• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Also nice Porsche, but I don't this it's ok to use poor homeless people for box art. EA, you confuse me.
91bca2mmtol._sl1500_lzu58.jpg

Haha really car tuners are a dirty bunch, we make clean cars but forget to clean ourselves.
I know alot of people superhyped just from seeing the cover of this game.
I was sold from the first trailer.

FYI for Those that dont know.
From left to right on the cover.

Morohashi - Famous street outlaw...exmobster has a crazy Lambo.
Ken Block - Useless rally driver, but has the money to make cool car videos. Americans like him
Nakai - Famous car builder, widebody kits are like his specialty, all those widebody GT86s probably wearing one of his kits, thos super fat porsches....nakai again.
Magnus Walker- Builds som fast porsches with a unique style. Suprised they got him.
That one guy - Guessing hes from the risky devils crew.

On Topic
I see Need for Speed taking the crown once it launches, the lighting looks insane, the first trailer transition/mixing from live action to gameplay floored me.
Dusk till Dawn racing doesnt bother me...im guessing we will have some crazy sunrise/sunset shots from players.
Cant wait for this to drop.

desu

I see Need for Speed taking the crown once it launches, the lighting looks insane, the first trailer transition/mixing from live action to gameplay floored me.

I thought it looked pretty good at GC (PS4), not sure if it will take the crown as in the end, it didn't really leave a "wow" impression on me (unlike other games). On PC I can imagine it to look pretty damn amazing though in 4k.

Mascot

Haha really car tuners are a dirty bunch, we make clean cars but forget to clean ourselves.
I know alot of people superhyped just from seeing the cover of this game.
I was sold from the first trailer.

FYI for Those that dont know.
From left to right on the cover.

Morohashi - Famous street outlaw...exmobster has a crazy Lambo.
Ken Block - Useless rally driver, but has the money to make cool car videos. Americans like him
Nakai - Famous car builder, widebody kits are like his specialty, all those widebody GT86s probably wearing one of his kits, thos super fat porsches....nakai again.
Magnus Walker- Builds som fast porsches with a unique style. Suprised they got him.
That one guy - Guessing hes from the risky devils crew.

Oh shit, I didn't realise these were the actual people. I remember thinking that one guy looked like Magnus Walker and another looked like Ken Block. I just thought it was some clever subliminal looky-likey association shit that EA had pulled. Do these guys actually feature in the in-game cut scenes?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Oh shit, I didn't realise these were the actual people. I remember thinking that one guy looked like Magnus Walker and another looked like Ken Block. I just thought it was some clever subliminal looky-likey association shit that EA had pulled. Do these guys actually feature in the in-game cut scenes?

Looks like it could be. The long-haired-greasy-baseball-hat-dude isn't Magnus Walker though.

Yup I believe thye all feature in at least one cutscene each.
They are kinda the bosses of whatever aspect they represent.

And no that isnt Magnus.

Im sure they are background or just tere for a number of scenes.
I dont think ive ever heard Nakai or Moro speak english and no one wants to hear ken block so i doubt they have too many lines.

Not that it's a particularly fair comparison (60fps vs 30fps and all), but here's a pretty good comparison of Forza 6, Driveclub and PCars in a range of conditions, views etc. Some of you may recognise who one of the top comments is from lol. No guesses needed as to it's contents :p

Forza 6 vs. DriveClub vs. Project CARS | Graphics, Rain & Weather Gameplay Comparison (PS4 & Xbox)

Saw this pop up last night, Driveclub is just stunning.

It's not just the lighting and vfx, the audio and camera movement/angles put you right in there, it's an assault on the senses.

Big nag with Forza is everything is smooth, refined and pulled back leaving the experience a bit disconnected.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Not that it's a particularly fair comparison (60fps vs 30fps and all), but here's a pretty good comparison of Forza 6, Driveclub and PCars in a range of conditions, views etc. Some of you may recognise who one of the top comments is from lol.
Oh man.

Not that it's a particularly fair comparison (60fps vs 30fps and all), but here's a pretty good comparison of Forza 6, Driveclub and PCars in a range of conditions, views etc. Some of you may recognise who one of the top comments is from lol. No guesses needed as to it's contents :p

Forza 6 vs. DriveClub vs. Project CARS | Graphics, Rain & Weather Gameplay Comparison (PS4 & Xbox)

All those games look really nice, but DC clearly is ahead in visuals. Geometry and rendering just look better.

benzy

All these next-gen racers are lacking cascading dynamic interior shadows during night driving. :p

jyinncovoj.gif

klugcqlpqe.gif

Did he get banned on gaf? Haven't seen him here in a while.
But nothing wrong with beeing a forza fan, I just thought he was always unusually harsh on Driveclub.

benzy

Vsync you know ze reason for zat.

Easy to go gung-ho when a target frame rate isn't exactly a priority.

Even 30fps next-gen racers lack it, DC for example. Most of the framerate problems I've encountered in GT6 are from weather turned on. Night driving is pretty great.

adelante

All these next-gen racers are lacking cascading dynamic interior shadows during night driving. :p

https://d.maxfile.ro/jyinncovoj.gif[//img]

[img]https://d.maxfile.ro/klugcqlpqe.gif[//img][/QUOTE]

Jaw dropped when I first saw night highway racing of the game many years ago, I'm still in awe. And it's always got to do with those damn shadows. GT7's reveal can't come soon enough.

[quote="drugstore_cowboy, post: 178106447"]Vsync you know ze reason for zat.

Easy to go gung-ho when a target frame rate isn't exactly a priority.[/QUOTE]

Wait I might be misremembering things here, but even Driveclub doesn't have that right?

I'm surprised DC doesn't then. It's amazing GT still impresses.

Had a wheel and everything prepared for the GT7, couldn't wait forever. No doubt it could make me rebuy the stuff again though.

Makki

The rain especially.

Another level of annoyance. I was looking for a way to turn off the muddy chase camera effects immediately. I love the graphics but cant play Drive Club because of the headache inducing splash washout on any camera view.

Yiazmat

They also seem to be lacking shadows from the track lights. FM6 looks like the only one that has it. (and it's only one shadow, despite there being lights on both sides of the track)

GT5 was already doing multiple shadows at once in 2010.

night-shadows-2.gif

Hmmm, yeah, Driveclub looks quite a bit better than the other two in that video, especially lighting and weather effects. Forza and Project Cars do still look good, but yeah, Driveclub is kinda on another level in some aspects.

Also weird, when I first got to the weather/rain section of the video, it immediately started raining in real life as well. I think it's a sign.

Hmmm, yeah, Driveclub looks quite a bit better than the other two in that video, especially lighting and weather effects. Forza and Project Cars do still look good, but yeah, Driveclub is kinda on another level in some aspects.

Also weird, when I first got to the weather/rain section of the video, it immediately started raining in real life as well. I think it's a sign.

To be fair I think Project Cars looks great, even on Xbox One at whatever resolution it's running, frame rate is shit, granted but seeing them all together really puts things onto perspective.

killroy87

Gestault

That Driveclub clip with the rain absolutely stomps Forza 6/PC in the chase-cam view. I still don't understand why the current version of Project Cars has the on-lens effect for rain that it does. It really seems like a poor effect compared to everything else.

nib95

Banned
I think aside from the obvious graphical differences, DC's sound design also really stands out. It's the only one of the above that makes rain sound truly atmospheric and torrential.

Driveclub wins once again, but it is in 30fps while Forza 6 seems to be sacrificing a lot for the 60fps.

They should've compared Driveclub on actual race tracks however.

There's usually a point after a certain period of time/amount of time spent with a game where I get used to how good it looks and it doesn't wow me much any more. Not with DC. Every time I see it it just floors me. Damn.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think aside from the obvious graphical differences, DC's sound design also really stands out. It's the only one of the above that makes rain sound truly atmospheric and torrential.

That is something I agree with as well. The strong rain sound is visceral like it is in a real car.

That said I am surprised the damage quality is so low in the Forza part of the video. None are great, but I thought Forza would be closer to PC than to DC.

Mascot

That Driveclub clip with the rain absolutely stomps Forza 6/PC in the chase-cam view. I still don't understand why the current version of Project Cars has the on-lens effect for rain that it does. It really seems like a poor effect compared to everything else.

It's the first thing I turned off when I got the game.

Who are we talking about in the 'top comments' section in that video, BTW..? A banned GAFer? No name jumped out at me.

desu

They should've compared Driveclub on actual race tracks however.

Felt the same, would have been a bit closer comparison then.

F6 looked pretty meh in that video. I didn't totally impress me at GC but I thought it looked better than in the video.

Also the pCars water spray effect looks terrible in the video.

I don't mind how Forza looks but they really need to fix that car shader tech, the lighting looks awful and cartoon. It doesn't blend in with the road.

btags

Felt the same, would have been a bit closer comparison then.

F6 looked pretty meh in that video. I didn't totally impress me at GC but I thought it looked better than in the video.

Also the pCars water spray effect looks terrible in the video.

Does driveclub have actual tracks? I thought it was just fantasy tracks.

When the forza clip starts in the rain, It looks like the car is floating on the track lol

DC looks and sounds astounding, PC looks none too shabby either.

Leatherface

It's not even close to me. DriveClub is just on another lever in the graphics and sound department. Those details.

Driveclub's graphics and weather are so fucking awesome, I could just watch it all day, it never gets old with how amazing it looks. Forza and PC both look great too though.

Makes me wonder how good GT7 will look now. If they go for 60fps, I guess it will land somewhere between Forza and DC, with PS4 being a little more powerful than Xbox One, but 60fps will stop it looking quite as good as DC, unless PD pull off a miracle and get DC quality graphics at 60fps, can't see that happening though.

They all don't look great at 30 fps. I'll say DC wins that battle I guess. But 60fps is equally as important to me as shiny graphics. I'd take an uglier PCars or Forza 6 over DC every day to play at 60 fps. 30fps and racing games just aren't good in my opinion. But there is no deny the beauty of DC, it simply is stunning to look at.

Top Bottom