• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpance

In 2-3 years we should have 5nm to make PS5 even cheaper.

TSMC-Improvements.png

I wonder if it would be worth it to go from Samsung 7nm EUV to TSMC 6nm for the first model revision.

xPikYx

The mass market is not likely to spend much for a console and also in the gpu market, the mid range are the most bought, but honestly I'd rather spend 800£ for a high end console if this means a generation leap

I'll be happy to eat crow but I think you're 100% wrong on this. TSMC has/is producing CPU and GPUs at 7 nm for AMD , TSMC has already made 7nm chips - eg Apple A12 (late 2018) , Samsung hasn't made a single 7 nm chip yet ..

Apparently Nvidia is jumping to Samsung to 7nm for its (big) chips so they must have some confidence in the process - however its not the usual way to start on a new node with the biggest chips - the expectation would be problems and delays.

PS5 launch is a year off, so there's time for Samsung's 7nm to get good, but I'd be suprised if an AMD APU is made there next year.
Then you need to find a plausible explanation about why:

1) Sony/MS won't launch next-gen consoles in late 2019, even though Apple has been using 7nm DUV since 2018 (as you said).
2) nVidia will be able to use 7nm EUV for Ampere GPUs in 2020, but Sony/MS will not be able to do the same for next-gen consoles released in late 2020.
3) Sony/MS would pass up on cost savings offered by 7nm EUV, while nVidia is going to take advantage of that.

If anything, history has taught us that console users are way more price-conscious consumers than PC/nVidia users. :)

I wonder if it would be worth it to go from Samsung 7nm EUV to TSMC 6nm for the first model revision.
IIRC, they have switched from GlobalFoundries (28nm planar) to TSMC (16nm FinFET) and it seems like they're gonna switch to Samsung (7nm EUV) this time around.

Each fab has different toolsets (so it's not an easy process), but if the cost savings are worth it, they're definitely gonna switch partners (as they've done already many times in the past).

That's the beauty of being fabless, you have freedom of choice (which Intel sadly doesn't have, for example).

That's the whole point.

Salesman tactics.

"Look how premium this feels..."
"Each of these parts are precision engineered..."
"How much do you think something of this quality costs?"
"... and you can own it today for only [less than you imagined]!"
"Shut up and take my money!"
What's your take regarding BoM and MSRP? How much of a loss would they be willing to take?

CyberPanda

Banned

Do indie devs have dev kits yet for Project Scarlett? Or is it too early for that?

Chris Charla:
I don't think we're talking about dev kit availability right now. I apologise, I can't really amplify anything that was said about Scarlett more than what Phil talked about onstage.

What are you looking forward to, in terms of the opportunities offered by Project Scarlett?

Chris Charla:
When we're looking at the hardware capabilities, it's really exciting, and I'm really excited about ray tracing - not just for graphics, but for the other things you can do with ray tracing like using ray tracing for collision, and even audio.

Have you spoken to any indie devs yet about their ideas for Scarlett?

Chris Charla:
Not as such - we haven't gone out and said "these are the specs, make something", because we see our role as just telling people what's there, what's available. Because most independent developers are relatively small, they typically don't have research departments or that kind of thing.

We see a lot of sales data and marketing data, so when we do confidential developer conferences, one of the things we do is present that data to developers, in an aggregated and non-identifiable way, so they can make smart market decisions or at least understand where the market's going, or where we see the market going.

THE:MILKMAN

Its was confirmed via matt from reset era

He didn't confirm that. He said the plan was always 2019 for PS5 but plans can change. That isn't confirmation and he hasn't spoken a word about release since because he got a load of flak for his 2019 talk as I and others did.

Bottom line is 2019 may not ever have been the plan and 2020 was. We'll probably never know (unless by a miracle PS5 releases this year ;)

At this point it is too late. The AMD E3 presser pic R600 posted on the previous page shows the PS5 chip is 7nm and not 7nm+/7nm EUV.
Where does it say that?

Sony/MS haven't revealed technical details such as CUs, clocks, memory amount/bandwidth and lithography.

AMD has said Zen 2 uses a chiplet structure. Does that mean that consoles (Zen 2 is confirmed by both Sony & MS) will use chiplets as well?

If the Scarlett PCB is anything to go by (for all I know, it could be a fake CGI render to deceive Sony, but I'll assume it's true for now), consoles will stick to a traditional monolithic structure.

If a chiplet APU was possible, we would most likely see next-gen consoles releasing in late 2019 with 7nm DUV and Navi 10 would also be able to use chiplets (a la Threadripper) to beat nVidia.

"I'm really excited about ray tracing - not just for graphics, but for the other things you can do with ray tracing like using ray tracing for collision, and even audio"
Dedicated/fixed-function RT cores only perform BVH acceleration, not audio ray-tracing (you'll need GPGPU compute/shader pipelines for that, if TrueAudio Next is anything to go by).

He didn't confirm that. He said the plan was always 2019 for PS5 but plans can change. That isn't confirmation and he hasn't spoken a word about release since because he got a load of flak for his 2019 talk as I and others did.

Bottom line is 2019 may not ever have been the plan and 2020 was. We'll probably never know (unless by a miracle PS5 releases this year ;)
If the 2019 plan was ever true, then that Gonzalo APU might have made sense, but it got canned. Or it could have been the Lockhart APU (which also got canned, if Phil's latest statements are truthful) or a SuborZ successor... there are lots of possibilities and nothing concrete so far.

ComputeX-2019-PS5-host-GPU-confirmed-to-adopt-AMD-Navi-architecture-00.jpg

"powered by 7nm"
It doesn't clarify the type of 7nm (DUV, EUV) or the exact Navi configuration. It's too generic (which makes sense for a presentation like that).

As I said, we may as well assume it's gonna use off-the-shelf Zen 2 chiplet... that's 7nm DUV as well, isn't it? ;)

The only thing thats bugging me is the fucking gpu. I dont know if i am convinced that 8tflops of navi will provide longivity in terms of power for the console.

There are two conflicting arguements from two sides that i hear. One says that 8-9tflops is very good because its power effiencent while other side says its not good enough because its not good enough for longivity and wont be enough to power 4k games and such.

I am gonna need some help lmao.

thanks.

llien

How come Navi being amazingly small for that performance segment a bad news?

2) nVidia will be able to use 7nm EUV for Ampere GPUs in 2020, but Sony/MS will not be able to do the same for next-gen consoles released in late 2020.
They did process bump with PS4, why not with PS5?

The only thing thats bugging me is the fucking gpu. I dont know if i am convinced that 8tflops of navi will provide longivity in terms of power for the console.
What does "8tflops or navi" mean, pretty please?
If Vega 64 is 100%, what % is the said Navi?

Last edited:

Dedicated/fixed-function RT cores only perform BVH acceleration, not audio ray-tracing (you'll need GPGPU compute/shader pipelines for that, if TrueAudio Next is anything to go by).

If the 2019 plan was ever true, then that Gonzalo APU might have made sense, but it got canned. Or it could have been the Lockhart APU (which also got canned, if Phil's latest statements are truthful) or a SuborZ successor... there are lots of possibilities and nothing concrete so far.

It doesn't clarify the type of 7nm (DUV, EUV) or the exact Navi configuration. It's too generic (which makes sense for a presentation like that).

As I said, we may as well assume it's gonna use off-the-shelf Zen 2 chiplet... that's 7nm DUV as well, isn't it? ;)

I think you have it right when you say nothing is concrete. Better to be conservative than dream and have them crushed. Saying that I'm much less concerned about power/specs this gen than last so the talk about 8TF being disappointing I find quite amusing after what this gens games have produced!

What's your take regarding BoM and MSRP? How much of a loss would they be willing to take?

BOM > MSRP

Sony will almost certainly be aggressively priced. Every reveal, bar the PS3, has been future tech at a good price.

Everyone assumes this is going to be a continuation of this generation. But I think that a PS1 to PS2 business approach is a better model. Hugely successful current generation, backwards compatibility to lock in the users. This is how the PS2 reveal went:

We all know how that generation ended. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

MS on the other hand have to be aggressive too. This generation they were continually having to slash the price to stimulate the demand, which still didn't work. They can't afford not to have a good launch price because they will again be playing catch up.

Sony will go lower than 499 and MS will match or vice versa. I would be surprised if any system launches at 499.

Last edited:

There are two conflicting arguements from two sides that i hear. One says that 8-9tflops is very good because its power effiencent while other side says its not good enough because its not good enough for longivity and wont be enough to power 4k games and such.

thanks.
There are 2 schools of thought:

1) The PC-centric one focuses on rasterization (drawing/shading 3D triangles efficiently) first and foremost (hence why nVidia cards are so popular with their smart rendering solution, aka Gigapixel's tiled rendering) and uses the CPU for the rest of calculations (AI/NPC simulation).

Compute is rarely used on PCs for many reasons (lack of standardization, baseline is all over the place, PC-focused programmers are not really fond of low-level stuff, PCIe latency).

For example, Witcher 3 uses the CPU for AI pathfinding (which tanks the framerate on Jaguar consoles), while console-exclusive games (like Uncharted 4) use the GPGPU to run that algorithm:

Is it possible to offload Novigrad's AI calculations on the GPGPU? If ND had made Witcher 3, then yeah.

Would Uncharted 4 MP (it has up to 10 NPCs with their own autonomous AI behavior) run at 60 fps without smart coding like that? Hell no!

2) The console-centric one focuses on compute and less beefy CPUs.

Cerny made specific forward-thinking customizations (8 ACEs, volatile L2 bit etc.) on a GCN 1.0 part (Radeon 7970M) that brought it up to GCN 1.1 feature parity and gave longevity to the PS4 platform, despite the Jaguar CPU deficiencies.

They offered these customizations for studios like ND, Santa Monica, Guerrilla Games to able to show that the PS4 can punch above its weight with games like Uncharted 4, God of War, HZD etc.

The problem with the PC-centric school of thought is that they don't make any effort to understand the other side and where they're coming from. That's why there are so many (usually fruitless) debates.

They think 8-9 TF would be enough for a console that is meant to last until 2030. They're judging next-gen specs by taking into account current-gen games. This is a fool's errand and it never works.

They also think that using off-the-shelf PC parts would be fine, but it's clearly not. Cerny doesn't seem to think that way.

TL;DR: 8-9 TF might be enough if you only care about 3D graphics, but if you want to do graphics + compute at the same time, then it definitely doesn't fit the bill for next-gen game design/programming.

Better to be conservative than dream and have them crushed.
I currently have $1000 stashed out for PS5/SNEK and I expect the best from both Sony and MS.

Even if we get 8TF consoles, I'm still gonna buy them, but I'll certainly won't expect a ridiculous $499 MSRP. It's either the one (premium/$499) or the other (weak sauce/$349). At worst, I may just save some money. :)

Ovech-King

thanks.

Problems with teraflops these days is that Nvidia and AMD teraflops don't have the same impact on fps at equivalent resolution. However here's how you need to see it in 2019:

Turing (RTX series, GDDR6) > Navi (5700 series , GDDR6) > Vega (HBM2) . For instance Vega have humongous bandwidth and Tflops but for games fps at 4k , its way weaker than the biggest Nvidia cards from the same year

I prefer to look at the evolution of memory bandwidth metric since well have GDDR6 memory and it's easy to pinpoint what has shown so far to be able to do 4k 60fps ultra on almost all games (RTX 2080TI, 616Gb/s) or not .

Last edited:

I currently have $1000 stashed out for PS5/SNEK and I expect the best from both Sony and MS.

Even if we get 8TF consoles, I'm still gonna buy them, but I'll certainly won't expect a ridiculous $499 MSRP. It's either the one (premium/$499) or the other (weak sauce/$349). At worst, I may just save some money

Yeah for me personally I have no worries about cost but of course I appreciate that isn't the case for the vast majority. My two hopes for launch are for amazing games in the launch window (including surprises) and a better built and quieter console (this one is probably less likely).

Also if it that 8TF performs like a 12TF Vega I really won't care. My car has a tiny 1.0 ltr 3 cylinder engine but it performs equal/better than an old 1.6 ltr.

IceManCat

I honestly wouldn’t have any issue paying $600 for a console. The economy is much better today then when the ps4 dropped. Unemployment is much lower overall, we have the lowest unemployment rate in history at the moment. I don’t know if this factors into proving but I would think that it should. Aside from that their is a new culture of “phone upgrading” in which people are spending 600$ every two years to get the latest and greatest. I would think this factors somewhat into the price scheme. I’m speaking in regards to the US.

Also if it that 8TF performs like a 12TF Vega I really won't care. My car has a tiny 1.0 ltr 3 cylinder engine but it performs equal/better than an old 1.6 ltr.
I always take efficiency improvements for granted when a next-gen leap happens, so I don't know why people bring this up.

Aren't GCN flops more efficient vs TeraScale/VLIW flops (Xenos, Latte) or RSX (discrete pixel/vertex shaders)?

Navi improves the rasterization efficiency quite a bit by utilizing extensive compression in various pipelines (according to AMD's diagrams):

small_navi-cache.jpg

I'm still not sure if that's the fabled "Maxwell sauce" or if we should also expect some sort of tiled rendering on top of it. Vega had DSBR, did Navi get rid of this?

Aceofspades

Banned
RDNA improvements have thrown all TF talk out of the window.

Prior to RDNA reveal, people expectations were 12-14TF of inefficient GCN power. Guess what?! We are actually getting a 12-14 TF of GCN GPU power in a more efficient 9.2TF of RDNA arch.

Comparing TF is useless on different architectures, its mind boggling to me when someone say , "next gen is only 2 TF higher than Xbox one X?!" Forgetting that Xbox one X is using this obsolete arch full of inefficiencies, X GPU would lose handily to a 3TF Nvidia Gpu or a 4TF more advanced RDNA one.

Navi is massively good news for next gen consoles, unlike PCs where I feel Navi offerings were ok.

IceManCat

thanks.

I also wonder the same, an 8tf gpu is somewhat equivalent to a nvidia 1080. The 1080 runs most games at around 4K/60 but it does struggle in certain like gta 5 at 4K oinks gets about 35 fps there are other current gen games that fall below 60fps maxed out at 4K. If you get that kind of performance with current gen I don’t think we can expect to get much out of next gen I’m guessing they’ll have to bump the resolution down to 1440p to get all of the new effects in.

I always take efficiency improvements for granted when a next-gen leap happens, so I don't know why people bring this up.

Aren't GCN flops more efficient vs TeraScale/VLIW flops (Xenos, Latte) or RSX (discrete pixel/vertex shaders)?

Navi improves the rasterization efficiency quite a bit by utilizing extensive compression in various pipelines (according to AMD's diagrams):

small_navi-cache.jpg

I'm still not sure if that's the fabled "Maxwell sauce" or if we should also expect some sort of tiled rendering on top of it. Vega had DSBR, did Navi get rid of this?

Like I say performance is king. I don't even get involved in how much more efficient the GPUs are or anything along them lines. I have always said I expected 10-12TF GCN for next-gen consoles and that is effectively what Navi looks like (pending reviews) it will provide.

How or why it got there I don't really care.....

Some people post the same thing over and over with very little actual facts, and ignore what devs are reported as saying.

Fact is, anyone saying anything is making a guess, however they want to sugar coat it with made up numbers and their own asumptions.

This is always the worst time of the cycle, Microsoft and Sony have said litterally nothing, so for a bit of internet fame people start posting like they know something, when clearly they dont.

For every pastebin that might be genuine, there are 99 fakes from people that don't like what the genuine one said.

Same with forum posters.

Roll on Microsoft's London event, and PSX to end this annoying drivel.

all true. but i think it's one of the most exciting times here. love it!

and to be honest. after nearly 20 years of gaf and seeing all sorts of console war shitshows, i find this thread oddly civilised, very informative and enjoyable. thanks for the good time folks :)

I'm still betting on $599 BoM and $499 MSRP ($100 loss, which is manageable by their current PSN profits).

$599 BoM and $399 MSRP ($200 loss) would be quite a bold move on their part...

8-9TF better be $349. Nowhere near $499!

would love to see that. but i think the days of crazy sony and microsoft are gone. the will sell at cost best case. i think $500 in a time where people are paying $1000 for their smartsphones will be widely viewed as acceptable pricing. i also think that you could make a $500 box delivering quite a punch (relatively big SOC and elaborate cooling) at 7nm. i don't think we will see 7nm EUV for engineering reasons.

CyberPanda

Banned
Jason Ronald: Xbox Scarlett was developed to eradicate technical bottlenecks

The new Xbox Scarlett console will eat monster for breakfast, and especially bottlenecks and bottlenecks for developers will be eradicated.

At E3 2019, windowscentral's colleagues talked to Microsoft Gaming Team Lead CVP, Mike Ybarra, and Partner Director of Program Management, Jason Ronald, to tick some more interesting details about the new Project Scarlett Xbox console .

Ronald talked about how Scarlett was designed to eliminate bottlenecks in terms of graphics and frame rate, and to make sure that games on the Xbox Scarlett run best. "Plays best on Xbox", will be the motto of Microsoft in the next generation.
Jason Ronald said, "If we look at the overall design of the system, everything from the system on chip (SOC), through the memory we have, to the SSD we have built in there. It's really about eliminating all these bottlenecks so that game developers can realize their vision, and enable developers to create the best possible versions of their games. "Ybarra then pointed out that it was for the team It is very important to say "Where to play games best" .
At the same time you have also talked about the possible price and made it clear that you know very well what a reasonable price for a console.
Jason continued, "We understand the reasonable prices for a console and what customers expect from it. At the same time we are innovative, we push the limits. Today we do not share details about the price or, as you know, any more detailed specifications. But I say that we are very confident that what we are building is something that will set a new bar for the expectations of console games. "
Although not much is known about the new Xbox Scarlett console, but with the support of Ray Traycing, a built-SSD and other top components, the next generation of consoles will still be a costly entry. Or what do you mean?

Gamernyc78

Banned
Beaten lol was about to post it. Some interesting stuff:

57bEQaB.png

That's more or less 1.42 trillions difference to Sony pictures 🤔 wait what 😲

This is what I've been saying for over a year. Playstation is the face of Sony now and they have gone all in. No way they will skimp on making sure it is the best of the best. This bodes well for gamers.

quest

Not Banned from OT
dunno man, why have an XO19 at all if thats the case. I think we're getting some major stuff.

There won't be much till 2020. Sony will probably do another early reveal assuming the power difference are true. Which I think is the case to many reports from industry sources saying it. So February for Sony like last time. That puts MS at their usual May before holiday launch reveal. Unless we a great leak nothing good will be said publically about specs till 2020. They will trickle people to keep excitement up.

Interesting that the article includes a pricing poll of 399, 499, 599. Over 9000 entries pretty evenly split between 399 and 499.

That's on an enthusiast website. Launching at 499 is going to be pushing their luck for any console that wants to catch the mass market's interest.
I think both manufactures are in a much better place this gen. Sony is making records profits thanks to psn, and ms are making good profits also thanks to their new service and plans to expand into the pc market. Since chips are becoming smaller thanks to the 7nm and 6 and so on. price drops should happen more frequently i believe but i could wrong of course

User has been asked to provide their sources to moderators as they persist with this 'insider knowledge'. They are being given a chance to 'put up or shut up'
There won't be much till 2020. Sony will probably do another early reveal assuming the power difference are true. Which I think is the case to many reports from industry sources saying it. So February for Sony like last time. That puts MS at their usual May before holiday launch reveal. Unless we a great leak nothing good will be said publically about specs till 2020. They will trickle people to keep excitement up.
Nah id be really surprised if ps5 was more powerful. As i was told by someone with much knowledge on subject, Xbox will be at very least same or comparable power. So maybe Xbox does the feb reveal ? 😂

MS gave an outline of their plans on the software side at E3. Obviously leading with Halo.

Sony still has big hitters like TLOU2, Ghost and more? that need full reveals and release dates. I can't see all of that stuff being bundled into a single event. The PS4 titles will get their time in the sun first and then the PS5 will be detailed in a later event once the decks are clear. Got to milk those free column inches for all they're worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom