• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that I'm seeing a 11.4 second loading screen for PS5 on ACV and then looking at Miles Morales taking a second to load everything tells me that the first wave of third-party multiplat titles coming out aren't really programmed to make proper use of the SSD tech just yet. Maybe second or third wave, we might see no loading screens on third-parties, hopefully.
I wonder if third-party developers are utilizing PS5's fully programmable geometry engine. I think it was redtechgaming that mentioned Sony showcasing demos to developers on the benefits of going the extra mile with it.

Rea

It is absolutely ridiculous how good Tsushima looks on PS5. Is it just me or does the ps5 display colors and hdr differently? The game did not look anywhere near that vibrant on my og day 1 PS4.
PS5's Display HDR processor might be better than ps4.

3liteDragon

I wonder if third-party developers are utilizing PS5's fully programmable geometry engine. I think it was redtechgaming that mentioned Sony showcasing demos to developers on the benefits of going the extra mile with it.
Doubt it, I don't even think the Demon's Souls remake is making use of the GE on the console at all, because if that was the case, they would've mentioned it in their interview with Digital Foundry. You're not gonna see the GE being used for the first wave of games, wait 2-3 years, then we'll start seeing some amazing stuff.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Why does the PS5 only output 2.1 sound? What is the year of our lord presently?
up to 7.1 for games and video, plus atmos/dts:x for UHDBD

lmlWyuk.jpg

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Yes it was RGT who said it, although people may seem to think the Geometry Engine is a hard to program sort of tool. As with the rest of the PS5 tools/functionality and as was the case with the PS4, I think there is a simple low level of programming required which shouldn't take developers long at all and this would be for performance optimisation like culling and aborting of the vertexes. However it will have significant long term potential, this will be when it comes to more complex stuff like implementing Primitive Shaders, more advanced culling + other unknown features, developers will require more learning and this learning is not unique to PS5, even Mesh Shaders for the Series X require learning and even then they're not used all the time within a game.

Shmunter

Yes it was RGT who said it, although people may seem to think the Geometry Engine is a hard to program sort of tool. As with the rest of the PS5 tools/functionality and as was the case with the PS4, I think there is a simple low level of programming required which shouldn't take developers long at all and this would be for performance optimisation like culling and aborting of the vertexes. However it will have significant long term potential, this will be when it comes to more complex stuff like implementing Primitive Shaders, more advanced culling + other unknown features, developers will require more learning and this learning is not unique to PS5, even Mesh Shaders for the Series X require learning and even then they're not used all the time within a game.
Middleware engines like Unreal will use it at the core and all devs using such things will instantly benefit. Sony will use it as part of their day to day being theirs.

oldergamer

Damn man... imagine if all this talk about 12TF comes down to nothing in the end. A 36CUs GPU bitch slaping a 52CU GPU.

Seriously I thought they would be close but still with a small win for XSX. I know it's still waaaay too early to say anything but I expected pretty much every multiplat to show something of a win for the XSX. Small, but still there.
Are u guys nuts isnt the game capped at 60 fps?

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Middleware engines like Unreal will use it at the core and all devs using such things will instantly benefit. Sony will use it as part of their day to day being theirs.

One thing I do love about Sony is that the hardware/software team of the PS5/4 have extremely strong collaboration with both 1st and 3rd party developers, providing the developers with as much insight and information to the hardware as possible so they can develop the game as is easy as they can. I believe this culture of theirs was born in the PS3 days, Mark Cerny stated how he and others worked hard on creating tons of API's and libraries for both third party and first party developers because they were struggling a lot with the "exotic nature" of the PS3 hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shmunter

One thing I do love about Sony is that the hardware/software team of the PS5/4 have extremely strong collaboration with both 1st and 3rd party developers, providing the developers with as much insight and information to the hardware as possible so they can develop the game as is easy as they can. I believe this culture of theirs was born in the PS3 days, Mark Cerny stated how he and others worked hard on creating hardware profiles and tons of API's for both third party and first party developers because they were struggling a lot with the "exotic nature" of the PS3 hardware.
I recall reading, or watching a docco about the golden days of consoles where platform holders would deliberately keep secrets to themselves so their 1st party games looked better than 3rd party. What a philosophy, good that it’s all turned around.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I recall reading, or watching a docco about the golden days of consoles where platform holders would deliberately keep secrets to themselves so their 1st party games looked better than 3rd party. What a philosophy, good that it’s all turned around.
I think it was Cerny and his team who pioneered this new culture of strong relationships with third party developers in the PS3 days and was later pushed heavily by them in the beginning of the PS4 era and it's really paid off, up to the point where a third party developer Epic actually heavily influenced the design choices of the PS5, crazy right.

3liteDragon

That anyone can write this with a straight face when "SSD Secret Sauce" has been doing the rounds for the last 7 months is, in and of itself, amusing :messenger_grinning_sweat:
The fact that I'm seeing a 11.4 second loading screen for PS5 on ACV and then looking at Miles Morales taking a second to load everything tells me that the first wave of third-party multiplat titles coming out aren't really programmed to make proper use of the SSD tech just yet. Maybe second or third wave, we might see no loading screens on third-parties, hopefully.
I don't know who hyped it up as "secret sauce" tech but I believe the investment Sony made on the overall I/O architecture will pay them dividends 2-3 years into the generation, the potential is there (main example I would say is the UE5 demo), unless it was all marketing buzzwords and I will be proven wrong 3 years later. Games coming out right now are being written on engines specifically made to work with those old ass hard-drives in the PS4 and Xbox One, so I'm not completely surprised I'm not seeing any loading screens on MM (it's a first-party title, Insomniac would've had access to devkits much earlier than any other studio which means they could start re-writing their I/O subsystems to work with the PS5's SSD) while seeing 7+ seconds loading screens on third-parties like Valhalla.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I love the way all these xbox hardcore fanatics are all sweet and lovable now after that nxgamer video.

full of understanding and wanting to have a deeper conversation.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH-------------------------FUCK OFF Take your god damn loss and eat your fucking crow.
You guys know who you are, you have been giving sony fans shit for months about the power narrative.

You wait till you see how much better those multiplats are going to perform on the X.

Time for bed, i am going to sleep well

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Faster caches make a bigger difference than 18% more CUs, who'd of thunk it.
I think the faster caches are not being optimised fully since it's only the beginning of the generation, this is according to Matt Hargett anyway. When they do we should get better performance, that goes for both first and third party games.

That being said, I do remember RGT months ago mentioning the PS5 was not having bandwidth and performance issues thanks to its "robust caching system".

VFXVeteran

Banned
I love the way all these xbox hardcore fanatics are all sweet and lovable now after that nxgamer video.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH-------------------------FUCK OFF Take your god damn loss and eat your fucking crow.
You guys know who you are, you have been giving sony fans shit for months about the power narrative.

You wait till you see how much better those multiplats are going to perform on the X.

I will agree with you on that. The power difference in practice is extremely small from what we see so far.

AND

You gotta eat crow on the SSD speed though.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Wow, all the "XSX is significantly more powerful" rhetoric is certainly not aging well.

I've said all along that the power difference will be vanishingly small. Glad and a little smug to be right about that.

I'm also pretty disappointed sites like DF are still pretending to be shocked by the results; as if it was somehow reasonable to have expected XSX to vastly outperform the PS5, when the power gap in the paper specs is the smallest we've ever seen.

I’m a lifelong Xbox fan and I have both consoles. I am blown away with the PS5! I love the presentation, the way the consoles loooks, the little touches, etc. And for some reason it seems like a more media friendly device (I got the media remote too). I’m impressed and Demons Souls is amazing too (I had it on ps3 but barely played, it was all halo 3/gears for me back then). Congrats Sony

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Calm down hoe

Shmunter

First next generation game comparison between PS5/XSX:

It's roughly the same between both consoles when it comes to frame-rate/resolution.

Xbox superior claim is seriously in question.

The start of the video with the cutscene performing poorly?

NX Gamer is a fantastic dude and a hell of an informed guy. However I’m puzzled why real-time cutscenes were not inspected. From other videos floating about there are major performance issues/tearing on XsX during these moments. PS5 nowhere near as impacted.

Was hoping for NX to either debunk or confirm these, but only gameplay was touched upon. Indeed many reviews lamented on the XsX excessive tearing. I appreciate he mentioned more in-depth analysis to come.

Last edited:
The start of the video with the cutscene performing poorly?

NX Gamer is a fantastic dude and a hell of an informed guy. However I’m puzzled why real-time cutscenes were not inspected. From other videos floating about there are major performance issues/tearing on XsX during these moments. PS5 nowhere near as impacted.

Was hoping for NX to either debunk or confirm these, but only gameplay was touched upon. Indeed many reviews lamented on the XsX excessive tearing. I appreciate he mentioned more in-depth analysis to come.
I hope NX can do one for Cold War, which is more interesting to me than AC. AC is notorious for its CPU bottleneck. no idea whether this one is the same but I'm more curious about COD comparison.

FrankWza

Now the focus is on tempest and audio. Amazing.

THEAP99

Banned

These are just the facts. Also seeing similar issues for ps5 and discs being loud or it not reading games. Glad I got digital as I haven't seen as much of those having issues.

yewles1

Wow, all the "XSX is significantly more powerful" rhetoric is certainly not aging well.

I've said all along that the power difference will be vanishingly small. Glad and a little smug to be right about that.

I'm also pretty disappointed sites like DF are still pretending to be shocked by the results; as if it was somehow reasonable to have expected XSX to vastly outperform the PS5, when the power gap in the paper specs is the smallest we've ever seen.
It certainly surprised me, expected 18-20% delta had gone down to more like 8%.

I see you are beaming with pride that your future $500 console matches the other guy's $500 console

18% is the difference in maximum theoretical compute flops. You wouldn't see any higher than that unless the PS5 was severely bandwidth starved, which it evidently isn't.

Realistically it should be less that the difference in theoretical maximums.

Exactly it, theoretical maximums are never reached, much in the same way a car's total horsepower is never reached, average real world performance depends on so many factors. For marketing purposes however it's easier to throw around numbers.

LiquidRex

FYI the Geometry Engine has not be used to its full potential yet.... Ratchet and Clank will probably be the most advanced looking game to date on PS5 once released, and even then the GE will still not be fully tapped into....

GE is the next gen feature that AMD can't wait to have as part of RDNA 3 feature set.

Bookmark and hit me up once RDNA 3 has been revealed. I bet my Neogaf membership on it. 👍😝

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom