• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

lfagt6npu3t.gif

Madness... looks real

desu

Man seeing the GT5 video really has increased my urge to finally see GT7, but I guess its either at PSX at the end of the year or next E3.

Because Driveclub is designed to look smooth at 30fps and uses motion blur with a 180° shutter angle.

Motion blur is generally absent from 60fps, that's why they suffer in the 30fps conversion.

Well, to be precise, FM5 did use some MB ingame (not sure about fm6) but it was likely 90° angle, which is the right amount for 60fps, not enough for 30.

So maybe Turn 10 needs to change its philosophy.

Like I said, 10 year Vet here, and I don't like these hospital room looking graphics anymore.
I think the mechanics are the best, but c'mon man how about a little realism, a little grittier looking.

Just played Driveclub with camera shake set to 0 for the first time... its 10 times more enjoyable now

If devs love the shakes so much so be it but they should all give the option to turn it off

:bow Evo studios

Lol after 3 months, I never even knew this was possible, will try tonight.

ghibli99

To keep it 100 with you gaf I found this moment in that comparison vid shocking!

KrdRXY.gif
Pretty crazy difference. I just can't for the life of me get into DC, but clips like this make me want to give it another try.

Edit: And I honestly don't remember FM6 looking as bad as it does in that clip... maybe because I never use the chase cam.

Majanew

Banned
Hmm, I could have sworn there were shadows and reflections of your car when I played the demo. Guess I'll need to fire it up in a few. I hope GT7 can look as good as DC @ 60fps, because as hot as DC is graphically, it wasn't fun.

To keep it 100 with you gaf I found this moment in that comparison vid shocking!

KrdRXY.gif

Holy shit. That's quite a difference.

All graphical differences aside...Personally I think that the camera is way too high behind the car in Forza. The car model just not seems right and you hardly see the tires. Some cars seem to fly.

ghibli99

In a thread specifically about graphics, I'd actually be interested in seeing how FM6 has improved over FM5. Maybe that's been done to death, though.

DD

I wonder what people expect in a career mode for a racing game? Do you want codemasters style commentary explaining every race and commentating your career path with unskippable dialogue? Need for Speed style cheesiness with corny dialogue and bad cutscenes? I dunno, I really enjoyed the Tours in DC, and the season pass added even more enjoyment.

I didn't said that. Or are you saying this because I mentioned that Dirt Rally is an amazing game right above? If you don't know yet, Dirt Rally is a totally different beast than it's predecessors. Its a hardcore sim now, without all that crap from previous games. Dirt Rally is and improvement over that old Colin McRae formula. Forget the previous Dirts. They only share the same name. Grid Autosport is also another kind of beast. Another amazing game that was ignored because of its name, unfortunately. You should give it a try. :)

But people also want somewhat of a growth and ownership experience, myself included. I want to start off in that cheap hatchback, then slowly progress to a sports car and eventually a hypercar. But along the way I want to feel like I earned each car, that I had a choice in which to buy next, and what color it was and its livery.
This would be cool. :)

I wish I could at least do some long championships instead of the ones of one or two races (hell, the longest ones have three [!!!] races). Something like "King of the Mountain", where you have to face all the mountain tracks in a sensible order (Americas > Europe > Asia) and see who scores more points; or a rally mode with all the point-to-point tracks, you alone in a time attack. Whoever ends with the shortest time wins. You know, something big, meaningful. Something that demand balls and time to achieve. I don't like career modes with mini championships like it is in Driveclub or Dirt 2 and 3, for example. A want a nemesis. I want the possibility to finish in 10th place and think it is Ok, because I can do better on the next races instead of simply restarting the last one. I want to fell my ass kicked. :)

EDIT: this is the career mode I've made to myself in Driveclub. My own "King of the Mountain" championship. >:3

54ZqPY.png

The worst would be something like GT5's waste of the NASCAR licenses, or the Top Gear one. Where you don't have a structured progression within a discipline at all, just a mish mash of options available without rhyme or reason.
Sheesh, I haven't played GT5, but it sounds as awful as Forza 4.

RibMan

KrdRXY.gif

Night and day difference. The graphics in Driveclub are just stunning. If these were the old Gamespot days, Forza would score a 6/10 in graphics, and Driveclub would get a 10/10.

GrayFoxBH

I didn't said that. Or are you saying this because I mentioned that Dirt Rally is an amazing game right above? If you don't know yet, Dirt Rally is a totally different beast than it's predecessors. Its a hardcore sim now, without all that crap from previous games. Dirt Rally is and improvement over that old Colin McRae formula. Forget the previous Dirts. They only share the same name. Grid Autosport is also another kind of beast. Another amazing game that was ignored because of its name, unfortunately. You should give it a try. :)

This would be cool. :)

I wish I could at least do some long championships instead of the ones of one or two races (hell, the longest ones have three [!!!] races). Something like "King of the Mountain", where you have to face all the mountain tracks in a sensible order (Americas > Europe > Asia) and see who scores more points; or a rally mode with all the point-to-point tracks, you alone in a time attack. Whoever ends with the shortest time wins. You know, something big, meaningful. Something that demand balls and time to achieve. I don't like career modes with mini championships like it is in Driveclub or Dirt 2 and 3, for example. A want a nemesis. I want the possibility to finish in 10th place and think it is Ok, because I can do better on the next races instead of simply restarting the last one. I want to fell my ass kicked. :)

EDIT: this is the career mode I've made to myself in Driveclub. My own "King of the Mountain" championship. >:3

54ZqPY.png

Sheesh, I haven't played GT5, but it sounds as awful as Forza 4.
You need to play GT6. It's a fantastic game, and aged REALLY well.

timlot

Banned

KrdRXY.gif

What stands out to me is assets in the two scenes: Open Track vs Lush trees on back streach.
Camera view: Close and low vs far and high.

There are some suspect DriveClub pics out there too. Les we all pick and choose what to compare.
Driveclub_03.jpg

DD

KrdRXY.gif

All the things already said before (60 FPS, better physics, more cars on track, etc.), Sebring is probably the most boring looking track of the world. Even the Tilke tracks looks more interesting than Sebring, whilst that Canadian track in Driveclub have all those mountains and trees. It's kind of unfair to compare, heh.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Wow the difference is so huge. It is still unfair to compare a 30fps game with 60fps one though. Hopefully when next-gen consoles arrive, we will get many 60fps racing games with DC graphics.

and we will get 30fps racing games with better graphics, and everyone will say the exact same things.

There's two reasons why we should expect DC's graphics to be better than F6 outside of each game's developer and their coding prowess: 1. The PS4's better processing power and 2. DC is 30 fps.

Anarion07

But graphics come at a tradeoff of other things. It wouldn't be fair to say "this game looks like shit" without being aware of why its graphics are inferior to another game.

Yes, and noone here suggested otherwise, did they?
Doesn't change the fact that graphically, especially in this gif, the differences are immense

Forza went for an advanced driving simulation and frames per second, DC went for an advanced weather and lighting simulation. This is kind of what I was saying; one game used the available resources to try to make a realistic driving model, and the other decided to prioritise realistic lighting and weather, or in simple terms, gameplay vs graphics. That isn't to say DC isn't fun, but its driving model is nowhere near as advanced as Forza.

I'm sorry and I really like Forza but it is fuck all like a realistic driving model and isn't anywhere close to being a sim. The biggest achievement Turn 10 did was getting that trigger to work perfectly rather than having to use an analogue stick like in GT to get decent throttle control.

Im at a loss for words when I hear that 60 fps is a great trade off to sacrifice graphics, and get such a huge difference in what the final product looks like.

Tripolygon

Banned
But graphics come at a tradeoff of other things. It wouldn't be fair to say "this game looks like shit" without being aware of why its graphics are inferior to another game.
People are mostly saying DC looks better compared to other racers, some people are making the usual hyperbolic comments.

We all know half the frame rate with a more powerful console and some competent developers would make for a pretty game.

People just can't simply adhere to the premise of the thread they resort to calling DC boring or sacrificing gameplay which it doesn't or the usual less advanced physics which is also false. DC is based on real world car physics with assists turn on by default. You have to know how to break and take corners just like sim racers and if you suck at Sim you will suck in DC.

M52B28

Banned
People just can't simply adhere to the premise of the thread they resort to calling DC boring or sacrificing gameplay which it doesn't or the usual less advanced physics which is also false. DC is based on real world car physics with assists turn on by default. You have to know how to break and take corners just like sim racers and if you suck at Sim you will suck in DC.

Not exactly how it works.

It is still a very unrealistic game.

That's like me saying that PGR4 is realistic, they just have a myriad of assists on to help me drive better even though I don't need them.

It seems like people can only gawk at and represent the graphics instead of the gameplay.

And the GIF of FM6 is not a good example. Sebring is a wide open field with a track planted in it, so there is going to be less wows in terms of graphics. There are no vistas on the track.

Nurburgring would be a more accurate comparison.

ShutterMunster

I feel like that's a pretty poor representation of Forza—Gamersyde has some HQ footage that looks great—but even then Driveclub still looks damn near a generation better. It's absurd. If that's truly the trade off for 60fps, 24 cars, and advanced physics calculations I'm not sure it's worth it. Sure the hardcore sim racing guys disagree, but DC is so much more immersive. I guess we'll truly know once GT7 comes out. A lot of people seem to be betting the house on that game.

There's two reasons why we should expect DC's graphics to be better than F6 outside of each game's developer and their coding prowess: 1. The PS4's better processing power and 2. DC is 30 fps.

Nothing to do with the environment artists, the car modelers, the programmers or the designers then? Just that one is 30 the other is 60?

You really don't have to know how to brake. If I used practices and etiquette I learned in iRacing and tried to apply them to DC, I would lose pretty often. Rules like slow in, fast out just don't apply, you go around corners faster by approaching at max speed them slamming the brakes whole steering.

btags

Unless you're using a wheel it doesn't make much difference as there is no way to make using a controller feel like 'driving' even with the best simulations going on.

By that logic any game with driving could be considered to have the same basic handling. Are you saying something like GTA, or hell, even an old game like cruisin' USA feels the just as realistic as driveclub or forza because you use a controller to drive?

I've never understood that eye candy over gameplay thing anyway considering dynamic lighting, weather, day/night transitions, etc. all affect gameplay and offer more gameplay variety.

Top Bottom