• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco_

I believe that what matters is the audience of a particular show/event, is the audience is big enough they could reveal ps5. AFAIK is one of the biggest technology shows of the year
Would fall inline with the Wired article reveals. Not really a gaming magazine but a tech one with a much wider audience.

onQ123

The future is coming

At CES 2020 Sony is unveiling a unique vision of the future, bringing creativity and technology together like never before, to unleash new sensations and emotions.

Oh fuck. This sounds like the PS5.

360 Audio . VR TV , 180/360 video or something like that

Well they already have the 180/360 camera but they are probably taking it to a new level

Norse

Maybe frameless TV panels that can be used to create huge displays by connecting multiple panels. Think Samsung or LG showed them last yr. Use micro led tech. Could buy 40" panels and connect them to create massive sized theatre walls at home 😁

R600

Banned
And this means....?
It means Oberon contains Ariel refs.

Ariel GPU PCI ID - 13e9 (this is stepping from Jan)

Gonzalo first stepping ( ES2) January

2G16002CE8JA2_32/10/10_13E9

(10 - 1.0GHZ / 13E9 - Ariel)

Gonzalo second stepping April

ZG16702AE8JB2_32/10/18_13F8

(18 - 1.8GHZ / 13F8 - 2nd stepping Ariel)

Flute Benchmark (July - now deleted)

(Notice codename and PCI code and clocks 1.8GHZ 13F9)

Oberon August (check the clocks)

So, Gonzalo, Flute and Oberon are all connected. They share same Arial refs, but each stepping got frequency update and PCI id update. All of them are characters from Shakespeare writings.

My opinion :

Gonzalo 1 and 2 where dev kit chips.

Nr1 one had 1GHZ clocks (remember Cery saying to Wired they had slow kits out at that time)

Nr2 had 1.8GHZ clocks (and that stepping went out in April).

Flute is AMD platform (PS5) codename.

Oberon is codename for final retail chip (2.0GHZ). Currently A0 stepping, therefore final one would be expected by March.

Thats my theory. Thats why Apisak FS score of ~10K for 1.0GHZ Gonzalo 1, and ~20K for 1.8GHZ Gonzalo 2 make sense. I guess score for Oberon would be ~21.5K judging by clocks.

Reason why I came up to 40CUs is simply because 8 core 2700 (similar to one that we will find in consoles) at 3.8GHZ + 5700XT at 2.0GHZ score around 22K.

That fits to console of around 10TF. What demigod and other illiterate fanboys say I dont care, I am trying to put pieces of puzzle we have here and wont get into pety shit with people whos 99% of posts here read like they have been posted on GameFAQ

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
343 dev chimes in about Lockhart.

UAsfHOh.png

QkOTVQh.png

TSgkiIV.png

rtiwCBq.png

FranXico

Lockhart is clear that it exists and Jason is slowly getting everything right. It will be curious if MS launches 2 consoles both less powerful than PS5.
My guess is XSX is slightly more powerful than the PS5, although the difference is being overstated in forums at the moment. So, Sony will end up with a mid-tier console that is pretty close to the most powerful. If they price it right, it could have the best power to cost ratio.
But then again, they are not being funded by a monopoly. Time will tell.

R600

Banned
R R600 needs your apologies.
Still early my friend. I mean, if I am wrong its all good, but I do think Oberon is 316mm² chip with 36-40CUs clocked 2.0GHZ.

They have to go for 399$ to make biggest and fastest transition to PS5, and leaks from AMD data miners have been extremely consistent so I like my chances.

xPikYx

For me the equation is pretty simple, next gen consoles are RDNA2 (hw ray tracing support), so whatever the top tier pc gpu will be, consoles will perform the 70% of that (ps4 HD7870 vs HD7970)

But then again, they are not being funded by a monopoly. Time will tell.

Did we time-jump back to 1998? That's about the last time MS was an actual monopoly, even the Supreme Court had to cut in on their BS. But now? There isn't any particular area they dominate other than desktop PC OS and (arguably) server market (I think Google has a bigger share there, though). Everything else there's a bigger player, be it Apple and Samsung (smartphones), Sony (console gaming), etc.

MS's just been (mostly) smart to diversify its portfolio and do relatively well in most of those new market segments they joined. "Mostly" because there's some obvious spots they missed that allowed competitors to cement their place (social media being a huge one; tablets another but I hear the Surface tablets are pretty good, etc.).

About the specs and stuff...tbh I still don't like the idea of Lockhart, but there's a 50/50 chance they have a power edge over PS5. Most insiders have been giving that to PS5 but at the same time a lot of those guys may or may not be very credible after all. Any power increase it has over PS5 (if that happens) will be in reaction to PS5 specs, and the ceiling to where they can push that depends on how the system's already designed at its core. But just like in the PS5 > XSEX scenario, the difference overall won't be any more than 10% (I'd argue even less than that), though that's with overall specs in mind not just TFLOPs.

It's the pricing that's going to be most interesting and MS has a harder task on their hands in that regard than Sony because of this dual system approach they're so eager to push through with.

It’s gonna be a long month and half before Sony talks lol
With all these numbers who knows what is what anymore . What is Oberon and what is OberonA0 ? Why they r two entities now ?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Still early my friend. I mean, if I am wrong its all good, but I do think Oberon is 316mm² chip with 36-40CUs clocked 2.0GHZ.

They have to go for 399$ to make biggest and fastest transition to PS5, and leaks from AMD data miners have been extremely consistent so I like my chances.

It would make zero sense for Sony to release a 9 TF console, while MS drops a 12 TF console in the same month. That $100 difference (in a lower price) wouldn't be worth it. And no way RT and 4K would work in 9 TF console.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom