• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krisprolls

Banned
They used different save games, save states to conduct these tests. Except for Witcher 3 and Yakuza (PS5 was 50 to 150% faster)

Funny how on BC PS5 is sometimes a lot faster at loading than XSX, and sometimes a lot slower. It feels more like a bug than a restriction in this video : it should be more similar between games if it was a restriction. I'd say a patch is probable.

Last edited:

user1337

I tried to tell you guys PS5 doesn't have quick resume.

@kyliethicc apologize sir.

jk

giphy.gif

To be fair, I said I expected some form quick resume, and the activity hub does allow that. But yes, the stop wherever and jump back to exactly that spot is not there. So you were correct on that.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
giphy.gif

To be fair, I said I expected some form quick resume, and the activity hub does allow that. But yes, the stop wherever and jump back to exactly that spot is not there. So you were correct on that.
lol.. "To be fair, I'm going to call something that has nothing to do with quick resume, 'some form of quick resume'"

Come on bro.

Seph-

We saw there was more to it when the initial XsX load time comparisons came out. While improved, the load times weren't matching up with what we expected from the raw speeds of the Xbox SSD.

One thing to point out is that the BC games haven't been patched to take advantage of the new compression techniques available on both PS5/XsX. While a smaller % difference than the raw throughput will be, this is an area not taken advantage of in BC games.
Another factor is how much of current gen decompression relied on the CPU vs the zlib decompression blocks current gen? Was it all done by the blocks? Does this require a patch to rework file look up tables, as well as fully leverage the new decompression blocks?

Just guesses. We do know that games with next-gen patches load about as fast as we expected so I don't believe its a system firmware issue but rather a game by game change that needs to be implemented.
Pretty much. It's not as easy as having x transfer speed. Compressions methods and all come down to coding still. It's pretty clear as well since it's occurring on a game by game basis. Something seems like its either being mimicked better or something needs to be tweaked. It doesn't look as though something is just bottlenecking or working as intended otherwise I don't personally think it being game by game would be the case. Obviously that's my opinion still but yah know.

Montauk

There are contradictory reports on the PS5 loading time for TLOU2. I've seen it quoted at being considerably shorter than PS4.

I think this clearly shows that different people are testing the same games in different ways and on PS5 units with different game/OS patches applied. Until we get all that cleared up and squared away it's impossible to make accurate comparisons.

It was Kotaku btw.

Great Hair

Banned
Funny how on BC PS5 is sometimes a lot faster at loading than XSX, and sometimes a lot slower. Feels more like a bug than a restriction in this video. Should be more similar between games if it was a restriction. I'd say a patch is probable.

Pretty sure they run in PS4 mode, not fully taking advantage. But in Witcher 3 for some reason, the loading times are substantially faster on the PS5. Was Witcher 3 optimized?

IntentionalPun

Quite a big deal considering the SSD size.
Yup.

I have only a 512GB SSD on my PC and I honestly don't even bother copying games to my HDD to back them up when I want to delete them to make room because with steam I can literally download a 50GB game in around 20 minutes... so the decision to delete a game to try another is easy, as I can easily just re-download the other game if I want.

Last edited:

Lysandros

something doesn't add up and I also would like to know what the problem is...

I mean adding a slow Sata SSD to the PS4 cut the loading time roundabout in half in most cases.
If you look at the PS5 loading times, it is only 2-3 times faster then a PS4 with HDD, so it would not be that much faster then a PS4 with SSD, despite a way faster SSD, way faster decompression block, way faster CPU, way faster RAM.
And I don't buy the "games have to be optimised for the SSD" argument, the loading should still be way faster then it is now.
I am quite puzzled at the moment. Maybe it is something that will be fixed with new firmware?
I agree, and Sony should do something about it 'quickly' before further damage is done to the 'world's fastest console' image. Right now the competition has a golden opportunity in his hands and it will use it...

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

How is this even possible?
Lack of proper optimization of backwards compatibility, I guess. Or maybe unoptimized games run better on an XSX, rather than a PS5.

Remember DuskGolem who said that RE8 run like shit on the PS5 but just dandy on the XSX? I still believe he was telling the truth. The XSX is probably closer to PC architecture, ergo unoptimized games run better on the XSX. The PS5 is easy to code for, but probably a bit more different than a PC, unlike the XSX.

Source is my ass, I'm not a technician.

Krisprolls

Banned
Pretty sure they run in PS4 mode, not fully taking advantage. But in Witcher 3 for some reason, the loading times are substantially faster on the PS5. Was Witcher 3 optimized?

It's possible, I didn't read anything about that. The PS5 SSD being so fast may mean some older games break when used at full speed and you need to work on each game BC individually...

Last edited:

icerock

Boot-up and interface
It starts with a press of the power button, eliciting the same ping as PS4 - but the similarity from one console generation to the next ends there. From a cold boot, PlayStation 5 is ready for use in less than 14 seconds (halve that if you're coming back from Rest Mode) and right off the bat, you're good to go.

From DF review, so that's another reviewer whose PS5 booting times are less than half of what Tom Warren posted.

Beyond pathetic what they're doing over at Verge.

IntentionalPun

My theory on PS4 BC load times:

PS4 has a hardware Zlib texture decompression unit...

PS5 has it's own custom texture decompression unit...

It's possible that for PS4 games that haven't been patched to do so, their textures aren't decompressed on the custom PS5 hardware, but rather have to go through the CPU. Or maybe there is no patch to do so at all, and no PS4 game will ever load that fast on PS5.

So raw I/O is much faster, but any compressed texture then hits a bottleneck.

Source: my ass... it's the taught ass of someone whose been developing software for 22 years, but still an ass.

Last edited:

user1337

Seems downloading games just got a whole lot quicker on PS5..

I presume SSD helps a lot with the installing/copying process that could take awhile on PS4.

It's also got much better networking. Apparent since they didn't need to, but did also opt for WiFi 6.

JonkyDonk

My theory on PS4 BC load times:

PS4 has a hardware Zlib texture decompression unit...

PS5 has it's own custom texture decompression unit...

It's possible that for PS4 games that haven't been patched to do so, their textures aren't decompressed on the custom PS5 hardware, but rather have to go through the CPU. Or maybe there is no patch to do so at all, and no PS4 game will ever load that fast on PS5.

So raw I/O is much faster, but any compressed texture then hits a bottleneck.

Source: my ass... it's the taught ass of someone whose been developing software for 22 years, but still an ass.
I have a feeling that PS5s BC will improve with patches down the line, and those numbers will improve a lot.

Power ConsumptionPlayStation 5PlayStation 4 Pro
Power Off1.3W1.5W
Rest Mode (Network Disabled)1.5W5W
Rest Mode (Downloading Game)36W50W
Front End (Idle)47W63W
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Peak)203WTBC
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Peak, 30fps cap)107W147W
Knack (Peak, unlocked fps, PS5 locks to 60fps)135W148W

From DFs review.

Also:

Xbox Series X presents the notion of latent power yet to be unleashed, and is almost conservative in its presentation - both in terms of its cuboid form factor and its UI, which is to all intents and purposes a smoother, slicker, faster version of the Xbox One interface. PlayStation 5 is an altogether different experience - a Buck Rogers physical design with system software that's fast, immediate, beautifully presented, and almost excessively eager to herald the arrival of a new generation of gaming, to the point where you're even given a pack-in game. Yes, Astro's Playroom fully deserves its Eurogamer Essential award, and strategically, it's a Wii Sports-style play from Sony that showcases a brilliant new controller - and it works.

Meanwhile, it's business as usual on the first-party front: Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales may well be a cross-generational title, but it still manages to be a stunning workout for the new hardware that wouldn't look out of place on a high-end PC. Meanwhile, the Demon's Souls remake is not too far away and further first-party goodies are announced and en route. And did we mention just how good the backwards compatibility turned out to be? And that select PS4 Pro games like Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone are already running at 60 frames per second? Microsoft laid down the gauntlet and it's good to see Sony rising to the challenge. Sony may well be wedded to the notion of the console generation, but the PlayStation 4 library has not been left behind.

This is PlayStation 5 - and it's terrific.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

Gold Member
Anyone still disappointed with XSS? I realy hope that developers will not care about that abomination of the console and if they want to go for graphics fidelity with 1440p30fps on PS5/XSX they will just do it and left XSS behind with 720p.

Mahavastu

Should've written it in yellow background
they once said in an interview, that they want to make the best polish game of the year.
I guess they found out that it is easier to reach that goal if they release their game in a different year than cyberpunk :messenger_winking:
Anyway, yellow background would fit. One would know what to expect from the message without even reading it. :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

icerock

Power ConsumptionPlayStation 5PlayStation 4 Pro
Power Off1.3W1.5W
Rest Mode (Network Disabled)1.5W5W
Rest Mode (Downloading Game)36W50W
Front End (Idle)47W63W
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Peak)203WTBC
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Peak, 30fps cap)107W147W
Knack (Peak, unlocked fps, PS5 locks to 60fps)135W148W

From DFs review.

The whole review is incredibly well written. DF are genuinely a cut above the rest when it comes to this stuff.

Zadom

Yup.

I have only a 512GB SSD on my PC and I honestly don't even bother copying games to my HDD to back them up when I want to delete them to make room because with steam I can literally download a 50GB game in around 20 minutes... so the decision to delete a game to try another is easy, as I can easily just re-download the other game if I want.
I didn’t expect such improvement when downloading games. I agree that it will be nice to not have such a grueling decision to delete a game. And I was going to try to transfer several PS4 games to PS5 by ethernet cable but now I will just download them. That is very nice.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

First of all, similar to Series X, I think that noise is basically a non-issue with PlayStation 5. Close-up to the console, you can hear the slight whir of the fan, but in living room, office or bedroom conditions, this totally disappears into the ambient noise. Fan speeds (and thus noise) also seem remarkably consistent, and even ramping up power draw as much as I could with Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales in photo mode - and then leaving the console alone for an hour - PlayStation 5 continued to be just as cool and quiet. The thermal photography of the system under load is literally illuminating.

Lysandros

Last edited:

SSfox

Spiderman MM reviews are out and are super positives overall.

It's insane to think that next gen games start to get reviews, and once launch games will be out, this just popped in my head, but i wonder if there is a chance we see GOW Ragnarok at Gameawards, not sure if this may happen but that would be too neat

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

I don't see that happening with old games. I mean, what reason does Larian Studios have to patch Divinity Original Sin 1?
I'm not saying on a game by game basis. I'm thinking system firmware updates. Sony has a disclaimer for all PS4 games on their store that you should update to the latest firmware before playing on PS5. I think there might still be improvements to be made on a system level for BC.

IntentionalPun

I don't see that happening with old games. I mean, what reason does Larian Studios have to patch Divinity Original Sin 1?
Yeah I'm pretty sure any patching has to be done at the game level.

And while it might "sound easy"; that's just not how it works.. you've got your PS4 game source code sitting somewhere and people might not have even looked at it in years if the game isn't currently being patched on PS4. And releasing a patch means QA'ing it, and going through the submission process... none of this is free, and the benefit is small to the dev.

Mahavastu

But unless Sony is using a hypervisor there is little chance of any sort of quick resume happening.
Remember, how Cerny talked about the BC with PS4/PS4Pro/Boost mode?
It would be much easier to do that with virtuel machines and hypervisor. I am quite sure they are using this.

IntentionalPun

Remember, how Cerny talked about the BC with PS4/PS4Pro/Boost mode?
It would be much easier to do that with virtuel machines and hypervisor. I am quite sure they are using this.
There is no hypervisor on PS4 Pro and it has a boost mode.. nor do you need a hypervisor on a PC to change the speed of your CPU/GPU.

Only time Sony has used a hypervisor was for the Linux mode on PS3; which they later removed.

Last edited:

SSfox

RDR 2 - Basically a tie
FF XV - XSX wins by a small amount but its a different chapter maybe?
Destiny - XSX wins about 25%
Monster Hunter W - 35 vs 51 so XSX wins again
Batman Arkham Knight - 58 vs 67 so minor win for XSX

Interesting, loading are more faster on BC games on XSX even tho PS5 ssd is way faster, it really shows that MS put a lot of efforts on BC games (i wish they did as much for new exclusives games, but y'know)

That being said, it will be interesting to see how it's gonna be for the new next gen games, actual PS5 exclusives are already showing strong and best results in the loading departments, can't wait to see how games like ACV and Cyberpunk loading loading will perform in the consoles.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

There is no hypervisor on PS4 Pro and it has a boost mode.. nor do you need a hypervisor on a PC to change the speed of your CPU/GPU.
They do not only change the clock speed, they do way more to ensure compatibility.
As I said, it would make life much easier for them and I would be surprised if they would not use it, as it is a prime example for something where it just makes sense.

IntentionalPun

They do not only change the clock speed, they do way more to ensure compatibility.
As I said, it would make life much easier for them and I would be surprised if they would not use it, as it is a prime example for something where it just makes sense.
Yes, they did way more at the CHIP LEVEL.. at the instruction set level. AMD did this.. it's not some software implementation.

Sony could be using a hypervisor still; but they aren't using it for their BC compatibility.. that contradicts what Cerny said.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Most importantly slower load times

You do understand that one has a 99% compatibility vs the other being patched on a game basis right? This is out of the box, nothing is preventing it from changing in the future, considering PS5 SSD has double the raw speed of XSX.

So yeah, slower loading times but some games are actually reaching better framerates on PS5 vs XSX. Check the DF compatibility video Sekiro is one of them.

Montauk

Interesting that the article states less than 14 seconds for the PS5 cold boot. Tom Warren's PS5 must be obeying to his desires..

Always straight to a lazy, unevidenced conspiracy theory rather then applying any thought at all to the context. They could be testing on different OS and game patches.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom