• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToadMan

Guys didn't I say to you lot several months back that I believed PS5 would outperform the Series X with launch titles? I'm going to dig up those old posts in this thread.

You should all do a whip round and buy me another world's most powerful console (PS5) for my unstinting commitment to the truth.

Yeah it might be time for some truth and reconciliation now.

I already went back and had a look at some of the old posts just after the cerny thing. The lack of awareness of some of those guys was staggering... difficult to imagine a hobby with so many ill informed people

Even more staggering that in the face of real data now some are still saying “just wait”, optimisation, more time blah blah.

There was never going to be a practical difference between the FPS and res on the machines - it was always going to come down to pixel peeping...optimisation isn’t going to find 40fps or 8k lol

Last edited:

LiquidRex

What if after all the FF7 Remake buzz on PlayStation, Square end up being bought by Microsoft and thus the final part of the Remake can only be played on Xbox Series X/S 😂😂😂

I'm just the worst sometimes 😝

But tbh honest there's a lot of whispers that Microsoft have acquired a big Japanese based studio, to the point it'll be deafening very soon. 🤔

So who could it be.

Capcom
Square Enix
Sega
Konami

🤷‍♂️

J_Gamer.exe

Flashback...

Remember when fanboys said because Sony was quiet early on it was because they were in shock by xbox power and didn't want to release comparisons etc.

Those guys took one hell of a beating.

tenor.gif

Surely xbox power marketing cant continue if this carries on?

Shmunter

Ok potential problem with PS5. It seems to not do any game vs download network prioritisation. Playing Modern Warefare my pings blow out when things are downloading. Pause all downloads pings settle to normal.

Can anybody confirm, if universal this shit needs immediate attention.

Also side note, you can pause all via options button, but no way to unpause all. So you need to go one by one to unpause.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Its great they are so close with ps5 being just slightly more powerful with better V sync

this is only one game, doesn’t change a thing (raw theoretical power), unless, we should look for singular confirmations to match our bias, then based on what kotaku reported for loading times for NBA2K21 Xbox ssd is faster than ps 5....can you see problem with this approach?

geordiemp

this is only one game, doesn’t change a thing (raw theoretical power), unless, we should look for singular confirmations to match our bias, then based on what kotaku reported for loading times for NBA2K21 Xbox ssd is faster than ps 5....can you see problem with this approach?

Sony games like spiderman load in 2 seconds....

But you cannot deny a 20 % smaller chip, 36 CU vs 52 CU, there is excellent design optimisation here which should be recognised.

Raw power is NOT TF, how many times. XSX is not more raw powerful for games, it can do more calculations on ALU IF all the data is nicely there for it every clock in THEORY. XSX is more powerful if you do mining,.

I am just waiting for more indepth explanations of ps5 caches and Geometry engine, and indeed the CU design which will be detailed further in the RDNA2 white paper, fine gated clocks and opimised data paths etc

It will become clearer for all soon enough, I was not suprised - go read any of my posts for last 6 months.

I am sure XSX will benefit insome games, all engines are different, but 1440p60 open world ....,,,...Watchdogs up next.

Last edited:

How does this not change anything? We have multiple games performing similarly with the PS5 "winning" occasionally depending on modes. Then we have stuff like MM having ray tracing implementation that everyone seems to be very impressed with. The PS5 is clearly powerful and designed well and the whole power narrative of the xbox fell flat, especially with some terrible showings like the Halo Infinite gameplay they showed off.

The point is the different isn't really there and that being the case is a win for the PS5 because the main line from the xbox camp was that even though the xbox doesn't have those nice exclusives, that it will be THE place for cross platform games, and the truth is it isn't. Even if future games perform better than the PS5 it won't be at a large enough gap to justify losing out on the PS exclusives, DualSense, 3D audio, faster IO, future PSVR, ect. Gamepass and quick resume seem to be the only real wins for the xbox this round.

The xbox is solid, but they talked a big game and I think Sony shut up and got it done.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

Yeah I guess it could just be settings for a browser component currently exposed to games/apps. As pointed out in another thread, the twitter app is essentially a browser (and can follow links.)
They need a browser backend engine to run on the PS5 for the apps.
Most of the media apps like Amazon, Dazn and so on are written in HTML + Javascript to make it easy to port and maintain them on tons of different platforms.

sircaw

Banned
Sony games liike spiderman load in 2 seconds....

But you cannot deny a 20 smaller chip, 36 CU vs 52 CU, there is excellent design optimisation here which should be recognised.

I am just waiting for more indepth explanations of ps5 caches and Geometry engine, and indeed the CU design which will be detailed further in the RDNA2 white paper, fine gated clocks and opimised data paths etc

It will become clearer for all soon enough, I was not suprised - go read any of my posts for last 6 months.

Me too, can't wait "lollipop_disappointed:

Garani

Ok potential problem with PS5. It seems to not do any game vs download network prioritisation. Playing Modern Warefare my pings blow out when things are downloading. Pause all downloads pings settle to normal.

Can anybody confirm, if universal this shit needs immediate attention.

Also side note, you can pause all via options button, but no way to unpause all. So you need to go one by one to unpause.

First point is normal: if you are saturating your bandwidth, ping will suffer. If you have anything less than a 1gbit/s line you will be bound to have such problem.

Second point you cha fix the pause/unpause issue with a software update.

Basically everything ca be dealt with appropriate options on the system software, I wouldn't worry at this point, but if I were you I would send a note to Sony so that they can track the request and put it into the development pipeline.

Yeah it might be time for some truth and reconciliation now.

I already went back and had a look at some of the old posts just after the cerny thing. The lack of awareness of some of those guys was staggering... difficult to imagine a hobby with so many ill informed people

Even more staggering that in the face of real data now some are still saying “just wait”, optimisation, more time blah blah.

There was never going to be a practical difference between the FPS and res on the machines - it was always going to come down to pixel peeping...optimisation isn’t going to find 40fps or 8k lol

It's a truthbomb that will sting a certain set of people probably the entire gen.

The 'wait for next gen' titles excuse now is hilarious. When's the next big next gen exclusive multiplat title, 2022?!

Shmunter

First point is normal: if you are saturating your bandwidth, ping will suffer. If you have anything less than a 1gbit/s line you will be bound to have such problem.

Second point you cha fix the pause/unpause issue with a software update.

Basically everything ca be dealt with appropriate options on the system software, I wouldn't worry at this point, but if I were you I would send a note to Sony so that they can track the request and put it into the development pipeline.
Generic wise it’s normal. Console wise, not normal. PS4 throttled background downloads and prioritised multiplayer. Console needs basic QOS.

Has been a standard since 360 days.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
AC doesn't utilize the new APIs for file access on either platform is the obious conclusion here as other 1st party PS5 games show massive speed differences. What was your point?

You aren't going to get a 1:1 comparison on this because most studios that make the xbox exclusive titles aren't exclusive to xbox. There is NO chance of determining that the PS5 is significantly faster in any SSD metric compared to the xbox in this case. And I seriously doubt that a 3rd party would waste the time trying to code for every platform (including the PC).

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Has anyone tried to stream any PS Now games on their PS5 yet? Be interested if there are any improvements in supported resolution or video quality?

ToadMan

It's a truthbomb that will sting a certain set of people probably the entire gen.

The 'wait for next gen' titles excuse now is hilarious. When's the next big next gen exclusive multiplat title, 2022?!

I’m not certain both these xboxes will survive to see those exclusives ...

MS need to make a big discount on price early next year to keep Xsex in the game. They need to at least match the DE price and go $50 less to really try and get back market share.

They should probably look at giving series S away for “free” with a years subscription to GPU and Live.

Otherwise I just don’t see how it sells to the post launch audience...

MastaKiiLA

PS5 graphics advantage: (note: 1440p screenshots)

vlcsnap-2020-11-13-12h33m03s599.png

Xbox Series X: less sharper details, banding in the background (low bitrate/8-bit?)

vlcsnap-2020-11-13-12h33m12s229.png

Timestamped:

Isn't this more about the XSX output than actual quality? On my 4k TV, the textures actually look the same. It's just the XSX image is noticeably darker. I feel like this is what people refer to as "crushed blacks", but I honestly don't know what that actually refers to. NX mentioned that he captured the videos in SDR, so I don't know if that has anything to do with the differences in contrast settings.

I don't think the screenshots posted in various threads tell the full tale of the image quality. I think some might be captured at different points in the video, where the source resolution might be lower on the XSX than the PS5, but mostly, they're just darker than the PS5 images. The PS5's video quality looked to have more representative contrast settings, so details were easier to make out. But NX made no mention of seeing a visual disparity in detail in the video, outside of his comments on the upscaling difference. So I'm erring on the side of visual parity here.

That's just my take. You're welcome to disagree. I do recommend everyone watch these comparison videos on a proper 4k TV though. I actually refuse to watch 1080p videos of next-gen games, unless it's a first-time reveal like the Miles Spiderverse suit. For judging image quality, we have to see these things are full sail, or a lot of detail is lost.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Isn't this more about the XSX output than actual quality? On my 4k TV, the textures actually look the same. It's just the XSX image is noticeably darker. I feel like this is what people refer to as "crushed blacks", but I honestly don't know what that actually refers to. NX mentioned that he captured the videos in SDR, so I don't know if that has anything to do with the differences in contrast settings.

I don't think the screenshots posted in various threads tell the full tale of the image quality. I think some might be captured at different points in the video, where the source resolution might be lower on the XSX than the PS5, but mostly, they're just darker than the PS5 images. The PS5's video quality looked to have more representative contrast settings, so details were easier to make out. But NX made no mention of seeing a visual disparity in detail in the video, outside of his comments on the upscaling difference. So I'm erring on the side of visual parity here.

That's just my take. You're welcome to disagree. I do recommend everyone watch these comparison videos on a proper 4k TV though. I actually refuse to watch 1080p videos of next-gen games, unless it's a first-time reveal like the Miles Spiderverse suit. For judging image quality, we have to see these things are full sail, or a lot of detail is lost.

I'm just showing what's shown on that video, it's 1440p we need a 4K comparison. It is 8-bit footage (XSX), with bad color mapping as it seems. It could be as well XSX forcing fake HDR that is causing banding in the background and washed out details.

Crushed blacks is another story, it's forcing blacker/darker image while finer details get lost from the original source just to have a fake "good blacks". Even LG OLED's suffer from that by the way, and Sony is the best in the business when it comes to image processing according to many TV experts. But those capture cards usually don't use the data out of the tv but direct feed from the console/PC.

PS5 supports even automated 4K@60fps HDR internally up to last 15 minutes in WebM or MP4 natively, or to whatever time you like using the built-in Share Factory Studio app to capture it for as long as you want.

Last edited:

BigLee74

I love the way all these xbox hardcore fanatics are all sweet and lovable now after that nxgamer video.

full of understanding and wanting to have a deeper conversation.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH-------------------------FUCK OFF Take your god damn loss and eat your fucking crow.
You guys know who you are, you have been giving sony fans shit for months about the power narrative.

You wait till you see how much better those multiplats are going to perform on the X.

Time for bed, i am going to sleep well

Yeah, you appear to be every bit the idiot you have always come over as on this forum. I wonder when this thread disappears, if you will fulfil the promises you made a few weeks ago and leave the forum?

Here's hoping! I'll be first in line to usher you out the door! 😉

That's the risk of MS using third party games as launch titles... I just can't believe how shit Ubisoft was to be so dismissive of the PS5 version of Valhalla, hiding the DualSense support and putting dubious comments over the resolution.

geordiemp

Yeah, you appear to be every bit the idiot you have always come over as on this forum. I wonder when this thread disappears, if you will fulfil the promises you made a few weeks ago and leave the forum?

Here's hoping! I'll be first in line to usher you out the door! 😉

Its a gaming console.

Have some fun yes, post some GIFs we are alowed to have a laugh, but leave out the personal attacks man, its not cool.

BigLee74

Its a gaming console.

Have some fun yes, post some GIFs we are alowed to have a laugh, but leave out the personal attacks man, its not cool.

Nah, what's not cool is telling folk to fuck off. Im at an age where I don't suffer idiots gladly, and will call them out.

Ill just bow out of this thread, it's obviously not for me.

Nowcry

There is no use thinking of TF in two different architectures. PS5 has modifications to improve the effectiveness of the caches and with this the CUs are able to remain less waiting, it also has a single CCX CPU that shares cache, it is the cause that 120 fps is more stable on PS5 even having less MHz.

Then you have deeper layers of the APIs and geometry engine that are technically superior to anything currently in control.

But the biggest problem is that 14/16 CU per array shaders and split memory don't work well without a lot of optimization work, but a lot of work. 10/8 CU by shaders array without split memory is easier to optimize, of course it can always be improved but of course there is less CU waiting from minute1. At the same hours of work, they yield more than 10 CU per array shaders, which is also the maximum configuration that AMD has put in both RDNA1 and RDNA2 GPUs.

What we are seeing is how some unified caches, some caches with correctors to improve the HIT and a powerful IO to improve VRAM management, you get to push above the 10.28 TFLOPs that we know together with a great job from Sony's ICE Team in the creation of APIs.

I think BGs BGs already said long ago that the SX would be a disappointment in that sense when you already have it at home. I think you deserve an apology p

I hope people have learned about this extra marketing stunt and are not getting carried away with it. MS knows perfectly well that 14 / 16CU per shader array would not be effective except for mathematical operations or minning and much less without a great control over caches.

I'm glad because I hope that the community learns from this, and I hope that MS also learns to stop doing that toxic marketing that they have been doing all this time. Since in the end it has been proven that their hardware decisions were based on marketing and not knowledge.

After 4000 pages of FUD and calling ourselves crazy who defended the architecture of PS5 we can finally sleep with our heads held high where our hardware knowledge and knowing that we have exposed all those who threw stones at us.

Last edited:
So the game uses DS features...

Why the fuck some people were saying it don't... weird!!
Are you callling B Bittermich weird?
so, either trust some random twitter guy or Ubisoft:
As you can see ehre they do not mention DS features at all:

PlayStation 5: PS5 players can immerse themselves in the stunning open world with the power of the Tempest 3D Audio Engine to hear the environment around them, along with detailed 4K at 60 frames per second visuals, and faster loading speeds due to the additional power of the console’s ultra-high speed SSD. If you purchase a PS4 copy of the game, you’ll be able to upgrade at no additional cost to the PS5** edition.
For other games in their blog they actually mention those features:

PlayStation 5: Immerse yourself in a beautiful open world and feel the environment like never-before thanks to the Tempest 3D Audio engine and PS5 DualSense haptic feedback.

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/arti...e-next-generation-of-consoles-get-the-details

So, yeah I’m still saying no, until Ubisoft confirms something else.

Also, get a life and don’t stalk me. Thanks.

Garani

Generic wise it’s normal. Console wise, not normal. PS4 throttled background downloads and prioritised multiplayer. Console needs basic QOS.

Has been a standard since 360 days.
I agree, every modern device should have QOS embedded. Problem is that you will have to configure it at your network device point, and not everyone has the capabilities to undrstand the shit that it under the rag.

Still, best bet would be a OS update. Put a request forward. That stuff is fixable.

Well folks,

I've made good on what I hoped for so far, but it'll be a while before I'm able to enjoy what you guys are.

They cleared us and yesterday my wife and I signed on our first home and were given the keys. We will be spending the weekend moving in, so it'll be a while yet.

That being said, I was the final preorder left at my GameStop yesterday evening to pick up after closing. So I have it and will play it in the new place..eventually.

Patience is decidedly not looking like a virtue every time I look at the unopened box and games. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom