• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the Gamespot interview again :

Yeah, he has a feeling. I have a feeling too it won't be. So, back to square 1. Phil didn't said "it will be". He can feel whatever he wants to feel.
Problem is,he is head of Xbox . You are a random gamer on a forum cling to a supposed insider. And DF tends to agree with Phil that XSX is an extrodinary achievement given the tech inside.

Thats cool. In team Pano i believe, PS4 suceeded by Mattricks genius of putting kinect,tv, etc over power and forcing kinect wwith every XB1,driving the price 100 dollars more than PS4. Its a new ball game this time around and based on XB1X and MS pushing power again..will be interesting

I agree it'll be interesting. Good luck over there at green team.

bitbydeath

Problem is,he is head of Xbox . You are a random gamer on a forum cling to a supposed insider. And DF tends to agree with Phil that XSX is an extrodinary achievement given the tech inside.

If he knew it were more powerful he would be shouting it from the rooftops.

He either doesn’t know what Sony are packing or is in defensive PR mode to keep the dream alive for a little longer.

Thats cool. In team Pano i believe, PS4 suceeded by Mattricks genius of putting kinect,tv, etc over power and forcing kinect wwith every XB1,driving the price 100 dollars more than PS4. Its a new ball game this time around and based on XB1X and MS pushing power again..will be interesting

So, something tells me that Mattrick fucked up X360 because even with year headstart and 200$ less price, PS3 managed to catch up X360 in sales and probably overtook him.

Problem is he talks to much and that can bite him in the ass. But you're random gamer on a forum that swallow any PR crap from Phil and even spin the PR. LOL

Last edited:
We should make a list of people (no pastebins) that have said they heard either console is more powerful :)

For PS5
KleeGameFan
Colin Moriarty
Andrew Reiner
Benji sales (heard PS5 dev kit was 13 Tflops)

For Series X I need a list of people who have heard it is more powerful
The chinese 4chan spec leaks.
Phil.

Also worth noting,a lot of devs hadn't received XSX dev kits until recently accordinbg to Brad Sams.
2.Having 13 tf dev kits doesnt prove anything.
3.Df implies they think XSX will be more powerfful.

If the rumors by Klee are true,you are looking at a 5%-10% difference at most. Some of you are trying to imply PS5 will 13tf vs 12TF XSX. A 1 tf advantage translates more han just a 5%-10% difference i would think.

ZywyPL

Banned
It is conceivable the devs have a Sony dev kit that 13tf or greater that doesn't mean the retail version will be at that. People always forget the price they advertise the consoles at. It improbable it will be 13tf at retail.
Sony selling the PS5 at 500 dollars, it will be comparable to Xbox one/ series. Both consoles will be 10.5 to 11.5 TF my best judgment. They likely decide to obtain further performance boosts with the CPU.

AMD likely has the targets for both companies and if I saw leaks from them, it would be realistic info. Manufacture would have to be starting soon to have the new consoles ready for Christmas time.

Fair point, the X1X dev kit for example had 0.6TF (10%) more powerful GPU than the retail version, so it's most likely the exact same deal with the upcoming consoles as well.

So, something tells me that Mattrick fucked up X360 because even with year headstart and 200$ less price, PS3 managed to catch up X360 in sales and probably overtook him.

Problem is he talks to much and that can bite him in the ass. But you're random gamer on a forum that swallow any PR crap from Phil and even spin the PR. LOL
Mattrick was not at Xbox during design of Xbox 360. Try again. Are you trying to argue against facts? Xbox One was not designed to be a powerful gaming machine.

Apparently so does DF. Did you even read the article?

Ar¢tos

I saw some Sony patents for memory controllers able to manage more than one memory type at the same time and also mentioned Nand (I was looking for more info on Reram). Would it be possible to have a single controller for both Ram and SSD? That would save some die space.

demigod

Phil.

Also worth noting,a lot of devs hadn't received XSX dev kits until recently accordinbg to Brad Sams.

If the rumors by Klee are true,you are looking at a 5%-10% difference at most. Some of you are trying to imply PS5 will 13tf vs 12TF XSX. A 1 tf advantage translates more han just a 5%-10% difference i would think.

I'm still waiting on that timestamp by DF.

This is getting out of hand. What makes any of you think that Phil Spencer saying he wants his console to be the most powerful, leads to the inexorable conclusion that the XSX being the most powerful console? You think that Phil Spencer of Microsoft has inside knowledge of the performance of the Sony PlayStation 5?
This is PR. He doesn't know dick about the PS5. He can only guess. That's why there are no definitive statements about performance - "Most powerful Xbox ever made"

All of this is common sense. They weren't gonna unleash a big chungus box and claim it is in fact NOT the most powerful console they've built.

The same of course applies to Mark Cerny. He doesn't know shit about the Xbox. Funnily enough he also hasn't made any grandiose pronouncements about the PS5 being the most powerful system ever. Just that it will be powerful.

Fucking Christ.

Mattrick was not at Xbox during design of Xbox 360. Try again. Are you trying to argue against facts? Xbox One was not designed to be a powerful gaming machine.

Mattrick joined X360 team in 2007. So, very early. Xbone was not designed to be a powerful gaming machine? You didn't know that before. Nobody here. Btw. This thread is a true comedy gold how xbox brain thinks : MS is more richer than Sony, will spend more money than Sony, Xbox will be more powerful than Sony :

This comedy gold thread :

Apparently so does DF. Did you even read the article?

No he did not. "Think" does not mean it "will be".

Can you give me a timestamp on the DF?

No need. Here is the DF article.

All of this is in service of what Microsoft believes to be the most powerful console of the next generation era. Previously known by its codename of Anaconda (under the Project Scarlett umbrella) the aim has always been to double the outgoing X's prowess with 12 teraflops of compute performance as an internal target. Microsoft sees performance leadership as the crucially important for the core gamer, with Xbox One X - and indeed PS4 Pro - as a successful trial in establishing that committed gamers will pay more for a premium experience.

So, believing, feeling.....

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Phil.

The difference will likely be negligible in multiplatform titles, I expect the difference to come from the 1P studios. It's likely that those developers Reiner spoke with, already knew what the target specs would be and maybe that's why they felt comfortable in saying PS5 is more powerful

Mattrick joined X360 team somehwere in 2007. So, very early. Did Mattrick fucked X360 because under him, X360 sold the most, not before? So, he deserve the success for X360. :) Xbone was not designed to be a powerful gaming machine? You didn't know that before. Nobody here. Btw. This thread is a true comedy gold how xbox brain thinks : MS is more richer than Sony, will spend more money than Sony, Xbox will be more powerful than Sony :

Xbox 360 launched in 2005. Was in development years prior. Mattrick had nothing to do with Xbox 360 design/philosophy. In other words, you're wrong!

Whether we gamers on a gaming forum knew or not,is irrelevant
Nnow you're rambling nd going off topic.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

um we're a year out where things still and will change :/
Things can change I agree but the window to the amount of things that can change 1 year out from launch is slowly closing. Maybe an up clock here or there is feasible and the amount of ram but dont we already know the Series X ram allocation?

THE:MILKMAN

Changing tack from specs/price for a minute. Does anyone have any thoughts on this quote from the Jim Ryan interview with Gamesindustry?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-had-to-make-changes-to-deliver-our-ps5-dream

Jim Ryan said:
"These are gamers who are networked and sticky and engaged and passionate about PlayStation to an extent that we've not seen in previous generations. As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks -- probably our main task -- is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before.

Reading the rest of the article and it is clear Sony have streamlined and globalised the business in preparation for the above plan over the last year or two. I'm struggling to see how they'll be able to convince the 35+ million PS+ subscribers to buy a PS5 asap. Especially so if it is $500 or nearly £500. Even at $399/£349 it would be a surprise they'd beat PS4's ~18 million year one sales.

Xbox 360 launched in 2005. Was in development years prior. Mattrick had nothing to do with Xbox 360 design/philosophy. In other words, you're wrong!

End of 2005. Like i said, very early in 2007 Mattrick joined X360 and best sales X360 saw under him. All hail to Don Mattrick. :)

dmc4ios2.gif

Last edited:

Thorrgal

im more worried about the SSD and RAM setup. 12 and 13 is negligible.

For sure, I agree.

Rumors say Sony is betting hard on the SSD solution on the one hand, and on the other there's radio silence regarding the RAM.

Those are are the final pieces of the puzzle. I wonder if they'll leak beforehand or we'll get to the official reveal first

The difference will likely be negligible in multiplatform titles, I expect the difference to come from the 1P studios. It's likely that those developers Reiner spoke with, already knew what the target specs would be and maybe that's why they felt comfortable in saying PS5 is more powerful
Please don't pretend Reiner talking to a dev or two represents all devs in the industry. 2. I'm noticeing some selective reading. Did we omit the 4chan,known chinese insider leak showing XSX to be more powerful?

For sure, I agree.

Rumors say Sony is betting hard on the SSD solution on the one hand, and on the other there's radio silence regarding the RAM.

Those are are the final pieces of the puzzle. I wonder if they'll leak beforehand or we'll get to the official reveal first

Klee said when he asked his own dev friend about SSD and RAM, his friend got very nervous about that. :) Whatever that means. :D

Hobbygaming

Changing tack from specs/price for a minute. Does anyone have any thoughts on this quote from the Jim Ryan interview with Gamesindustry?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-had-to-make-changes-to-deliver-our-ps5-dream

Reading the rest of the article and it is clear Sony have streamlined and globalised the business in preparation for the above plan over the last year or two. I'm struggling to see how they'll be able to convince the 35+ million PS+ subscribers to buy a PS5 asap. Especially so if it is $500 or nearly £500. Even at $399/£349 it would be a surprise they'd beat PS4's ~18 million year one sales.
I think he might be hinting at much bigger and better launch window exclusives

I could be wrong but skipping E3 and other shows kind of alludes to them preparing for a good launch

quest

Not Banned from OT

It is just talk of course that is what he wants it's what more importantly "share holders" want to hear. People are tripping over 499.99. I see production of the big ass APU more of an issue for Sony. The hardcore Sony fans will line up for it and in 12 months price cut it to 399.99. By then economy of scales kick in plus 5nm skims are just around the corner holiday 2022 with another price cut.

Hobbygaming

Please don't pretend Reiner talking to a dev or two represents all devs in the industry. 2. I'm noticeing some selective reading. Did we omit the 4chan,known chinese insider leak showing XSX to be more powerful?
I don't think everything on 4Chan is trustworthy but you should link it. Maybe it's wrong, maybe it's right

Gamernyc78

Banned

Probably tht legacy bc push, not only tht but making sure bc isn't regular bc but bc with added effects ala Xbox x. I mean obviously it goes beyond this with a suped up version of Playstation plus also involved in the mix, psvr being bc as well and so on.

bitbydeath

It has to come down to software offerings.
Rumoured GTAVI would sell gangbusters, but even still they’d need more than that.

You really need to provide links and quotes for everything you’re stating.

Enthusiasts will always move quickly. Usually the rest will follow suit.
Ultimately, what matters is marketing in this instance. How much hype can be generated for the next product. I think that's why Sony moved away from trade events to their own personal shows. It's an Apple-esque move that separates them from the rest. There has rarely been a question about the next iPhone selling well, and I think Sony wants to emulate that sort of brand presence but within the microcosm of gaming.

Further to this, it would not surprise me if they're prepared for a slow transition regardless of what their PR suggests. Even if PS4 users don't migrate instantly, as long as they're still paying their PS+ fee, Sony are making money. They may also choose to incentivise early transitions by offering limited time trade-ins for PS4s to get the ball rolling. Backwards compatibility means you get to keep all your old games and you get some money off your purchase of a PS5. Microsoft will probably also do this.

After that it's all brand presence, marketing and the games on offer.

Maybe he talked with which were in the know about next-gen consoles. Not every dev in this industry got the info about nex-gen. Big players always got info about next-gen earlier than others. That's the point. And of course Reined wouldn't say the devs name ( i wouldn't ) to jeopardize their positions.

Dory16

Banned
This is getting out of hand. What makes any of you think that Phil Spencer saying he wants his console to be the most powerful, leads to the inexorable conclusion that the XSX being the most powerful console? You think that Phil Spencer of Microsoft has inside knowledge of the performance of the Sony PlayStation 5?
This is PR. He doesn't know dick about the PS5. He can only guess. That's why there are no definitive statements about performance - "Most powerful Xbox ever made"

All of this is common sense. They weren't gonna unleash a big chungus box and claim it is in fact NOT the most powerful console they've built.

The same of course applies to Mark Cerny. He doesn't know shit about the Xbox. Funnily enough he also hasn't made any grandiose pronouncements about the PS5 being the most powerful system ever. Just that it will be powerful.

Fucking Christ.
All we know for sure is that Microsoft is making power their paramount goal with this console. They're literally not marketing anything other than its power. Sony not as much. Sony has touted loading times and a better controller. Digital Foundry has gone through all the information released by both manufacturers and AMD and concluded that if Sony's GPU has been made by AMD in 2019, it is unlikely that it will be more powerful given what we already know about the Xbox GPU. Can it still be, thanks to secret sauce and customisations? Theoritically yes. We probably won't find out which one is really more powerful until well into the generation me thinks. Both will have something to use to claim advantage over the other, whether it's the better SSD, more RAM or a more nerdy GPU.

Guys Klee just said he has shown the spec documents for both to the mod and he doesn’t want to share it as it will compromise his source and he mentioned you can ask the mod but he has asked the mod not to talk about it due his source being at risk.

according to him ps5 is stronger by around 10%

it’s kinda weird that MS will have 2 skus and both are weaker than ps5

Last edited:
End of 2005. Like i said, very early in 2007 Mattrick joined X360 and best sales X360 saw under him. All hail to Don Mattrick. :)

dmc4ios2.gif
Are you dense? We weren't talking sells. We were talking console power. I stated facts. Xbox One was not designed to be a powerful console focused box.It was a Mattrick decision to focus on entertainment,kinect,etc. You then proceed to claim Mattrick was then in charge of Xbox 360. He was not even at Xbox during Xbox 360 design/philosophy. Please improve your reading comprehension skills.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned

dmc4ios2.gif

due to the groundwork of peter moore. under his reign. inhouse dev went to 0. and all tech went into kinect. yes. donnie here wanted a 500 dollar wii machine.

Hobbygaming

Probably tht legacy bc push, not only tht but making sure bc isn't regular bc but bc with added effects ala Xbox x. I mean obviously it goes beyond this with a suped up version of Playstation plus also involved in the mix, psvr being bc as well and so on.
This makes the most sense and it is better than my logic lol

Aceofspades

Banned
Mattrick joined X360 team in 2007. So, very early. Xbone was not designed to be a powerful gaming machine? You didn't know that before. Nobody here. Btw. This thread is a true comedy gold how xbox brain thinks : MS is more richer than Sony, will spend more money than Sony, Xbox will be more powerful than Sony :

No need. Here is the DF article.

So, believing, feeling.....

That thread in 2012. Lol almost everyone expected Sony out of the business with Ninty and MS on Top 🤣

Thorrgal

They did not say PS5 is 13 TF. Stop spreading false info please.They said both would be in the 12TF neighborhood.

They didn't? Of course they did Benji said 13 TF on the tweet bfr deleting it. Tom Warren still has a tweet with the 13 TF number on it as a "rumored specc" back in E3

Reiner and Colin said PS5 had more TF than Xbox around E3, and now we know (per Geist an others) Xbox number was 12TF all along. More than 12 is ~13.

Klee has said over and over PS5 is slightly over Xbox, so if Xbox is 12TF, 13TF is just 7% over it. Negligible if you want, but over it. Etc.

But as I said it Xbox can come up 5% and Sony go down 5% and the tables are turned, but IN MY OPINION, when all those different people are fallling on the same side of the fence, is because, at the time, PS5 had probably that 7% advantage, which may or may not change, but if I had to bet, it probably hasn't.

That is the timeline, in my eyes.

Now feel free to make your own, but don't tell me I'm lying, because I'm not

Last edited:
Are you dense? We weren't talking sells. We were talking console power. I stated facts. Obox One was not designed to be a powerful console focused box.It was a Mattrick decision to focus on entertainment,kinect. You then proceed to claim Mattrick was then in charge of Xbox 360. He was not even at Xbox during box 360 design/philosophy. Please improve your reading comprehension skills.

Hardware Design philosophy has nothing to do with sales. LOL! What are you smoking.:D Yeah, Wii destroyed X360 and PS3 in sales. How Wii was designed? Weak, with motion controls in mind. And 3rd party support were crap
He was in charge of X360. I said, he joined X360 team in early 2007. And X360 saw the biggest sales under him. Let's clap one more time :

dmc4ios2.gif

Last edited:
Are you dense? We weren't talking sells. We were talking console power. I stated facts. Obox One was not designed to be a powerful console focused box.It was a Mattrick decision to focus on entertainment,kinect. You then proceed to claim Mattrick was then in charge of Xbox 360. He was not even at Xbox during box 360 design/philosophy. Please improve your reading comprehension skills.
Is that why on the their x1 preorder page they had the slogan of most powerful console ? Lol get real bud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom