• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircaw

Banned
As I am receiving questions privately I will post a general answer here on the subject trying not to infringe anything.

At the marketing level it is very good to be able to say that a hardware has everything that AMD presents. But that does not mean that others cannot do the same or better (or not) through another approach. In this case, Sony has seen fit that its approaches were better for PS5 than those offered by AMD. There is no single way to reach a goal. PS5 is not cropped, it is customized for your interests on a deeper level. This, each one who interprets it as best suits him, some will say that it is better, others that it is worse ... I think that it is different and that the time and the results will say that it was better or worse.

MS has kept the apartment as it was and has painted the walls and changed the doors. Sony has changed the structure of the walls and the arrangement of the rooms. But on both floors you can go shit (wc). You can shit standing or sitting but the quality of the shit will apparently be the same, but never identical, everything will depend on what you eat and the effort you make when pressing. But ultimately you will like shit more or less based on your personal tastes, and not because of the shit itself.

I think it's my most disgusting technical answer.

I understood it so it's Perfect. :messenger_heart:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Shill force one in action.

LOL! There are shills on both sides. Some are even shills on both sides. I just can't even give a shill anymore.

I actually no longer care whether a console is RDNA 1, 2, 3, 9, 18... The system will be out there within 2-3 weeks depending where you live. I know when I start playing, I'll be playing for the entire experience. I might wonder here or there whether Ray Tracing was used or SSR, but that moment will be gone in just that. A moment.

If people want to go over and literally piss on a console, OK. I only care what I think! What do you guys think about what I think. Is it OK that I think this? Guys? Anyone?

oh man, i was going to empty my ammo. then i realized we only need to wait for two more weeks to get the hands on the hardware. i guess there isn't much point. waiting for demon souls' preview :messenger_halo:

Who’s this fucker again?

Some bloke who's apparently worked in SCEE for 13 years including having contributed for something in Guerilla Games KZ2, he said shit a while ago that the power difference between PS5 and Series X is staggering, but he also said that doesn't mean games won't look good on the PS5. With Microsoft beating their chests that their console has full rdna 2 implementation shortly after opening their war chests to buy a major publisher who may or may not release multiplatform games in the future.

sircaw

Banned
LOL! There are shills on both sides. Some are even shills on both sides. I just can't even give a shill anymore.

I actually no longer care whether a console is RDNA 1, 2, 3, 9, 18... The system will be out there within 2-3 weeks depending where you live. I know when I start playing, I'll be playing for the entire experience. I might wonder here or there whether Ray Tracing was used or SSR, but that moment will be gone in just that. A moment.

If people want to go over and literally piss on a console, OK. I only care what I think! What do you guys think about what I think. Is it OK that I think this? Guys? Anyone?

Like i said to you a long time ago, none off this matters, just enjoy your system and your games, at the end of the day that's all that matters.

now stand aside Mr normal intelligent straight thinking person, i am here for the WAR "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:

geordiemp

Some bloke who's apparently worked in SCEE for 13 years including having contributed for something in Guerilla Games KZ2, he said shit a while ago that the power difference between PS5 and Series X is staggering, but he also said that doesn't mean games won't look good on the PS5. With Microsoft beating their chests that their console has full rdna 2 implementation shortly after opening their war chests to buy a major publisher who may or may not release multiplatform games in the future.

No he has worked in fashion / sports industry for last 10 years or so. And is friends with Timdog. :messenger_beaming:

He certainly has a chip on his shoulder.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Like i said to you a long time ago, none off this matters, just enjoy your system and your games, at the end of the day that's all that matters.

now stand aside Mr normal intelligent straight thinking person, i am here for the WAR "lollipop_disappointed:

You're right.. I'm sorry.

xszJM8.gif

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I almost made a thread, but I'm lazy and dont feel like being flamed haha.

I want to preface this with I am an xbox fan and then a playstation fan. Xbox is my pride and joy.

I am curious though how long microsoft will try and continue the approach of making games work on both generations? Seeing how cyberpunk is already delayed again due to the last gen consoles, they cant possibly think its still a good idea? I think its a huge mistake. Can they reverse course? I think the only people it would make mad are people who werent buying the series x anyway?

Andodalf

Banned
I almost made a thread, but I'm lazy and dont feel like being flamed haha.

I want to preface this with I am an xbox fan and then a playstation fan. Xbox is my pride and joy.

I am curious though how long microsoft will try and continue the approach of making games work on both generations? Seeing how cyberpunk is already delayed again due to the last gen consoles, they cant possibly think its still a good idea? I think its a huge mistake. Can they reverse course? I think the only people it would make mad are people who werent buying the series x anyway?

Both Sony and MS have committed to games being cross gen next year. Neither have committed to a game beyond that

LucidFlux

PS5 is RDNA2, but as Mark Cerny pointed out in the PS5 Deep Dive presentation in March: Sony hasn't simply incorporated every single RDNA 2 PC tech in for the PS5, rather tailor made by collaborating with AMD to understand what exact feature from RDNA 2 sony needs for the PS5. Mark even said when AMD's RDNA 2 gpu's come out and if people see the tech between the desktop GPU and PS5 sharing some commonalities, it means AMD and Sony's collaboration was a success and that AMD found the collab to be invaluable.

This right here is why people need to stop reading so much into the marketing label of some of these features and instead pay more attention to real world performance and the actual capabilities the hardware enables.

I have the pleasure of helping to craft the branding of my company's products and features. There is a lot of research done on the competition, how they present their capabilities, and even in areas where we have feature parity we go to great lengths to make our solution sound unique and better by playing up our strengths. Many times a lot of the underlying technology is the same and it's just packaged differently or has a shiny coat of paint. Sometimes we truly do have different underlying solutions but the end result is exactly the same or so close it doesn't matter to the end user.

All this full RDNA 2 or not do not means anything

both consoles are customized to the brim

maybe ps5 is more customized to Sony needs

but series x gpu clocks do not indicate it is full RDNA 2

in fact ps5 is closer to RX6000 cards than series x

One of RDNA2s principal pillars was indeed higher clock speeds however I wouldn't take this to indicate Series X is not full RDNA 2.

You have to look at the goals Microsoft had for their console (hit 2x TF of One X), it's APU's secondary usage in data centers, close hardware parity with PC, scalability with Series S, and the form factor they ultimately decided on (many more CUs in a smaller box, smaller heat sink, standard TIM and still clocked modestly high).

All of these decisions lead to MS selecting a fixed clock frequency that was a bit lower than the desktop equivalent but that does not by itself mean the underlying architecture is not full RDNA 2. It just means they aren't taking full advantage of one of RNDA 2's major advancements (IMO). They could very well have clocked higher if they wanted to but they hit their 12 TF goal, the box and cooling solution would have been larger (meaning more expensive) only that budget was already spent on the larger APU so they were at the limit of their BOM anyway.

Wait a minute, can someone explain to me, Is Infinity Cache considered part of RDNA2? If so, then MS simply meant DirectX , Mesh Shading....etc by saying RDNA2 full feature set.

The way I read it is while Infinity Cache is an integral part of desktop RDNA 2 when it comes to increasing performance, it by itself is not what I would call a "Feature" as taking it away does not detract from the hardware's capabilities, only it's relative performance.

Meaning it can still do all the same exact things as desktop RDNA 2, it has feature parity, it just wouldn't perform as well because it lacks that extra cache.

Lysandros

Totally, and AndAndTech even compared Infinity Cache to what MS had done in the past with ESRAM/SRAM.

I never figured the road to PS5 graphic was to scale, and only drew mine up after seeing people write off infinity cache due to size (128MB=6 trillion transistors/147mm2).
The thing is that SRAM in question is situated within I/O complex (subsystem) and seems to closely tied to the coprocessors (same square). As far as i know 'infinity cache' is related to the caches within GPU itself.

Nickolaidas

Impressions:

1) Textures look amazing. The framerate is so smooth.

2) Some enemy animations look a little abrupt sometimes which remind you that you're playing a game and not watching a movie.

3) Flamelurker's theme was mediocre in the original - here is THE SHIT.

4) THE MIDFLAYERS LOOK AMAZING WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH THEM RIGHT NOW

5) All the bosses look godlike

6) The Dragon literally came inside my mouth

7) I love this game

8) HOLY SHIT AT THE SKELETON GRABBING YOUR ARM AS YOU REPOSTE HIM

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Impressions:

1) Textures look amazing. The framerate is so smooth.

2) Some enemy animations look a little abrupt sometimes which remind you that you're playing a game and not watching a movie.

3) Flamelurker's theme was mediocre in the original - here is THE SHIT.

4) THE MIDFLAYERS LOOK AMAZING WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH THEM RIGHT NOW

5) All the bosses look godlike

6) The Dragon literally came inside my mouth

7) I love this game

8) HOLY SHIT AT THE SKELETON GRABBING YOUR ARM AS YOU REPOSTE HIM

The bit where the oil/ whatever it is rolling out down the tunnel, God damn, impressive stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom