• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

demigod

Oh, WOW, just fuc**** WOW :

source.gif

Xboners dream about weaker PS5 deadier than dead

lol, told you guys this dude datamined old info.

What if.......it was actually Sony that put this info out to throw MS off guard?

TLZ

Banned
Oh, WOW, just fuc**** WOW :

source.gif

Xboners dream about weaker PS5 deadier than dead

You only need to follow the trail of those that were pushing this so hard on Twitter, and creating accounts on here around the “hint drops” leading up to this.
From resetera and reddit:

giphy.gif

Ovech-King

So let me throw a question out there... If a 5700xt is able to push 9.75 RDNA tflops with 8gb of GDDR6 and a clock speed of 1740mhz ... why would the new consoles be in the same RDNA2 Tlops range while having MORE than 8 GB of GDDR6 dedicated to graphics ?

Did I just debunked the whole 9TF scenario?

For those saying that things at this stage are still a long way out from final specs, Phil Spencer actually has an Xbox Series X at his house. And no, its just not a PC with similar specs.
I would assume a few MS employees have them to test them out in the field so to speak.

Mass Shift

So let me throw a question out there... If a 5700xt is able to push 9.75 RDNA tflops with 8gb of GDDR6 and a clock speed of 1740mhz ... why would the new consoles be in the same RDNA2 Tlops range while having MORE than 8 GB of GDDR6 dedicated to graphics ?

Did I just debunked the whole 9TF scenario?

Unfortunately no. At the end of the day the engineering sample in question still has BC clocks for PS4/Pro and the expected PS5 clock.

How do we explain that away?

In the PS4 era, Sony was never about producing the most powerful console. The PS4 was more powerful than the Xbox, but it wasnt so because Sony went balls out to make it so, it was because of the decisions made by MS to gimp on the silicon to have Kinect in every box.
MS was $100 more expensive, so imagine if they were just interested in the power game, they could have had a way more powerful system for $100 more. Even with the PS 4 Pro, Sony never really tried to blow the specs out of the window. They went for a system that was balanced and did what it had to do.
Maybe this is their actual approach? Lets be honest here, Sony is in the box seat again this gen. The goodwill from PS4 will absolutely give them a head start. With a good CPU, frame rates wont be a problem, and the average consumer would not be able to tell the difference between a Xbox version of a game with 2 tflops extra compared to a PS 5 version of the same game. Other than DF with their pixel counting and FPS monitoring software, could 99% of people really see a difference between a PS4 Pro and one X version of Red Dead Redemption? I can't.
So keep the price point good, they have all their first party games, and an existing 100 million user base more than likely to stay in the PlayStation ecosystem.

MS on the other hand need to go all out. They need to be able to say theirs is the most powerful. They need to get their first party studios putting out AAA games.
They need it more than Sony.
So while the fanboys really want to have the PS5 as the most powerful, does Sony really need it?

Mod of War: Remastered

👻🎃☠️
Staff Member
Lol. Just because you wish it so, doesnt make it so.
The logic from Sony guys has been amazing to watch. You all accepted 12tflops for Xbox when you thought the PS5 was 13 or 14 tflops. When it gets leaked that MAYBE the PS5 is only 9tflops, then all of a sudden the 12 tflops of Xboxs mustn't really be true, so you try to imply that its some mystical "GCN" flops rather than the "RDNA" flops, of which there is no such thing.
Remember when Jensen Huang said 2080mq is stronger than next gen console. He might be referring it to PS5 lol.

9.6tf vs 9.2tf

If you created accounts just to jump in here and try and troll with console wars, please let me know.

Otherwise, keep the warz bait out of this thread and enjoy your stay.

Those of you saying that those leaks mentioning Ariel and Oberon have nothing to do with Sony or Playstation, there were clocks configurations that matched those on the Ps4 (800mhz) and the Ps4 (911) plus another configuration set at 2.000Mhz (called native).

There's a relation to Sony machines definately.

Penello is on Resetera right now:

I would define "tapeout" as the ready-to-manufacture silicon. This would be final production ready silicon that is ready to mass-produce in volumes.

That generally happens very shortly before launch - typically less than a year. In fact, Scorpio tapeout IIRC happened in March 2017. Bringup (or the first piece of manufactured silicon that can be put in prototype boxes) came in December 2016 (so about a little less than a year before launch).

Phil has tweeted that they had takehome units shortly before Christmas, which by my estimation would mean they are past bringup, but prior to tapeout, but actually ahead of schedule relative to Scorpio which was a pretty smooth process. So I would say things seem to be going well.

Highly unlikely that any changes would be able to be done with either console at this point, unless two things are true.

1. The exterior case and cooling design can handle whatever increases they would like to implement (could be CU's, could be clock speed but either way it's more heat)
2. They are seeing much better yields than anticipated and can meet their launch volume targets and long-term cost reduction goals.

Basically, at this point the consoles that are shipping are the ones that both companies have been planning to ship for at least a year, unless they delay the launch (and eat a ton of sunk costs) or had build in the ability to react to any bumps in performance in advance.

bitbydeath

You asked for proof these codenames are connected to XBox/PS5. You were provided proof. Oberon's BC modes matching the clocks of PS4/pro is another proof. At this point you are just trolling.

The proof was already provided by Rogame, what more do you want?
You cannot just selectively choose to believe some things he says and not others.

MadAnon

The proof was already provided by Rogame, what more do you want?
You cannot just selectively choose to believe some things he says and not others.
Wth are you talking about? You (not me) just said those codenames have no connection to XBox or PS5.

Last edited:

Racer!

We aren't using the TFs number in the most literal way possible. That's what you want to do and that's fine. We gamers are more focused on a console or GPU's ability to performance tasks. So if the PS5 is a 10 TF RDNA2 console, it makes sense to let people know that it will be similar to a 13 TF GCN GPU (Nvidia 2080Ti).

Great. But you cant do the math Phil Spencer is talking about on that.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
That was Seamus Blackley at Xbox that said that. Sony may have also believed it but never said it on record IIRC.

No, Nikkei Electronics Wire said it:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom