• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
*complains about selective screens

*proceeds to post their own selective screens

console wars ladies & gentlemen.

BowedBeneficialFinwhale-size_restricted.gif

Mahavastu

Selective screens. Both dip at same time as well on other segments. Why is the S st 30fps?
seems like Ubisoft decided to sacrifice fps for resolution.
According to another video the Series S has about 1620p in average, which is pretty high for Series S. I guess it would only be slightly higher than 1080p with 60fps...

timestamped:

jose4gg

The entire video has PS5 average 1 fps higher than XsX. There isnot cherry picking here. Afterall, the BS during the entire year. Where are those 12 tera flops? Yeah, the whole argument just flopped

- Developers will struggle with the variable clock speed.
- 10 GB at 540gb/s will show How fast and great is the Xbox series X.
- XSX is full RDNA2
- Stable, no boost, no nothing performance.

😂 Now they want to forget all that, now that games performs almost identical.

Mr Moose

seems like Ubisoft decided to sacrifice fps for resolution.
According to another video the Series S has about 1620p in average, which is pretty high for Series S. I guess it would only be slightly higher than 1080p with 60fps...

timestamped:

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2880x1620 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2048x1152. Native resolution pixel counts near 2560x1440 seem to be common on Xbox Series S. Xbox Series S uses a form of temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 2880x1620 when rendering natively below this resolution.
Wait, that video is completely wrong, it's never 4k on Series S.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

Is that a NES on the right, on an optical illusion?
Holy shit is that THE console of consoles on the right?? If it is, talk about a beauitful photograph....bridging the gaps of gaming time long and far. Awesome and simple setup. Love it.

Sadly my NES is long gone. My parents gave it to the neighbors kids when we got our N64. The same kids who erased my Zelda save smdh.

This is the box from a limited edition set of sneakers between Vans and Nintendo. You can see why I held on to it. 😊

gfGbchG.jpg

- Developers will struggle with the variable clock speed.
- 10 GB at 540gb/s will show How fast and great is the Xbox series X.
- XSX is full RDNA2
- Stable, no boost, no nothing performance.

😂 Now they want to forget all that, now that games performs almost identical.
Yes, now they are like both consoles are good. But no, we agreed if games are identical then XsX is a failure. They have to accept that their 12TFs machine just failed to deliver.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Yeah, you appear to be every bit the idiot you have always come over as on this forum. I wonder when this thread disappears, if you will fulfil the promises you made a few weeks ago and leave the forum?

Here's hoping! I'll be first in line to usher you out the door! 😉

You have a good day BIG-LEE. HAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA
serves you right with all the bullshit you spread. enjoy your crow, little man.
Don't forget to tune into your favorite Dealer podcast soon, cant wait to hear the spin. hahahahah

Mr Moose

Possible, I did not count the pixel myself. The youtube video looked so shit on my TV that it would not have made sense either :messenger_winking:
They might be confusing it with the One X
Xbox One X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2432x1368. Native resolution pixel counts near 3093x1740 seem to be common on Xbox One X. Xbox One X seems to rarely render at a native resolution of 3840x2160.

Dibils2k

COD Cold War doesn't have smart delivery, but Assassins Creed does. So assassins creed automatically downloads..but COD is two different games, a last gen one, and a "Series X One"

Apparently this same type of issue is happening on PS5 with folks downloading the PS4 version of miles morales and not knowing it too lol
yeah... this cost me 6000 reward points! it doesnt see that i bought Cold War because i have the Cross Gen Edition :messenger_grinning_squinting:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
More PS5 impressions:

- Everything is fast.. that's really my big excitement for next gen since I'm not a graphics whore
- Demon Souls seems fun; only played until I got to the first boss then died/quit but it seems like a game I could get into once I understand the jank a bit better
- The adaptive trigger tech is really cool at least in the demo at the beginning of Astro. Impressive tech
- Other than that though... the 10 minutes I spent in Astro + 10 minutes in Demon Souls the controller was fine, but the haptics are just another kind of rumble for the most part, nothing mindblowing.. no the water does not "feel like water" to me vs. the sand "feeling like sand" lol
- Kinda same for the 3d sound; it's pretty cool.. you get a 3d sense every once in a while, but honestly when the audio isn't "sounding 3d" (like when you get that cool sensation with a good 7.1 system of being surrounded by sound) it sounds weird... like the quality is lowered

But the system is faaaast... booting media apps is fast, downloading is fast.. loading games is fast... THE IMPATIENT MANS DEVICE!

sircaw

Banned
More PS5 impressions:

- Everything is fast.. that's really my big excitement for next gen since I'm not a graphics whore
- Demon Souls seems fun; only played until I got to the first boss then died/quit but it seems like a game I could get into once I understand the jank a bit better
- The adaptive trigger tech is really cool at least in the demo at the beginning of Astro. Impressive tech
- Other than that though... the 10 minutes I spent in Astro + 10 minutes in Demon Souls the controller was fine, but the haptics are just another kind of rumble for the most part, nothing mindblowing.. no the water does not "feel like water" to me vs. the sand "feeling like sand" lol
- Kinda same for the 3d sound; it's pretty cool.. you get a 3d sense every once in a while, but honestly when the audio isn't "sounding 3d" (like when you get that cool sensation with a good 7.1 system of being surrounded by sound) it sounds weird... like the quality is lowered

But the system is faaaast... booting media apps is fast, downloading is fast.. loading games is fast... THE IMPATIENT MANS DEVICE!

did you happen to pick up sackboy>?

reksveks

Digital Foundry:

“We may well be seeing a different level of scaling from AMD's console GPUs with RT enabled. After all, in the non-RT Gears 5, an RTX 2080 is said to be comparable to Series X, yet here in Watch Dogs: Legion with RT features active, an RTX 2060 Super seems to be more performant

Oh wow 😯

Are we shocked the nvidia rt is better than amd's ?

user1337

TDLR; In RT mode, XSX (and PS5 by settings equivalence) slightly less than 2060 super.

edit: looking at the comments above, someone has probably posted this video, but I can't see it cause I probably have them ignored.

Last edited:
There is no use thinking of TF in two different architectures. PS5 has modifications to improve the effectiveness of the caches and with this the CUs are able to remain less waiting, it also has a single CCX CPU that shares cache, it is the cause that 120 fps is more stable on PS5 even having less MHz.

Then you have deeper layers of the APIs and geometry engine that are technically superior to anything currently in control.

But the biggest problem is that 14/16 CU per array shaders and split memory don't work well without a lot of optimization work, but a lot of work. 10/8 CU by shaders array without split memory is easier to optimize, of course it can always be improved but of course there is less CU waiting from minute1. At the same hours of work, they yield more than 10 CU per array shaders, which is also the maximum configuration that AMD has put in both RDNA1 and RDNA2 GPUs.

What we are seeing is how some unified caches, some caches with correctors to improve the HIT and a powerful IO to improve VRAM management, you get to push above the 10.28 TFLOPs that we know together with a great job from Sony's ICE Team in the creation of APIs.

I think @BGs already said long ago that the SX would be a disappointment in that sense when you already have it at home. I think you deserve an apology p

I hope people have learned about this extra marketing stunt and are not getting carried away with it. MS knows perfectly well that 14 / 16CU per shader array would not be effective except for mathematical operations or minning and much less without a great control over caches.

I'm glad because I hope that the community learns from this, and I hope that MS also learns to stop doing that toxic marketing that they have been doing all this time. Since in the end it has been proven that their hardware decisions were based on marketing and not knowledge.

After 4000 pages of FUD and calling ourselves crazy who defended the architecture of PS5 we can finally sleep with our heads held high where our hardware knowledge and knowing that we have exposed all those who threw stones at us.
And you actually need little hardware knowledge to understand that PS5 and Series X are actually pretty close.
I know jack shit and I'm saying so since I'm here. It's just about not making a fuss over some dinamic resolution or some dips here and there.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
A thought I had in regards to the series S, Phil says it is going to be a slow burn but take off later in the generation, paraphrasing here of course. The thing is, the Series S doesnt exist in a vacuum. In a few years time the switch and ps4 will be super cheap (I assume) and the ps5 will receive price cuts as well. The cheaper the digital ps5 gets the value proposition's of the S becomes weaker and weaker. In my opinion.

IntentionalPun

One note:

The Playstation app seems really confused about Spiderman, and maybe is confused about cross-gen PS5 titles in general. I bought the Ultimate MM package that comes with SM remastered last night, and downloaded just SM remastered to play it first.. and if I look at the Playstation app on my phone, it only shows PS4 SM stuff.. and it acts like I downloaded PS4 SM, but I didn't, I double checked this morning.

So I'd be weary of downloading cross-gen titles by selecting them in the Playstation app FYI.

The above is particularly strange since there's no upgrade path for PS4 SM to PS5 Remastered SM, but the games appear to be linked in Sony's DB either way.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Not out in Europe, so he would have had to import it, just think they sent him one.
Oh yeah, good point. Weird it took so long for him though and not the other two guys from DF.

No, not possible to buy one in Germany yet...
But on Youtube I saw some "smaller" influencer from Germany getting the PS5 on the 11th, so he was probably in that list.
I need to become an influencer.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member

My rest mode has been fine (with an external PS4 hard drive connected as well). BUT, I have had two crashes now where something went wrong and I had to power off the PS5 with the power switch once...just now I had to unplug it. I started Demons Souls and had no audio in my headphone so I tried to quit the game while it was showing it's intro movie. Everything went black and no response for more than 5 minutes. After I unplugged it and plugged back in it came up and said my external drive had issues and needed to be repaired. Just like after my first black screen issue, after the repair is finished...black screen. Can't do anything. So I powered down with the switch on the front of the PS5 this time (it worked this time). Powered back up and all seems well!

Definitely some weirdness happening here. I think it's related to the external drive since that seems to be a common theme. If it happens again, I'll just disconnect the drive and do PS5 only games for a while till they update with a fix. I don't want the games and data on my external drive getting hosed either!

Andodalf

Banned
One note:

The Playstation app seems really confused about Spiderman, and maybe is confused about cross-gen PS5 titles in general. I bought the Ultimate MM package that comes with SM remastered last night, and downloaded just SM remastered to play it first.. and if I look at the Playstation app on my phone, it only shows PS4 SM stuff.. and it acts like I downloaded PS4 SM, but I didn't, I double checked this morning.

So I'd be weary of downloading cross-gen titles by selecting them in the Playstation app FYI.

The above is particularly strange since there's no upgrade path for PS4 SM to PS5 Remastered SM, but the games appear to be linked in Sony's DB either way.

On the home screen of my PS5, when I go to Spiderman Remastered, it shows me a smaller pic of Spiderman PS4 GOTY edition to the side for 40$? No idea what's going on there. It's the same place that Fortnite shows it's in game currency. Miles Morales has nothing in that space.

IntentionalPun

On the home screen of my PS5, when I go to Spiderman Remastered, it shows me a smaller pic of Spiderman PS4 GOTY edition to the side for 40$? No idea what's going on there. It's the same place that Fortnite shows it's in game currency. Miles Morales has nothing in that space.
Yeah in my "Purchased" section in the Playstation app, that's what shows up for regular Spiderman, the PS4 GOTY in my library...

And under Miles Morales.. it is only listing PS4 versions as in my library too..

I'd say it's just "whoops maybe someone typed PS4 instead of PS5" but it's not just that, there's also the fact it doesn't say "Remastered" at all under regular SM lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom