• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't like it to buy it, it's that simple. But at the same time don't be mad a company that it's successful with that they're doing.

Also bare in mind that GP=/=xCloud, where sure, the data caps in US is a real barrier for that market, and the lacking communication infrastructure also won't allow the tech to spread its wings in a couple of years at least, and that's mostly a reason what xCloud is not a standalone service, but rather an extension to GP.
GP is not what's supposed to reach 3 Bln people, it's the streaming (Xcloud) that is.

Btw, why would I be mad at the company? Where did you get that notion? I'm just not cheerleading for them unlike other people do :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm wondering the same about measuring the amount of consoles being sold. Does it matter to us gamers, if a console sells 50M or 100M?
Well, to be fair that matters a lot more. If your console has 2/3 of the market share it's much more likely to be the principal development platform, which means games should be made to better use its hardware than the console sitting at 1/3 or less market share.
Also more likely to get exclusive deals which, yet again, normally mean the development time is faster (not optimizing for other hardware) and games are made to take advantage of that platform's main strengths.

So yeah, I can see why that side of console wars does matter to a lot of people.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Because that's what I pay for my PC gamepass subscription (€4 actually, so even less, so yes they do it lol you should check the prices) and I wouldn't probably pay more than €6 or maybe €7 for it per month, it's not worth it in my opinion. You've got tons of great games for free or nearly free on PC... A lot of PC gamers wouldn't pay $10 / month for gamepass, I certainly wouldn't. For $120 per year on PC, you can basically play most of the games you want, especially if you don't buy them day 1.

At least, I don't think a $15 per month subscription is sustainable at all. It's $180 / year, with that price people will just buy the 2 or 3 best $60 games of the year instead, you can even easily get 5 or 6 of them if you wait for them a bit. And you can choose the best games or at least those you want. And play them when you want.
That was in beta, they raised the price to $10 a few months ago, it was never intended to be that price once it reached general availability:

I do agree that lots of people will decide not to pay; but that's why you also sell every game separately. The biggest concern Gamepass should have is whether that many people want to use a service like it.

But we are talking about sustainability here... the reason it's possibly sustainable is:

1) They control the price
2) They control the 3rd party deals
3) They still release games elsewhere
4) They are a platform holder, so attracting anyone to their platform is a win as there are other things to sell outside the sub itself

The XSX|S had more games available to play than the X1 did day one. X1 had no back compatibility nor Game pass. Sony only fans are the ones who harp on the Xbox not having tons of 1st party, 3rd person, story driven, single player games.

You know what the X1 did have? Games designed for the system, from day one. What killed X1 wasn't TV TV TV. It was the stupid decisions around DRM with used games (which was the reason I left the platform personally), + the $100 forced bundled accessory. Yes, I know MS backtracked on the DRM decision, but the damage was done. I couldn't get past the greed.

There is no incentive to purchase the XSX day one, that's the point. Maybe not for the next year or two. Phil screwed the pooch with the launch. I'd like to say it'll show in the numbers, but as you know, those will be buried. A % increase in some other unknown metric will be all we get.

It's been said before in the thread, and I agree with it, I hope Xbox survives and MS doesn't leave the console business. I'm not a fan of two faced Phil, but I'm also not a fan of arrogant Sony. Competition is good. But Xbox didn't provide any last gen, and it looks like a similar story this gen.

Last edited:
Now that is interesting? I haven't really been huge on GPU tech in a while, but is it odd that they have an instruction set implemented?

Every GPU (and CPU) in the history of microprocessors has an instruction set architecture. This is not a new thing.

Is this what MS was waiting for? A low level instruction set language?

I don't recall seeing this on other GPU's, at least not the same extent? I'm not sure how to process this document lol.

This is not the secret sauce you're looking for. You need to wait for the TOOLS™

People thought the PS5's GPU was overclocked at 2.23GHz... the reference Radeon 6900XT is going up to 2.7GHz on air!

Funny how MS beats their chest over being "Full RDNA 2" and yet XSX/XSS are the only RDNA 2 products running at such conservative clock speeds.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
DVOSpb6.jpg

Same for Bugthesda, but they actively work on patches in place of the company themselves. :pie_roffles:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
People thought the PS5's GPU was overclocked at 2.23GHz... the reference Radeon 6900XT is going up to 2.7GHz on air!
thats crazy since it's an 80 CU GPU.

I have no idea how they managed to improve the perf per watt gains so much without major architecture changes from RDNA 1 to RDNA 2, and without going down to 7nm+. Like what is the difference in the silicon thats giving them 50-60% more clocks for the same wattage? Especially with the extra onchip memory thats 6 billion transistors on its own. I am very curious. Maybe rdna 1.0 cards were half baked?

PS5 is only 205w in spiderman which makes sense if you look at this simulating gonzalo graph from gaffer Demon Cleaner, and apply the RDNA 2.0 perf per watt gains.

resultsshjg4.png

2.23 ghz GPU on RDNA 1.0 wouldve been around 240w cut down to 160w on RDNA 2.0. Add in 20w for the zen 2 cpu and another 20-30w for ram, ssd and other components and you are looking at a 200-220w console which lines up with the spiderman 205w max DF recorded.

I suspect we will go up to 220w when games that actually utilize the CPU beyond just a 60 fps mode since spiderman seems to have a higher power consumption in its 60 fps mode.

Regardless, that charts proves that you simply cannot have those high clocks unless the GPU was RDNA 2.0. All this nonsense about the PS5 being RDNA 1.0 should've been put to rest the moment we saw those clocks.

travisktl

Not sure if this was posted, but it's part of the polls on the PS Blog. Every other game on the list is a confirmed game for PS4/PS5, so I'm guessing this could be confirmation of the new Elder Scrolls coming to PS5? I figured it would be, but there has been a lot of speculation since the Bethesda & Xbox stuff.

864159-A7-BA71-4504-8-CB2-87-D862-AED1-B9.jpg

Last edited:

inflation

Not sure if this was posted, but it's part of the polls on the PS Blog. Every other game on the list is a confirmed game for PS4/PS5, so I'm guessing this could be confirmation of the new Elder Scrolls coming to PS5? I figured it would be, but there has been a lot of speculation since the Bethesda & Xbox stuff.

Playstation Blog made mistakes, and it's not a news. So this confirmed nothing.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

lol. They are either trolling or they know something we dont. MS has been very cagey about Elder Scrolls, and I do not know why. The game will sell millions on PC and Xbox. They have a different answer every time they are asked about this which is weird seeing as how they should be beating their chests over a $7 billion game being exclusive to their consoles.

They will probably lose out on 2-3 million sales on the PS5. That's $180 million maybe $300 million max. But they can get some of it back on PC where lets face it, hardcore gamers will find a way to play it. It may even sell some xbox consoles.

I dont care for timed exclusives but I like how sony is straight up telling us how many months or years their games are exclusive to console in their latest trailer. FF16 is 24 months. Death Loop is 12 months. It's all their in the small print in the trailers for some reason. MS should come out and say the same thing. Though for their sake, i hope its a console exclusive for life to ensure people are actually tempted to buy an xbox.

But that's the problem. If all they have is good back compat, why buy an Xbox S|X now? It's honestly the worst console launch games wise, maybe ever. If it's all about the games, why didn't they have more than Halo planned for launch? And why didn't they do a better job of managing its development.

It's all about the subscriptions. Games be damned.
The XSX|S had more games available to play than the X1 did day one. X1 had no back compatibility nor Game pass. Sony fans are the ones who harp on the Xbox not having tons of 1 party 3rd person single player games. A thing MS never really made. Several new games have launched on Game pass over the month the system has been out. Games like war zone run better on the XSX than PS5 so that back compatibility is clearly something worth having just ask Sony seeing how they at least have an attempt at bringing it back to their consoles.

I will say that yes they need to manage game releases better internally but delaying
You know what the X1 did have? Games designed for the system, from day one. What killed X1 wasn't TV TV TV. It was the stupid decisions around DRM with used games (which was the reason I left the platform personally), + the $100 forced bundled accessory. Yes, I know MS backtracked on the DRM decision, but the damage was done. I couldn't get past the greed.

There is no incentive to purchase the XSX day one, that's the point. Maybe not for the next year or two. Phil screwed the pooch with the launch. I'd like to say it'll show in the numbers, but as you know, those will be buried. A % increase in some other unknown metric will be all we get.

It's been said before in the thread, and I agree with it, I hope Xbox survives and MS doesn't leave the console business. I'm not a fan of two faced Phil, but I'm also not a fan of arrogant Sony. Competition is good. But Xbox didn't provide any last gen, and it looks like a similar story this gen.
There are plenty of games that have been updated to take advantage of what the XSX can do. How much does MS charge players for those updates? Anywhere close to what the Spiderman update cost PlayStation players? What games launched on the PS5 that couldn't be possible with out its hardware power? Aside from some graphical effects NOTHING couldn't be done as evidence of the many cross gen titles. Something Sony only fans attacked Xbox for. Only Sony believes in generations? And Phil is the liar? :messenger_tears_of_joy: That's what he gets for being honest about blending generational lines. You have no idea what will be coming to the Xbox in the next year but I'll bet good money it's more than just HI.

I agree bundled Kinect was a mistake and guess what? It's gone! The heavy DRM stuff as you noted never happened you just chose to be upset at the prospect over it actually happening. MS has already said it isn't mandatory that you buy either of their next gen boxes day one. They don't sell just console games so they have more flexibility. I too don't want any of the console platform holders to exit and that's why I support them all. I know enough about them to see both the pros and cons of every platform. I am still so shocked that people who don't own an Xbox and don't know about its features have the most negative things to say. I guess it makes perfect sense.

Bergoglio

Not even Jim Rayan knows what to do, let alone PS blog

thats crazy since it's an 80 CU GPU.

I have no idea how they managed to improve the perf per watt gains so much without major architecture changes from RDNA 1 to RDNA 2, and without going down to 7nm+. Like what is the difference in the silicon thats giving them 50-60% more clocks for the same wattage? Especially with the extra onchip memory thats 6 billion transistors on its own. I am very curious. Maybe rdna 1.0 cards were half baked?

I believe the process is not the same, it's a different process more aimed for better clocks, but I may be wrong. Even so now the same process is more mature, they use different "libraries", the transistors were tweaked to use less power, allow better clocks.
There's a number of ways how you can make a "same" chip.
All this works takes time but now AMD have more people to do this work.

That is actually real... not insanity lol
The actual modules in Series's X GPU are based in these RDNA versions.

The people started to deny Yoko only after he posted that... because well it doesn't fit the agenda.
He never posted wrong info about the AMD GPUs.

Oh noes, another rare dolphin died!

ethomaz

Banned
Oh noes, another rare dolphin died!
Or maybe he is live and you have no ideia what are you talking about lol

Show me one time Yuko was wrong about the AMD data?

The CUs in Series X's GPU doesn't have the changes AMD made in RDNA 2's CUs.
That is basically why the CUs can's reach the same clocks as RDNA 2's CU.

The Series X's GPU is still fully RDNA 2 compatible... it is just parts of it architecture doesn't have the RDNA 2 changes.... Front-End and CUs are the same found in RDNA GPUs.

Last edited:
That is actually real... not insanity lol
The actual modules in Series's X GPU are based in these RDNA versions.

The people started to deny Yoko only after he posted that... because well it doesn't fit the agenda.
He never posted wrong info about the AMD GPUs.
Anyone at MS confirm this? Jason Ronald would be one I would believe. Phil Spencer works too.

ethomaz

Banned
Anyone at MS confirm this? Jason Ronald would be one I would believe. Phil Spencer works too.
Sure... you can ask them.

AMD data is enough to me.

PS. I hoped he should release PS5 GPU info first because after he posted the Series X GPU info he received too many backslash... so he won't post more console stuff... only AMD GPU info... I even asked him about PS5 info but he said he won't post anymore... another case of hater fans making sure we won't get nice things.

Last edited:

Rudius

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the tentative release window that Sony gave for GT7 changed in one of their recent ads.

Instead of it coming in the first half of next year, it's simply "in development for PlayStation".

Neua3Z7.png

PD and delaying GT, name a better duo
I just want GT7 to have full VR suport. I played GT Sport on the TV just to have the cars to drive in VR.

IntentionalPun

Show me one time Yuko was wrong about the AMD data?

I don't think that's how that works for most people.

"Show me one time this obscure twitter account was wrong"

But.. scroll their feed... within like 2 seconds I found twice where they got stuff wrong and corrected themselves later lol

ethomaz

Banned
I don't think that's how that works for most people.

"Show me one time this obscure twitter account was wrong"

But.. scroll their feed... within like 2 seconds I found twice where they got stuff wrong and corrected themselves later lol
You mean...

RX 6800 XL → RX 6800

He was using RX 6800 XL but he corrected on the next day as being RX 6800.
The commercial name are always about to change before release.

BTW he posted about Van Gog too.

And few minutes after he posted another twitter saying the info was updated to 18W.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Is there a statement from AMD or ANYONE at MS confirming RDNA 1 components in XSX|S?
No.

It is not RDNA 1 components lol
It is that the CUs and Front-End are using the same architecture level as RDNA.... there is no chance if you compare the Series X's CU and a RX 5700's CU... same for the front-end.
These CUs and Fron-end doesn't have the chances that AMD made for RDNA 2 chips.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

You mean...

RX 6800 XL → RX 6800

Right, meaning he (or she, the name Yuko is female) got the name wrong.

Scroll down a little farther, and he listed products that don't exist and then corrected himself 2 weeks later.

Look, this person appears to be getting leaks from someone at AMD... but their leaks are also clearly not full-proof, and you have no clue who they are getting the info from and what information they are actually privy too. Leakers often get a lot right, and some wrong, because it's common for the source to not have full access to information they are leaking.

This same person makes it clear they are just guessing sometimes; so while it's an interesting source.. claiming it's as good as "data from AMD" is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned

A few different scenarios here:

1: Sony blogger is just clueless

2: Sony is aware the ES6 IS coming to ps5 and is just testing hype.

3: Sony is aware that ES6 ISNT coming to ps5 and is purposefully saying that is, so when its announced that its xbox/pc only their fans cause an online uproar and MS look like the bad guys.

4: Sony made a deal with bethesda recently to have marketing rights for ES6. Zenimax execs get an extra 10s of millions on the way out and MS doesnt have a say in it yet.

No.

It is not RDNA 1 components lol
It is that the CUs and Front-End are using the same architecture level as RDNA.... there is no chance if you compare the Series X's CU and a RX 5700's CU... same for the front-end.
These CUs and Fron-end doesn't have the chances that AMD made for RDNA 2 chips.
So some unconfirmed guy on twitter makes a claim about RDNA 1 on XSX|S and we take it? Did he make an comment about the PS5? Should I assume its RDNA 3 or 4?

ethomaz

Banned
nope, he is full of it and dolphin meat.
AMD is full of shit too lol
These are the changes made in RDNA 2 CUs.
That is why RDNA 2's CU clocks are that higher than RDNA's CU clocks.

RX6800_08_575px.jpg

RX6800_10_575px.jpg

So some unconfirmed guy on twitter makes a claim about RDNA 1 on XSX|S and we take it? Did he make an comment about the PS5? Should I assume its RDNA 3 or 4?
He is the most famous AMD leaker on twitter lol
You can not believe him but doesn't make others not believe in somebody that keeps giving right info.

He did not made more console posts after that about Xbox... it was planned to share both info but you know how some extreme fan on twitter can be with info that doesn't fit their agenda.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Right, meaning he (or she, the name Yuko is female) got the name wrong.

Scroll down a little farther, and he listed products that don't exist and then corrected himself 2 weeks later.

Look, this person appears to be getting leaks from someone at AMD... but their leaks are also clearly not full-proof, and you have no clue who they are getting the info from and what information they are actually privy too. Leakers often get a lot right, and some wrong, because it's common for the source to not have full access to information they are leaking.

This same person makes it clear they are just guessing sometimes; so while it's an interesting source.. claiming it's as good as "data from AMD" is ridiculous.
Somebody asked why the clocks are lower than RDNA 2 clocks.
The answer is that one.
It doesn't have the RDNA 2 changes at CU level.

There is the most famous AMD leaker saying it.
There is a AMD slide with CUs changes in RDNA 2 that doesn't exists in Series X's CUs.

But you can keep saying it is just wrong info.

Next step can be compare X-ray CU shots from Series X, RX 5700 and RX 6800.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Somebody asked why the clocks are lower than RDNA 2 clocks.
The answer is that one.
It doesn't have the RDNA 2 chances at CU level.

There is the most famous AMD leaker saying it.
There is a AMD slide with CUs changes in RDNA 2 that doesn't exists in Series X's CUs.

But you can keep saying it is just wrong info.
I've read the theory about clock gating, etc. 100 times here. It's a good one. And Yuko is a good leaker.

It's still just a theory. I didn't say anything was wrong info; I said these aren't known facts.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Someone sacrifice a PS5 for the die shot.
tenor.gif

Alright, so I'm not sure how it works but someone must know.
The problem is not to sacrifice a PS5... that is easy if you have the money for it.

You need to have a x-ray machine to take the x-ray shot from the chip if not you will get a shot like the one we saw until now.

PS5 die shot.

images

Series X|S X-ray die shot.

Die_Shot_Comp.jpg

RDNA X-ray die shot
800px-AMD%407nm%40RDNA_1th_gen%40Navi14%40Radeon_RX_5500_XT%40215-0932396%40_DSCx5_poly%40macro.jpg

Polaris 10 X-ray die shot.
oWxnfSterz-tYGJ0ysRdlTcyeD3xTJeq79hWErS0HNM.jpg

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned
Lmao english translation?
"For years, there were worries about Nvidia cards in forums that the GDDR Ram got up to 110C ° at FE and some partner cards and you never heard anything in the B3D and Resetera experts said that the GDDR Ram is designed for over 100C ° and the PS5 also has the GDDR6 Ram which has been available for years now, hardly believe that Sony does not know how hot their Ram can get. Even the currently fastest GDDR6X Ram on the 3080/90 cards only throttles at 100 + C °"

bitbydeath

Tell that to UbiSoft and EA then I guess?

There's no evidence that AAA games aren't sustainable being released on a subscription service day one. That's just a statement random gamers make daily about Gamepass with nothing to back it up.

Ubisoft and EA aren’t really AAA devs, they regurgitate the same crap on the same shitty engines with minor enhancements at nauseam. Ubisoft hasn’t taken a financial risk on a game since the very first Assassins Creed cane out on PS3 who knows what the last big AAA new IP EA had created.

IntentionalPun

Ubisoft and EA aren’t really AAA devs, they regurgitate the same crap on the same shitty engines with minor enhancements at nauseam. Ubisoft hasn’t taken a financial risk on a game since the very first Assassins Creed cane out on PS3 who knows what the last big AAA new IP EA had created.
A patently ridiculous statement.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I think Ubisoft took a sizable risk with Rainbow Six Siege. That was a pretty new concept for a game in 2015.

It didn't launch well, probably lost them money, but Ubi stuck with it and spent the time & money to make it better over 5 years, and will keep doing that for 5 more years. Its a fun PC/console game and even a fairly popular esport I think.

Also EA did finally make 1 good game with Jedi Fallen Order.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom