• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawel86ck

Banned
Wouldn't double XboneX TF mean that XSX with its more efficient architecture be less than 12TF considering the architecture improvements and that old gen TF's don't match new gen in power level when comparing numbers?
Or have I got it wrong?
Well it's possible Phil Spencer could lie to people, however based on what he said we can be sure he was talking about TFLOPS metric (and when we do the math it's 12TF Navi). 10TF navi would be more than 10 times faster compared to xbox one, not just 8x and that's because GCN tahiti is nearly 50% slower compared to navi.

Lort

Banned
This. Mod of War: Remastered Mod of War: Remastered has been quick to tell supposed insiders that they should either DM him and provide proof, or shut up. The fact that he's conspicuously quiet about OsirisBlack OsirisBlack either gives me hope that OsirisBlack OsirisBlack is verified, or shows me there's certain bias towards certain posters here, which frankly, would be disappointing on so many levels.

So which one is it?

If he was verified they would have said so.

Xcloudtimdog noone doubts has many contacts in the industry and was refused verification ... it would be much better if the mods came out and told everyone what was the actual requirements were. Do you just have to know someone really well? ( string second hand information) ... do u have to work for a dev... a triple a dev? Do u have to be a coder or is a peoject manager or tester ok? Who knows??

OsirisBlack

Banned
Whats the bet???? You said Ps5 would be more powerful. Is it that one?
Yes that is the one also reading what you replied to others in this thread I don't care who has a power advantage but I will definitely take that bet. I think a year with the other persons avatar should do it.

Edited to add: I was vetted then Gaf went through its.... restructuring that's on Gaf not me. Secondly, I don't have a dog in this fight. I know what I have been told and what I have seen simply put laugh now cry later. I wouldn't make an avatar bet or an account bet if I weren't 100% certain of my source.

Directly at Timdog, with your sources high up in MS you should have known that several people had the box in their homes and it was completed correct? You should know about the new Fighting game they are set to reveal ,Ill wait. How about the exclusivity of several big name third party games.... right. The same reason I specifically name dropped Ghosts of Tsushima and the Same reason I blatantly stated the actual box was already in peoples homes is exactly how I know what I do. But let me guess those were really good exact guesses? Let me guess Battletoads is another really good guess right?

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Xcloudtimdog noone doubts has many contacts in the industry and was refused verification ... it would be much better if the mods came out and told everyone what was the actual requirements were. Do you just have to know someone really well? ( string second hand information) ... do u have to work for a dev... a triple a dev? Do u have to be a coder or is a peoject manager or tester ok? Who knows??
I don't care what his contacts are. My point still stands. If any other guy like Timcloud or CamefromtheFuture talked like Osiris talks, they would've gotten warning bells from Mod of War: Remastered Mod of War: Remastered . Osiris doesn't, which to me means he's either verified, or someone who gets a pass for such behavior (posting his opinion/hopes as 'facts'). The former makes Osiris a God to Sony fans. The latter makes Mod of War: Remastered Mod of War: Remastered a hypocrite.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don't care what his contacts are. My point still stands. If any other guy like Timcloud or CamefromtheFuture talked like Osiris talks, they would've gotten warning bells from Mod of War: Remastered Mod of War: Remastered . Osiris doesn't, which to me means he's either verified, or someone who gets a pass for such behavior (posting his opinion/hopes as 'facts'). The first makes Osiris a God to Sony fans. The latter makes Mod of War: Remastered Mod of War: Remastered a hypocrite.
He was verified years ago.

I don't think people are looking at him as a good. He appears confident in his information and so does Tim. People are curious to see how this plays out.

Nickolaidas

He was verified years ago.

I don't think people are looking at him as a good. He appears confident in his information and so does Tim. People are curious to see how this plays out.
Tim is confident in his MS info, while believing/hoping the GitHub leak (PS5 9.2 TFs) is real. That doesn't bring him at odds with OsirisBlack OsirisBlack , who apparently has better PS5 intel.

I'd like to have Mod of War: Remastered Mod of War: Remastered verify the … err … verification of OsirisBlack OsirisBlack , however.

Last edited:

Kdad

OsirisBlack given benefit of doubt a long ways back...rumor and speculation.

Last edited:

Marlenus

Based on following tech for decades something I know is that final clock speeds are probably still not 100% nailed down. The SoC will be design complete bit there are going to need to be several spins of silicon to go from design to consumer product.

Final clocks will depend on perf/watt, yield and all those factors so even if we have an idea of what is being targeted what we don't know is what can actually be produced.

VFXVeteran

Banned

Good question. I was verified very quickly but that's because I have a strong portfolio and know quite of bit of insiders in the gaming industry. They cross referenced me on LinkedIn with only a handful of contacts that I revealed. I mean I worked with these people though.

Nickolaidas

Not as good as I'd hoped for, but better than nothing. Thanks, man.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I mean you guys really should take a chill pill on the TFLOP thing. At this point, I don't understand why my sources isn't good enough. It's page after page of trying to confirm inside info of a TFLOP number! Both consoles will be powerful compared to this gen. You won't get all the bells and whistles as you are expecting on either of the platforms, so in the end, what does the TFLOP matter? 9TF - 12TF.. ok That might be barely enough to make a difference from true 4k to upscaled 4k. I don't understand the obsession.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I mean you guys really should take a chill pill on the TFLOP thing. At this point, I don't understand why my sources isn't good enough. It's page after page of trying to confirm inside info of a TFLOP number! Both consoles will be powerful compared to this gen. You won't get all the bells and whistles as you are expecting on either of the platforms, so in the end, what does the TFLOP matter? 9TF - 12TF.. ok That might be barely enough to make a difference from true 4k to upscaled 4k. I don't understand the obsession.
But we like being obsessed … it gives our character depth.

Yes that is the one also reading what you replied to others in this thread I don't care who has a power advantage but I will definitely take that bet. I think a year with the other persons avatar should do it.

Edited to add: I was vetted then Gaf went through its.... restructuring that's on Gaf not me. Secondly, I don't have a dog in this fight. I know what I have been told and what I have seen simply put laugh now cry later. I wouldn't make an avatar bet or an account bet if I weren't 100% certain of my source.

Directly at Timdog, with your sources high up in MS you should have known that several people had the box in their homes and it was completed correct? You should know about the new Fighting game they are set to reveal ,Ill wait. How about the exclusivity of several big name third party games.... right. The same reason I specifically name dropped Ghosts of Tsushima and the Same reason I blatantly stated the actual box was already in peoples homes is exactly how I know what I do. But let me guess those were really good exact guesses? Let me guess Battletoads is another really good guess right?
qustion in the old leak you post about the ps5 you said clocks are 1.2 but now you say its 2.0. can you clarify?

VFXVeteran

Banned
But we like being obsessed … it gives our character depth.

OK but why bug the mods over someone being verified or not? If I had a spec sheet in front of me, believe me, I wouldn't give that info out.

There are game devs on these boards. They more than likely know the specs, but they aren't going to risk it and I don't blame them.

Think of it this way: PS5 closer to 1080, XSX closer to 1080Ti. Is that good enough?

Tenka Musou

Banned
OK, so why the vagueness, then? If you had info, why not share it instead of the "wink wink nudge" routine? I mean, you did share specific numbers before here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/possible-ps5-leak-info.1467805/post-253564893

So I wouldn't buy the "I'm protecting my sources" angle if you had one.

Marlenus

Because it becomes a sport and the team you support must win.

Not sure he would stick by these specs now?
"Navi gpu 1.121 ghz 18GB RAM @880GB/s"

Marlenus

qustion in the old leak you post about the ps5 you said clocks are 1.2 but now you say its 2.0. can you clarify?

I doubt the final clocks are 100% nailed down even now. Node is still maturing and we are a few months before production needs to begin so they can make that decision at the last possible moment to hit their targets for performance and cost.

pawel86ck

Banned
I can accept VRS, but upscaling and VRS on top of that should look really ugly 😅

Nickolaidas

OK but why bug the mods over someone being verified or not? If I had a spec sheet in front of me, believe me, I wouldn't give that info out.

There are game devs on these boards. They more than likely know the specs, but they aren't going to risk it and I don't blame them.

Think of it this way: PS5 closer to 1080, XSX closer to 1080Ti. Is that good enough?

Because there have been incidents here where people acted like Osiris and got a slap on the wrist. I'd like to know if Osiris has his wrist slap-free because he actually *knows* something, or because some people are simply playing favorites. I'm not asking him to say spec sheets or crap like that, I just want to know if he knows his stuff, or if he's simply pulling stuff out of his ass.

Your 1080 / 1080Ti example, for example (heh), contradicts his statements.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
OK, so why the vagueness, then? If you had info, why not share it instead of the "wink wink nudge" routine? I mean, you did share specific numbers before here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/possible-ps5-leak-info.1467805/post-253564893

What about me? Do you "buy" my protected sources? I've given what I was told in the broad sense. I would never ask for specific numbers, but equating a next-gen console to have between 1080 and 1080Ti performance should be good enough. If you want to see what a game with next-gen visuals will look like, then compare it to the PC games that have come out:

Modern Warfare
Detroit: Become Human
Gears 5
Control
Metro:Exodus
Plague: A tale of innocence
SW: Jedi Fallen
Red Dead Redemption
etc..

All of those games run on the PC at the highest settings and even a 2080Ti can't lock them to 4k/60FPS. If you took a 1080Ti and ran those games at 4k, well.... a lot of features will be subtracted and/or lowered resolution w/upscale and/or 30FPS lock.

demigod

No he has always said 2.1 ghz on the GPU, not sure why the mod put 1.2 or if he gave the mod that number.

Last edited:
The X did alot of games at full 4k, including high level games at both 4k and 60fps (Forza), with a gimped CPU, less RAM, less bandwidth and half the amount of flops on old GCN architecture. Why dont you think this next Xbox won't be able to do full 4k and 60fps for all games?
Actual legit question, I'm wondering what would hold it back.

Last edited:
No he has always said 2.1 ghz on the GPU, not sure why the mod put 1.2 or if he gave the mod that number.

So if the 2.0ghz is correct, London to a brick the CUs should also match the leak?

VFXVeteran

Banned
The X did alot of games at full 4k, including high level games at both 4k and 60fps (Forza), with a gimped CPU, less RAM, less bandwidth and half the amount of flops on old GCN architecture. Why dont you think this next Xbox won't be able to do full 4k and 60fps for all games?

Because it simply doesn't have the bandwidth. You mentioned Forza -- not a very fillrate-limited game.

The only game on the Xbox 1X that was astounding to see was RDR2 and the PC version has better everything and still can't give 4k/60FPS.

If you try the "secret sauce" rebuttal, I'll just say that 12TF is 12TF. The development of any game on Xbox is going to run like a PC would. And the XSX just doesn't have enough power to run those games like a 2080Ti PC.

OsirisBlack

Banned

Actually the last number I heard and posted was 2.1 which has changed as months have come and gone. Old early information.

Well you don't have to buy it as i'm not selling it. When I said what I did about the XSeX very few people had that information. Certain information is very easy to tie to specific people. Saying yea one is 11.6 and another is 12.4 is pretty specific. Saying one has a better ray tracing solution and the others is closer to the implementation found on the 1080 ti is also pretty specific and I have already stated that. Specifics are what get people in trouble, I fucked up when I even mentioned the Box being out in the wild. People took that as tales from the old arse and hey look MS showed the damn thing. Who said that before I did? Even more specifically I stated that Phil didnt have a dev kit he had the actual machine. So far I'm liking my sources track record so I will protect their identity.

Tenka Musou

Banned
What about me? Do you "buy" my protected sources? I've given what I was told in the broad sense. I would never ask for specific numbers, but equating a next-gen console to have between 1080 and 1080Ti performance should be good enough. If you want to see what a game with next-gen visuals will look like, then compare it to the PC games that have come out:

Modern Warfare
Detroit: Become Human
Gears 5
Control
Metro:Exodus
Plague: A tale of innocence
SW: Jedi Fallen
Red Dead Redemption
etc..

All of those games run on the PC at the highest settings and even a 2080Ti can't lock them to 4k/60FPS. If you took a 1080Ti and ran those games at 4k, well.... a lot of features will be subtracted and/or lowered resolution w/upscale and/or 30FPS lock.
I didn't say anything about you, your info is in-line with the recent leak (XBSX >> PS5)

However, Osiris is claiming PS5 has a better GPU, which flies in the face of the leaks,

Reindeer

Sure lol . Why at that time were saying xbox was 10. ??? We knew because we knew just like Jez did. Maybe thats why Dealer is @ 60,000 subs and growing. Anyway take care now. Gonna politely ignore you
The article I provide actually says 12 tflops and not 10. Like I said, this was circulating months before Dealer made that video. Dealer also didn't go into specifics like NVMe drive, the memory size and other details like the Windows Central article, he just touched upon what was circulating out there for a long time.

You can ignore me all you like, but facts will remain facts. And this whole thing about claiming your righteousness based upon knowing some people or how many subscribers you have is very childish, Tim.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

How? I don't know what he said.
Everyone knows someone that knows someone, That's how all of this works. I trust DF when it comes to games analysis but that is as far as that trust goes, I know who butters their bread. I am as confident as I was when I said the new Ghosts of Tsushima stuff looked awesome (only for it to be shown a few days later) as I am about the PS5 having better Ray tracing and being a bit more powerful. I also maintain my confidence about XSEX having a very good and diverse GAMES library this time around. It wont just be hey look Forza, Halo, Gears and more Forza. (Ultra Combo) Just as confident as I was that the actual XSEX box was in fact finished. (only for that to be shown a bit later as well). I'm even more confident that all of the this system is better than yours and industry bias towards certain companies is going to play out very differently this time around, as unfortunately things are going to get very Sony FFVII = Nintendo and SE relationship around here very soon.

Last thing, it was insinuated earlier that MS could basically just dump money into R and D and throw money at the problem including taking losses in order to have a better machine. That is NOT how any of this works. The higher ups within MS have been looking at their games division and trying to figure out how to "Trim the fat." for quite some time. This years profits are up (Largely due to their XboxLive) but only by a very small margin. I believe 10% ill look and edit to make sure. But they cant just throw shit at the wall to see what sticks. They NEED this machine to be successful and need to at least win the majority of the US market share.

The pastor never lets the congregation play with the church's money.

So we you claiming the X Series X will be a bit more powerful (through your 1080 / 1080Ti example … or that's a lot? I don't know how much better the Ti is from the regular 1080), and we have OsirisBlack saying the PS5 will be a bit more powerful.

So obviously, your statements contradict each other abit. Don't get me wrong, both your scenarios are acceptable to me (because PS5=Series X means 3rd party devs are going to go all out with their multiplats), but I want to know whether the 9TF is bull, or the 12TF.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Actually the last number I heard and posted was 2.1 which has changed as months have come and gone. Old early information.

Well you don't have to buy it as i'm not selling it. When I said what I did about the XSeX very few people had that information. Certain information is very easy to tie to specific people. Saying yea one is 11.6 and another is 12.4 is pretty specific. Saying one has a better ray tracing solution and the others is closer to the implementation found on the 1080 ti is also pretty specific and I have already stated that. Specifics are what get people in trouble, I fucked up when I even mentioned the Box being out in the wild. People took that as tales from the old arse and hey look MS showed the damn thing. Who said that before I did? Even more specifically I stated that Phil didnt have a dev kit he had the actual machine. So far I'm liking my sources track record so I will protect their identity.
Not that you owe me anything, but just to be clear, I'm not asking for specific info. Never did. I only wanted to know if you've been verified here, or if you've simply … CameFromtheFuture.

VFXVeteran

Banned
So we you claiming the X Series X will be a bit more powerful (through your 1080 / 1080Ti example … or that's a lot? I don't know how much better the Ti is from the regular 1080), and we have OsirisBlack saying the PS5 will be a bit more powerful.

So obviously, your statements contradict each other abit. Don't get me wrong, both your scenarios are acceptable to me (because PS5=Series X means 3rd party devs are going to go all out with their multiplats), but I want to know whether the 9TF is bull, or the 12TF.

No they don't. First of all I never gave any information about the XSX. Secondly, I mentioned that GPU range of performance for the PS5.

Why can't you wait and see? What's more important - the TFLOP number or the game and how it will play?

Reindeer

No they don't. First of all I never gave any information about the XSX. Secondly, I mentioned that GPU range of performance for the PS5.

Why can't you wait and see? What's more important - the TFLOP number or the game and how it will play?
Obviously the TFLOP number is more important around here 😆

Nickolaidas

What's more important - the TFLOP number or the game and how it will play?

I just don't want another PS2/X-Box era where multiplats on the X-Box were PS2 ports and didn't take advantage of its hardware, leaving you with a console that only showed what it could do with 5 exclusives.

I also want the PS5 to be as strong as the Series X because that means I can buy the multiplats on the PS ecosystem's low prices (deals) and not forking 60$ on the Series X or pray the (multiplat) game will eventually be on Game Pass. Because in the end I want a console version of the multiplat which won't be far worse on another console without giving a lot of money for said multiplat game.

Hope that makes sense.

Marlenus

So we you claiming the X Series X will be a bit more powerful (through your 1080 / 1080Ti example), and we have OsirisBlack saying the PS5 will be a bit more powerful.

Why though? Just wait until reveals if that is all you care about.

I like speculating, currently I find it more enjoyable than actually playing games.

My speculation is that both consoles will use N7+. That means both consoles are likely to have a SoC of around 350mm^2 and it seems like that can fit a 56CU design with a a 384 bit bus.

The clockspeed needed for that config to hit 12 Tflops is 1,675Mhz which based on the existing Navi parts seems to sit in a more efficient part of the clockspeed/voltage curve than any of the 5500XT, 5700 and 5700XT which makes it plausible to me.

There are caveats though, N7 and N7+ are different so will have different voltage/clock curves and the version of RDNA in the consoles is different so that architecture will also have a different voltage/clock curve. The yield is completely unknown to me and I am not aware of any public information on N7+ yields and that will impact die size. We don't know how easily the SoC clocks and that will impact binning.

Sony and MS are going to try and find the sweet spot of die size and binning to make the part cost efficient to produce. Die size will be set in stone now as it would take too long and cost too much to change the SoC design but the binning can be changed still and will depend on things we don't know so cant easily predict.

As far as leaks go don't trust any of them. Some might be deliberately planted by Sony/MS to mislead. Some might be based on out of date information that was true but got changed. Some might be false flags like AMD did when it launched eyefinity years ago where they went full tyrion on it and gave different OEMs different code names so they could track who leaked the information.

I am sure some people have good information, finding out who that is though is impossible until after the fact.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I didn't say anything about you, your info is in-line with the recent leak (XBSX >> PS5)

However, Osiris is claiming PS5 has a better GPU, which flies in the face of the leaks,

Exactly what fraud fortune tellers say. :messenger_ok:

Jason Schreier said whispers suggest that both have similar specs

This goes against the so called leaks.

Months earlier, Jason posted on Resetera about leaks.

Mar 27, 2019
This is why I don't post here often:

Anyway, I don't know for sure what next-gen specs will look like. I have no idea how many teraflops there'll be. A dev recently told me that a lot of people within studios are just making assumptions based on limited information, and that one of the assumptions is that everything's going to be twice as powerful.

The bigger question IMO is how many platforms people are going to have to ship on. Last generation's cross-platform games had to ship on five -- PS3, 360, PS4, XB1, PC -- which made people miserable and led to a lot of sacrifices. Now that number's getting even bigger thanks to mid-gen hardware refreshes and cloud platforms. That's what I think is ultimately going to hamper AAA games, not hardware restrictions.

Look, as I've been saying since roughly March 2018 (in this very thread), next-gen is coming in 2020. That Semiaccurate article saying 2018 (lol) got people's hopes up for 2019, but by now I hope it's clear that the PS5 ain't coming out this fall.

And, despite all the rumors about devkits being out (usually from rumormongers who are wrong more often than not), the number of people briefed on next-gen is still very limited. Even within companies like, say, DICE, there'll be a small team of engineers who now have a rough idea of specs, and everyone else will know when they need to know. Not a lot of devs are disclosed on next-gen right now.

In other words, don't expect much in the way of substantial leakage just yet. The only thing to know for sure is that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out last week. (And, as has been reported, Microsoft's got a few things in the works.)

Reason why I'm quoting Jason is because he's a very credible journalist he has heard that both will be similar in specs early December and I'm sure he was aware of the 12TF rumor floating around for months.

People are automatically discrediting people who claim to have information based on leaks (which many people believe lack context).

If you have people saying different things, then I would suggest that people should keep an open mind.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Why though? Just wait until reveals if that is all you care about.

I like speculating, currently I find it more enjoyable than actually playing games.

I like speculating too. I don't have a problem with knowing the numbers beforehand, I just want to know the amount of credibility from the people who claim they know stuff.

Osiris seems to know his stuff, and I've read enough in the last few posts to give him the benefit of the doubt as well.

ruvikx

Banned

Maybe I'm a complete idiot & don't know what I'm talking about, but surely the TFLOP number actually impacts the way a game... plays? Isn't that like the entire point of upgrading hardware to begin with? Framerate, image quality & a whole bunch of hardware related elements on screen (including enemy numbers/detail) are directly dependent on the hardware. So from my seat here as a mere consumer (not a professional or whatnot), I want the best console hardware possible so the games I play (whether multiplats or exclusives) run smoothly, look better & play better. It's why playing Resident Evil 2 (one example among countless) on one of the upgraded consoles is a far better gaming experience than on the base 2013 machines (consistent framerate, better image quality).

Reason why I'm quoting Jason is because he's a very credible journalist he has heard that both will be similar in specs early December and I'm sure he was aware of the 12TF rumor floating around for months.

The bolded is highly debateble. He's the one who insinuated Rockstar was treating its devs like cattle in a long hit-piece before Red Dead 2 released. He's known for certain clickbaiting/hyperbole/agenda driven exagerations. Not what I'd call 'credible'.

Armorian

Banned

Damn, Pascal implementation of RT is pure software and unplayable in some games (Metro), if one console (Xbox? ) has gimped version of RT that woud lead to limited use in multiplatform games. Reminds me of GPGPU implementation in current gen where PS4 had clear adventage.

Nickolaidas

He's the one who insinuated Rockstar was treating its devs like cattle in a long hit-piece before Red Dead 2 released. He's known for certain clickbaiting/hyperbole/agenda driven exagerations. Not what I'd call 'credible'.

You mean the piece that started because Rockstar boss claimed proudly the amount of overtime and then had to backpedal a couple of days later when he realized what a stupid thing he said? The piece which Rockstar rebutted to by having an online corporate 'interview' where the employee was asked if he was happy to work at Rockstar under the watchful eye of his boss? That one?

Last edited:

-kb-

Damn, Pascal implementation of RT is pure software and unplayable in some games (Metro), if one console (Xbox? ) has gimped version of RT that woud lead to limited use in multiplatform games. Reminds me of GPGPU implementation in current gen where PS4 had clear adventage.

I am confident that the XSEX is using the AMD patent raytracing solution. Im also confident that the PS5 is using hardware based raytracing. I have a feeling they will be different but in what way I cannot say.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The bolded is highly debateble. He's the one who insinuated Rockstar was treating its devs like cattle in a long hit-piece before Red Dead 2 released. He's known for certain clickbaiting/hyperbole/agenda driven exagerations. Not what I'd call 'credible'.

Compared to many others in the game industry, I would disagree.

We can go back and forth, but there's no doubting that he has good connections within the industry.

Reindeer

Both Microsoft and Sony went on a record saying their GPUs will have hardware based Ray Tracing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom