• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLZ

Banned
Let me make it more clear to you because is dificult for you
GPU is hardware,RT acceleration in GPU Hardware means support built in GPU HW not RTRT HW
How to know that means built in support?
I just read the f@acking AMD article and patent about RT solutions,thats why i say Cerny was not clear about RTRT Hardware
Who is ignorant now?
CERNY NEVER SAY WE HAVE RTRT HARDWARE in GPU HARDWARE
WHO IS THE IGNORANT??????????????????????????????????????
Calm the f down.

Reactions: Dim

R600

Banned
Did you post the wrong image? That doesn’t state they are the same GPU. Again you’re inferring the results you desire.
Yes, this does not prove they are one GPU, different revision, they are as you say completely different working in tandem in crossfire.

Each has 256bit bus but one has 530GB/s access and another 448GB/s. Incredible smart and efficient design, makes comlete sense.

bitbydeath

Gold Member

You are lying. There have been mutliple sites reporting on this, but you are calling everyone dumb but yourself (who doesnt even have a file or care to take a look).

Also sorry, I’m not saying anyone is dumb, sorry if you thought that. I’m just trying to point out the data and how it looks to be false due to all the holes that go overlooked.:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Honestly, I think MS would be super excited if Sony went with 2 300mm2 APUs and only got 14TF, they would feel like they won the lottery with anywhere near 12TF on 360-370mm2.

It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out once the reveals are complete.

Dim

Banned
Also sorry, I’m not saying anyone is dumb, sorry if you thought that. I’m just trying to point out the data and how it looks to be false due to all the holes that go overlooked.:messenger_grinning_smiling:
Listen boy calm down ,and dont give a f2ck please
Even with 6TF PS5 will give a clusterf@ck to other side in every aspect.
Dont worry if you are upset lets kill some mfs in Blackout together to chill ok?

R600

Banned
Well even you just admitted you didn’t understand the dual gpu setup having different access sizes.
Its a sarcasm. Dual 36CU chip would require 2*256bit bus. This means only GPU portion of APU would be ~500mm².

If you think 500-600mm² chip, with crossfire GPUs is realistic, when prices per mm² on newer manufacturing nodes have gone up in the sky, you are beyond help.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Its a sarcasm. Dual 36CU chip would require 2*256bit bus. This means only GPU portion of APU would be ~500mm².

If you think 500-600mm² chip, with crossfire GPUs is realistic, when prices per mm² on newer manufacturing nodes have gone up in the sky, you are beyond help.

So the data is a mess then right?
You don’t get it both ways, if you have to apply sarcasm to the data then something is off.

R600

Banned
So the data is a mess then right?
You don’t get it both ways, if you have to apply sarcasm to the data then something is off.
No, its not.

Oberon is later revision of Ariel with higher BW on same 256bit bus… with same amount of CUs, indicating faster memory chips instead of used 14Gbps. Thats all.

Oberon and Ariel are not two parts of crossfire GPU in PS5.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
No, its not.

Oberon is later revision of Ariel with higher BW on same 256bit bus… with same amount of CUs, indicating faster memory chips instead of used 14Gbps. Thats all.

Oberon and Ariel are not two parts of crossfire GPU in PS5.

But that data doesn’t exist, you’re making it up instead of accepting what is there.

Nevermind, I know you won’t change your outlook. Have a good night.

Dim

Banned

To make the devil advocate we can separate the CPU as standalone and make Dual GPUs in one chip,amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
But the matter is the F price,so a solution even in mystic lab of Cerny in 0.5nm to put 4 GPUs a threadripper and all the CPUs APUs from PS 1,2,3,4 the real problem is the price not the size

R600

Banned
But that data doesn’t exist, you’re making it up instead of accepting what is there.

No, its right there for anyone to see.

If people think better explanation is yours, crossfire one, and 2*36CU GPUs each at 2.0GHz but on different BW, all making entire chip bigger then PS3 on 90nm node then, ok.

Dim

Banned

You remind me a HDD i had with so many bad sectors who boot up on Windows and restart ,boot up ,Restart ,boot up Restart.
Accept it Xbox have bigger APU in size,size dont matter.
They need to downclok their APU to avoid overheating.
Second Daddy Cerny will make a great lowAPI recipe with exotic SSD inside and boost the real perfomance of PS5
3rd We dont need to have a console ugly as F as Xbox Series,really dude that thing looks like mausoleum.
4th STFU and shake your damn head,something stack inside there in loop............................

Dim

Banned
I dont wait many news from CES
Some light from AMD in consoles maybe
Some light from MS who wants bring the Hype
But you never knows,is so big the pressure from gamers for reveals
Oct0xor says Stay tuned Sony will announce something awesome soon,so i still hope

Dim

Banned
People are posting about CES in gaming forums being hyped about PS5 reveal of some sorts, isn't that obvious, buddy?
The only obvious is thirsty gamers for reveals
Obvious is to show hardware in CES as Sony Electronics do for decades.
Obvious is consoles reveal be in Gaming Expos or first party events.
Obvious is to be so much fanboy to accuse a electronic company with thousand patents and innovations in electronics because participate in CES the world's gathering place for all those who thrive on the business of consumer technologies
How you dare to be so blind hater?

Dim

Banned
Some stupid guesses:

MS bought GTA exclusivity and that is the betrayalton

Sony bought Remedy and that is a betraylaton
First of all Osiris dont talk about Sony but SE=Square Enix
2nd Talk about industry and companies that is cryptic,maybe have to do with some social media platforms or gaming news sites in the way handle the leaks and create confuse in millions gamers, and the SE Nintendo example is the fallout between console companies and media industry

Reindeer

The only obvious is thirsty gamers for reveals
Obvious is to show hardware in CES as Sony Electronics do for decades.
Obvious is consoles reveal be in Gaming Expos or first party events.
Obvious is to be so much fanboy to accuse a electronic company with thousand patents and innovations in electronics because participate in CES the world's gathering place for all those who thrive on the business of consumer technologies
How you dare to be so blind hater?
Blind hater? Dude, you need to slow down with your accusations and aggressive nature. If you think that Sony could not be using PS5 hype to get more attention to their other products then you are the one that's blind and naïve. It would only be smart marketing on Sony's part.

Dim

Banned
Blind hater? Dude, you need to slow down with your accusations and aggressive nature. If you think that Sony could not be using PS5 hype to get more attention to their other products then you are the one that's blind and naïve. It would only be smart marketing on Sony's part.
Sony will show what have to show every year in CES.,you have right to say that only if Sony and only if announce before CES they are going to reveal PS5.
Sony is silent as grave so no hype from our side,and dont take any advantage of that by stay silent.
Sony dont created the Hype but the MS.
Sony no need and dont use the hype to push something.
Using the Hype is pure MS PR tacticts.
We no need PS5 hype to sell TVs in CES,its a pathetic comment by you, so please get a life.

PocoJoe

Banned
I am not against to have PS5 RT hardware.
I am against to take a cryptic(open to two meanings) technical statement by Cerny and translate anybody as he wish by putting extra words as "hardware"

He said there is hardware level acceleration for RT in the GPU.

Cant be more clear than that.

You should just accept that if others understand it easily and to you it is "cryptic", then fault is in your understanding of things.

To not to be cryptic: if one doesnt understand what Cerny clearly said, they are stupid idiots

VFXVeteran

Banned
Again PS5 doesn't have dedicated hardware RT.

OK. I can define what hardware accelerated RT means.

Nvidia set the standard for what that definition means. Which is dedicated cores that allow storage and intersection tests where then the regular CUs can compute the shaded pixels. Those cores can't do the same thing as the regular CUs -- only RT related things.

Going by Nvidia's definition, if AMD implements a low level layer API that makes the general purpose CUs be used for intersection tests and data storage, then it would be considered software RT because the cores can also be used for other things besides the RT tasks. That sort of puts the "general purpose" tag on the CUs and will most certainly take away the jobs of those CUs from doing what they would have done in the rasterizer stage.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
When they start showing their claws... Console war at its peak.

I guess even if a third wired article exist saying there is a AMD RT on PS5 will be not enough.
Cerny: just to reiterate, we have dedicated ray tracing cores inside the CUs with the sole purpose of doing ray tracing.
Gaf: Mark cerny is a liar.
Digital foundry: this confirms a weak ray tracing solution that can only do ray traced shadows. Maybe only ray traced ambient occlusion. Nope, Ray traced AF only.

Reindeer

Sony will show what have to show every year in CES.,you have right to say that only if Sony and only if announce before CES they are going to reveal PS5.
Sony is silent as grave so no hype from our side,and dont take any advantage of that by stay silent.
Sony dont created the Hype but the MS.
Sony no need and dont use the hype to push something.
Using the Hype is pure MS PR tacticts.
We no need PS5 hype to sell TVs in CES,its a pathetic comment by you, so please get a life.
The only one that's being pathetic in this thread is you.

What's interesting Godfall was running at 4K 60fps, so HW RT is there for a fact and it's also very efficient because not even 2080ti can run RT reflections at 4K 60fps.

BTW. if I remember correctly sony has said PS5 will be a niche product for enthusiasts rather than casual players. To me underpowered 9TF GPU for 399$ doesnt fit this description and besides 9TF Navi should be to slow to run godfall at 4K 60fps with RT.

What? That Godfall footage was from a 2080Ti equipped PC, i'm sure. It's not a PS5 exclusive you know?

Dim

Banned
The behaviour and lack of respect shown by this individual is a good way to earn a thread ban
He said there is hardware level acceleration for RT in the GPU.

Cant be more clear than that.

You should just accept that if others understand it easily and to you it is "cryptic", then fault is in your understanding of things.

To not to be cryptic: if one doesnt understand what Cerny clearly said, they are stupid idiots
hardware leve is your words dude please
Read again what he said and dont translate it with your words please
IS different thing the RT accelerations in GPU HW and different thing HW RT in GPU HW...........EPIC F DIFERENT as diferent is my car is red ,Ferari is red my car is Ferari
We talk what Cerny says not how any random understand it,technical terminology is clear you cant simplified or you cant translate by how you can process in your brain.

How every body see "He said there is hardware level acceleration for RT in the GPU." but nobody cant screenshot the same words in same timeline
hardware level lmao thats new one

Thedtrain

OK. I can define what hardware accelerated RT means.

Nvidia set the standard for what that definition means. Which is dedicated cores that allow storage and intersection tests where then the regular CUs can compute the shaded pixels. Those cores can't do the same thing as the regular CUs -- only RT related things.

Going by Nvidia's definition, if AMD implements a low level layer API that makes the general purpose CUs be used for intersection tests and data storage, then it would be considered software RT because the cores can also be used for other things besides the RT tasks. That sort of puts the "general purpose" tag on the CUs and will most certainly take away the jobs of those CUs from doing what they would have done in the rasterizer stage.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Maybe people will stop questioning the meaning of what Cerny said

Hopefully both companies put their cards on the table soon, then the discussion can move to what the differences for console players are going to be. How close we get to higher-end PCs etc.

What the absolute fuck is happening.
Christ almighty.

At this point, I just want some clear cut information directly from the horses' mouth.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ
This may be slightly off thread, but why would (or is) the universal windows platform (UWP) mostly using latest version of visual studio bad for gaming (specifically xseries and PC windows)? Is it because you cant mod games? Forza 6 Apex is the only game that I know of that is UWP. I mean UWP with visual studio can be the start of making consumers game developers (youtube of gaming). With Microsofts Direct X 12 API, can you make games scalable and 'forwards compatible?" Example Forza 8 as a UWP:

Xsex: True 4K 60fps
Xbone X: Partial 4K but always 60fps
Xbone: 2K to partial 2K but always 60fps.

If the gaming industry is eventually going achieve some sort of youtube of gaming, its not like you are going to be publishing games in a physical media disk, nor do you need to work for a big studio or small indie one, you are going to upload it in the cloud/server and eventually play the game through streaming. I think with the start of a new decade, the game insdustry will eventually catch on to the movie and music industry..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom