leaks. pastebins. 2007 console wars. ps4 crap throwing. 7nm wars. tweets with random letters and numbers. 8tf scandal. Random benchmarks. cant wait to see what next weeks storyline is
At this point we can even make a Netflix series.

SonGoku

Hope to god and sony and ms use this opportunity. fuck the current 7nm
It’s a known fact that Samsung deliberately chose to take it slow with its equivalent of TSMC’s first-generation 7nm process node in order to focus on Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography.
Samsung’s Reseach Paper For 7nm EUV Suggests That The Process Is Power Efficient Over 7nm ArF And Ready For Volume Production

Samsung Electronics will start mass production of 7 nanometer (nm) extreme ultraviolet (EUV) chips in June, the first time in the global semiconductor industry.
Kim Ki-nam, vice chairman of Samsung Electronics, expressed confidence at a general shareholders meeting last month that the company would be able to mass-produce 7 nm EUV products ahead of its rivals. But there is a possibility that TSMS becomes the first company to mass produce 7 nm EUV chips by a few days.
Nvidia's move is likely to determine the fates of companies in the foundry industry in the future. Currently known 7 nm EUV customers include Apple, Samsung Electronics's Mobile Division, Qualcomm, Huawei and AMD, and there are not many fabless companies that are able to take advantage of the most advanced processes which are expensive.
Separately, one source said that Samsung is aggressively undercutting prices for its 7-nm node with EUV, offering some startups a full mask set for less than a multi-layer mask (MLM) set at its rival. TSMC introduced the MLM mask sets in 2007 to lower costs for small-volume runs. They are said to be about 60% of the cost of a full mask set.
Samsung also made a deal with AMD for its upcoming RDNA architecture, where Samsung gained access to AMD's IP and can now fab GPUs with AMD technology. Though this deal differs in that Samsung is making these chips for their own devices and not for AMD, it does show how keen Samsung is on leveraging its foundries and 7nm process in order to make partnerships with companies such as AMD and Nvidia

12-13TF KAIJU here we come

Last edited:

12-13TF KAIJU here we come
thats fucking great but this dude brought a up a point on how there is no midrange die for 7nm+

SonGoku

thats fucking great but this dude brought a up a point on how there is no midrange die for 7nm+

i guess they dont want to risk production issues (remember 7nm+ will only be next year, so they wont have much time, also this gen's consoles launched on year old nodes iirc).
7nm+ yields are already on par with 7nm, its the same done with EUV layers to reduce complexities
there is no 7nm+ mid range die, you would think one would exist if consoles are using it (because usually AMD creates both consumer cards and consoles off the same die)
I don't understand wtf this means
Paging N Negotiator LordOfChaos LordOfChaos ethomaz ethomaz P Panajev2001a F Fafalada

Last edited:

SonGoku

I have no idea what he means but some guys are asking him more questions.
I think he means there's no released midrange card (300-400mm2 die?) using 7nm+
But that's not conclusive, semicustom 7nm+ engineering samples can exist without the need for retail cards to be released

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
giphy.gif

:pie_thinking: Wisdom for the Duke.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
7nm+ yields are already on par with 7nm, its the same done with EUV layers to reduce complexities

Paging N Negotiator LordOfChaos LordOfChaos ethomaz ethomaz P Panajev2001a F Fafalada

I think, as others have posted there, that the facts that AMD has not shown a version of the RDNA cores or Zen in 7nm+ (they may have for future chips like Zen2+ or Zen3), that the design libraries they use to design, layout, route, and simulate their physical processors in 7nm are not compatible with 7nm+ (meaning that either they would have to “port” the 7nm designs over in a more manual way, or they would have to target a half step node like 6nm which TSMC May have available or not, or they would have had to start the design in 7nm+ straight), and that the 7nm+ node becomes available for mass use too close to the projected launch date of the new consoles (current consoles launching with a year old node or so)... gave people doubts as to wether 7nm+ made sense for either console.

SonGoku

Thanks for the valuable insight
that the design libraries they use to design, layout, route, and simulate their physical processors in 7nm are not compatible with 7nm+
Correct, RDNA2 is a 7nm+ design which is what drove me to think next gen consoles chips are designed for 7nm EUV from the start
The only odd one out would be Zen2 which is a 7nm design but there shouldn't be any difficulty in porting it to 7nm+ considering Zen3 is a similar arch designed for 7nm+
I think, as others have posted there, that the facts that AMD has not shown a version of the RDNA cores or Zen in 7nm+
But why would they? their 7nm+ lineup is projected for 2020/2021, showing them now would take away hype from their upcoming products
7nm+ node becomes available for mass use too close to the projected launch date of the new consoles
Both Samsung's and TSCM's 7nm EUV is entering mass production this year, TSCM claims N7+ yields are on par with 7nm

I mean could be plausible right? after all 7nm+ its the same node with added EUV layers that also happen to reduce complexity (better yields)

TLZ

Banned
Added. :)

1. Its a bit shit compared to Nvidia, but FFV is heavily Nvidia biased title anyway
2. 12% better score then Radeon7 (13.8TF) is great
So now 9.75 RDNA TF are better than 13.8 GCN TF? That's great if true.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
So now 9.75 RDNA TF are better than 13.8 GCN TF? That's great if true.
Only FFXV for now. I think, in games where GCN was competitve, advantage will be smaller. But in games where GCN was already weak, XT will punch far above its weight.

R600

Banned
ComputeX-2019-PS5-host-GPU-confirmed-to-adopt-AMD-Navi-architecture-00.jpg

I think both will be 7nm. Problem with consoles is design has to be "locked" years in advance, therefore ever increasing amount of "+" nodes cannot be correctly pin pointed, as far as timeframe goes, so to say. Therefore, I think they made their bed years ago when they started to design for 7nm node where both, Zen2 and Navi+, are designed upon.

Alsk, rather well known source "Digitime" has said consoles are going to be on TSMC 7nm.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Only FFXV for now. I think, in games where GCN was competitve, advantage will be smaller. But in games where GCN was already weak, XT will punch far above its weight.
Hmm. Imo both Sony and MS have to explain this RDNA TF message clearly. How in the past GCN TF numbers would need to be higher, but it's not necessary with RDNA now and how it's equivalent to so and so. Whenever both reveal specs. To avoid disappointment when single digits are revealed.

Last edited:

jonnyp

ComputeX-2019-PS5-host-GPU-confirmed-to-adopt-AMD-Navi-architecture-00.jpg

I think both will be 7nm. Problem with consoles is design has to be "locked" years in advance, therefore ever increasing amount of "+" nodes cannot be correctly pin pointed, as far as timeframe goes, so to say. Therefore, I think they made their bed years ago when they started to design for 7nm node where both, Zen2 and Navi+, are designed upon.

Alsk, rather well known source "Digitime" has said consoles are going to be on TSMC 7nm.

What do they need to change to go to 7nm EUV other than the masks (of which there will be a lot fewer of probably)?

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

What do they need to change to go to 7nm EUV other than the masks (of which there will be a lot fewer of probably)?

As I understand it (someone please correct me if wrong) is that 7nm and 7nm +/EUV aren't compatible (TSMC have made 6nm that is) and will require a completely separate design?

Also these console APUs would've been design complete last year I'd imagine and far too late to switch to EUV.

ANIMAL1975

Beaten lol was about to post it. Some interesting stuff:
TOKYO— Sony Corp.’s next-generation PlayStation is still more than a year away, but its marketing strategy against newcomers like Google is already clear: Focus on hard-core gamers who obsess over the latest features.

Once a side project for the Tokyo electronics maker, the PlayStation has become Sony’s flagship consumer product. In the most recent fiscal year, the PlayStation unit, including services like videogame subscriptions, led Sony units with more than $21 billion in revenue and nearly $3 billion in operating profit.

57bEQaB.png

That's more or less 1.42 trillions difference to Sony pictures 🤔 wait what 😲

Last edited:

I think we should forget TSMC for next-gen consoles, they're more likely to choose Samsung from the get-go, since their 7nm+ process is already in full swing. nVidia is also switching to Samsung, even though they had a long-time partnership with TSMC.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the PS4 SS APU will be manufactured by Samsung and not TSMC. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a whisper quiet console.

7nm EUV makes sense not because it's newer (that's an added bonus), but because it's dramatically cheaper and this matters for consoles.

"It was originally expected that Nvidia would be using the 7nm process from TSMC, which has found its way onto Apple iPhones and AMD CPUs and GPUs, but according to EETimes, Samsung has apparently "aggressively undercut" TSMC."

"Separately, one source said that Samsung is aggressively undercutting prices for its 7-nm node with EUV, offering some startups a full mask set for less than a multi-layer mask (MLM) set at its rival. TSMC introduced the MLM mask sets in 2007 to lower costs for small-volume runs. They are said to be about 60% of the cost of a full mask set."

Last edited:
I think we should forget TSMC for next-gen consoles, they're more likely to choose Samsung from the get-go, since their 7nm+ process is already in full swing. nVidia is also switching to Samsung, even though they had a long-time partnership with TSMC.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the PS4 SS APU will be manufactured by Samsung and not TSMC. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a whisper quiet console.

7nm EUV makes sense not because it's newer (that's an added bonus), but because it's dramatically cheaper and this matters for consoles.

"It was originally expected that Nvidia would be using the 7nm process from TSMC, which has found its way onto Apple iPhones and AMD CPUs and GPUs, but according to EETimes, Samsung has apparently "aggressively undercut" TSMC."

"Separately, one source said that Samsung is aggressively undercutting prices for its 7-nm node with EUV, offering some startups a full mask set for less than a multi-layer mask (MLM) set at its rival. TSMC introduced the MLM mask sets in 2007 to lower costs for small-volume runs. They are said to be about 60% of the cost of a full mask set."
Only problem is many people, especially in reee era dont think the 7nm+ will make it to consoles by the time it launches

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-positions-next-playstation-for-hard-core-gamers-11561800603

this screams to me a 499$ beast baby. This takes the 399 price point out the fucking window which makes happy. In the article sony made a point on how people want high end graphics for games, which means more powerful hardware. ruthentic cookies' leaks are becoming more and more real lol. He was on the money.

SonGoku SonGoku N Negotiator

Alternatively, enjoy the warm up act for an upcoming mic drop.

"The key to a platform's success is initial momentum," he said. "Our critical success factor for next-gen will be our ability to transition our community from PS4 to next-gen faster than we've ever done before, before then broadening out to new audiences."

How do you guarantee momentum and fast uptake?

Not with a high price...

"A second Sony official said the company believes people buy a videogame console to play graphics-heavy games. "

"Sony says a high-powered machine in the home will still be necessary to run the latest graphics stably because cloud services rely on sometimes-balky internet connections. The next PlayStation will be capable of processing 8K ultra-high-definition graphics, said the PlayStation unit’s chief, Jim Ryan, in May. "

"Mr. Yoshida, the Sony CEO, described the fifth-generation PlayStation as “dramatically increasing the graphics-rendering speed” and said the change “clearly demonstrates why it makes sense to have a next-generation console.” "

A lot of empahsis on making the ps5 a powerful machine for harcore gamers. Maybe sony can release on for 400 dollars under a heavy loss

SpinningBirdKick SpinningBirdKick

He has been on the money with almost everything, he leaked ape escape, anthems delays, sony not attending etc.

Let's go over this one more time.

People still haven't figured out how "leaks" work it seems.

Items in leaks that are corroborated by future events are things that don't matter to strategy.

They are given as a freebie to lend weight to the facts that you want to distort.

"A second Sony official said the company believes people buy a videogame console to play graphics-heavy games. "

"Sony says a high-powered machine in the home will still be necessary to run the latest graphics stably because cloud services rely on sometimes-balky internet connections. The next PlayStation will be capable of processing 8K ultra-high-definition graphics, said the PlayStation unit’s chief, Jim Ryan, in May. "

"Mr. Yoshida, the Sony CEO, described the fifth-generation PlayStation as “dramatically increasing the graphics-rendering speed” and said the change “clearly demonstrates why it makes sense to have a next-generation console.” "

A lot of empahsis on making the ps5 a powerful machine for harcore gamers. Maybe sony can release on for 400 dollars under a heavy loss

SpinningBirdKick SpinningBirdKick

You won't get a fast transition just targeting the hardcore.

Yes, they are big spenders but make up a fraction of a mass market consumer base of ~100m users.

Look at it this way. They have stated that the PS4 will be THE revenue driver for a couple of years. If you want to surpass that quickly (<3 years?) that is going to need a huge switch very quickly.

What lever matters most to the mass market? Price.

Alternatively, enjoy the warm up act for an upcoming mic drop.

How do you guarantee momentum and fast uptake?

Not with a high price...
Well if your right thens thats fucking wack and contradicts there message of wanting a powerful console. Its lame to not take advantage of upcoming tech to give the console longivity hardware wise at least. Like we have the potential to have a console with little to no bottlenecks. It seems like every gen there is like some bottleneck lol. one gen its cpu is good and the gpu is meh, one gen the cpu is bad and the gpu is ok. We could have a console thats a balanced on both lol

Yes, they are big spenders but make up a fraction of a mass market consumer base of ~100m users.

Look at it this way. They have stated that the PS4 will be THE revenue driver for a couple of years. If you want to surpass that quickly (<3 years?) that is going to need a huge switch very quickly.

Okay if so, where are these sony officials saying the opposite lol. maybe mixed messaging.

Last edited:

In 2-3 years we should have 5nm to make PS5 even cheaper.

TSMC-Improvements.png

xool

I'll be happy to eat crow but I think you're 100% wrong on this. TSMC has/is producing CPU and GPUs at 7 nm for AMD , TSMC has already made 7nm chips - eg Apple A12 (late 2018) , Samsung hasn't made a single 7 nm chip yet ..

Apparently Nvidia is jumping to Samsung to 7nm for its (big) chips so they must have some confidence in the process - however its not the usual way to start on a new node with the biggest chips - the expectation would be problems and delays.

PS5 launch is a year off, so there's time for Samsung's 7nm to get good, but I'd be suprised if an AMD APU is made there next year.

I'll be happy to eat crow but I think you're 100% wrong on this. TSMC has/is producing CPU and GPUs at 7 nm for AMD , TSMC has already made 7nm chips - eg Apple A12 (late 2018) , Samsung hasn't made a single 7 nm chip yet ..

Apparently Nvidia is jumping to Samsung to 7nm for its (big) chips so they must have some confidence in the process - however its not the usual way to start on a new node with the biggest chips - the expectation would be problems and delays.

PS5 launch is a year off, so there's time for Samsung's 7nm to get good, but I'd be suprised if an AMD APU is made there next year.
in the samsung 7nm+ article, samsung stated that they are interested in giving chips to both amd and nvidia

In 2-3 years we should have 5nm to make PS5 even cheaper.

TSMC-Improvements.png

Can be bought cheaper after, let's say 3 years on the market doesn't seem very quick though. It sounds like the exact opposite to the Ryan quote.

Future cost reductions will obviously help but that's not going to affect initial momentum. You need price to do that. It's what the mass market understands, not TF, SSD, RT etc.

Can be bought cheaper after, let's say 3 years on the market doesn't seem very quick though. It sounds like the exact opposite to the Ryan quote.

Future cost reductions will obviously help but that's not going to affect initial momentum. You need price to do that. It's what the mass market understands, not TF, SSD, RT etc.
can you link me to the article with that has the ryan quote you posted?

Okay if so, where are these sony officials saying the opposite lol. maybe mixed messaging.

That's the whole point.

Salesman tactics.

"Look how premium this feels..."
"Each of these parts are precision engineered..."
"How much do you think something of this quality costs?"
"... and you can own it today for only [less than you imagined]!"
"Shut up and take my money!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom