• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

user1337

In case anyone wants to watch PS access play through some games:

These are UK times:
lw30xq0.png

TheGejsza

Damn, I think technically we can call it new IP and those results are amazing but... for many people this is "Assassins Creed from Sony" in Japan. It's just mindblowing how hard ubi fucked it up by not releasing Japan AC. This game was everything that AC fans asked from Ubi for many years - Japan, great gameplay and more-or-less historically accurate. Add the "buglessness" thx to Sony and their quality control and here you have - 5 mil on a single platform.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I expected even better perf from XSX, tbh.
XSX's 18% advantage would be like 10-15fps on a 'proper' next gen game, and even then you would only see that on a game with an unlocked framerate, like DMC, and that would be if tools were fantastic on both.
Sony fans keep going on about Xbox fanboys believing Dealers tweet (even though i have never seen one of them say the same), but i think some Sony fans believed it.
The diferences, with both going full pelt, would be like the OneX, but slightly less, so the same framerate, more or less the same graphic settings, and one with a higher resolution. Possible the XSX hitting a l;ocked 60fps, and PS5 having the odd drop into the 50's, on a game that really pushes both systems hard.

cragarmi

What most people are neglecting to test is a second boot on PS5. It has a feature to only show splash screens on first boot, should the developer enable it.
If cards and the general quick-loading applied as expected on PS5, think QR is generally going to be more useful on single player games, cards is going to be more useful in multiplayer games and kinda want Microsoft to copy that.
All we need now is a fancy name for gamers to bug Devs to include in future updates. I propose Splash Pass, or Flash Splash? 😆

Last edited:

vkbest

Now if only Sony would revert to pre-Update 8.00 party functions (and implement USB Music Player on PS5 lol).....I would be a most pleased soul. So great to see you folks getting your nextgen PS goodness :messenger_beermugs: :messenger_ok:!

"Can I listen to my own music while playing on PS5?"

"Yes. Spotify will be supported at launch, enabling music playback, including as in-game background music. Players can also listen to music from a USB drive, including MP3, FLAC, and AAC formats. "

Last edited:
Why are these comparisons made with multiplatform launch games?

It's only 1st party studios and possibly 2nd or 3rd wave multiplatform and exclusive games that will start to take advantage of these SSD's.

The differences won't be seen anytime soon until devs get a proper handle on the hardware.

Since there are no 1st party games on one system, and won't be for a year or 2, you'd be waiting a while.

Haha.

I fully expect Xbox to divulge sales numbers the moment they are ahead of PS5 in whatever territory.

So never then.

Last edited:

cragarmi

cragarmi cragarmi your avatar says that the embargo has been lifted, so spill the beans, you and that floating goatee HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 .:messenger_pouting:
See above for Splash Pass*tm (patent pending) 😄 It is supported by at least all the Sony launch games, but is currently not functioning correctly, I would expect an update in the coming days to fix this. (Part of switcher) I was told told that Valhalla also supported this, so it's load time on second boot should be significantly faster, once this bug is fixed, there may be more titles that support it, but is currently disabled due to this bug. There's more, but I shouldn't be allowed to have all the fun. HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , your up next!

Last edited:

Stuart360

Basic math says 18% will only yield 10fps on 60fps games and 5fps on 30fps games. In best case scenarios ignoring everything else..
Well of course, hense why i said 'if a game was unlocked. The power difference is nowhere big enough to ever have a situation like 60fps on XSX and 30fps on PS5.
The differences imo will be similar to the OneX and Pro for most games, the same framerate target, and XSX a slightly higher resolution most of the time.

Last edited:

BigLee74

my ps5 that i am buying does not cost 500 bucks, what are you talking about.

My ps5 which is a 100 bucks cheaper is still doing the exact thing in that devil man cry video.

its not damage control, its a fact.

Yeah, well I got a copy of DMC from my pal to play it. Is your 100 bucks less machine playing your pals copy?

What's your point caller?

reksveks

See above for Splash Pass*tm (patent pending) 😄 It is supported by at least all the Sony launch games, but is currently not functioning correctly, I would expect an update in the coming days to fix this. (Part of switcher) I was told told that Valhalla also supported this, so it's load time on second boot should be significantly faster, once this bug is fixed, there may be more titles that support it, but is currently disabled due to this bug. There's more, but I shouldn't be allowed to have all the fun. HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , your up next!
To me, the issue isn't going to be the dev's with internal developed engines really, it's the other ones.

still got a better controller, better ssd, and the best sound engine.
any proof of this best sound engine on multiplatform games?

No even a full day into next gen and they are already hiding numbers :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Will Microsoft release dynamic themes for series x?
It already has dynamic themes, you have to go into the settings > personalization . You can also use your own screenshots as a background or images you get from unlocking achievements.

Last edited:

cragarmi

To me, the issue isn't going to be the dev's with internal developed engines really, it's the other ones.

any proof of this best sound engine on multiplatform games?
I expect UE 5 to have support for this, for smaller engines your probably right.

I would say sound quality is at least equal for all multiplatform launch games, but it's potential can be heard in Demon Souls, it can not be understated that that game sounds as good as it looks!. Audiophiles will love it.

Shmunter

I’m probably light years behind on reporting findings. Fortnite is native PS5 now, cards are used to select game mode, e.g solos, duos etc, jumping straight to it bypassing the in game navigation. Expected, and super useful.

Game takes advantage of Dualsense. Pressing the trigger is stiff and mechanical feeling unlike the traditional sponge. It’s critical all shooters do this. 👍🏻

Gfx look great, but I can’t tell if it’s simply evolved since I tried it years ago, or if it’s PS5 cranking it.

Now to delete it.

Mr Moose

Well of course, hense why i said 'if a game was unlocked. The power difference is nowhere big enough to ever have a situation like 60fps on XSX and 30fps on PS5.
The differences imo will be similar to the OneX and Pro for most games, the same framerate target, and XSX a slightly higher resolution most of the time.
You're expecting a 40+% difference? That's the difference in most games between the Pro and One X.

Stuart360

This excuse was used at the start of the PS4/Xbox One gen, too. Like the PS5 tools won't mature also, they'll just sit there, stagnating.
Its not me saying that, its been said in here for months on end, ever since DF said they heard that from devs.
Its been used as a crotch against XSX for months in this thread.

Md Ray

It won't be similar to One X and Pro. The difference in power gap between them is very large. 43% in computational power (TFLOPs) and 50% on the memory bandwidth side.

PS5 and XSX hardware spec difference is nowhere near that big.

Stuart360

You're expecting a 40+% difference? That's the difference in most games between the Pro and One X.

XSX's 18% advantage would be like 10-15fps on a 'proper' next gen game, and even then you would only see that on a game with an unlocked framerate, like DMC, and that would be if tools were fantastic on both.
Sony fans keep going on about Xbox fanboys believing Dealers tweet (even though i have never seen one of them say the same), but i think some Sony fans believed it.
The diferences, with both going full pelt, would be like the OneX, but slightly less, so the same framerate, more or less the same graphic settings, and one with a higher resolution. Possible the XSX hitting a l;ocked 60fps, and PS5 having the odd drop into the 50's, on a game that really pushes both systems hard.
Which is exactly what i said. It will be more than a few lines, but wont be as big a differnce as OneX over Pro.
I'm saying i expect the situation to be like with the OneX and Pro, over the gen. So the same target framerate but the resoltuon slightly higher on XSX, but not as BIG a diference as the resolution between OneX and Pro.

FunkMiller

I'm saying i expect the situation to be like with the OneX and Pro, over the gen. So the same target framerate but the resoltuon slightly higher on XSX, but not as BIG a diference as the resolution between OneX and Pro.

You‘re probably right - with third party.

I‘m pretty convinced Ps5 first party exclusives will universally be the best looking and best running games of this generation, simply because they won’t have to be created for other, lesser platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom