• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyp

A few different scenarios here:

1: Sony blogger is just clueless

2: Sony is aware the ES6 IS coming to ps5 and is just testing hype.

3: Sony is aware that ES6 ISNT coming to ps5 and is purposefully saying that is, so when its announced that its xbox/pc only their fans cause an online uproar and MS look like the bad guys.

4: Sony made a deal with bethesda recently to have marketing rights for ES6. Zenimax execs get an extra 10s of millions on the way out and MS doesnt have a say in it yet.

Or you know, a more sane reason: they are interested in knowing what gamers are interested in, even games not on their platform, in order to make strategic decisions.

Last edited:
A patently ridiculous statement.
tenor.gif

bitbydeath

I think Ubisoft took a sizable risk with Rainbow Six Siege. That was a pretty new concept for a game in 2015.

It didn't launch well, probably lost them money, but Ubi stuck with it and spent the time & money to make it better over 5 years, and will keep doing that for 5 more years. Its a fun PC/console game and even a fairly popular esport I think.

I love the game but it is heavily supported by Ubisoft credits.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Using new IP's and taking risks is not how you define AAA development; what does that have to do with being able to afford AAA games?

In the context of this conversation only budget matters; to claim Ubisoft and EA aren't AAA developers when it comes to budget is absolute nonsense.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Using new IP's and taking risks is not how you define AAA development; what does that have to do with being able to afford AAA games?

In the context of this conversation only budget matters; to claim Ubisoft and EA aren't AAA developers when it comes to budget is absolute nonsense.

It defines the budget. A game with effort costs a lot more than a game with little effort.

kyliethicc

So there is another source of revenue being applied to mitigate risk and therefore make it fine to put up on a FTP streaming service.

Should this be the future of gaming or would you rather straight SP games you pay once for?

I know what I rather.
I'm confused lol... I only paid once for R6Siege. Its not free to play either.

It cost me like $30 and I have never paid them anything since. But they keep updating the game for me for free. The in game renown I get as I play is all I used to unlock more ops.

kyliethicc

"All of the guns in the game will support adaptive triggers and you’ll feel an authentic sensation with each shot you fire. Automatic weapons also simulate recoil with every bullet and we’re implementing unique haptic feedback for each weapon that is tied to the distinct sound profile of each weapon. Essentially, we’re emulating what it feels like to fire a specific weapon in the same way that we’re replicating how each weapon sounds."

"One specific (and really cool!) example of our adaptive trigger support is how you activate the Focus effect that slows down the world around you with a sniper rifle. When you gently squeeze the R2 button, your finger will reach a tension point that will resist your pressure, and you’ll need to hold your finger against that tension point to activate the focus. When you’re ready to fire, push past that tension point and you’ll feel the “click” of the trigger as you fire the weapon. Boom. Headshot."

"only sony 1st party games will use the dualsense, just gimmicks"

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
"All of the guns in the game will support adaptive triggers and you’ll feel an authentic sensation with each shot you fire. Automatic weapons also simulate recoil with every bullet and we’re implementing unique haptic feedback for each weapon that is tied to the distinct sound profile of each weapon. Essentially, we’re emulating what it feels like to fire a specific weapon in the same way that we’re replicating how each weapon sounds."

"One specific (and really cool!) example of our adaptive trigger support is how you activate the Focus effect that slows down the world around you with a sniper rifle. When you gently squeeze the R2 button, your finger will reach a tension point that will resist your pressure, and you’ll need to hold your finger against that tension point to activate the focus. When you’re ready to fire, push past that tension point and you’ll feel the “click” of the trigger as you fire the weapon. Boom. Headshot."

"only sony 1st party games will use the dualsense, just gimmicks"
I made a Dex build in demon souls so I can use Bows, and I dont know If i hate the adaptive triggers or love them. It almost locks in until you let go of the trigger like you would an arrow if you were shooting it. Holding it down and spamming it is no longer an option so its no longer quicky and gamey. But at the same time, it feels like a lot of work. especially when you are spamming hundreds of arrows to take down dragons.

I think having some kind of haptic feedback and swoosh sound effect come out of the controller as soon as you "let go" of the arrow would probably make it feel a lot better. Right now it almost feels incomplete.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

It cost me like $30 and I have never paid them anything since. But they keep updating the game for me for free. The in game renown I get as I play is all I used to unlock more ops.
He's just goal post moving.. but I think he's just now saying "AAA new IPs with no MTX can't go on a subscription service day one".. I guess, since that's where the goalpost was moved lol

I think EA/Ubisoft would love to hear about how low-effort and low-budget their games supposedly are lol

Last edited:

bitbydeath

True, I’m not knocking their system. They certainly run it well as far as MP games go. But for some people they just can’t refuse
images

Sinthor

Gold Member
The XSX|S had more games available to play than the X1 did day one. X1 had no back compatibility nor Game pass. Sony fans are the ones who harp on the Xbox not having tons of 1 party 3rd person single player games. A thing MS never really made. Several new games have launched on Game pass over the month the system has been out. Games like war zone run better on the XSX than PS5 so that back compatibility is clearly something worth having just ask Sony seeing how they at least have an attempt at bringing it back to their consoles.

I will say that yes they need to manage game releases better internally but delaying

There are plenty of games that have been updated to take advantage of what the XSX can do. How much does MS charge players for those updates? Anywhere close to what the Spiderman update cost PlayStation players? What games launched on the PS5 that couldn't be possible with out its hardware power? Aside from some graphical effects NOTHING couldn't be done as evidence of the many cross gen titles. Something Sony only fans attacked Xbox for. Only Sony believes in generations? And Phil is the liar? :messenger_tears_of_joy: That's what he gets for being honest about blending generational lines. You have no idea what will be coming to the Xbox in the next year but I'll bet good money it's more than just HI.

I agree bundled Kinect was a mistake and guess what? It's gone! The heavy DRM stuff as you noted never happened you just chose to be upset at the prospect over it actually happening. MS has already said it isn't mandatory that you buy either of their next gen boxes day one. They don't sell just console games so they have more flexibility. I too don't want any of the console platform holders to exit and that's why I support them all. I know enough about them to see both the pros and cons of every platform. I am still so shocked that people who don't own an Xbox and don't know about its features have the most negative things to say. I guess it makes perfect sense.

Ummmm......what games on the XSX have been launched that weren't possible with X1X? Saying the only difference in games for different generations is 'some graphical effects' is about as relevant as saying the only difference between a Prius and a Ferrari is that the Ferrari can go 'a little bit faster.' That part makes no sense. Hey, you like relying on BC games and like the Xbox ecosystem- have at it! It's all good. Don't try to compare that to properly planned hardware launches that actually have multiple games designed for that hardware though. It's not a good look.

Around the same time of GoW2’s release.

For anyone's that interested, 343i goes into detail on what they've been working on so far.

Craig may get a beard :)

I don’t think they ever planned on actually releasing it at console launch. “Delaying“ a full year makes it pretty evident.

the only logical exception is if they decided to heavily revamp the visuals after everyone shit on the demo.

kyliethicc

I don’t think they ever planned on actually releasing it at console launch. “Delaying“ a full year makes it pretty evident.

the only logical exception is if they decided to heavily revamp the visuals after everyone shit on the demo.
Lots of games now just launch half baked and get fixed over time. Xbox say they want Halo 6 to last 10 years, no more sequels.

So if people had liked the E3 demo, they would have launched this fall and just gone from there. It'll launch on Halo's 20th anniversary in November 2021. It will still be the same game from that demo, just a bit different. They'll just get it over with and fix over time like all the ongoing service games do.

For anyone's that interested, 343i goes into detail on what they've been working on so far.

Craig may get a beard :)

Now the question is what games will MS have to hold Xbox gamers over until then?

what exclusive titles will be coming out for Xbox in 2021 besides Halo?

SlimySnake

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem gets himself into hot water with the mods on here more than his students do with him I’m sure. 😝
bo goes too far. i have criticized MS more than anyone here, but ive only been warned once and got a one day ban for it after i ignored it. thats 1 ban in 2 years despite shitting on Phil pretty much everyday.

Calling xbox a scam is just not going to fly. its a fine console. yes, the games arent there, but when it comes to tech they have somehow managed to at least match sony in performance after being down by 50% last gen. thats pretty impressive.

lets give credit where its due. they just need to deliver the games now and they will be fine.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I know Tim Dog was banned here, but the guy does have some strong contacts in MS.
On their podcast he said that MS hard-wired two compute units for their machine learning.
Not sure what that means, but thought I would post it.
this is partially true and has been known since the xbox series x reveal back in March.

From the DF interview:

The RDNA 2 architecture used in Series X does not have tensor core equivalents, but Microsoft and AMD have come up with a novel, efficient solution based on the standard shader cores. With over 12 teraflops of FP32 compute, RDNA 2 also allows for double that with FP16 (yes, rapid-packed math is back). However, machine learning workloads often use much lower precision than that, so the RDNA 2 shaders were adapted still further.

"We knew that many inference algorithms need only 8-bit and 4-bit integer positions for weights and the math operations involving those weights comprise the bulk of the performance overhead for those algorithms," says Andrew Goossen. "So we added special hardware support for this specific scenario. The result is that Series X offers 49 TOPS for 8-bit integer operations and 97 TOPS for 4-bit integer operations. Note that the weights are integers, so those are TOPS and not TFLOPs. The net result is that Series X offers unparalleled intelligence for machine learning."

its just part of standard rdna 2.0 feature set. built into shader cores which are part of CUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom