• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ12

Whilst it would be great if the consoles have full native RDNA2 I'm still going to be cautious and assume "next-gen RDNA" just means that RDNA is the next generation architecture after GCN
Originally:
gpuroadmap.png

Now:
ammd-rdna2-2020.jpg

Next-gen is RDNA 2.

Mass Shift

Yeah i know how rrod was caused. My comment still stands though any rrod type situation would be catastrophic. Tht includes overheating, systems shutting down, bricking for whatever reason, etc... There are always chances things could go wrong with over clocking.

Catastrophic and frustrating.

Typically damage from OC progresses over time though. RRODs happened fast, that's why they were so systemic.

THE:MILKMAN

Cerny has talked about their 3D audio chip. I'm pretty sure he has intimated its a seperate chip.

What if this chip is a seperate raycasting chip? It does audio and visual. What if its a repurposed Cell? What if that Cell has a PS3 mode for native BC?

I'm getting carried away. Though I would appreciate thoughts on a potential audio chip doing the raycasting.

I think it is part of the 'chip' or SoC IMO going by the Wired article:

Wired said:
The AMD chip also includes a custom unit for 3D audio that Cerny thinks will redefine what sound can do in a videogame. “As a gamer,” he says, “it's been a little bit of a frustration that audio did not change too much between PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. With the next console the dream is to show how dramatically different the audio experience can be when we apply significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it.”

The second bold is interesting though. Sounds like more than just renamed TrueAudio?

nowhat

Yeah, if they're going to call it "just Xbox", but possibly add other consoles in the future, that presumably would be Xbox too, just a different series, but it's all the same, it's still Xbox - that's not confusing at all...

Microsoft has a ton of software and hardware expertise, but I still maintain their marketing department is consistently on crack - someone should call the cops on them and perhaps we'd get something that makes at least some sense. Mind you, this has been going on for ages (a bizarre experience all around, but at 7 minutes is where the drugs really kick in):

onQ123

I’m still having a hard time believing 12Tf+ despite all the smoke (maybe literally in Sony’s case)

R600 really had me completely sold on ~9TF.

You're stuck looking at PC parts , PS5 & Xbox SX are releasing 7 years after PS4 that had 1.84TF on a 28nm process node , at least a 8X improvement is expected in console generations if we are just looking at computing power that would put PS5 at 14.72 TF . 12TF is a little over 6X jump from PS4 number wise.

So we gonna get a 500$/600$ console with ... how much is the count now 13Tf/14Tf ?
AMD next GPU 5800 XT gonna probably sell for 599$ and they gonna put that on a Ps5 right ? ok

R600

Banned
You're stuck looking at PC parts , PS5 & Xbox SX are releasing 7 years after PS4 that had 1.84TF on a 28nm process node , at least a 8X improvement is expected in console generations if we are just looking at computing power that would put PS5 at 14.72 TF . 12TF is a little over 6X jump from PS4 number wise.
Not so sure about that. Back in 2013 top shelf PC GPU where ~4TF, so naturally we could expect 32TF by now, but...its actually 13-14TF thats the case.

R600

Banned
I just said you shouldn't look at the PC specs & you reply with PC specs lol
So why would consoles, that get PC tech and manufacturing processes, be any different?

When consoles where on 28nm, PC GPUs where on 28nm. When next year AMD cards are on 7/7P nm, consoles will as well.

There is no difference, if anything PCs have advanced faster then consoles since PS3/360 time. Not sure what makes you think this time will be different.

DJ12

So we gonna get a 500$/600$ console with ... how much is the count now 13Tf/14Tf ?
AMD next GPU 5800 XT gonna probably sell for 599$ and they gonna put that on a Ps5 right ? ok
not sure what your issue is there, you do know it doesn't cost 599 right?

At this point, MS and Sony will only have to pay for the chip to be fabbed, all other costs will have been paid as part of the R&D budget already and AMD's percentage of sales going forward, I'm sure there was a break down of fabbing costs a couple of hundred pages ago, but you are probably looking at 100 tops. (some reason I have $50~60 in my head per chip though)

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
For what ? I dont understsand this persecution.

I would ask You guys to have more empathy and tolerance.

Hi there, please refrain from speaking from a place of an “insider” within this thread.

If you would like to confirm with the staff how you would have come across this information, that won’t burn your “sources”, then feel free to PM EviLore EviLore , or anyone else on the staff.

All information is confidential to the parties involved.

onQ123

So why would consoles, that get PC tech and manufacturing processes, be any different?

When consoles where on 28nm, PC GPUs where on 28nm. When next year AMD cards are on 7/7P nm, consoles will as well.

There is no difference, if anything PCs have advanced faster then consoles since PS3/360 time. Not sure what makes you think this time will be different.

PC already have 12TF GPUs

not sure what your issue is there, you do know it doesn't cost 599 right?
Yep i know.
At this point, MS and Sony will only have to pay for the chip to be fabbed, all other costs will have been paid as part of the R&D budget already and AMD's percentage of sales going forward

I'm sure there was a break down of fabbing costs a couple of hundred pages ago, but you are probably looking at 100 tops. (some reason I have $50~60 in my head per chip though)
I know and i think its even less than that.
So i have a question for you, why would a 5800xt probably sell for 599$.

DJ12

I know and i think its even less than that.
So i have a question for you, why would a 5800xt probably sell for 599$.
Profit, chip design and fabbing, PCB, Memory, VRMs and related items, Heatsink, Fans, licensing costs of HDMI etc, all of which MS and Sony will not be paying specifically for the APU.

vpance

What goes on in PC world stays in PC world. Even bitcoin mining affects pricing there so it's almost completely apples to oranges to compare the two and how they arrive at whatever cost to consumer.

Hi there, please refrain from speaking from a place of an “insider” within this thread.

If you would like to confirm with the staff how you would have come across this information, that won’t burn your “sources”, then feel free to PM EviLore EviLore , or anyone else on the staff.

All information is confidential to the parties involved.

Ok

So I Will no longer POST as an "insider". Instead, I Will join the speculation game from now on, even If Im confident that things Will confirm what I said so far in the right time.

I appologize everyone If I said anything offensive or frustrating.

I am really Sorry.

But lets move on now

Last edited:

Dokku

Ok

So I Will no longer POST as an "insider". Instead, I Will join the speculation game from now on, even If Im confident that things Will confirm what I said so far in the right time.

I am really Sorry.

But lets move on now
It's okay, don't worry yourself. I used to troll messageboards as a fake insider in the late 2000s. It took me years of therapy and heavy doses of prescription antipsychotics before I accepted my delusions.

Stay strong bro.
💪

this sounds like 4k60 is guaranteed

No it does not, it means 4k60 and if you want 120 it's possible on lower res and also we have 8k.
Xbox would be in the same boat. 5700 doesn’t support RT.
w .... what ?
what are you talking about ? who said what.....
Profit, chip design and fabbing, PCB, Memory, VRMs and related items, Heatsink, Fans, licensing costs of HDMI etc, all of which MS and Sony will not be paying specifically for the APU.
those parts you mentioned (hdmi, pcb,) doesn't cost much except profit, R&D expenses will get insignificant as they get more sells, it's not like they are working on a new architecture from rdna to rdna2.
Workforce & shipping etc ... (the middle men) is what make the cost go up, i'm sure Sony & Ms share the same expenses so ...
What goes on in PC world stays in PC world. Even bitcoin mining affects pricing there so it's almost completely apples to oranges to compare the two and how they arrive at whatever cost to consumer.
ow you dropping the mining card now, i recall GPU's sold at the same prices as now, 5700 xt is at 430$.
even if it's the case the cost gonna rise for everyone.

DJ12

those parts you mentioned (hdmi, pcb,) doesn't cost much except profit, R&D expenses will get insignificant as they get more sells, it's not like they are working on a new architecture from rdna to rdna2.
Workforce & shipping etc ... (the middle men) is what make the cost go up, i'm sure Sony & Ms share the same expenses so ...
So, you agree that it's won't be putting a $599 gpu in a $500 console then. R&D costs don't tend to get added to the BOM of consoles, so yeah, it's perfectly reasonable to expect a GPU similar in spec and design to AMDs latest and greatest to be in either or both consoles.

I'm not really sure what the point of this was to be honest.

So, you agree that it's won't be putting a $599 gpu in a $500 console then. R&D costs don't tend to get added to the BOM of consoles, so yeah, it's perfectly reasonable to expect a GPU similar in spec and design to AMDs latest and greatest to be in either or both consoles.

I'm not really sure what the point of this was to be honest.

44alltheway

Ok

I am really Sorry.

But lets move on now
you didn't "offend" anyone. this isn't resetera... all you have to do is prove you have access to info by talking CONFIDENTIALLY to any of the mods. you not doing that only proves everything you've said is bs.

Fake insiders means everyone who says ps5 is more powerful or just the fake ones that popped up recently.

I mean I have to ask as some of the insiders saying ps5 is more powerful are also saying Xbox is 12 tflops.

I guess in your opinion they are telling he truth half the time and telling lies the other half?
Before 12 was mentioned, this talk of 13 was no where to be found. Since then influx of fake insiders, not vetted, not questioned are all over the place making stupid claims. The guy Klee said he was leaving the other forum and that was just another lie. Ppl were all ok with it when these guys said ps5 was more powerful. Now its Xbox, and ppl cant deal with it

It's okay, don't worry yourself. I used to troll messageboards as a fake insider in the late 2000s. It took me years of therapy and heavy doses of prescription antipsychotics before I accepted my delusions.

Stay strong bro.
💪

Thanks for your kind wrods and support.

I Just dont understsand this criteria of having to expose people who have revealed me the infos or I am fake insider.

One day (soon) You guys Will realize that I have always been the insider that all of you have dreamt of being Part of this beautiful neogaf community. The most reliable and specially polite Guy despite being a target of so much unfair attacks

In fact, I already give you my forgiveness. I accept your apoligizes even before the truth reveals conforming everything was legit.

DJ12

Before 12 was mentioned, this talk of 13 was no where to be found. Since then influx of fake insiders, not vetted, not questioned are all over the place making stupid claims. The guy Klee said he was leaving the other forum and that was just another lie. Ppl were all ok with it when these guys said ps5 was more powerful. Now its Xbox, and ppl cant deal with it
Literally the first "leak" said 14.2, then there was the guy who took a photo at a Sony meeting saying it was 13 or something. (photo was not of the actual slide)

And cannot you see, if xbox is 12, and I think there is probably some mathmatical gymnastics happening there, then PS5 being more powerful, which EVERYONE is saying other than the MS shills, that only get information from Microsoft, 13 makes sense, it maybe more, it maybe less, but actual results from actual hardware have Playstation doing better, from multiple sources.

So enjoy your time basking in the sun, it will be over soon and I expect another hiatus from the boards from you, until you think it's safe to come back or MS announce they have increased the clock speed to be more competitive.... again.

Racer!

Next year RDNA2/AMD cards are on 7nm+ (EUV). What makes you think consoles are different?

Come 2021, we will be playing 13TF PS5`s and you will probably still go on about 36cu`s 8TF :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
I Just dont understsand this criteria of having to expose people who have revealed me the infos or I am fake insider.
Mod of War Mod of War clearly said that it wont expose anyone, they've been doing this for years, you are not the first one in here.
One day (soon) You guys Will realize that I have always been the insider that all of you have dreamt of being Part of this beautiful neogaf community. The most reliable and specially polite Guy despite being a target of so much unfair attacks
we know that one day soon sony will make a keynote, what did you leak ? did you leak something i'm not aware of ? please repost them i must missed something.
In fact, I already give you my forgiveness. I accept your apoligizes even before the truth reveals conforming everything was legit.
we love you.

onQ123

DJ12

Tommy is legit tho

We both are right at Sony aiming 13tf-14tf and a striking super advanced memory (the biggest secret sauce ever)
Well if he's legit, he won't have a problem verifying himself. He did give more specifics than you and said a couple of times that you don't know anything, and your date isn't a thing so lets hope he gives his sources to the powers that be for verification, but I cannot see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom