• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seph-

I feel the loading times will get much faster with future patches. I still don't think they've been fully optimized for the PS5. You can also say the same for the Xbox Series X.
This is something I wish some would take into account. This quite possibly is something as simple as in order for an older game (BC games) to fully account the PS5 SSD or IO there needs to be changes in the coding, which would explain why new games already use it. Meanwhile on the other hand Microsoft took into account making BC games use it out of the box in terms of pulling and mimicking the data transfer methods. None of this is bad, or anything. Just 2 different potential priorities. It can only get better on those games if those companies decide they wanna improve them.

Nickolaidas

Oh for Fred Fuck's sake ...

HAS NO ONE BOTHERED TO TEST FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE ON THE PS5!?!?!?

I'm curious to know whats up with the load times, it seems very anomalous to me as I was expecting PS5 to be ahead in that category, although all the games tested were through backwards compatibility so things are very iffy. That being said it seems like Witcher 3 loads significantly faster on the PS5 compared to the Series X.

timestampped link

Aparently, each game is different. A lot of PS4 games will need patches to take advantage of that SSD ...

I must admit I did NOT expect MS to one-up Sony on that regard ... (BC games load speed)

watch this for ui tour and game switching...

The UI is amazing! I love how the Game Library is sorted out between platforms! REALLY INTERESTING TO SEE OUR PS3 GAMES INCLUDED IN THERE ...

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I was looking at that extended storage screen. The last sentence seems to hint at formatting a drive for PS5. I'm wondering if someone were to put a USB drive on there, format for PS5 and try to store just PS5 games on it, would it then do just that.

The rest of the sentences are talking about taking your existing stored games and hooking up the drive to PS5 to play the PS4 games. Separate content type, separate drive?

THEAP99

Banned
PS4 vs PS5 load times via Kotaku

Qc546Ux.png
disappointing to be honest. come on.

my hype has decreased for next gen big time

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Oh for Fred Fuck's sake ...

HAS NO ONE BOTHERED TO TEST FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE ON THE PS5!?!?!?

Aparently, each game is different. A lot of PS4 games will need patches to take advantage of that SSD ...

I must admit I did NOT expect MS to one-up Sony on that regard ... (BC games load speed)

The UI is amazing! I love how the Game Library is sorted out between platforms! REALLY INTERESTING TO SEE OUR PS3 GAMES INCLUDED IN THERE ...
Easy Allies did. Same blurry door, sadly. Hopefully it will get a patch.

Mahavastu

I'm curious to know whats up with the load times, it seems very anomalous to me as I was expecting PS5 to be ahead in that category, although all the games tested were through backwards compatibility so things are very iffy.
something doesn't add up and I also would like to know what the problem is...

I mean adding a slow Sata SSD to the PS4 cut the loading time roundabout in half in most cases.
If you look at the PS5 loading times, it is only 2-3 times faster then a PS4 with HDD, so it would not be that much faster then a PS4 with SSD, despite a way faster SSD, way faster decompression block, way faster CPU, way faster RAM.
And I don't buy the "games have to be optimised for the SSD" argument, the loading should still be way faster then it is now.
I am quite puzzled at the moment. Maybe it is something that will be fixed with new firmware?

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I tried to tell you guys PS5 doesn't have quick resume.

kyliethicc kyliethicc apologize sir.

jk
It clearly has some kind of multi game resume from the footage I've seen today. They swap back and forth from games with no warning of one game being closed or potential loss of save data.

Seems hard to believe that the each game is being fully shutdown and reopened every time with no warning that the user could lose progress.

But if I'm wrong I'm wrong and I'll accept that.

beck_

Seems there may be an issue with load times on PS5 for PS4 games. See this TLOU2 example..

PS5 takes 50 seconds longer then PS4 which of course should never happen. Not sure if this is intermittent or only happens for this TLOU2 level but could indicate a PS5 issue that may be able to get a firmware update to address.

I'm still hoping TLOU2 is going to get a free PS5 patch for 60FPS, they could also improve load times with this patch.

kyliethicc

PS5 is auto recording last 1 hour of gameplay and has built in options to let users save clips of various sizes from the Create button pop up menu.

You can select in settings the default save clip for the double tap shortcut, but now we can save various sized clips always.

For up to 1 hour of video, I kinda doubt that its 4K HDR video but he didn't say quality.

4r3b5RR.jpg

2tKySRH.jpg

jamwest24

Load times and console boot times seem to be all over the place. Not sure what’s up. Maybe a combination of different console firmwares, game patches, and different levels loaded for bc titles? Dave Lee’s boot up times are vastly different than Tom Warren’s:
BgryF4e.png

And Greg Miller’s video shows a variety of rest mode features/customizations on PS5:
IQs9CQ5.jpg

Montauk

Seems there may be an issue with load times on PS5 for PS4 games. See this TLOU2 example..

PS5 takes 50 seconds longer then PS4 which of course should never happen. Not sure if this is intermittent or only happens for this TLOU2 level but could indicate a PS5 issue that may be able to get a firmware update to address.

I'm still hoping TLOU2 is going to get a free PS5 patch for 60FPS, they could also improve load times with this patch.

There are contradictory reports on the PS5 loading time for TLOU2. I've seen it quoted at being considerably shorter than PS4.

I think this clearly shows that different people are testing the same games in different ways and on PS5 units with different game/OS patches applied. Until we get all that cleared up and squared away it's impossible to make accurate comparisons.

Krisprolls

Banned

I mean adding a slow Sata SSD to the PS4 cut the loading time roundabout in half in most cases.
If you look at the PS5 loading times, it is only 2-3 times faster then a PS4 with HDD, so it would not be that much faster then a PS4 with SSD, despite a way faster SSD, way faster decompression block, way faster CPU, way faster RAM.
And I don't buy the "games have to be optimised for the SSD" argument, the loading should still be way faster then it is now.
I am quite puzzled at the moment. Maybe it is something that will be fixed with new firmware?

SSD loading times are incredible on Spiderman (only a few seconds) so it's a lot of noise for nothing. It's either a bug on BC games or a restriction Sony put for BC games to avoid breaking the game. It may be patched later.

What matters is it works perfectly fine on next gen games. Also, on next gen multiplatform games, PS5 will load the game notably faster. Then again, XSX is pretty fast too on loading times, so it's not really game changing.

The real point of the faster PS5 SSD is being able to stream higher quality assets, but you won't see it before probably 1 or 2 years.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It clearly has some kind of multi game resume from the footage I've seen today. They swap back and forth from games with no warning of one game being closed or potential loss of save data.

Seems hard to believe that the each game is being fully shutdown and reopened every time with no warning that the user could lose progress.

But if I'm wrong I'm wrong and I'll accept that.

Like I said the other day; the game is running right there in the background.. it's readily apparent in that UX that you are running a game, and thus it doesn't necessarily have to ask you.

And it's possible it's dependent on what you are doing in the game as I said the other day.

But unless Sony is using a hypervisor there is little chance of any sort of quick resume happening.

Load times and console boot times seem to be all over the place. Not sure what’s up. Maybe a combination of different console firmwares, game patches, and different levels loaded for bc titles? Dave Lee’s boot up times are vastly different than Tom Warren’s:
BgryF4e.png

And Greg Miller’s video shows a variety of rest mode features/customizations on PS5:
IQs9CQ5.jpg
If the PS4 pro can compete in a cold boot without problem against both new gen consoles only using a traditional sata SSD
then both need work in its respective software.

SSD loading times are incredible on Spiderman (only a few seconds) so it's a lot of noise for nothing. It's either a bug on BC games or a restriction Sony put for BC games to avoid breaking the game. It may be patched later.

What matters is it works perfectly fine on next gen games. Also, on next gen multiplatform games, PS5 will load the game notably faster. Then again, XSX is pretty fast too on loading times, so it's not really game changing.

The real point of the faster PS5 SSD is being able to stream higher quality assets, but you won't see it before probably 1 or 2 years.

Looking back at Sonys marketing they usually hyped up the SSD for next gen games. I'm guessing those extremely fast load times will occur with those titles. Now while BC does have improvements it's possible that the loads won't match next gen games.

I've read here that Spiderman through BC takes alot longer to load than the Remastered version. Maybe this is proof of that?

Razvedka

Banned
Those load times are still too long...
I was really hoping under 20 seconds for a game like Odyssey....

None of these titles are 'optimized' to work with the new architectures in the XSX and PS5. That's why all loading gains are marginal.

I agree, it'd be cool to just throw in Ghost of Tsushima or Master Chief Collection and just have it explode into the menu instantly. But that sort of thing requires extra work on the part of developers for older titles, and they're probably too busy working on the new stuff to spend the manpower to do that.

Edit: Although in MCC's case that sort of thing may be in the works given they're supposed to be readying it for a proper next-gen experience (my guess is PC settings maximum or something).

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Looking back at Sonys marketing they usually hyped up the SSD for next gen games. I'm guessing those extremely fast load times will occur with those titles. Now while BC does have improvements it's possible that the loads won't match next gen games.

I've read here that Spiderman through BC takes alot longer to load than the Remastered version. Maybe this is proof of that?

Obviously Spiderman case reflects there's some kind of bug only present in BC loading times OR Sony simply made the choice to cut SSD speed on BC because it was too fast and it was breaking some games (very possible).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

LucidFlux

We saw there was more to it when the initial XsX load time comparisons came out. While improved, the load times weren't matching up with what we expected from the raw speeds of the Xbox SSD.

One thing to point out is that the BC games haven't been patched to take advantage of the new compression techniques available on both PS5/XsX. While a smaller % difference than the raw throughput will be, this is an area not taken advantage of in BC games.
Another factor is how much of current gen decompression relied on the CPU vs the zlib decompression blocks current gen? Was it all done by the blocks? Does this require a patch to rework file look up tables, as well as fully leverage the new decompression blocks?

Just guesses. We do know that games with next-gen patches load about as fast as we expected so I don't believe its a system firmware issue but rather a game by game change that needs to be implemented.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Seems downloading games just got a whole lot quicker on PS5..

I presume SSD helps a lot with the installing/copying process that could take awhile on PS4.

Nice; I have gigabit and PS4 is always depressingly slow to download.

This is actually one of the best pieces of news I've seen lol

And install/copy is a separate step.. just downloading also takes forever on PS4.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom