• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zathalus

If they were okay with bleeding tons of money for years with Gamepass and Bethesda, they wouldn't have tried to double the Xbox Live Gold price overnight recently. This move shows they don't want to go too far in the red (although obviously, they technically could with MS money. It just feels they don't have the greenlight for that from the higher ups). There were other ways to push people to Gamepass, like making it basically free for years for everybody.
If that change was really for any serious financial reasons, they wouldn't have changed direction so quickly. It was a poorly thought out move to try and push consumers to Gamepass ultimate, nothing more.

Microsoft is more than happy to throw billions into various ideas and investments, the companies history is pretty clear on that. Heck Xbox as a brand itself is a shining example of that.

kyliethicc

Good Lord, this gave me a good laugh :messenger_grinning_sweat: Please, don't ever become involved in running a business.

Firstly, you clearly have no concept of the scope of Microsoft's wealth. They paid $8.6 billion for Skype, and wrote off a $6 billion loss two years later. $7.5 billion is a smaller purchase at this tier; it's not enough to challenge the very concept of what an exclusive platform holder is or does. You're laughable wrong if you think $7.5 billion is somehow too much money for Microsoft.

Secondly, you clearly have no concept of Microsoft's MO. Anyone who thinks fucking Microsoft is going to share needs to cut back on their daily intake cope-ium. Microsoft 101: walk into an industry you want to dominate and write a blank cheque. Back when they wanted to enter the video game industry, they didn't fuck around: they walked up to Nintendo and offered to buy it. For cash. They were laughed out of the room, so, they went with plan B instead: build the Xbox platform from scratch, knowing they'd lose billions until the brand was established. So, Microsoft 102: In the industry you want to dominate, stop other people from getting the milk. A couple of hundred million for Rare, a couple of hundred million for Bungie - which pissed Steve Jobs off - and a couple hundred million here and there for some exclusive deals, and boom: Xbox brand is now a thing. Easy. With Bethesda, they could've had marketing deals for pennies in comparison, like with Cyberpunk. Heck, they could've had Gamepass day one access for the next ten years for every Bethesda title for a billion and change. They didn't want either of those things; they bought the cow, because Microsoft doesn't like to share the milk.
Now, at this point you'll cling to "but.. but.. Minecraft" and magically ignore every other purchase in the history of Microsoft including all of their other video game development purchases they've made since Minecraft. So, ok, Minecraft. That decision was made outside of the Xbox division, and according the Nadella, it was about cultural relevance, at a time when Microsoft was on the way out in the consumer space. So, Microsoft paid $2.5 billion dollars to make sure the Microsoft and Xbox logos were associated with the biggest game in the world, and it's paid for itself many, many times over. There's a reason Coca Cola likes to get its vending machines into schools, after all.

Thirdly, you clearly have no concept of platform adoption techniques. So, pick your strategy; here, it looks like Microsoft's is some variation of the little big horn: surround you with their stuff until you crack and buy in because you just can't not do it. They just bought up so many established brands that people who weren't looking at their platforms now can't not look at their platform. Gamers will cave and buy in because Microsoft just so happens to have a cheap console, and a cheap subscription service, where you can get access to whichever franchise you love. Oh, you're on PC? No problem, their platform is on PC. Oh, you're on mobile? No problem, their platform is on mobile. Oh, not sure if it's for you? Try the first month for $1. This approach drives platform adoption because who the heck won't pickup Gamepass to play Starfield or Elder Scrolls VI? Microsoft are banking that once you're in, you'll realise everything else that's there and stick around. That all drives platform revenue; DLC, Microtransactions, subscriptions, game sales, and so forth. $7.5 billion is a small price to pay for the millions upon millions of new platform adopters it'll create. They're at 18 million on Gamepass as of today and they haven't even dropped big exclusives yet. Easy to say: their strategy is working and they're just getting started.

And lastly, as an extension of the above, you clearly have no concept of how platform exclusives play into adoption. Sony made close to a $1 billion last quarter off of their PS Store platform alone, mostly off of third party title purchases, because Sony have aggressively driven adoption of their platform. The sales of any one title are largely useless when we're talking that kind of money at a platform level. Your terrible opinion is basically "Xbox is too small to have such big exclusives". So, how do you propose they grow their platform without such big exclusives? So, let's look at PlayStation with your broken logic. Obviously, Sony must be porting Spider-man to all Microsoft platforms because it would simply lose too much money not to on such a massive property. Marvel is the biggest franchise in the world right now, there is no way Sony's shareholders would allow them to cut out the entire PC and Xbox platforms for some fanboy pissing contest. Right? Lol - of course it's bloody exclusive, and rightfully so: people buy PlayStations to play Spider-man, and all the other exclusives, which is why they've sold 120+ million PS4s. Those sales mean 120 million people spending money on the PlayStation platform. That's how they made $1 billion on third party purchases in three months. Sony would probably sell another 5 or so million copies of Spider-man if they released it on Xbox; but they'd lose hundreds and hundreds of millions on platform-level revenue from people who didn't buy a PlayStation to play it. That's how PlayStation makes its money.
For Microsoft, if they lose $200 million in revenue on Starfield because it cut out PlayStation - but - Starfield drives new platform adopters whose spending eclipses $300 million across the entire Xbox platform, be it on PC, Mobile, or console, that's a big win for Microsoft, even if it looks like a loss on Starfield in isolation. Add up all the other exclusives, and the $7.5 billion they just paid is poultry; that purchase can pay for itself in a relatively short period of time, and now Microsoft has tens of millions of new platform adopters that'll stick around. That's how they're going to grow their platform.

But, please, feel free to cling to whatever you think Microsoft's CFO may or may not have possibly meant by a hint they may or may not have possibly dropped about a deal that is in-complete and thus illegal to comment on. I'm sure he threw a wink to all the PlayStation fans, just to let them know Microsoft, a company sued by the American government for anti-trust practices, who spent billions upon billions of dollars to dominate their industries, who spent a couple of years to set up a deal to buy a privately owned video game publisher for $7.5 billion dollars... plans to do absolutely nothing with it. Makes perfect sense :'D
tldr

icerock

it looks good but I see no combat here. Does the game only consist of walking around?

graphics look good and i bought gamepass for 3 months for a dollar so I will download it on PC, but i really hope there is more to this game than walking around exploring for 8 hours.

8hr DLC, of a walking simulator, running at 30fps. Basically, all-in-one package of things Xbox fans critique PS exclusives for. Wonderful.

On a serious note, the performance isn't impressive. If RT is so taxing, it's best to remove it altogether. 18fps on an RTX 3080 makes no sense.

That post is well written, but few things to keep in mind is that Xbox is just another division in a very very large company that is Microsoft. Like other divisions, they have their own balance sheet, which they have to account for. They cannot continue to bleed money, or MS will can it. As they nearly did few years back. Bethesda acquisition if anything has mounted more pressure on the division because the subscriptions would need to grow at a rate/in-line with whatever model the higher ups have accounted for. They are not the most patient company. So, all this flexing about "sunk cost" "billion dollars is chump change" has the opposite effect as to what many are championing, because MS would write it off and move on.

It's also staggering how quick the price hike in Gold has been swept under, you don't double the price of the largest driver of revenue if your division is swimming in profits. MS as a whole will only pump in money for so long, until they start asking for better results. The decision to hike the price wasn't taken because MS were struggling for profits, because "Lulz, 2 Bethesdas worth of profit banked in one quarter". It's because the revenue/profit needs to go up for sub-division that is Xbox. Yet, so many seem to equate profit of MS==profit for Xbox. There's fuck-all data in there for Xbox division in general, just some vague figures and numbers. Nothing on total revenue split, profit sharing etc.

Everyone is riding the wave of the quick backtrack, as if it has solved the problem. No it hasn't, something will have to give sooner rather than later. Also, the reaction to this whole ordeal reminds me of this.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

metacritic: 72

opencritic: 73

Well, it's in the medium. All good.
The Medium is the studio's most successful, accessible offering yet, and a sign that Bloober continues to improve, mature, and innovate. I cannot wait for its next terrifying adventure. [Eurogamer Recommended]

How the fuck do they know that? It hasn't even released yet.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
8hr DLC, of a walking simulator, running at 30fps. Basically, all-in-one package of things Xbox fans critique PS exclusives for. Wonderful.
I have always found those complaints bizarre. PS exclusives have always had fantastic combat going all the way back to gow1 on PS1. I loved the combat in uncharted and preferred it over Gears even though I used to love gears back then. Drake felt so agile and the melee added this fantastic dimension to the combat which they took to the next level in TLOU games.

Days Gone, TLOU2, Ghosts of Tsushima, Horizon, Spiderman, Killzone, Ratchet, and even Infamous had fantastic combat. Maybe not on par with say DMC or Ninja Gaiden, but i would never call them walking simulators. Uncharted 4 is probably the only one that qualifies but that was an aberration, not the norm. And its combat sections and setpieces were absolutely amazing. You can easily tell these people have never played PS exclusives because its impossible not to like combat in these games.

Mr Moose

They were talking about the quality of the game not sales.
giphy.gif

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
I have always found those complaints bizarre. PS exclusives have always had fantastic combat going all the way back to gow1 on PS1. I loved the combat in uncharted and preferred it over Gears even though I used to love gears back then. Drake felt so agile and the melee added this fantastic dimension to the combat which they took to the next level in TLOU games.

Days Gone, TLOU2, Ghosts of Tsushima, Horizon, Spiderman, Killzone, Ratchet, and even Infamous had fantastic combat. Maybe not on par with say DMC or Ninja Gaiden, but i would never call them walking simulators. Uncharted 4 is probably the only one that qualifies but that was an aberration, not the norm. And its combat sections and setpieces were absolutely amazing. You can easily tell these people have never played PS exclusives because its impossible not to like combat in these games.

I have always criticized Xbox for their lack of single player narrative driven games. Too much focus on Xbox Live.

welshrat

Microsoft wants future Bethesda games to be ‘first or best’ on Xbox, says CFO​

If that is the case then its an easy choice for me to only play their games on PC, plenty else to play on PS5, expected really but hey

Krisprolls

Banned
If that change was really for any serious financial reasons, they wouldn't have changed direction so quickly. It was a poorly thought out move to try and push consumers to Gamepass ultimate, nothing more.

Microsoft is more than happy to throw billions into various ideas and investments, the companies history is pretty clear on that. Heck Xbox as a brand itself is a shining example of that.

No they're not okay with losing money for years, otherwise they wouldn't have shut down Mixer overnight recently. Or Nokia, or Zune, or everything else they tried that wasn't successful. That's not how smart businesses are run.

Xbox was pretty close to be shut down too after Xbox One, it's well documented. It was either changing strategy completely to try to be the Netflix of gaming or shutting down altogether. They chose the former as a last ditch attempt but that was a close call. There was a thread and an interview about that a few months ago iirc.

Xbox without Gamepass was a failure for Microsoft. It doesn't make nearly enough money compared to something like Azure, especially after the Xbox One fiasco, and it doesn't fit that much in their global strategy, outside of the marginal cloud gaming.

And of course doubling the price of Xbox Live Gold has financial reasons, otherwise you just drop the price of Gamepass Ultimate, it's more effective but more costly. That's not what they did. They don't want to lose too much money on that Gamepass attempt if it fails. That makes sense, especially since they failed at every attempt they made to gain control of the gaming market until now.

Last edited:
yep. even their single player games like Gears and Halo are held back by having to design every level for 4 player coop.
Both of those games would be significantly worse off if they had no multiplayer. MS excels at putting out games that have online features and most have multiplayer. Sony excels at putting out single player, 3rd person, story driven titles. I've noticed that it appears that MS is pushing to make games of every genre especially since buying Bethesda. Sony is comfortable sticking with the same formula. Different strokes for different folks. We'll see how things shake out as the years go on.

Hashi

Watched that, and cried...

I just paid 1390 OMR ($3,614) for a7s III today, only body. Can't even use it until I buy the 160GB memory ($400) and the first lens (Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN Art Lens) ($960). :lollipop_crying:

If I manage to buy an 8K@60-120fps camera, I'll rarely make photos and mostly make videos. 8K stills are 33.2MP!!!

And also watched this video, and continued crying...

U can use SD card on 7SIII. Ive tested 90MB/s (write) Sony card and 4K60p 10bit normal record.

Amazing video shot on Alpha 1. Dynamic range (at the end of clip) is incredible (on 50mpx sensor):

Bo_Hazem

Banned
U can use SD card on 7SIII. Ive tested 90MB/s (write) Sony card and 4K60p 10bit normal record.

Amazing video shot on Alpha 1. Dynamic range (at the end of clip) is incredible (on 50mpx sensor):

Yeah my main goal for a7s III is the 4K@120fps 10-bit! Gonna buy 2x 160GB Sony's, they're expensive as fuck but worth it! I've never used a DSLR/mirrorless before, I'm too late to the party even though been semi "pro" in terms of making money out of documentary and now wanna step up my game.

devilNprada

Watched that, and cried...

I just paid 1390 OMR ($3,614) for a7s III today, only body. Can't even use it until I buy the 160GB memory ($400) and the first lens (Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN Art Lens) ($960). :lollipop_crying:

If I manage to buy an 8K@60-120fps camera, I'll rarely make photos and mostly make videos. 8K stills are 33.2MP!!!

And also watched this video, and continued crying...

When they releasing this?

Fuck man I just completely ruined my XZ premium and replaced it with the Xperia 1 ii.
I wanted to hold out for this but just didn't.
I should have just suffered with an older I phone for a couple months!!!!!!

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
When they releasing this?

Fuck man I just completely ruined my XZ premium and replaced it with the Xperia 1 ii.
I wanted to hold out for this but just didn't.
I should have just suffered with an older I phone for a couple months!!!!!!

No need to feel sorry, it's a fucking $2500 pro phone for real pros ;) Can't even see myself buying a used ones, even though It's a wonderful tool to have with your camera.

devilNprada

No need to feel sorry, it's a fucking $2500 pro phone for real pros ;) Can't even see myself buying a used ones, even though It's a wonderful tool to have with your camera.
ohhh that's a lot of $$$..

I could talk the boss into it because of the camera... but then I would have to take her picture everywhere...Ugggh

Good Lord, this gave me a good laugh :messenger_grinning_sweat: Please, don't ever become involved in running a business.

Firstly, you clearly have no concept of the scope of Microsoft's wealth. They paid $8.6 billion for Skype, and wrote off a $6 billion loss two years later. $7.5 billion is a smaller purchase at this tier; it's not enough to challenge the very concept of what an exclusive platform holder is or does. You're laughable wrong if you think $7.5 billion is somehow too much money for Microsoft.

Secondly, you clearly have no concept of Microsoft's MO. Anyone who thinks fucking Microsoft is going to share needs to cut back on their daily intake cope-ium. Microsoft 101: walk into an industry you want to dominate and write a blank cheque. Back when they wanted to enter the video game industry, they didn't fuck around: they walked up to Nintendo and offered to buy it. For cash. They were laughed out of the room, so, they went with plan B instead: build the Xbox platform from scratch, knowing they'd lose billions until the brand was established. So, Microsoft 102: In the industry you want to dominate, stop other people from getting the milk. A couple of hundred million for Rare, a couple of hundred million for Bungie - which pissed Steve Jobs off - and a couple hundred million here and there for some exclusive deals, and boom: Xbox brand is now a thing. Easy. With Bethesda, they could've had marketing deals for pennies in comparison, like with Cyberpunk. Heck, they could've had Gamepass day one access for the next ten years for every Bethesda title for a billion and change. They didn't want either of those things; they bought the cow, because Microsoft doesn't like to share the milk.
Now, at this point you'll cling to "but.. but.. Minecraft" and magically ignore every other purchase in the history of Microsoft including all of their other video game development purchases they've made since Minecraft. So, ok, Minecraft. That decision was made outside of the Xbox division, and according the Nadella, it was about cultural relevance, at a time when Microsoft was on the way out in the consumer space. So, Microsoft paid $2.5 billion dollars to make sure the Microsoft and Xbox logos were associated with the biggest game in the world, and it's paid for itself many, many times over. There's a reason Coca Cola likes to get its vending machines into schools, after all.

Thirdly, you clearly have no concept of platform adoption techniques. So, pick your strategy; here, it looks like Microsoft's is some variation of the little big horn: surround you with their stuff until you crack and buy in because you just can't not do it. They just bought up so many established brands that people who weren't looking at their platforms now can't not look at their platform. Gamers will cave and buy in because Microsoft just so happens to have a cheap console, and a cheap subscription service, where you can get access to whichever franchise you love. Oh, you're on PC? No problem, their platform is on PC. Oh, you're on mobile? No problem, their platform is on mobile. Oh, not sure if it's for you? Try the first month for $1. This approach drives platform adoption because who the heck won't pickup Gamepass to play Starfield or Elder Scrolls VI? Microsoft are banking that once you're in, you'll realise everything else that's there and stick around. That all drives platform revenue; DLC, Microtransactions, subscriptions, game sales, and so forth. $7.5 billion is a small price to pay for the millions upon millions of new platform adopters it'll create. They're at 18 million on Gamepass as of today and they haven't even dropped big exclusives yet. Easy to say: their strategy is working and they're just getting started.

And lastly, as an extension of the above, you clearly have no concept of how platform exclusives play into adoption. Sony made close to a $1 billion last quarter off of their PS Store platform alone, mostly off of third party title purchases, because Sony have aggressively driven adoption of their platform. The sales of any one title are largely useless when we're talking that kind of money at a platform level. Your terrible opinion is basically "Xbox is too small to have such big exclusives". So, how do you propose they grow their platform without such big exclusives? So, let's look at PlayStation with your broken logic. Obviously, Sony must be porting Spider-man to all Microsoft platforms because it would simply lose too much money not to on such a massive property. Marvel is the biggest franchise in the world right now, there is no way Sony's shareholders would allow them to cut out the entire PC and Xbox platforms for some fanboy pissing contest. Right? Lol - of course it's bloody exclusive, and rightfully so: people buy PlayStations to play Spider-man, and all the other exclusives, which is why they've sold 120+ million PS4s. Those sales mean 120 million people spending money on the PlayStation platform. That's how they made $1 billion on third party purchases in three months. Sony would probably sell another 5 or so million copies of Spider-man if they released it on Xbox; but they'd lose hundreds and hundreds of millions on platform-level revenue from people who didn't buy a PlayStation to play it. That's how PlayStation makes its money.
For Microsoft, if they lose $200 million in revenue on Starfield because it cut out PlayStation - but - Starfield drives new platform adopters whose spending eclipses $300 million across the entire Xbox platform, be it on PC, Mobile, or console, that's a big win for Microsoft, even if it looks like a loss on Starfield in isolation. Add up all the other exclusives, and the $7.5 billion they just paid is poultry; that purchase can pay for itself in a relatively short period of time, and now Microsoft has tens of millions of new platform adopters that'll stick around. That's how they're going to grow their platform.

But, please, feel free to cling to whatever you think Microsoft's CFO may or may not have possibly meant by a hint they may or may not have possibly dropped about a deal that is in-complete and thus illegal to comment on. I'm sure he threw a wink to all the PlayStation fans, just to let them know Microsoft, a company sued by the American government for anti-trust practices, who spent billions upon billions of dollars to dominate their industries, who spent a couple of years to set up a deal to buy a privately owned video game publisher for $7.5 billion dollars... plans to do absolutely nothing with it. Makes perfect sense :'D
Anyone going to post an essay like this will get a like from me solely based on effort.
Got about halfway through and will continue this later.

The indications are what the managers like Spencer and Xbox CFO themselves said. I don't know what you want as a better indication, they could have said "Future Bethesda games will be Gamepass exclusives" but they didn't say that at all, quite the opposite :

Microsoft wants future Bethesda games to be ‘first or best’ on Xbox, says CFO​

First or best = not fully exclusive, that's pretty clear. You don't say "first on" if it isn't available elsewhere later.

If they were okay with bleeding tons of money for years with Gamepass and Bethesda, they wouldn't have tried to double the Xbox Live Gold price overnight recently. This move shows they don't want to go too far in the red (although obviously, they technically could with MS money. It just feels they don't have the greenlight for that from the higher ups, as it should, considering the multiple failures recorded by Xbox brand over the years), so it's a confirmation of what the CFO said.

There were other ways to push people to Gamepass, like making it basically free for years for everybody. That's not the choice they made, probably because Xbox installed base is low which means success is uncertain, so they prefer keeping a less costly exit door in case it doesn't work.

Installed base is near 50 millions for Xbox One, not so low, plus the PC games market... And the second one is the most attached to the biggest franchise from Zenimax...

Hashi

Yeah my main goal for a7s III is the 4K@120fps 10-bit! Gonna buy 2x 160GB Sony's, they're expensive as fuck but worth it! I've never used a DSLR/mirrorless before, I'm too late to the party even though been semi "pro" in terms of making money out of documentary and now wanna step up my game.
SDXC V90 (minimum bitrate) is compatible with 120p/XAVC HS 4K at 500 Mbps
But V90 SD cards are expensive too.

Only XAVC S-I 4K and XAVC S-I HD at 1200mbps and 890mbps in slo-mo @120p need CFexpress Type A

devilNprada

From what I remember and it's been a few years depreciation applies mainly to fixed assets like vehicles and furniture, you can have fixed assets that increase in value like buildings etc. Bethesda could rise in value. This takes place over many years so wouldn't be an impact on purchase date.
No you have to amortize the intangible assets different term same concept...

So, they’re pushing for the already existing company they purchased that owns developers to continue to develop games they’ve been making for decades? That’s how you shake up the industry through innovation and risk taking! Bravo!
Compared to playing it safe and sticking with another 3rd person, single player, story driven title. Like I said to each his own some like variety some perfer to stick to the same thing. Neither is wrong.

That's a wall right there.

Those that make asinine statements about MS being unable to lose 50% sales from Bethesda games just hasn't looked at the math at all. On an average year they've been taking in 500m in revenue, even if half of that is from PS that's only 250m, which is nothing to MS. Say they have a big launch and post 2b in revenue (would be big historically for them), and again take half, it's still only 1b. If MS can increase the reach of their platform, even modestly, they can easily cover the lost PS revenue and then some. Goosing a 4-5b per quarter business by even 5 or 10% would net a much bigger win for them. LOL

The platforms have greater earning potential than the publishers/developers, always have. There are some rare caveats (Fortnite/Epic), but that's not easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom