• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceofspades

Banned
PS3 was behind 360 for most of the generation. Sure PS5 could outsell Xbox at $399, but can it outsell Lockhart if it's $299? $200 difference is a lot. They might still win in the end in terms of overall sales, but Xbox will surely be a big winner and attract a huge chunk of casual market with such an aggressive price. I don't know, the $499 PS5 doesn't make too much sense to me.

Not true at all, PS3 has outsold 360 the entire generation WW. How in the hell PS3 was able to catch a +10m sales deficit from launching a year later (year and half in EU) to surpassing 360 in the end?

TLZ

Banned
I wouldn't mind Xbox SX be more than 14tf and cost more. If they have a cheap Lockhart, then they can push a more expensive one imo.

MS has more room for upclocking.

That said, I don't think either company will. They'll run into bandwidth limitations.
Yep beast, your
Butchered? Looks here to have sold consistently better than 360 in 360 land. In Europe it probably did even better.

annual-sales-us-2005-2013.png

V4skunk

Banned
When people are saying "Both consoles have similar specs", this could still mean PS5 is 9.2tflops.
Let's look at it.

XSX
CPU - Zen 3, 8 Core, 16 threads 3.2-3.5ghz
GPU - Navi RDNA - 12 tflops
RAM - 16gbs GDDR 6
Storage - 1tb SSD
Ray Tracing on GPU
VRS on GPU

PS5
CPU - Zen 3, 8 Core, 16 threads 3.2-3.5ghz
GPU - Navi RDNA - 9.2 tflops
RAM - 16gbs GDDR 6
Storage - 1tb SSD
Ray Tracing on GPU
VRS on GPU

With all due respect, those two consoles have very similar specs.
Dude 9tf vs 12tf is like 2060 vs 2080ti.

PS3 was behind 360 for most of the generation. Sure PS5 could outsell Xbox at $399, but can it outsell Lockhart if it's $299? $200 difference is a lot. They might still win in the end in terms of overall sales, but Xbox will surely be a big winner and attract a huge chunk of casual market with such an aggressive price. I don't know, the $499 PS5 doesn't make too much sense to me.

You're making waay to many presumptions. First, a $299 is speculative at best and in my opinion, unreasonable for what the console potentially contains. Compared to the Xbox One X which still contains an MSRP of $499 two years after launch, lockhart will contain a new generation RDNA GPU, a significant jump in CPU, a faster RAM setup that is only slightly less than Series X & an SSD for $299? That's wishful thinking & the price of the One X only proves that.

FYI, I don't believe a 9.2TF PS5 will result in a $399 price if all other components are in parity with Series X either. I don't claim to be an expert on the bills of materials but price cannot scale linear like that just based of GPU tflops alone. PS5 will have to be reduced in other areas compared to the series X (limited RT features, less ram. etc) for Sony to undercut MS $100.

And casuals don't only care about the entry level price of a console. Library matters as well & the first 1-2 years it is always limited. Cross gen will still be a thing for a couple years at least and big titles will release on current gen consoles. Not to mention Lockhart is rumored to be discless as well. You don't think casuals care about buying cheap/older titles at Wal Mart, trade or sell their games? It's easy to imagine a casual looking at lockhart with a limited library with all $60 full price titles & just wait for the Series X or PS5 to get cheaper so can have the option to buy their physical games if desired.

Lort

Banned
You do realize the switch is almost outselling or already outsold Xbox One right?
You realize that nintendo want from having 2 markets into 1 and it is currently outselling playstation right?

Also despitehuge advantages ie cheaper price, being released first and twice the userbase the pro is barely beating xbox one x if at all.

It matters and if a girl tells you it doesn't shes lying.

Reindeer

Not true at all, PS3 has outsold 360 the entire generation WW. How in the hell PS3 was able to catch a +10m sales deficit from launching a year later (year and half in EU) to surpassing 360 in the end?
Yes you are right, I must have been including that lead Xbox had in the beginning. The sales were still very close with PlayStation selling 1-2 million units more every year. This was still a big drop for Sony coming from PS2 and they cannot afford for it to happen again. This is why I stand by $399 price to be sandwiched in between the two Microsoft consoles.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I actually misread that chart, my bad.

But WW if I remember correctly PS3 outsold 360 every year?!
I don't have reference charts, but considering how big the 360 lead gap was just based off the early US sales, I don't think PS3 total global sales outsold 360 until maybe 3-4 years in. Then PS3 outsold 360, so it roughly evened out at the end.

Strong start by 360, strong finish by PS3.

Last edited:

Racer!

Yes you are right, I must have been including that lead Xbox had in the beginning. The sales were still very close with PlayStation selling 1-2 million units more every year. This was still a big drop for Sony coming from PS2 and they cannot afford for it to happen again. This is why I stand by $399 price to be sandwiched in between the two Microsoft consoles.

If you look at the sale proposition it should have sold even worse than it did. Lower performance for higher price is not an easy sell!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's a Europe only article from 2008.

360 sales were so big in the US, it took a while for rest of countries to catch up and eventually surpass the lead 360 had over PS3 in the US (and Canada and UK too).

Pretty sure the two biggest markets for consoles is US and UK. 360 had both I believe. And the leads were so big, it took a ton of other countries added up to eventually even out with PS3 by 2013.

Last edited:
Both are custom RDNA derivatives for christ sake guys.

Its how custom APUs for consoles have always worked. Thats why PS4 Pro is Polaris based with Vega features. They CAN use and abuse anything AMD has on roadmap and put it on chip.

You dont actually take PC card and make an SOC for console out of it.

Oberon regression didnt show RT because it wasnt even a point of test, not because RT is not there.
That's all well and good, but what does that have to do with Navi 12?
That chip specifically uses HBM2.

Nothing I said, contradicts you.

Racer!

That's a Europe only article from 2008.

360 sales were so big in the US, it took a while for rest of countries to catch up and eventually surpass the lead 360 had over PS3 in the US (and Canada and UK too).

Pretty sure the two biggest markets for consoles is US and UK. 360 had both I believe. And the leads were so big, it took a ton of other countries added up to eventually even out with PS3 by 2013.

Difference first year in in US was just 2 million, and they caught up with 360 at 5 million in Europe (including UK I presume, as he said throughout Europe) in little over a year, and Asia/Japan Im sure they owned. Pretty sure they outsold 360 WW with quite a bit even at $599. So it was not butchered at all.

It was not a good launch though, that I`ll agree. But many reasons contributed to that.

Last edited:
56CU at 1700MHz? It is hard to believe, because the chip will not just be very hot, it will also eat as not in itself. 450W power supply? Oh, a lot of things don't add up. Most likely the ceiling will be 1600MHz, - this can be achieved by slightly increasing the voltage. As for the PS5 chip, 36CU for backward compatibility and exorbitant frequencies to achieve the highest possible performance within such a modest configuration. It makes perfect sense to me.

Actually hmqgg and I were in agreement for RDNA2 until recently. 😂.

The only thing left for Xsx to confirm is latest ram amount and bw.

I don't buy that MS is not using RDNA2. They quite specifically said in the reveal that they are using the "next generation RDNA architecture", not just customized current gen RDNA or something like that.

Powered by our custom-designed processor leveraging the latest Zen 2 and next generation RDNA architecture from our partners at AMD, Xbox Series X will deliver hardware accelerated ray tracing and a new level of performance never before seen in a console.

I think they were far too specific with this one and it probably wasn't an accident.

Proelite

I don't buy that MS is not using RDNA2. They quite specifically said in the reveal that they are using the "next generation RDNA architecture", not just customized current gen RDNA or something like that.

I think they were far too specific with this one and it probably wasn't an accident.

I agree. But i think next gen RDNA and RDNA 2 might be different.

Era was crying for Klee, Klee never showed up.

They started to doubt all insiders that said it was close (as per doc, it really is close) and asking "why is no one speaking. Matt??"

And after 2 days Matt shows up with incredibly vague non statement that can be literally taken as sarcasm or "this info is no good".

Obviously, if you are fake insider like Era guys are, you have to take a good care and alot of time to put out vague statements regarding this burning issue. Now, there will be peace on era...
Why such bitterness? I thought u were neutral ?
Certain Xbox fans love pretending to be neutral which is a very weird trait for plastic box . Just say I like Xbox and this is what I hope happens to ps. No need to hide behind anything bro 😂

Gudji

Era was crying for Klee, Klee never showed up.

They started to doubt all insiders that said it was close (as per doc, it really is close) and asking "why is no one speaking. Matt??"

And after 2 days Matt shows up with incredibly vague non statement that can be literally taken as sarcasm or "this info is no good".

Obviously, if you are fake insider like Era guys are, you have to take a good care and alot of time to put out vague statements regarding this burning issue. Now, there will be peace on era...

What a silly post.

Klee already told what he had to say. And so far with the official details we have, the info he provided is matching - other than lockhart, which everyone (including other insiders) thought it was dead.

Also regarding Matt he's a dev, he works directly with the hardware, he's the one that knows more than everyone else on ERA or in HERE. And just because he's not saying the things you like that doesn't make him fake.

To me it just sounds like you're salty as F. lmao

Matt doesn't know anything. He is the worst "fake insider" of the entire bunch

Of all insiders he's the most reliable so you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Why such bitterness? I thought u were neutral ?
Certain Xbox fans love pretending to be neutral which is a very weird trait for plastic box . Just say I like Xbox and this is what I hope happens to ps. No need to hide behind anything bro 😂
Read my post about Era. I am bitter towards era for many reason, one is perma baning me after 5-6 years on GAF back then in 2014 😅

This Oberon leak was amazing for Sony :

1- if it’s 9.2 everyone will be used to it by reveal so it won’t drawn the reveal

2-if it’s not 9.2 and higher Sony will have another 8gb moment for their conference.

win - win for them imo

everything will go to shit if it’s lower than 9 TF though ( God forbid )😂I would even go crazy if I see anything resembling 8 😂😂

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

From the AMD press release about the Microsoft Project partnership: https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2019/06/09/amd-powers-microsoft-project-scarlett

a "Navi" GPU based on next-generation Radeon™ RDNA gaming architecture including hardware-accelerated raytracing.

From your Xbox link:

Powered by our custom-designed processor leveraging the latest Zen 2 and next generation RDNA architecture from our partners at AMD, Xbox Series X will deliver hardware accelerated ray tracing and a new level of performance never before seen in a console.

A subtle but significant difference? But also if it was RDNA2 then these PRs (including Sony) would list it has such. I expect it is RDNA with RDNA2 features and RT plus maybe even roadmap RDNA 3 featues we don't even know about yet.

Aceofspades

Banned
This Oberon leak was amazing for Sony :

1- if it’s 9.2 everyone will be used to it by reveal so it won’t drawn the reveal

2-if it’s not 9.2 and higher Sony will have another 8gb moment for their conference.

win - win for them imo

On the flip side its a huge risk for MS:

1- if it’s NOT 12TF everyone will raise hell and accuse them of misleading .

2-if it’s 12TF and higher everyone will be , yeah we knew that already.

But they needed to do that imo. The whole talk of next gen was around ps5. Even e3 video of Scarlett didn’t gather too much traction due to the whole me2 after Sony article .
But their game award reveal gained a good traction . So I count that as a win for them.

Maybe something on there for PS 1/2/3 compatibility? 🤷‍♀️
Highly doubt but if they can get ps3 up and running they need an award lol that thing was a mess and ps4 jag were weaker than ps3 cell . So it was impossible to emulate it. Let’s see if ps5 can immulate cell. That strong messy architecture lol

12Dannu123

I've seen this a few times

Its questionable if Sony designed PS4 OS and PS4 hardware with future BC in mind. Xbox Consoles and Xbox OS were designed with future BC in mind. Sony's solution to BC sounds very complicated and not standard.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Highly doubt but if they can get ps3 up and running they need an award lol that thing was a mess and ps4 jag were weaker than ps3 cell . So it was impossible to emulate it. Let’s see if ps5 can immulate cell. That strong messy architecture lol

Something's taking up that space...

Something's taking up that space...
Yea that’s the weird part . At this point I ll be fucking shocked if ps5 is higher than 36 cu . I mean i ll be shocked if Sony and amd managed to hide the APU from the test data base.

from another side I ll be fucking shocked to see a retail console with 2 ghz.

So my gut is telling me something is off (apu is hidden )or ps5 will be 8TF 😂
I ll fucking go insane if ps5 is below 9. God give me strength if that happens 😂😂

and if ps5 is 8 to 9 TF why the fuck CEO of Sony was saying PS5 is targeted at people who like the highest most advanced technology?Lol(8 to 9 TF is amd 2019 line up and not the latest /greatest in 2020)

I m so conflicted with this whole scenario.

Last edited:

DJ12

Imagine if ps5 is 9.2 TFs and actual has more power than the Xbox with its supposed 12 like all the insiders are stating and ms is just perpetrating the fanboy message that it's 12 rnda flops when in fact it's 9.

There has to be a reason Phil didn't confirm when asked directly by a shilling partner if it was 12 tflops given he said twice the GPU power of Xbox one X.

Obviously this is just one scenario that could play out. That is if you believe people commenting from a position of knowledge is sourced from people actually writing games on both machines rather than people putting all there stock in twitter fame hunters and leaked documents they have absolutely no context for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom