• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm in the same boat as onesvenus onesvenus with Astro and the DualSense.

It's a good controller but the haptics didn't wow me at all.

And Astro is... barely a game?

I enjoyed Astro because of the stroll down memory lane being a life long PS fan.

Sure I will get hate for this as well but the controller haptics/trigger is kind of a cool concept I guess but I have disabled it.

Playing games like Call of Duty when someone is trying to put a shell in my head I dont need my controller slowing me down any to "feel" cool.

FranXico

I enjoyed Astro because of the stroll down memory lane being a life long PS fan.

Sure I will get hate for this as well but the controller haptics/trigger is kind of a cool concept I guess but I have disabled it.

Playing games like Call of Duty when someone is trying to put a shell in my head I dont need my controller slowing me down any to "feel" cool.
How does the battery life fare when you turn the bells and whistles off?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I think most will disable it for multiplayer reasons. Now for the single player....... TURN IT ON MAX!

travisktl

Yeah. The haptics and adaptive triggers are perfect for single player games, and feeling more immersed in certain aspects. I can see them causing issues in fast paced twitch type shooters like multiplayer in Call of Duty.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Yeah I think it's really cool tech from just a... mechanical standpoint.. and am super curious how it pans out over time for SP game experiences.

But I'm not 100% convinced it's going to do a lot for me.. we'll see.. certainly don't fault Sony for trying. At worst it's still better than other versions of rumble and attempts to make triggers more tactile.

Yoboman

Did you try the haptics on lower settings?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
How does the battery life fare when you turn the bells and whistles off?

Without having put a real timer on it I used it 4 days in a row before it totally died around 3 or 4 hours each day so I bet I got a good 12 hours out of it without charging.

Did you try the haptics on lower settings?

I did not but I may try that especially in single player games.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

4n1yor.jpg

Yoboman

First impressions of the PS5:
- Astro's playground feels like a really bad platformer. I understand it's free but it did nothing for me
- Haptics were so overrated that made my head hurt. If Astro's playground was the prime example of it, those are not really revolutionary. Yes, you can feel different surfaces because the vibration pattern is different but nothing else.
- Triggers are indeed a revolution. Really love the resistance and hope 3rd parties really embrace them
- Installation times are horrible. I installed both Miles Morales and Demon's Souls and it took more than 10 minutes each one. I thought that was a thing of the past but it doesn't seem so.
- Miles Morales seems to be amazing
- Demon's Souls really feels like an old game with a new coat of paint. It looks great, although I expected more

All in all, I think people were really overhyping everything. My friends and me got together last week to try AC:Vallhalla on the XSX and were more impressed. I suppose already having seen games in 4k a week ago really spoiled the next gen jump for us.
It's by no means the huge difference some posters here were saying regarding the XSX.

Don't take me wrong, those two games are great launch titles but reading some posts here it seems like it should feel like a different generation than the XSX
The cope is real

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah. The haptics and adaptive triggers are perfect for single player games, and feeling more immersed in certain aspects. I can see them causing issues in fast paced twitch type shooters like multiplayer in Call of Duty.
I don't know... from what I watched you can know where the enemy is coming from the the controller so it helps to accurate play if you get used to it.
If a enemy is trying to shot you from your back right... due the Dual Sense you will have the reaction to look at your back right.

Last edited:

Dunkelgrau

So I've tried to restore a PS4-backup from an external hard drive on my PS5. On this hard drive are a lot very big *.dat-Files stored in those folders: I:\PS4\EXPORT\BACKUP\20X0X623X246_XX. Unfortunately my PS5 tells me, that there are not backup-files on this drive.

Any suggestions?

Unfortunately we'll have to wait to see if SeX's problems are sort out and it can start showing it's TF advantage.
RDNA2 launched on PC and you can see how a smaller GPU with higher clocks can really dominate a bigger GPU with lower clocks. On 1080p and 1440p the RX6000 cards are monsters! But when you switch the resolution to 4K all those extra ALUs and bandwidth on Ampere are put to use. So I expect that at lower resolutions and high framerates the PS5 will be equal if not better in specific situations, but the SeX will naturally sustain higher resolutions at lower framerates.

ethomaz

Banned
So I've tried to restore a PS4-backup from an external hard drive on my PS5. On this hard drive are a lot very big *.dat-Files stored in those folders: I:\PS4\EXPORT\BACKUP\20X0X623X246_XX. Unfortunately my PS5 tells me, that there are not backup-files on this drive.

Any suggestions?
I don't believe you can restore PS4 backup from PS5.
You need a PS5 backup.

Or PS4 installed games or saves on external HDD... not backup.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
And the downplaying begins.

It's universally agreed the DualSense is a revolutionary controller. A true next generation experience. That's been said and known since first impressions hit. PS5 launch solidified that with owners being more impressed than they thought.

So i don't know where all of a sudden this downplaying is coming from. Reality doesn't match your opinions.

IntentionalPun

It's universally agreed the DualSense is a revolutionary controller. A true next generation experience. That's been said and known since first impressions hit. PS5 launch solidified that with owners being more impressed than they thought.

So i don't know where all of a sudden this downplaying is coming from. Reality doesn't match your opinions.
Not everyone has the same opinion of everything... don't hurt your brain figuring that out.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I am not downplaying the controller as it truly is magical at times and is next gen.

Its just not something I use while playing twitch based shooters as I feel it tends to slow me down a tiny bit when pulling the trigger.

Its pretty cool in NBA 2k21 though

ethomaz

Banned
I thought that was the only way to backup my save files without PS+? What else should I have done?
You have to go on the save you want to transfer and choose to save it on external device on PS4.
After you do the same on PS5 choosing to read from external device.

If you want to do that with a lot of save you need to go in the storage management and choose all the saves you want to export.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

We all knew you wouldn't enjoy much about the PS5 anyways.

When you're more negative than slimy snake, maybe time for some self reflection.

Its a console + controller + games. It can't suck your cock and make you breakfast. Reasonable expectations.
I am having a blast with my PS5 and love it.

You guys just can't seem to handle anyone who doesn't hype every little thing. Why in the world would I need to "self reflect"? lol.. I'm just giving my honest opinion.. I've not been remotely negative about the PS5 as a whole, so perhaps you should self reflect on that. I've also called the DualSense the best controller Sony has ever produced... soooo...

Last edited:

Mr Moose

My thoughts on the PS5 so far:
It's quiet (can hear the disc spinning though)
It's big, but looks cool and funky
Triggers on the controller at max are pretty strong, I set mine to medium while playing Astro thing
Doesn't feel like sand on the beach part, does feel like metal though when walking over metal surfaces to me, the sound on the controller is good and helps with the "feel" of walking over stuff
Nice weight to the controller
Spider-Man Miles Morales is very nice looking though I haven't paid much attention to the RT yet
Gonna play some more Spider-Man later :messenger_smiling_hearts:

devilNprada

Some owners... I also thought it was over hyped.. True, the vibrations are much smoother than the Dualshock 4 which violently scared the shit out me sometimes, but it's a vibrating controller.

Astro's Playroom I thought it was the sound out of the speaker, more so than any vibration change on the flooring.
Playing AC on it I simply get a couple small vibrations, so my guess is third parties won't use it much.

I really like the weight and feel though...

Dunkelgrau

You have to go on the save you want to transfer and choose to save it on external device on PS4.
After you do the same on PS5 choosing to read from external device.

If you want to do that with a lot of save you need to go in the storage management and choose all the saves you want to export.
Than I'm screwed, because I sold my PS4 months ago, haha.

Is there a way to extract my saves from the *.dat-files?

onesvenus

1) You are basically the first person who I read who say than Astros is bad platformer, is not Mario Odyssey but is not bad
2)Again the same
3)Agree
4)If you are reading from disc, well welcome to a limits of read of a Blu-ray if you bough digital well is what your download speed can do.
5)Is a good game
5)You expecting more than the devs tell you to expect is your fault no one else's

And you were more impressive for AC in XSX than Demons Souls in PS5, damm at least you tell me was ultra in PC 4k I could more or less
agree, you talk about overhyping but basically you minimize all, but well, each one lies to himself as he wants.

How weird you have discussions throwing shit to one side which now is not so impressive even when normals users and journalist think
different than you.
giphy.gif
1) i read in this very forum that Astro's playground was a game worth buying and something that everyone should play. In my opinion, you can only say that if you haven't played many platformers. All the nostalgia is great but nothing else. I found it quite mediocre in fact, but that's my opinion, anybody has to agree to it.

AC:Vallhalla was my first experience in 4K (no PS4 Pro neither XOX), the details on the textures looked amazing. As I said, I'm not comparing both games, I say that the impact it had on us, being the first game we saw in 4K, was much bigger.

People are not over hyping the console, they are excited about a new generation, and that's understandable. Lots of potential there.
Well, reading this forum and even some of the post answering my post (not yours, to clarify), it seems like PS5 is soooo much better than the XSX. I only say that the impact AC:Vallhalla had to us, being the first game we played in 4K, was bigger.

If AC Valhalla appeared more impressive on serie X (and it runs even worse) than the exclusives mentioned on ps5, there is something wrong on you, with all respect. Anyway you seem the only person in the world who downplayed the haptic feedback. Makes think a bit about the whole purpose of the post.
You people not being able to accept what I think about the PS5 makes you more of a fanboy than me. I never claimed it was better than the XSX, I'm only saying that it didn't cause the same impact it had on me, nothing else.

I am not downplaying the controller as it truly is magical at times and is next gen.

Its just not something I use while playing twitch based shooters as I feel it tends to slow me down a tiny bit when pulling the trigger.

Its pretty cool in NBA 2k21 though
Using controllers is gimping control if you're talking First Person Shooters. You should use keyboard and mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom