• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Stillmatic

I feel like I stepped in the Twilight zone or something.

All kinds of post about DC being on some next level graphically but when I clicked on those stills, in comparison to FH2, Project Cars, FM6, GT6 and some shots I've seen of FM5 they look like ass.
Post them, I'd love to see them. Gameplay shots from gameplay view would be awesome.

For comparison I'm guessing these are the shots you think look like ass: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177435641&postcount=4969

Edit: Looks like you've done a runner...

leeh

Etta's become a chore in most threads lately. There's plenty of times I've seen said said user bashing PS topics but will be front and centre in an Xb thread talking it up. Look at this thread - ruined.
I mean, I think we're doing orite in here. I think we all agree that DC is the king of weather effects?

GnawtyDog

Banned
This is so stupid, you are very transparent and you've been since the beginning of this thread and many other threads you are in. You do know you can lower the intensity of the rain and snow as well as turn it off entirely if you don't want to. Evolution has said many times that the AI gets effected by all physics the player is effected by. But we have to be stupid because we don't understand your comment.

http://youtu.be/xQp-CKCpPYw

heh...

Noobcraft

I mean, I think we're doing orite in here. I think we all agree that DC is the king of weather effects?
In terms of visual impact I think so, the reflections, water droplets, and obscured vision are all well done. Project Cars does spray from other vehicles much better than it, and Forza 6 does the physical aspect the best by far (how it feels driving in the rain, the hydroplaning, the interactions with deep puddles).

Also here's another gif I made.
SwfDp9n.gif

Jamesways

Those PCars pictures to me, look like they have an instagram filter. I just don't see it.

What about this one? (Posted on /r/xboxone):

20aBVcG.jpg
No filter on those, just overcast lighting, which lately I'm loving in pCARS since I think it looks very realistic.

That FM shot is very nice. I'm seeing some really impressive shots of FM6 from the demo. When the full game is out I may have to recant my statement of "I've never seen a FM shot thats fooled me into thinking it's real life".
I hope I will have to.

It's certainly a great time to be a racing fan this gen.

nib95

Banned
Do you guys know that when I say overusage of precipitation that is for me alone, my experience, right? Do you really mean to tell me that I should be perfectly comfortable in racing in torrential rain? Can you yourselves drive at high speed in those conditions on tight roads with 8+ other cars and sharp corners?

The real issue in DC is that the AI doesn't have decreased visibility and they drive just like they do on dry pavement on a sunny day. Why is it that no one picked that part of my argument up but yet they've decided to focus on the subjective part?

If you're going to diverge from discussing graphics, at least get your facts straight. DC's AI doesn't drive exactly the same in the rain as it does in sunny conditions. They're far more conservative in the rain, as is evidenced by lap times alone. If they drove exactly the same they'd be slip sliding around every where. You could say that they have too much visibility and don't make enough mistakes, but to say they drive the same as they do in sunny dry conditions is completely false.

nib95

Banned
So far the only game that looks to beat Driveclub graphically is the new Need for Speed.

Looks redonk.

It's the only real contender. Whether it looks better or not remains to be seen. All I know is, they both look incredible, and both mimic the near photo realistic aesthetic better than all other racing games before them. Only other game I can see challenging either is GT7, but at 60fps, it's still a tall order.

It's the only real contender. Whether it looks better or not remains to be seen. All I know is, they both look incredible, and both mimic the near photo realistic aesthetic better than all other racing games before them. Only other game I can see challenging either is GT7, but at 60fps, it's still a tall order.

When it comes to making games look realistic the single most important element is lighting. You can make everything else look great, but if you mess up the lightning then the intent is ruined. And Polyphony are ridiculous when it comes to lighting. They've always been at the top in that area even going back to the PSone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQO6JHZl-Cs

That's what they were capable of last gen in terms of lighting. No one else was doing anything like that on last gen consoles.

So far the only game that looks to beat Driveclub graphically is the new Need for Speed.

Looks redonk.

I think it is debatable if a "night only" game should even be qualified for this thead. It probably should, but I find the choice questionable. Oh well, NFS, probably gonna suck balls as usual.

Noobcraft

I think it is debatable if a "night only" game should even be qualified for this thead. It probably should, but I find the choice questionable. Oh well, NFS, probably gonna suck balls as usual.
Regardless of setting it is a next gen racing game and it has a place in graphics discussion. There's not really anything debatable about it. How good (or bad) the gameplay might end up being isn't really relevant here.

Regardless of setting it is a next gen racing game and it has a place in graphics discussion. There's not really anything debatable about it. How good (or bad) the gameplay might end up being isn't really relevant here.

Agreed, but it is still lame to only have night racing. EA using a cop out as usual.

leeh

No filter on those, just overcast lighting, which lately I'm loving in pCARS since I think it looks very realistic.

That FM shot is very nice. I'm seeing some really impressive shots of FM6 from the demo. When the full game is out I may have to recant my statement of "I've never seen a FM shot thats fooled me into thinking it's real life".
I hope I will have to.

It's certainly a great time to be a racing fan this gen.
In all fairness that shot I processed, is altered and post-processed to hell. It's not the best looking game, but with the fact that it never drops from 60 (looking at you PCars), for me makes it the best sim on console. Also, taking into account that PCars is awful with a controller and looks worse than FM6 on X1.

I can't wait for the full game. Hopefully they implement an online structure similar to FH2 and those god-like road trips.

Sorc3r3r

i highly doubt the new nfs title will supplant driveclub.

Much will do their lighting solution, a prebaked one will look dated rather soon, and their weather management.

What makes DC spectacular and over the top is when all the dynamic things going on click in a graphical orgy.

(Then if in that moment spotify choose to make me listen to a trance track i like, I'm done for some hour. Synesthesia a go go Baby.)

DD

Awesome video! Great choice of music! Driveclub really looks amazing!
haaha, awesome video though!
Lol, thanks, guys.

I've made this one really fast, just to try the shareplay tool. I'll see if I manage to make a better one.

Cheers!

PCars is awful with a controller and looks worse than FM6 on X1.
Hello, mate. I've posted my controller settings at the Pcars thread. See if it helps: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175932951&postcount=5173

In terms of visual impact I think so, the reflections, water droplets, and obscured vision are all well done. Project Cars does spray from other vehicles much better than it, and Forza 6 does the physical aspect the best by far (how it feels driving in the rain, the hydroplaning, the interactions with deep puddles).

Also here's another gif I made.
SwfDp9n.gif

It's the bad lighting on the car that ruins the whole image.

Jamesways

Lol, thanks, guys.

I've made this one really fast, just to try the shareplay tool. I'll see if I manage to make a better one.

Cheers!

Hello, mate. I've posted my controller settings at the Pcars thread. See if it helps: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175932951&postcount=5173

Fantastic video! Great job. Love the music too.

I'll have to compare your settings to mine. Do you feel you need to tweak them for classes at all? Mine work great for the GT classes, but road cars need some adjusting.

DD

Fantastic video! Great job. Love the music too.

I'll have to compare your settings to mine. Do you feel you need to tweak them for classes at all? Mine work great for the GT classes, but road cars need some adjusting.

Thanks, mate!

On Pcars, I don't enjoy road cars very much, so I usually skip them. But when I use them, I don't feel as if the controller settings are getting on the way, no.

Jamesways

Thanks, mate!

On Pcars, I don't enjoy road cars very much, so I usually skip them. But when I use them, I don't feel as if the controller settings are getting on the way, no.

I don't enjoy them much in this either, which is a shame. I tend to stick to GT cars in general, but do like a few road cars. I do love Audis and BMWs in games.

The Pagani Cinque handles damn nice though.

Speaking of, peeks! 'Cause it's a graphics thread!

20257248445_906f961ee9_o.jpg

19594434226_5620e2963d_o.jpg

16988915545_0545a283f6_o.jpg

edit- Wow Shandy, that is an amazing picture! Impressive stuff.

I love this thread.
Not for the console warring serious business posts, but for people posting awesome shots of these games!

Melfice7

One thing i dont see discussed much is track loading times, i suppose its not graphics but its worth comparing..

I feel like Driveclub spoiled me on this!

How long are loadings on Forza 5/6?

One thing i dont see discussed much is track loading times, i suppose its not graphics but its worth comparing..

I feel like Driveclub spoiled me on this!

How long are loadings on Forza 5/6?

Forza 5's are painful, dunno how long they are but they're way too long. Forza 6 is a big improvement but still not great. At least this time it's a bit more forgivable.

adelante

I see that there is no reflections from rear headlights in photomode in FM6 :

x1OGg4.png

Screenspace reflections like the ones in DriveClub where you can see rear lights reflected on the body itself?

Yeah as far as I can tell, ONLY Driveclub does it. Have not seen any other racer that does. Another neat visual effect that's unique to the game is how distant cars reflect headlights of the ones behind. Specifically how the side body of cars mimic real-life high reflectance properties of metal and are seen as bright white. Those who drive (at night) would've probably noticed this before in your rearview mirror (I know I do, hence this revelation haha). These aren't just normal illumination and I presume its an after effect of them implementing SSR on car body panels. Recorded a video and cropped out a gif to show what I mean:

driveclub-rear-viewzqrjp.gif

Screenspace reflections like the ones in DriveClub where you can see rear lights reflected on the body itself?

Yeah as far as I can tell, ONLY Driveclub does it. Have not seen any other racer that does. Another neat visual effect that's unique to the game is how distant cars reflect headlights of the ones behind. Specifically how the side body of cars mimic real-life high reflectance properties of metal and are seen as bright white. Those who drive (at night) would've probably noticed this before in your rearview mirror (I know I do, hence this revelation haha). These aren't just normal illumination and I presume its an after effect of them implementing SSR on car body panels. Recorded a video and cropped out a gif to show what I mean:

driveclub-rear-viewzqrjp.gif

I dno think those are scren space reflections (because they are off screen). Rather that is just a light source.

adelante

I dno think those are scren space reflections (because they are off screen). Rather that is just a light source.

Ah yeah with the game's abundant use of ssr on cars, I kinda assume it was that. In any case, I think they show off the specular reflections of distant cars better than other racing games, rear view mirrors actually look pretty realistic as a result.

Shaneus

Thought you guys may enjoy this small clip I saved from Driveclub a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF3akNZ-waA

It's legitimately terrifying driving in this weather.
That's inspired me to learn to drive in cockpit cam. I usually have trouble judging distance from the camera to each side of the car in that view (compared to bumper, when you know it's right in the middle) but that looks amazing.

Take some getting used to, though.

HTupolev

The things being reflected are on the same screen as the reflections, so it *could* be an SSR pass carried out on the reflected render.
However, given that it looks more like an analytical effect from the actual virtual light source, and given that DC otherwise doesn't use SSR in its rasterized reflections, I would guess it has nothing to do with SSR.

Probably just a matter of the BRDF being used; strong glancing reflections are pretty standard in high-quality specular reflections, but it's not exactly unheard of for racing games to cheap out on headlight quality. They often have to, as headlights can be expensive due to their massive casting region, and racing games often target high resolutions and framerates.

Ricky_R

Pardon the ignorance, but when someone says a certain effect is expensive, does it mean that said effect is expensive to produce in terms of man hours and budget or is it more about what it spends of the system's resources?

Pardon the ignorance, but when someone says a certain effect is expensive, does it mean that said effect is expensive to produce in terms of man hours and budget or is it more about what it spends of the system's resources?

Normally expensive in terms of resources.

Top Bottom