• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawel86ck

Banned
There is a lot to unpack here.
Nvidia's tensor cores were originally designed for inference/AI workloads. In Turing they are used to denoise the ray-traced lighting effects. The RT core in Turing is what generates the actual rays.
RTX is a hybrid ray tracing solution. It still uses standard rasterisation for the final image, but introduces limited ray tracing for lighting and shadows etc. And then uses tensor cores to denoise the image so that its appear a garbled mess.
Afaik, AMD's patent describes ray casting engines in the texture mapping units. I believe there are 4 ray tracing cores per TMU. There is also BVH intersection engine, but I don't recall how AMD are handling that.
AMD's solution is also hybrid.

There is no 100% real time ray tracing. Even with the dedicated RT cores and denoising algorithms, the hardware is just far too slow to pull that off.

And of course, you can purely use FP32 compute to handle ray tracing using software, but it'll be slow as absolute shit to produce a usable image or it'll produce an unusably noisy image if limited to the frame-time window.

We don't know exactly how PS5 will handle ray tracing, but if Cerny says there is some form of hardware acceleration then I'm not sure how you can really argue against it.
There is even one game that use tensor cores for denoising?

Dim

Banned
Nvidia's tensor cores were originally designed for inference/AI workloads. In Turing they are used to denoise the ray-traced lighting effects. The RT core in Turing is what generates the actual rays.
RTX is a hybrid ray tracing solution. It still uses standard rasterisation for the final image, but introduces limited ray tracing for lighting and shadows etc. And then uses tensor cores to denoise the image so that its appear a garbled mess.
Afaik, AMD's patent describes ray casting engines in the texture mapping units. I believe there are 4 ray tracing cores per TMU. There is also BVH intersection engine, but I don't recall how AMD are handling that.

There is no 100% real time ray tracing. Even with the dedicated RT cores and denoising algorithms, the hardware is just far too slow to pull that off.

And of course, you can purely use FP32 compute to handle ray tracing using software, but it'll be slow as absolute shit to produce a usable image or it'll produce an unusably noisy image if limited to the frame-time window.

We don't know exactly how PS5 will handle ray tracing, but if Cerny says there is some form of hardware acceleration then I'm not sure how you can really argue against it.
I am not against what Cerny says,i am against the free translation from some people that say CERNY SAY WE HAVE HARDWARE RT IN PS5
Is different to have dedicated cores for RT only and different to have a hybrid solution
Vega support hybrid solution but is not RTRT as RDNA 2
Why so many years nobody talk about Vega RT Hardware then?

Reindeer

I know that Vegas had some serious issues in game benchmarks
1080 Ti 8.8 TF is way better than Vega 64 13 TF in games
I just think for a moment you talk about real 13TF for PS5 not the x1.5 advantage of 7nm in perfomance or as Nvidia says 50% more power in 7nm
Isn't 1080 TI 11.3 tflops?

It was estimate (he literally said "Oberon is around 300, Arden 350mm² - one size difference")

20CUs are ~43mm² in Navi 10.

Arden has 64ROPs, same as Oberon, so no additonal 32ROPs worth of logic on die. If Oberon has 4GB DDR4 and 3D Audio chip that is extra few mm² that Arden likely doesnt have.

We will have to wait and see, but if both are using AMD RT then we are looking into ~8-10% more space per CU cluster, not GPU (so not really big).
20 CUs are 43mm2. So each CU is roughly 2.15mm2. If RT adds 8-10% to each CU, then each would grow to between 2.33-2.36mm2. That would make 20CUs roughly 46-48mm2.
Still haven't factored in another two 32-bit GDDR6 Phys - which are quite large might I remind you.
I know the Render back end is the same. Which is why I never mentioned it.

Something about the math does t add up to me. The difference cannot be just 50mm2. Microsoft would have to be running an APU around 400mm2. Around 350-360 just doesn't seem feasible.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So we go for a custom APU with elements from RDNA2 as everybody say
Why the 3D audio needs to be on the APU???
Did we have ray tracing technology on sound too????

AMD is likely going for adding additional HW to accelerate ray intersection tests and dynamically updated acceleration structures (or some extra GPU memory that can be dedicated to it according to developer needs) that store a description of the current scene. The idea is to reuse the same HW to do all sorts of computation that involve shooting a “ray” (or whatever the dev wants it to represent) reusing the same HW with a small bit of additional logic. GCN and RDNA == SW based raytracing, RDNA2 RT (portion of the RDNA2 specs) == HW accelerated RT.

nVIDIA’s solution is A ray tracing implementation hard coded in the GPU HW (in the form of RT cores) while AMD plans more reusable universal shader cores (hence why the RT support die area increase estimates are quite conservative).

Last edited:
Reactions: Dim

Gamernyc78

Banned
I am not against what Cerny says,i am against the free translation from some people that say CERNY SAY WE HAVE HARDWARE RT IN PS5
Is different to have dedicated cores for RT only and different to have a hybrid solution

Bro no disrespect but your inferring and twisting what you want to infer based off a very fallacious narrative. Give it up already your ruining the thread with this nonsense.

Just because you keep repeating it doesn't mean ppl will believe it. It's annoying at this point.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Thats why its going to be really interesting to see what their first parties come out with this next gen. They have brought alot of talent in, and there will be more to come.
Buying talent is great but MS has a leadership problem. Its the sane company that wouldbt cancel crackdown yet Phil kept saying its his baby and fav franchise yet it was brought out to die. As I am hopeful, MS needs to change internally more than anything else and establish an identity that isn't childish

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Vega has no hybrid solution, Vega supports using the compute shaders to perform raytracing in SW. Nobody would refer to GPU accelerating RT or RT acceleration in the GPU HW when talking about Radeon Rays.

RDNA2, from what AMD has said so far and from their parents, will have the mentioned GPU acceleration for RT. nVIDIA did “An” implementation for RT support using dedicated additional cores while AMD is adding logic to the current CU’s (shader cores and TMU’s).

If you consider RT cores the only way to have real HW RT then neither XSX nor PS5 will have real HW RT by your definition, happier?

Else you are implying a non technologist VP is meant to have more technically correct terminology than a software engineer and platform architect who has never been found to be misleading consumers or developers in his statements.

Last edited:

Darius87

Let me make it more clear to you because is dificult for you
GPU is hardware,RT acceleration in GPU Hardware means support built in GPU HW not RTRT HW
How to know that means built in support?
I just read the f@acking AMD article and patent about RT solutions,thats why i say Cerny was not clear about RTRT Hardware
so confirming that's is not software also doesn't mean it's hardware RT?
what's comes down to what you call RTRT is it have ray - intersection engines which means dedicated transistors on silicon, we all know cerny denied software based rendering
confirms that it’s not a software-level fix, which some had feared.
that means PS5 indeed hardware RTRT, if confirming
There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware
not good enough for you
now question is same solution as RDNA 2.0 is or some custom variant by sony.
Who is ignorant now?
CERNY NEVER SAY WE HAVE RTRT HARDWARE in GPU HARDWARE
WHO IS THE IGNORANT??????????????????????????????????????
tenor.gif

The problem is in your mentality sadly my friend and in low IQ
I am 46 years old i probably play games before you born and i bet i never have switch my console as you have do.
I am PS fan from day one just i hate people who cant understand something and they translate with own words and the lack of knowledge,and are so lazy to read 2 web pages to learn something,but not lazy to critize others for their mental problems, something like you doing

Yes, you are older than me, surely. But i don't have a problem with what Cerny had said because it can't be more clearer than what he said and that is - PS5 has a hardware accelerated RT. Looks like you have a problem with that.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
20 CUs are 43mm2. So each CU is roughly 2.15mm2. If RT adds 8-10% to each CU, then each would grow to between 2.33-2.36mm2. That would make 20CUs roughly 46-48mm2.
Still haven't factored in another two 32-bit GDDR6 Phys - which are quite large might I remind you.
I know the Render back end is the same. Which is why I never mentioned it.

Something about the math does t add up to me. The difference cannot be just 50mm2. Microsoft would have to be running an APU around 400mm2. Around 350-360 just doesn't seem feasible.
Additional 64bit for bus is ~16mm².

So 46-48mm² + 16mm² = 64mm².

That doesnt exactly fit, but if XSX does not have 3D audio hardware and obviously no DDR4 then its still some mm² back (although no doubt less then 14mm²)

Again, its estimate from him. He said Navi 10 is 250-255mm² back in January and big Navi is 505mm² and now everyone is quoting him. He has long history of TSMC leaks...

It was estimate (he literally said "Oberon is around 300, Arden 350mm² - one size difference")

20CUs are ~43mm² in Navi 10.

Arden has 64ROPs, same as Oberon, so no additonal 32ROPs worth of logic on die. If Oberon has 4GB DDR4 and 3D Audio chip that is extra few mm² that Arden likely doesnt have.

We will have to wait and see, but if both are using AMD RT then we are looking into ~8-10% more space per CU cluster, not GPU (so not really big).
Also last gen Sony made changes to the Cu's on their GPUs which meant they were larger in size than normal. Not sure if they will do the same thing this time.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
You are getting confused with file you are looking at. Its literally a python script that is pulling data from server.

If you can read python code, the script hits some test servers and grabs test data and pulls them into already populated Xlsm files. Its a config typo, because Arden and Oberon cannot both be in production + Arden has Xbox BC mode, nothing to do with PS4 or Pro.

So you’re admitting the AMD data leak is bogus?

Vega doesn't have RT hardware...?
What are you talking about?

What does "dedicated hardware raytracing acceleration" mean if not some form of fixed function units designed for casting rays?

Dim

Banned
Bro no disrespect but your inferring and twisting what you want to infer based off a very fallacious narrative. Give it up already your ruining the thread with this nonsense.

Just because you keep repeating it doesn't mean ppl will believe it. It's annoying at this point.
I am not repeating friend
Random people blame me the same things about Cerny
And i just say Cerny use the same words AMD use when reveal to people the Radeon Rays
RT acceleration built in in GPU
I cant find now the Radeon Rays reveal post from AMD but take a look at AMD description what is RT acceleration built in support in GPU
Maybe is time to start ignore the duplicate questions about the same thing from random people so i am not repeating and annoying you.
I just every time i read inside here Cerny says i make search to find any new statement diferent that obvious
Maybe some people need to learn what really Cerny says and that his statement was not clear in HW RT or Hybrid Solution in PS5
Is different thing to talk about RTRT and RT aceleration in many things as final GPU performance and RT perfomance
AM i clear to you now?

Dim

Banned

What does "dedicated hardware raytracing acceleration" mean if not some form of fixed function units designed for casting rays?
I dont speak about hardware i speak about RT acceleration support in Vega
Amd say it not me

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Nope. I am saying your reasoning is bogus.

I’ve been constantly referring you to the data and asking you for proof of your claims which you are yet to provide.

If you’re just running off a gut feeling just say so, otherwise provide the receipts for your claims and I don’t mean PS4 APU information.

Dim

Banned

AMD for Vega announcement was 3-4 months before Nvidia i think

Buying talent is great but MS has a leadership problem. Its the sane company that wouldbt cancel crackdown yet Phil kept saying its his baby and fav franchise yet it was brought out to die. As I am hopeful, MS needs to change internally more than anything else and establish an identity that isn't childish
If you havent already seen those changes from the launch of the OG Xbox One and now, you haven't been looking.

Reindeer

Apparently Crackdown 4 might be happening lol. I myself enjoy Crackdown (guilty pleasure) so the more the merrier!

Dim

Banned

dedicated hardware raytracing is that who AMD call in RDNA2 RTRT and that RDNA 1 dont have it and use the hybrid solution
Means that HW RTRT dont affect the actual performance of GPU and RT have better perfomance

R600

Banned
I’ve been constantly referring you to the data and asking you for proof of your claims which you are yet to provide.

If you’re just running off a gut feeling just say so, otherwise provide the receipts for your claims and I don’t mean PS4 APU information.
No, you have been constantly told to stop being obtusive and check the data for yourself, which you reject for a week.

There have been multiple sites with access to it and giving you details (among them DF), so for you to still be so obtusive without even looking into file is actually incredible.

Believe what you want to believe. Data, while deleted from twitter and github, is still there. Anyone can find it and check for themselves, so can you.

Reindeer

The most important thing to a console is great games and yet they have lacked all generation, they may have changed in one way but completely missed the mark
I think they'll have game going forward, but they're way too much about live service and multiplayer these days.

-kb-

from what I remember there’s a single unit per TMU called the “TD” in the AMD patent. It seems to handle both BVH and triangle intersections, but does rely on the shader units for some parts of the pipeline it seems.

• Love
Additional 64bit for bus is ~16mm².

So 46-48mm² + 16mm² = 64mm².

That doesnt exactly fit, but if XSX does not have 3D audio hardware and obviously no DDR4 then its still some mm² back (although no doubt less then 14mm²)

Again, its estimate from him. He said Navi 10 is 250-255mm² back in January and big Navi is 505mm² and now everyone is quoting him. He has long history of TSMC leaks...
That's fine I guess. But isn't there some information out there implying that the PS5 is somewhere around 316mm2. If I recall correctly, its the one with the detailed memory configuration leaks (overkill VRM, the chip layout etc.).
Regardless, ~300mm2 for PS5 and ~350mm2 for XSX is the window. That's not a lot of room to play with. The APU by my estimations should be closer to 400mm2. I don't see how 350mm2 is enough for 56CU with RT hardware and the 8 Zen2 cores.

So you’re admitting the AMD data leak is bogus?
No, he's been saying that Oberon is a newer version of Ariel. He's been saying they're the same fundamental design, but at different stages of completeness. Ariel was the first prototype and then Oberon is a revised and slightly improved prototype.
They're is no evidence to suggest that the PS5 will use two GPUs.
Just because there are two codenames, doesn't mean that both chips are going to be used in the same machine. That is faulty logic.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
No, you have been constantly told to stop being obtusive and check the data for yourself, which you reject for a week.

There have been multiple sites with access to it and giving you details (among them DF), so for you to still be so obtusive without even looking into file is actually incredible.

Believe what you want to believe. Data, while deleted from twitter and github, is still there. Anyone can find it and check for themselves, so can you.

I have found it and I’m calling you out because you are trying to twist the data and are providing nothing to back yourself up.

You won’t provide data because you can’t, it simply doesn’t exist.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
No, he's been saying that Oberon is a newer version of Ariel. He's been saying they're the same fundamental design, but at different stages of completeness. Ariel was the first prototype and then Oberon is a revised and slightly improved prototype.
They're is no evidence to suggest that the PS5 will use two GPUs.
Just because there are two codenames, doesn't mean that both chips are going to be used in the same machine. That is faulty logic.

The data states there are two GPU’s.
There is no mention at all that I’ve found of one being an early version, it has only been inferred that way because it sounds crazy.

And the fact the data still exists together in unison is unusual.

I’m not stating there are two, i’m saying the data is a mess and that can clearly be seen with Arden popping up under Oberon.

Reindeer

The data states there are two GPU’s.
There is no mention at all that I’ve found of one being an early version, it has only been inferred that way because it sounds crazy.

And the fact the data still exists together in unison is unusual.

I’m not stating there are two, i’m saying the data is a mess and that can clearly be seen with Arden popping up under Oberon.
Arden is Series X, was confirmed by way too many knowledgeable people. It also has BC for XB1 and XB1X.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
That's fine I guess. But isn't there some information out there implying that the PS5 is somewhere around 316mm2. If I recall correctly, its the one with the detailed memory configuration leaks (overkill VRM, the chip layout etc.).
Regardless, ~300mm2 for PS5 and ~350mm2 for XSX is the window. That's not a lot of room to play with. The APU by my estimations should be closer to 400mm2. I don't see how 350mm2 is enough for 56CU with RT hardware and the 8 Zen2 cores.
Yea obviously, although I have to make two comments.

1. From Scarlett video, APU calculation (by using memory chips as referrence) seems to be bigger then 350. Closer to 360-370mm² (in line with Xbone and X)

2. Zen2 with 1/4th of L3 cache (as predicted by leaked Flute benchmark and now notebook 8 core Zen 2) is likely smaller then 40mm². So, less then Jaguar with its L3...

I think you can easily fit 40CUs + RT + Zen2 inside 320mm².

Navi 10 with 256bit bus = 251mm²
Zen2 1/4th of L3 cache = ~35-40mm²
RT ~10% for each CU = 10mm²
Audio 3D engine + bus DDR4 = rest

So, easily fits.

What is also interesting is that PCB leak from May not only fits timeline of when chip for dev kit could be released, but also fits in with when V dev kit was released (around June - July for devs).

Also, this leak specified chip size at 22.4 * 14.1mm.

You know what has ~14mm² width? Navi 10 chip. Funny because this was leaked before any Navi was shown or released.

• Love
Which has been explained as being someone fucking up their Python code and calling up the wrong codename.

Frankly, nothing is certain. But dual GPU, just cause there are two identical chips - one of which is clearly stated in the file as having improvements to cache bandwidth compared to the other - seems rather ludicrous to me.
Why would you have one GPU with 448GB/s bandwidth and the second having >530GB/s bandwidth. Doesn't make sense.

• Love

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Which has been explained as being someone fucking up their Python code and calling up the wrong codename.

Frankly, nothing is certain. But dual GPU, just cause there are two identical chips - one of which is clearly stated in the file as having improvements to cache bandwidth compared to the other - seems rather ludicrous to me.
Why would you have one GPU with 448GB/s bandwidth and the second having >530GB/s bandwidth. Doesn't make sense.

Wrong code name but the filepath still states Oberon as well. It should be calling all that information in a block, not line by line.

It doesn’t make sense and that’s my point.

bitbydeath

Gold Member

You are lying. There have been mutliple sites reporting on this, but you are calling everyone dumb but yourself (who doesnt even have a file or care to take a look).

Did you post the wrong image? That doesn’t state they are the same GPU. Again you’re inferring the results you desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom