• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Has anything changed for us to think XSX isn't 12TF other than a belief that it can't be better than PS5? It seems like 2 days ago 12TF was just about confirmed

It was never confirmed.

12TF comes from people who say they have spoke to their sources.

Sources have stated that both are the same in other or one being more powerful than the other (more powerful or slightly).

bitbydeath

Even DF sources say its navi 12 So - s

Navi 12 would be correct if this chart is anything to go by since it mentions the 5800 i’m expecting them to be based off.

images

If PS5 gpu ends up being equeivalent or even slightly better (according to some insiders and myself) than the series X, TimDog/MisterXMedia should be absolutely banned forever from any gaming discussion community for being an agitator who hás nothing to add other than flames, drama, useless troll posts from many of his accounts popping up out of nowhere
Thats like saying if Xbox S X ends up with 12 flops RDNA then people like you should be banned for agitating by saying it was GCN flops. It's silly.
People have opinions about what specs the consoles will have. We have no power over what GPUs either Sony or MS will put on their consoles.
Its fun to speculate, but don't link it to who you are.
It will be what it is.
My personal opinion is that I think MS will have the most powerful console. I think they have to if they want to improve this gen over Sony. I dont think Sony needs to have that crown.
I think the Xbox will be 12 tflops of RDNA, like most leaks have been.
I dont know what PS5 will be. I think it will have Ray tracing on the GPU and I expect it to be within 10% of the Xbox.

But if it turns out the other way around, oh well.

Navi 12 would be correct if this chart is anything to go by since it mentions the 5800 i’m expecting them to be based off.

images
My source, very good one, navi10, 12 tflop. Navi12 wont be in either X or Ps im told. I was also told we will learn more about this so maybe x could be navi12? Doubt but interesting piece there

Last edited:
Thats like saying if Xbox S X ends up with 12 flops RDNA then people like you should be banned for agitating by saying it was GCN flops. It's silly.
People have opinions about what specs the consoles will have. We have no power over what GPUs either Sony or MS will put on their consoles.
It will be what it is.
My personal opinion is that I think MS will have the most powerful console. I think they have to if they want to improve this gen over Sony. I dont think Sony needs to have that crown.
I dont know what PS5 will be. I think it will have Ray tracing on the GPU and I expect it to be within 10% of the Xbox.

Sorry, but that doesnt amply to me tho since I always supported that to be true and wanted It to be true. I want both to be as powerfull as they can be at 499 dollars Max price

As anyone has preference and that IS Fine, If one of the two would have tô have the Edge, I want It to be ps5, but not at the level of Xbox one vs PS4 as this is not Very good for the industry.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, Nikkei Electronics Wire said it:

Bill Gates himself said it too.

Gates said the 3-D chips in the Xbox would be three times faster than anything on the market and offer nearly unlimited graphical visuals.

"We're approaching the level of detail seen in Toy Story 2," he said, referring to the computer-generated kids film from Disney/Pixar.
"Game developers will finally be able to develop games as they can visualize it in their minds, without having restrictions placed on them due to performance."

Last edited:
So a question to anyone who knows about how this stuff works.

Say that the PS5 GPU is in fact 36 cu and is rated at 9.2 tflops.
If they were then to add Ray tracing acceleration to the GPU, would this addition increase the compute power of the GPU? Or would it have to be powered by the 9.2 tflops?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It will be what it is.

This post screams fanboyism.

DF gave us information how it could be the case, but you and your friends ignore it.

If you guys want to have a rational discussion, then understand people are discussing rumors.

So if you want to go by your word and it is in fact based off of GCN number, then you should be banned for jumping on forum members who suggest that may in fact be the case.

Deal?

Reactions: TLZ
Some people only want to own the most powerful console. But then of course they make excuses as to why they don’t have an X.

Some people want a 13+TF PS5 because they want Sony first party studios ran wild with it, not because they want the most powerful machine on the planet. You have PC for that. But if it's 9TF, then it's ok too. Still plenty of power for GoW, HZD, and Spidey. :messenger_sunglasses:

If XSX ends up being more powerful, then hats off to MS. I hope you get more fun out of it. I hope MS release a good game though, because I might end up buying them on my PC. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Nobody knows yet though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
To be perfectly honest, while my plan is to own both consoles day one with PlayStation 5 being my primary console and Xbox 4 being my secondary console (and Switch Pro being my tertiary console), if the power, specs and capabilities are far better on Xbox 4 than PlayStation 5, then Xbox 4 will become my primary console while PlayStation 5 will be secondary. If the difference is minimal (X vs Pro), then I'll stay with PlayStation 5 as my primary.

To be perfectly honest, while my plan is to own both consoles day one with PlayStation 5 being my primary console and Xbox 4 being my secondary console (and Switch Pro being my tertiary console), if the power, specs and capabilities are far better on Xbox 4 than PlayStation 5, then Xbox 4 will become my primary console while PlayStation 5 will be secondary. If the difference is minimal (X vs Pro), then I'll stay with PlayStation 5 as my primary.

Don't worry. Cerny got you. :messenger_fistbump:

I think Sony knows that hardcore fans want power. And they are big time spenders on PSN. If there will be differences in power between the console it will be minimal. No loading times and accessibility will be a major advertising point next-gen said Jason Schreir. I feel the same.

Mod of War: Remastered

👻🎃☠️
Staff Member
Man, seriously, the TimDog retarted crew made so much biased assumptions about PS4 with these code names Komachi or whatever is his name pubblished that sounds straight out sick fanboyism

The Guy under the blue name doesnt even suggest an under 9.2tf rdna, he straight out said ps5 was a fucking 8tf gcn or old rdna without any Ray tracing technology.

How much of a sick fanboy troll You can be to support that and treat Sony as being this amatuer after so much ownage Xbox got from Sony during ALL theses years ?

Cerny clearly claimed Ray tricing accelerators in ps5 gpu to a big, importante gaming website so How the fuck those tests can fit into what is definetly being purpposed for ps5 since a long time ? It doesnt make any sense that Sony would not invest in a gpu powerful enough with mordern architecture to support the most hyped up gaming tech of ALL times, specially when Cerny straight out said its there so no need for needless troll discussion.

Lay off the personal attacks and FFS everyone in here trolling and console warring, knock it off.

I have had to repeat myself more in the past week or two than any other time before that.

If anyone wants to volunteer for a thread or site ban, it would save me the trouble of checking back in a page or two since that’s the confidence level I have about this thread right now.

Dargor

Lay off the personal attacks and FFS everyone in here trolling and console warring, knock it off.

I have had to repeat myself more in the past week or two than any other time before that.

If anyone wants to volunteer for a thread or site ban, it would save me the trouble of checking back in a page or two since that’s the confidence level I have about this thread right now.

I wish warnings were enough, but they'll just wait till you turn your back :messenger_pensive:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We got a long way, as far as im concerned i see wait till this and we will get answers. I dont think we might even get tflop answer till the very end. We will get the new features talked about

I can see this happening with the architecture efficiency messing with the overall TF count compared to GCN. Not to mention the SSD I/O features and the like are a much bigger deal/game changer for both boxes and gaming as a whole from consoles to PC, personally.

Last edited:

Racer!

So a question to anyone who knows about how this stuff works.

Say that the PS5 GPU is in fact 36 cu and is rated at 9.2 tflops.
If they were then to add Ray tracing acceleration to the GPU, would this addition increase the compute power of the GPU? Or would it have to be powered by the 9.2 tflops?

Depends on implementation. AMD will present RDNA 2.0 at CES.

They have some patents on this. A "hybrid" solution where hw ray tracing is "baked" into the cu`s. In that case those tflops/compute would "include" ray tracing.

However, the kind of operations you need to do with ray tracing/pathtracing (calculate ray intersections and bounding volume hierarchy`s (BVH)) and denoising, differ somewhat from typical rasterization in type (integer/float) and precision (single/double precision float etc).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Here's a question.

So PS5 and SeX have super fast SSD drives. Sounds great. And they'll probably be 1 tb.

So let's say you got another 2 tb of games on an external HDD hooked up to the console via a USB cable.

What happens to loading times for those games installed on the external drive?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

They have some patents on this. A "hybrid" solution where hw ray tracing is "baked" into the cu`s. In that case those tflops/compute would "include" ray tracing.

However, the kind of operations you need to do with ray tracing/pathtracing (calculate ray intersections and bounding volume hierarchy`s (BVH)) and denoising differ somewhat from typical rasterization in type (integer/float) and precision (single/double precision float etc).

Wonder if they’ll go to the vector unit route or would that not work out on modern GPUs?

We know rays perform very well on vector units, and any super high fill rate/multi pass instruction, and they love high bandwidth/ghz.

Could explain the rumored high clocks for the boxes.

quest

Not Banned from OT

However, the kind of operations you need to do with ray tracing/pathtracing (calculate ray intersections and bounding volume hierarchy`s (BVH)) and denoising differ somewhat from typical rasterization in type (integer/float) and precision (single/double precision float etc).
I must be remembering wrong I thought it was some half baked solution that was with the TMUs mostly. The hybrid software part would be compute using CUs or something like that.

Racer!

Wonder if they’ll go to the vector unit route or would that not work out on modern GPUs?

We know rays perform very well on vector units, and any super high fill rate/multi pass instruction, and they love high bandwidth/ghz.

Could explain the rumored high clocks for the boxes.

They could. Its a matter of getting the most out of every transistor for most developers though.

Here's a question.

So PS5 and SeX have super fast SSD drives. Sounds great. And they'll probably be 1 tb.

So let's say you got another 2 tb of games on an external HDD hooked up to the console via a USB cable.

This man asking the right questions. If what im Understand, ppl arent gonna be happy about this, is all that stuff the advantages they talked about, pause resume 2 games , etc, those features are strictly within the internal ssd pool. Thats my understanding. Take with a grain of salt tho

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This man asking the right questions. If what im Understand, ppl arent gonna be happy about this, is all that stuff the advantages they talked about, pause resume 2 games , etc, those features are strictly within the internal ssd pool. Thats my understanding. Take with a grain of salt tho

Yeah, we discussed this in the past in here and some theories are that they will either load into the SSD as you play to take full advantage (like transferring it over first), or you can still play on the USB drive, just don’t expect all the features (and old load times), for obvious reasons.

Yeah, we discussed this in the past in here and some theories are that they will either load into the SSD as you play to take full advantage (like transferring it over first), or you can still play on the USB drive, just don’t expect all the features (and old load times), for obvious reasons.
Yeah makes sense. Ppl i talked to at e3 told me there is little stuff they have trepidation about. Like durability of ssd in general. I guess no swapping this memory and i have heard ssd by nature doesnt have the longest hw life. I also heard tho that has changed recently. I guess getting extended warranty might be something to look @

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah makes sense. Ppl i talked to at e3 told me there is little stuff they have trepidation about. Like durability of ssd in general. I guess no swapping this memory and i have heard ssd by nature doesnt have the longest hw life. I also heard tho that has changed recently. I guess getting extended warranty might be something to look @

Endurance was a concern, but one thing to keep in mind, well several, they are improving big time on that, and playing of the games doesn’t write to the drive so it will have no impact on the overall endurance.

Swapping games in and out and patches is where the writes will be, but again, iMac and MacBooks as well as all other high end computers are ditching mechanical for SSDs, and they do far more rewrites on the daily.

I don’t think it’ll be an issue for your average gamer in that regards.

Edit:
Example, I believe a 1TB 860 Evo has 600TBW endurance. That means you will have to do a full 600 terabytes of writes before the drive says “no more”.

That would be uninstalling and reinstalling RDR2 almost 6,000 times. I think we will be fine in that regards.

Last edited:

MaulerX

This is just my opinion here based on what I'm seeing but...

Ever since Dealer (via video) and Windows Central (article) dropped the 12TF Scarlett number (now officially Xbox Series X) close to a month ago, and recently Digital Foundry hearing the same 12TF number from their own sources... The news around the internet and YouTube is about how powerful the Series X is. All the while the silence from Sony is deafening. Deafening to the point that you start wondering, why would they let this news go on if it weren't true? Why not let loose a controlled leak to try and combat it? Nothing.

And as days and weeks have gone by, we get news like what we got from the data miner. Pretty much cementing the narrative that was formed. And again, not a peep from Sony. All the while Phil Spencer is running around with confidence telling everyone they believe to have the power crown again.

Just my opinion but it's starting to become somewhat obvious at this point.

I have another question, while we're at it. It's no coincidence that MS is shifting away from 'traditional' console design with the XSX, because they need room inside the thing to cool the 12TF beast properly. They've already proven with the X that they are very competent when it comes to this (cooling efficiently, that is). How are some people then exspecting the PS5 to be both a) smaller in size and b) more powerful or even at the same performance level at the same time? Isn't that physically impossible? Now, what do people think is more probable: Sony releasing a traditional box, or Sony releasing a huge hulking PC-like tower like MS is doing with the XSX?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry. Cerny got you. :messenger_fistbump:

I think Sony knows that hardcore fans want power. And they are big time spenders on PSN. If there will be differences in power between the console it will be minimal. No loading times and accessibility will be a major advertising point next-gen said Jason Schreir. I feel the same.

I'm expecting the power difference to be 52%-48% in favor of Xbox 4. In other words, minimal. Now, if it happens to be a big difference which will be based on if/when Sony reveals the actual/final specs or if they give a quick rundown without going into detail and just say $400. If PS5 is $400, then I know that the console is much weaker because I don't see Sony taking a loss and if they do, it will be minimal.

When you say "internal SSD", you mean like Xbox One where it can't be accessed and removed/replaced? An internal SSD is obviously confirmed but I know that many gamers will most likely replace it with a bigger/faster SSD. For my PS4 Pro, I removed the 1TB HDD and replaced it with the Samsung EVO 850 1TB SSD. So again, will accessing and removing/replacing the SSD be possible? Thanks.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have another question, while we're at it. It's no coincidence that MS is shifting away from 'traditional' console design with the XSX, because they need room inside the thing to cool the 12TF beast properly. They've already proven with the X that they are very competent when it comes to this (cooling efficiently, that is). How are some people then exspecting the PS5 to be both a) smaller in size and b) more powerful or even at the same performance level at the same time? Isn't that physically impossible? Now, what do people think is more probable: Sony releasing a traditional box, or Sony releasing a huge hulking PC-like tower like MS is doing with the XSX?

The XSX is actually not as big as it looks. It’s just the width and height are the same 6” so it seems that way. The length is only 12”, which is no longer than a PS3 Super Slim, and that thing is small.

The PS5 will probably be shaped differently, but have a similar overall mass.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Here's a question.

We really don't know how it will work. My guess is that consoles will have both SSD (soldered to MB, ~500GB) and HDD, console will keep recently played games on SSD and manage the space when needed (delete/copy etc.).

The PS5 will probably be shaped differently, but have a similar overall mass.

That would be my suspicion as well. But it would mean that Sony departs from traditionally sized boxes. Yes, the XSX isn't as big as it might seem at first glance (its significantly smaller than a mini-ITX build), but it's still a LOT bigger (cubic centimeters) than a PS4, a Dreamcast or an N64.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That would be my suspicion as well. But it would mean that Sony departs from traditionally sized boxes. Yes, the XSX isn't as big as it might seem at first glance (its significantly smaller than a mini-ITX build), but it's still a LOT bigger (cubic centimeters) than a PS4, a Dreamcast or an N64.

Yeah, I wonder how the cooling solution/patent will play into the design, and if it will mirror the setup in the V devkit, at least internally.

Now that MS showed Scarlet, it’s making everyone more eager for Sony’s form factor reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom