• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinthor

Gold Member
For anyone's that interested, 343i goes into detail on what they've been working on so far.

Craig may get a beard :)
I don't know. Reading that makes me a little sad. It's a very good article and it's clear that team is desperately trying to turn things around and reassure people that they will do a good job. I don't know if it was just the time range they had to work with or if the project is too ambitious, but they got EATEN ALIVE after the July reveal. It must be truly demoralizing to have something you are working on and putting so much effort into, completely shit on by the public. Worse even, if you know that feedback is warranted because of some reason like it's the best that can technically be done, or done in a given time frame, etc. I just feel bad for the developers man.

I have to say though, if those screen shots of the different characters and armor are the actual character models they'll be using, then this thing is DEFINTELY going to have a huge graphics upgrade. I don't know that they can get to the level of the first trailer in the reveal. We know that whole trailer was basically a bullshot, but unfortunately, that set expectations sky high. After that, I don't know that they had a clear path to success. But we will see. With over a year of extra time, a lot can and should have been revamped, redesigned and uplifted. So I hope they are successful and achieve whatever vision it is that they are executing to. I truly do. Damn...that article just made me feel really bad for the developers. Not talking about this case but it made me think it must be really tough as well when developers are stuck on a project they KNOW is turning out bad but have no choice other than to finish it badly to meet a contract or whatever...then see what they've worked on for the past 4 years totally ripped apart, again publicly, all while they KNEW it was going to be received like that. Just must be a tough job to be in unless you're at the rare Naughty Dog or something that pretty much turns to gold anything they touch. Even there, the pressure to KEEP things that way must just be enormous.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm wondering the same about measuring the amount of consoles being sold. Does it matter to us gamers, if a console sells 50M or 100M?
Well, looking at the smartphone market, ask Palm, Black Berry and Win Mo/Windows Phone users about hardware sales....

At some point, it can matter if you like that platform.

12Dannu123

They can aim for those 3 billion "gamers" without buying bethesda or obsidian or ninja theory. They dont understand their own audience. The mobile or farmville userbase does not care about traditional games. If MS is aiming for those gamers then spending $7 billion on zenimax is straight up dumb. They needed a mobile developer acquisition instead.

TBH, I dont care if they want to expand gaming and get some of those people to buy gamepass, but they just dont have the games those people want. Their studios dont make those games. So what the hell is Satya going on about? It's wishful thinking at best. Not unlike when Don and other MS execs boasted about selling 1 billion xbox ones because they thought their tv pitch would work.

MS just doesnt understand the console business. Lets face it, they bought Bethesda because they wanted to win the console war. Not because they wanted to aim at the 3 billion userbase. it seems their CEO is completely detached from how the console business works and comes off as completely useless.

I think the CEO of Microsoft will have a better understanding about the future gaming industry landscape in 10 years than some wannabe forum poster seeking attention.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Along with the 200 million Xbox One owners... oh, wait...
Their target was actually a billion consoles according to Yusuf Mehdi back in 2013.

Microsoft’s senior vice president of Interactive Entertainment Business Yusuf Mehdi has stated that given the broad multimedia focus of Xbox One, there’s no reason why it can’t shift between 400 million and 1 billion consoles in its lifetime. He said the company is also angling for 100 million Xbox 360 console sales in the next five years.

On the subject of Xbox One sales and the growth of the market with the herald of next-gen formats, Mehdi continued, “Every generation, as you’ve probably heard, has grown approximately 30%. So this generation is about 300 million units. Most industry experts think the next generation will get upwards of about 400 million units. That’s if it’s a game console, over the next decade.

“We think you can go broader than a game console, that’s our aim, and you can go from 400 million to potentially upwards of a billion units. That’s how we’re thinking of the Xbox opportunity as we go forward.”

But hey, clearly the Senior vice president of Interactive Business at Microsoft knew better than I did. After all, CEOs can never be wrong and Microsoft didnt pay Ninja $50 million to stream on a platform they shutdown a few months later.

Last edited:

timmyp53

New PlayStation 5 system update.
Get dat stability.

PS5 Update 20.02.-02.30.00 Patch Notes:
  • This system update improves system performance
While there are no actual notes on the system firmware update other than what’s listed above, players will be prompted to update their DualSense PS5 controllers once you’ve booted the system. Sadly, no actual changelog on that is available as well, so we’re left in the dark as to what changes have been made so far. Note that the DualSense controller will be updated from firmware 0204 to 0210.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

I am really confused with the Game Awards times. When does the livestream start and when does it end? Especially for Europeans.
event starts 1am CET on friday morning, the official stream a bit earlier (pre show?)
The stream lets you set a reminder, so those with other time zones get an idea when it starts for them.

kyliethicc

Looks promising!

But then

ryA65mv.jpg

FunkMiller

I am really confused with the Game Awards times. When does the livestream start and when does it end? Especially for Europeans.

Looks like they don't really give a shit about any audience outside the US, given the time it happens. Which is fair enough, I guess. Seems strange to lose out on so many views though.

DarkestHour

Banned
It starts at 4 Am here. I mean cmon.

It starts at 4 Am here. I mean cmon.

How do you expect them to work around you living in such a different time zone? Their target audience is the United States and Europe. They’re just barely able to get the west coast of the United States and England due to time zones. If they moved it earlier most of the United States would still be at work.

Last edited:

TheDude108

Tried it there and it seems to drop the resolution down a bit, probably 1080/1440p reconstructed to 4K and the shadows in the RT reflections seem to be paired back a bit.

Easy way to compare, enable 'Performance RT' go to a window or reflective surface and then enter 'Photo Mode'. This should enable the 'Fidelity' image quality settings, so its easier to see the differences in RT. Mighty impressive though.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

at first i was gonna be like "OMG if i had known i would have waited!" but then seeing people say resolution is really low... i dont think i would have used it anyway. already got Platinum on it but will stll try this out

JdPsuEI.png

And thus this is how Miles Morales 60fps RT came to be. 🤔

I don’t think people realize how powerful these new consoles are, that fact that most of the games are already running at 60fps-120fps at 4K is amazing especially for $499.

1080p with RT at 60fps ... Insomniac is just showing off at this point and we are not even in a full year yet with these consoles.... I am excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom