• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLZ

Banned
One is a Sony fan who is well connected, the other works at Activision.

You're saying that you have sources that you don't trust?

If the sources have been reliable in the past, what's wrong with trusting them?

Why do people trust Klee when didn't even have a track record of getting specs right?
Just wondering about the era people you're basing your info on, if they're reliable or not. But again, that's still old news right.

R600

Banned
And why would you trust them?

Also, prior to V-shaped, should be old news no?
We have several reports from 2018 on Sony delivering dev kits already. If you want fastest transition ever, as Ryan said, you need to have software ready and compeling price.

Dev kits in 2018 had to be GCN, there was no Navi in sight at that time so what you provide is best you can to match finale hardware. That would be ~13TF GCN...

Not saying that happened, but remember, no way they had 13TF Navi in 2018. They had 1.0GHZ Navi in Jan 2019....

bitbydeath

We have several reports from 2018 on Sony delivering dev kits already. If you want fastest transition ever, as Ryan said, you need to have software ready and compeling price.

Dev kits in 2018 had to be GCN, there was no Navi in sight at that time so what you provide is best you can to match finale hardware. That would be ~13TF GCN...

Not saying that happened, but remember, no way they had 13TF Navi in 2018. They had 1.0GHZ Navi in Jan 2019....

Seems unlikely that Sony had devkits ready in 2018 and MS only got them out in the last few months.

TLZ

Banned

But like you said, that's 2018, and plenty of testing and changing since then would have happened, and still happening. All I'm positive of at this moment, is that both are keeping their cards as close to their chest as possible. Both waiting for that one chance (slip up?) to one up the other. And at the end of the day, I, the consumer, win. Both powerful machines to enjoy games on.

R600

Banned
Seems unlikely that Sony had devkits ready in 2018 and MS only got them out in the last few months.
Not true. PS5 really could have been aimed at 2019 and didnt pan out (BC, Navi delay). We know AMD started to design Navi for Sony 1st, so there is a hypotesis there
April 2018

Last edited:

Lendor

Not true. PS5 really could have been aimed at 2019 and didnt pan out (BC, Navi delay). We know AMD started to design Navi for Sony 1st, so there is a hypotesis there
April 2018

Yep, the CEO even gave an interview about the delay because wanting to make PS5 the dream or some shit, probably beacuse of the BC, and the rumors are that its still not 100%

bitbydeath

April 2018

What’s not true?
AMD had confirmed working with Sony on ‘secret sauce.’ If that’s what you were referring.

onQ123

LKJrQC.jpg

I still think anything can happen tbh. But to me the 2 SKU Xbox approach makes the most sense if they land either side of PS5.

Also I think with one console, 399 is the best strategy for Sony. They have the bulk of the market share and will want to keep as many as possible. Sure, some would buy the better Xbox instead but I don’t think they will lose too many customers.

Who the fuck knows!

MadAnon

So Oberon is actually a GPU part codename not the APU!? Then what those ariel_ref lines posted by Komachi ment if there is Oberon A0 and Ariel B0? Or both are APU codenames with Ariel being the next revision?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

So Oberon is actually a GPU part codename not the APU!? Then what those ariel_ref lines posted by Komachi ment if there is Oberon A0 and Ariel B0? Or both are APU codenames with Ariel being the next revision?

Yeah, it doesn’t make sense for both Oberon and Ariel to both be GPU’s. Are people really expecting dual GPU’s in the PS5?

R600

Banned
So Oberon is actually a GPU part codename not the APU!? Then what those ariel_ref lines posted by Komachi ment if there is Oberon A0 and Ariel B0?
No, I think it means Oberon and Ariel refs match. As in, they are same chip.

Ctrl + F - ariel

You will find that PCI id (GPU) part is 13E9. Which matches Gonzalo GPU id (which also matches to Flute and Oberon).

You wil also find 20+ other parts of Ariel here. (CPU as well)

Last edited:

onQ123

Is that even possible?

I'm pretty sure I read a patent on something like this that gave me the idea.

The Work group Processors in RDNA 1.0 have 2 Compute units but RDNA 2 might have 2 Compute units but a 3rd fixed function processor

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom