• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could've been this slow version...
3447-twitter-apu-image-0.png
This 1 ghz one is an engineering sample though. But again we are so out of context here that we could be making assumption after assumption

Pushing narratives that they know are inaccurate? Come again?

I was referring to DF. Someone said DF had more to lose if they leaked information from industry sources, I said, wouldn't it be just as bad to report inaccurate information if it contradicted what they knew from industry sources but were not saying. The idea that DF doesn't have contact with any developers is a bit odd.

Last edited:

Reindeer

this xbot makes me laugh. a full grown man gloating that xbox is more powerful. im posting this as we are all mature enough to laugh at this.

Colt, Dealer and Zalker are all serious fanboys. The worst thing is that they try to act like they're not fanboys because they own PlayStation consoles, but their bias is very obvious. Half of their RDX podcast is usually spent making fun of PlayStation fanboys and fanboy wars, so very immature and childish.

Darius87

It makes perfect sense. I think regression test is May, PCB leak was May 21st. V shaped dev kit was June, so actual APU was there.
actual die size would be much lower then one in PCB leak on 7nm EUV though on 7nm would be around 315nm like in PCB leak.

44alltheway

Colt, Dealer and Zalker are all serious fanboys. The worst thing is that they try to act like they're not fanboys because they own PlayStation consoles, but their bias is very obvious. Half of their RDX podcast is usually spent making fun of PlayStation fanboys and fanboy wars, so very immature and childish.
this 100%. I used to watch bits of that podcast as a guilty pleasure and they do this weird thing where they say since they own playstation products it means they aren't biased. Their xbox podcast spends much of its time talking about playstation news, which is probably because they want to mock it.

R600

Banned
the 2ghz on 5700 is even pushing it in pc form so I don’t even know how the hell they want to cool that in console form factor .Spending so much on cooling rather than 30$ on additional cu doesn’t make sense to me
I think you are missing few things :

1. Desktop Navi was chip finished at beginning of a year and first AMD Navi on 7nm node

2. It didnt have advantage of big customers like Sony and MS, and its almost certain they didnt have enough hands on to make sure it is as efficient and fast on N7 node as possible

3. Consoles will almost certainly be on N7P which is not EUV but extension of normal 7nm node. It does not require respin of chip and will result in 10% less watts at same performance.

4. A year in oven + mature node + N7P improvements + bigger budget can easily result in 36CU chip at 2.0GHz console pulling less then 220W from wall.

You also have to understand that 13TF console would almost certainly pull ~300W so its not so easy as you guys saiy "just go wider and slower".

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
The same. Despite a number of people who supposedly work in or have connections in the industry claiming comparable PS5 and XSX specs, the best info there is right now points at 9.2TF PS5 (with a number of assumptions), while people have been assuming 12TF XSX for a while, even without official explicit confirmation from MS.

So right now, we're looking at 9TF PS5 vs 12TF XSX.
What happened to the whole 13 teraflop thing for ps5

Mod of War: Remastered

👻🎃☠️
Staff Member
For what i can remember you got banned for console wars on resetera.

Not man child at all

Dial it back on this form of meta. Especially if you aren't going to take into account the forum and their ban behavior.

We have an Era thread.

R600

Banned
It seems that some people did not learn anything from the PS4/XBOX 720 in 2012. Mark Cerny is not a beginner.

When Sony will unveil the official specifications of the PS5, which will surely be at the top, some will speak Chinese.
Funny because PS4 was rather conservative all things consider. I mean, with leaked specs they are pushing it considerably more then with PS4. This console will pull at very least 200W from the wall, while PS4 was ~140W.

Thedtrain

A sub 10tf PlayStation will still be awesome, if true. The spec geek in me will probably force me to buy both, so well done MS. This generation has the potential to be the best ever.

edit: I still think we’re missing something. A 2Ghz console is asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Gamernyc78

Banned
I don't recall who speculated 13, but there never was such a leak.
There was a lot of talk of PS5 and XBox in the same ballpark with negligible differences, that's all.

Correction there was alot of talk from some reputable people that Ps5 was more powerful (Reiner, Matt, and a couple of others) although it was also stated that both consoles were in the same ballpark thus ppl inferring 13tf since 12tf is what ppl are guessing for nextbox.

Darius87

Flute shows 1/4 of Zen2 L3 cache (L3 cache is 45mm² of 75mm² Zen2 die size) so 251mm² 40CU chip + 40mm² + RT fits well into 316mm².
It will be on N7P so 10% watts at same perf
that's on 7nm on 7nm EUV it would be even smaller with free die space left why sony would make APU with unused space?
i calculated by reducing parts by 17% because of 7nmEUV from 5700 example(assuming more or less it's accurate) it would be:
zps60AZ.png

CPU = 1/4 L3 == 11.25mm² + 30mm² == 41.25mm²
Memory Cotrollers(EUV) == 54.1824 mm²
Work_Group(EUV) == 84.25800000000001 mm²(that's 20WG)(accounted for RT by 10%)
IO(EUV) == 31.3076 mm²
Front_End(EUV) == 38.727799999999995 mm²
Command_Unit(EUV) == 9.0055 mm²
total == 258.73130000000003mm²
315nm²(PCB leak) - 258.7nm²(total). == 56.3mm² left free space.

Reactions: Dim
It seems that some people did not learn anything from the PS4/XBOX 720 in 2012. Mark Cerny is not a beginner.

When Sony will unveil the official specifications of the PS5, which will surely be at the top, some will speak Chinese.

is there a law that says Sony will always be more powerful? LOL

Comparisons to last gen are moot, I don't think MS is wasting R&D $$ on a camera this time. Making the idea that Sony is guaranteed to be both more powerful and cheaper a bit foolish. Not to say that they aren't a bit ahead at the same price point.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Dial it back on this form of meta. Especially if you aren't going to take into account the forum and their ban behavior.

We have an Era thread.

we should be able to make fun of console wars on this thread. we are all adult enough.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
that's on 7nm on 7nm EUV it would be even smaller with free die space left why sony would make APU with unused space?
i calculated by reducing parts by 17% because of 7nmEUV from 5700 example(assuming more or less it's accurate) it would be:
zps60AZ.png

CPU = 1/4 L3 == 11.25mm² + 30mm² == 41.25mm²
Memory Cotrollers(EUV) == 54.1824 mm²
Work_Group(EUV) == 84.25800000000001 mm²(that's 20WG)(accounted for RT by 10%)
IO(EUV) == 31.3076 mm²
Front_End(EUV) == 38.727799999999995 mm²
Command_Unit(EUV) == 9.0055 mm²
total == 258.73130000000003mm²
315nm²(PCB leak) - 258.7nm²(total). == 56.3mm² left free space.
Im not going to pretend I know more than the basics, but couldn't there be custom co processors as well? or would those not be on the SOC?

A 2Ghz console is asking for trouble.
Not really. If you have been working on the design of a chip for high frequency for so many years, then this is tested for thousands of hours. Сerni said that the chip would be very fast and energy efficient at the same time. Is there any reason not to trust this? I don’t know, but all this was not meant to be fun and to get into problems, and leaks of internal tests say that 2GHz is a reality. How to use this information - decide for yourself.

Ovech-King

Well, coming from the ps4 pro , if the ps5 is twice the power of the Xbox one X from 2017 at 400$ , its quite the deal . Now, if the new Xbox is indeed more powerful by 30% , you can bet your arse that Sony will have a mid gen refresh ASAP

vpance

i don't know audio processor? maybe.

Audio is not going to take that much space. Besides they'll likely continue to use AMD TrueAudio or whatever that's already built in just like they did with PS4.

If 2.0GHz is true then it's on EUV. If it's on EUV you can fit a lot more CU than 36. That's all you have to know.

Reindeer

Hilarious if this is in response to DF, but if I looked at my own company, need to know details of a next gen product definitely wouldn't be known by the social media account lady
Why would he/she have to know anything? It could have easily been an order from those above him/her.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
Not really. If you have been working on the design of a chip for high frequency for so many years, then this is tested for thousands of hours. Сerni said that the chip would be very fast and energy efficient at the same time. Is there any reason not to trust this? I don’t know, but all this was not meant to be fun and to get into problems, and leaks of internal tests say that 2GHz is a reality. How to use this information - decide for yourself.

2.0 Ghz is anything but energy efficient, someone post that 5700 chart 🤣

The one thing that could point to a 13TF PS5 is all the coverage that the 13TF dev kit got (with Sony never refuting it). I would think Sony would have tried to squash that if they knew they were going lower. Seems like bad pr to increase expectations like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom