• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

R600

Banned
isnt radon 7 more powerful than 5700xt? that doesn't make sense and ariel gpu is 5700 clocked to hell which makes it even more confusing
Radeon 7 at 13.7TF is ~3-4% faster then regular 5700xt (9.5TF at sustainable clocks).

If you are delivering big silver dev kits like Wired mentioned, and you deliver them in late 2018/ early this year, where do you get 13TF Navi? If you had it back then, why not release console this year?

13TF Vega ~ 36CU Navi at 2.0GHz.

With VRS that card easily beats Radeon 7 (13.7TF card, one which we would kill for back in January)

Radeon VII is faster then 5700XT by few percent (depending on a game). Certainly, if you had to deliver dev kits in late 2018 early 2019 you would do so with 13TF Vega card, no? Its pretty much a match.

And yes, Navi hits BW limit, but as per AMD repo leak, BW for Oberon is higher then PC counterpart (530GB/s vs 448GB/s). I think final PS5 will have 544-576GB/s on 256bit bus (with 18Gbps chips from Samsung)

This would explain 20k+ FS leak and this would explain why late 2018 and early 2019 Sony already sent dev kits and these were reported as 13TF ones.

The Radeon VII is nearly 15% faster on average at 4K, than the 5700XT. That is the fully enabled 40CU die. Radeon VII is in another league to the 36CU 5700 base. Even if you flash the XT bios onto the base 5700 to go past the frequency cap, it still is slower than a base XT, which is slower than a Radeon VII.

That all aside, the Radeon VII does fit in rather nicely. It (or some other variant of Vega 20) probably was used as an early devkit.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

ZywyPL

Banned
Sony might as well do a soft reveal of PS5 during CES. Catch the attention of all the business-y people and the world-wide audience that are the consumers. Then do a proper reveal and a showcase of games in March or February. Even out the hype and manage expectations that way.

They have been showing GT:S in 8K 120FPS already some time ago, and since CES is mostly all about TVs, they could indeed show their 2020 8K Bravia lineup with that demo again, but this time running from actual PS5 connected to the TVs. No info/specs, just the case of the console, but such demo would easily put all the TF talk down.

R600

Banned
The Radeon VII is nearly 15% faster on average at 4K, than the 5700XT. That is the fully enabled 40CU die. Radeon VII is in another league to the 36CU 5700 base. Even if you flash the XT bios onto the base 5700 to go past the frequency cap, it still is slower than a base XT, which is slower than a Radeon VII.

That all aside, the Radeon VII does fit in rather nicely. It (or some other variant of Vega 20) probably was used as an early devkit.
Few things we need to clarify first I think.

1. Radeon 7 has much higher BW then 5700, thats where biggest part of 4K deficit comes from. While 5700 and XT are capped at 448GB/s, R7 is at 1TB/s.

2. Oberon leak points to higher BW available then 448GB/s (more like 530GB/s).

2. Oberon is not 5700. Its 5700 clocked at 2.0GHz. This is therefore more 5700XT with more pixel fillrate then 5700 (still slightly down on 5700XT stock if XT is containing its boost clock).

I think biggest problem with 13TF dev kits from late 2018 and begining of a year were that there were no Navi cards anywere on the market, let alon ones even close to that number. And big silver tower indicates early PC hardware used to emulate whats going to come.

Tbh for me its still hard to believe 9.2TF Navi with VRS/RT at 2.0GHz or 12TF Navi in XSX. Its just very high...

Perhaps Sony and MS worked on these with AMD longer then AMD did on Navi 10 for destkop, therefore with more mature node they could eek out 10-15% on clocks.

Last edited:

MadAnon

Looks like those "insiders" are getting info from some devs that don't even have access to ins and outs of what's exactly inside those devkits but rather just some numbers like 13tf. Navi thing could just be some baseless extrapolation because next gen will be Navi. When in reality the numbers come from early vega20 devkit.

Would be interesting to hear from someone who has worked with devkits before release. How much data is actually available to see, does everyone in the studio actually know everything? I highly doubt it's that simple otherwise all the info about next gen would spread like wildfire from the moment the devkits are shipped. Instead we have vague, conflicting numbers coming from different "insiders".

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Would make for the perfect segway into the PS5. I don't mind something brief at all.
Its not a 'PS5 reveal' I speculating here mind you, but rather they just release a little more info about PS5 news that match the BRAVIA vision. Maybe even kill those recent rumors about 'no RT' that IDK why keep coming back after and after.

saintjules

Gold Member
Its not a 'PS5 reveal' I speculating here mind you, but rather they just release a little more info about PS5 news that match the BRAVIA vision. Maybe even kill those recent rumors about 'no RT' that IDK why keep coming back after and after.

I know, I was making a prediction on the segway comment.

THE:MILKMAN

I agree they could tease the reveal or talk about PS5's video capabilities (HDMI 2.1 etc) but I have to say I have my cynic's hat on when I see the blue PlayStation background used and the slogan similar to the PS4 PSM Tweet . Then Cory Barlog Tweets he's going. Sony PR know full well there is a big group of PS fans gagging for info so why wouldn't they take advantage to get them watching their CES stream showing off their other products?

Evilms

Banned

LFkiF9A.png

onQ123

From them saying PS5 is the easiest PlayStation to get games up & running on I'm thinking Ray-tracing is a big part of that because it's less work for the devs & artist. or PS5 has a really good compiler that will take whatever code they throw at it & get it running on PS5 hardware.

Evilms

Banned

9.2TF vs 12TF ?
Testing data from AMD recently leaked giving us some hint of the technical make-up of the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X. So what has been revealed, how accurate is the leak likely to be and how could the new Sony and Microsoft console possibly compare? The leak looks genuine, but take any analysis with just a pinch of salt. Regardless - here's what we think.

V4skunk

Banned
From them saying PS5 is the easiest PlayStation to get games up & running on I'm thinking Ray-tracing is a big part of that because it's less work for the devs & artist. or PS5 has a really good compiler that will take whatever code they throw at it & get it running on PS5 hardware.
It's easy to develop for because it is x86 like the PS4..........

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

There is much, much more to it than that. You can have lackluster toolchains and still be a pain on x86-64, taking more time and frustration having to build better tools in-house.

If the console makers provide excellent toochains, then it alleviates a lot of time and stress for your customization's, etc..

R600

Banned
"indepenently verified sources"

"Regression test for Oberon does not mention VRS and RT, but it doesnt mean its not there, just that it was not part of the test"

Hmm

Lendor

Or maybe he doesn't want to say a specific number now in case PS5 tf were increased and MS pushed the speed further just to get that power edge, even if slight. Why lock things down now when the competition is trying to edge you out? Keep it as late as you possibly can.

Exactly, theres's no reason to commit to a specific number now.

Reactions: TLZ

onQ123

He said a level never seen before

"The PS3 era was one of the toughest times in SIE's 25-year history”, the former PlayStation President told Dengeki. “The difficulty in developing games was noticeable.”

According to Yoshida, the PS5 is on a level never seen before when it comes to the ease of developing games. “[The ease] of making software [for the PS5] is at a level never [seen before]”.

"If the difficulty of hardware becomes the hurdle to overcome, [developers can’t] concentrate on making games. Anyway, hardware makes it easier to create games so you can spend more time creating games."

DJ12

I don’t believe that scenario . Why would he want that type of backlash around the time console would launch ? ( when spec data is put out )

No company wants such negative press around their brand new hardware launch.

Xsx is 12 RDna tf

book it

they r not mentioning numbers because that would make XSS look bad next to XSx . They don’t want to devalue their best selling version
As they haven't said 12 tflops they would face no backlash at all, the only backlash would be against those pushing the 12 tflops.

Ms would always have an out as it's not down to them how people report leaks or interpret vague comments.

"indepenently verified sources"

"Regression test for Oberon does not mention VRS and RT, but it doesnt mean its not there, just that it was not part of the test"

Hmm
But it specifically mentions its not there for raytracing and vrs. Not that it is not mentioned . It is mentioned that it’s not available

sinnergy

So now everyone will post parts of DF's video for a while until everyone is repeating themselves. Even though DF's video uses exactly the same sources as posted multiple times around here...
So.... still no news

Yes, he confirms these are true, but it could have changed a bit, I think it’s starting to become clear that PS5 is around 10 TF, people need to accept this.
Most funny part is MS could also have had access to these for the last 7 months ... and even Sony.

xool

Radeon 7 at 13.7TF is ~3-4% faster then regular 5700xt (9.5TF at sustainable clocks).

If you are delivering big silver dev kits like Wired mentioned, and you deliver them in late 2018/ early this year, where do you get 13TF Navi? If you had it back then, why not release console this year?

13TF Vega ~ 36CU Navi at 2.0GHz.

With VRS that card easily beats Radeon 7 (13.7TF card, one which we would kill for back in January)

Completely agree - this seems like the only sane conclusion.

.. also got to say I HATE the idea of VRS .. I play close up to monitor where I can actually see the difference between 4k/1080p etc *not 7ft away from 50" tv .. what VRS means to me is that everything but the center 1/5 or so will actually be 1080p maybe worse, with only a small center part being real 4k ..

I haven't seen it yet, but my expectation is that's going to obvious and annoying .. joining the ranks of piss filter, uneeded chromatic aberation, and motion blur .. I dunno maybe it will work .. Well at least it will be better than Stadia macroblocking. I hope.

MadAnon

You want to tell me that Klee has but DF guys don't have dev friends who could at least hint them target specs? But for some reason there's no definitive stance or confidence coming from DF that PS5 is aiming to be double digit TFs. I think this whole "I have dev friend which told me the specs" is bunch of crap.

Last edited:

Lendor

You want to tell me that Klee has but DF guys don't have dev friends who could at least hint them target specs? But for some reason there's no definitive stance or confidence coming from DF that PS5 is aiming to be double digit TFs. I think this whole "I have dev friend which told me the specs" is bunch of crap.
The thing is, if DF starts to leak the things they know already, they' have much more to lose than fucking Kleegamer.

Gamernyc78

Banned
You can’t create magic it’s all the same tech ... both implementations will be about the same. Won’t make up the difference in gpu and cpu crunch.

If ppl thought like tht they'd be no innovation. The basis for the tech can be similar but the modifications involved can make a big difference. These ppl have the best gaming and hardware engineers in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom