• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Anarion07

For everyone who wants to see Forza ahead of DC, here's a thought:

Thread: Next-gen Racing Physics Simulation Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

So this one here can stay on track

shandy706

That gif moment on the previous page is an awful comparison.

Forza 6 can look incredible. That's one of the moments where it's like taking the worst screenshot up against another games best.

DC is and should be the better looking game. That is a particularly rough comparison still though, lol.

That gif looks beyond a generation apart, surely there's something more flattering out there for Forza. Spa and Nurburgring at least don't look as flat and featureless as Sebring.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Comparison is useless if you cram a 60fps game into a 30fps video

Are you serious or am I falling for it again? You really think 60fps would make these two comparable?

KrdRXY.gif

I've been had again, haven't I? I know it's not the most flattering section we've seen for Forza 6 but they're not even close.

If the comaprison in that gif truly is terrible we should seek a better comparison. I don't think its going to make a difference but would like to see someone do better.

Tripolygon

Banned
You really don't have to know how to brake. If I used practices and etiquette I learned in iRacing and tried to apply them to DC, I would lose pretty often. Rules like slow in, fast out just don't apply, you go around corners faster by approaching at max speed them slamming the brakes whole steering.
Bullshit, same rules you use in Sim applies in DC otherwise you get this atrocious bumper car driving you experience in multiplayer. In fact there is no racing lines (use your imaginations) in DC, they place flag poles to hint when a slight turn, medium or sharp turn is ahead so you slow down. Does everyone follow the rules of course not, people like to take shortcuts.

shandy706

If the comaprison in that gif truly is terrible we should seek a better comparison. I don't think its going to make a difference but would like to see someone do better.

Those of us that have it early are locked out of sharing video and screenshots...I believe. I'll know this evening.

crazyprac

Rain on windshield looks more realistic in FM6. I also don't like how DC's rain looks like white spikes.

Uh what?? Have you driven that way in the rain? The streaks on side windows and how the rain streaks to the side on the windshield is more realistic than the almost static rain drops on forzas side windows and lack of any action on windshield which can be attributed to not having a downpour unlike driveclubs.

Majanew

Banned
Uh what?? Have you driven that way in the rain? The streaks on side windows and how the rain streaks to the side on the windshield is more realistic than the almost static rain drops on forzas side windows and lack of any action on windshield which can be attributed to not having a downpour unlike driveclubs.

I've actually played both on my own HDTV. DC looks really cool, but it always just looked a little oily. And the white spikes coming down kill the realism.

Gestault

As an owner of both games, this a definitely a more accurate comparison. You could honestly make some really unflattering/flattering versions of both games, even given similar conditions. Just for an example, the first time I did a 360 spin-out in Forza 6 with the rain pooled up, my jaw dropped.

Yeah, Driveclub still looks much better. The rain on the windshield in Forza 6 looks really, really bad. Definitely a better comparison though.

Beyond just saying it looks bad, care to point out the features of it that make it "really really bad" or alternatively, what makes it unrealistic?

This thread has too much unclear wording and strange expectiations.

crazyprac

I've actually played both on my own HDTV. DC looks really cool, but it always just looked a little oily. And the white spikes coming down kill the realism.

Im asking if you've driven like that in the rain in real life. Because you would then know which rain is more "realistic" than the other when going at that speed or correcting your steering abruptly like that.

thelastword

Banned
They still have the best looking 1080p/60 fps racer on console (and likely will until Polyphony launches something). In terms of 30 fps racers I think Need for Speed has promise to be the best looking 30 fps racer, but until then it is Driveclub.

Need for Speed is on another level. Should be interesting to see how the XB1 version turns out. DriveClub has a realistic color palette that Forza just isn't doing. NFS being multiplatform with those graphics tells me the way a game looks has more to do with developers design direction than hardware.
I keep hearing this about NFS, is there new footage I haven't seen. Are we just going on the footage from E3 still?

Project Cars scenery and texture quality looks last gen. Forza 6 is decent for the most part, until it starts raining and it looks like the car is floating in mid air. Driveclub's lighting is still unprecedented, and the rain effects are stunning.
I think Project Cars looks better over F6, better IQ, better effects, better lighting and better quality geometry. The only thing I criticized about it are some weak textures visible in back ground on certain tracks. Overall, I'd say it looks better. For what's it worth, it has more cars onscreen and it holds 60fps much better now than before, especially in intense races with lots of cars and effects.

I would kill to see a new Auto Modellista with current tech (and decent gameplay mechanichs :p)
That would be swell now wouldn't it? If Konami wasn't going down I'd even want to see another Enthusia......Square Enix can keep Driving Emotion Type S though ;)

There's almost no reflection of the players headlights on the Corvette ahead. I'm so spoiled by Driveclub...
I'm trying to see what's he's seeing but I don't see it....

To keep it 100 with you gaf I found this moment in that comparison vid shocking!

KrdRXY.gif
Pretty much the whole vid was like a generation apart, but that part reminded me of the floaty mechanics in Cruisin' Usa, Hydro Thunder and San Francisco Rush.....

In a thread specifically about graphics, I'd actually be interested in seeing how FM6 has improved over FM5. Maybe that's been done to death, though.
I'd like to see that too, love to see what the upgrades are in visual form, don't think that has been done tbh...

Majanew

Banned
Im asking if you've driven like that in the rain in real life. Because you would then know which rain is more "realistic" than the other when going at that speed or correcting your steering abruptly like that.

No, I've never seen rain in real life while driving. I live in a bubble.

Oh, and the rain will move on the windshield in FM6 when you're turning.

Anarion07

Basically this.
I read that rain drops fall at about 9 m/s...
so even at 60 FPS, thats a 15 cm (edit: 5,9 inches) fall in 1 frame.
You'd need a beast of a rig to get to framerates where you can see individual drops

that's why you have "spikes" instead of drops.

Tripolygon

Banned

Oh, and the rain will move on the windshield in FM6 when you're turning.
It is atrocious , you can't see shit. I was hugging the car in front just to get a reference if I was still on the road.

Forza 6 windshield is just an effect, well it is not as real looking as DC where the water clump together to form larger pools and different every time . I don't think I've seen an identical weather pattern or windscreen wipe in DC. Everything is just dynamic. It's amazing how they achieved that.

crazyprac

I'm not saying you are dude. I'm asking politely if you've driven at that speed in rain. Cause I have and I can tell you its more like DC than forza. Ill gladly take you for a ride at a track or autox if you live around DC metropolitan area and do abrupt turns to get those "spikes" and all those little streaks. Just have a helmet cause I only got a small one for gf unless you fit that lol.

But if this thread was which is more realistic to "drive" then definitely forza. But its talking about graphics so...

AndyD

aka andydumi

What really throws me with this one, and the other F6 gif is the weird white "mist cloud" right next to the bumper/wheels of cars in front but nowhere else (no rooster tails). It makes the cars appear disconnected from the road and ruins the image the most to me. It almost looks like shadowing by the car is not applied to the mist in that spot.

Here's what true rain racing would look like to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDQatnFUA3E

Beyond just saying it looks bad, care to point out the features of it that make it "really really bad" or alternatively, what makes it unrealistic?

This thread has too much unclear wording and strange expectiations.
For one, the raindrops don't actually look like they're being pushed around by the wipers. They don't coalesce realistically either. I'm not gonna act like I know all the terminology so I'll just say it looks like an image appears/fades out when they're wiped away and when they coalesce. It's very apparent at the sides of the windshield. And while drops do react to the movement of the car, it's far more toned down and less natural looking than in Driveclub. I do think the droplets are a bit too big on windshields in DC, though.

Majanew

Banned
It is atrocious , you can't see shit. I was hugging the car in front just to get a reference if I was still on the road.

Yeah in a heavy downpour with a shitload of spray from the road being thrown up on your windshield from vehicles in front and beside you -- something I haven't seen in DC or FM.

I'm not saying you are dude. I'm asking politely if you've driven at that speed in rain. Cause I have and I can tell you its more like DC than forza. Ill gladly take you for a ride at a track or autox if you live around DC metropolitan area and do abrupt turns to get those "spikes" and all those little streaks. Just have a helmet cause I only got a small one for gf unless you fit that lol.

But if this thread was which is more realistic to "drive" then definitely forza. But its talking about graphics so...
Sorry, the rain might not be coming down as heavily in FM6 as in DC, but that effect looks better to me. I'll go replay both tonight to see if I still feel the same after refreshing my memory.

btags

What stands out to me is assets in the two scenes: Open Track vs Lush trees on back streach.
Camera view: Close and low vs far and high.

There are some suspect DriveClub pics out there too. Les we all pick and choose what to compare.
Driveclub_03.jpg

Also, not that it makes a dramatic difference, but the camera in driveclub is much more cinematic and has more drastic movement, whereas the forza camera is "stable" making it look more sterile.

Bullshit, same rules you use in Sim applies in DC otherwise you get this atrocious bumper car driving you experience in multiplayer. In fact there is no racing lines (use your imaginations) in DC, they place flag poles to hint when a slight turn, medium or sharp turn is ahead so you slow down. Does everyone follow the rules of course not, people like to take shortcuts.

But my times are much faster if I race ruthlessly and aggressively with no contact. If I race cleanly like a sim racer, I do worse. The game is far from sim, it might be simcade at a HUGE stretch, but the physics are totally unrealistic.

shandy706

One thing I noticed in DC is that the drops move either before or after the blade contacts them. I don't remember which it was off the top of my head. There was a tiny delay one way or the other. Been a while.

That's next tier nitpicking though.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Sorry, the rain might not be coming down as heavily in FM6 as in DC, but that effect looks better to me. I'll go replay both tonight to see if I still feel the same after refreshing my memory.

Come on, you can't be serious. Look at how the water, gathered at the edge by the windscreen wipers, then bleeds back out into the windscreen and moves according to direction and physics. There's so much more going on in those giffs it's not even comparable.

Tripolygon

Banned
But my times are much faster if I race ruthlessly and aggressively with no contact. If I race cleanly like a sim racer, I do worse. The game is far from sim, it might be simcade at a HUGE stretch, but the physics are totally unrealistic.
Hey everyone's experience is different, that is why gameplay is a subjective thing to bring into this thread. I've seen some outstanding driving from fellow gaffers who just seem to know every inch of the road in DC. If you can, post a gameplay video on YouTube the next time you play. Maybe I can learn a thing or two from your driving.

As an owner of both games, this a definitely a more accurate comparison. You could honestly make some really unflattering/flattering versions of both games, even given similar conditions. Just for an example, the first time I did a 360 spin-out in Forza 6 with the rain pooled up, my jaw dropped.

I hope it has some surprises for me like that, because I am pretty disappointed in Turn 10.

Majanew

Banned
Come on, you can't be serious. Look at how the water, gathered at the edge by the windscreen wipers, then bleeds back out into the windscreen and moves according to direction and physics. There's so much more going on in those giffs it's not even comparable.

Playing FM6 I can tell you rain will move on the windshield according to the direction you're moving.

Mr Moose

Is it just me or are trees missing in the mirror? I thought I noticed it in the video a few pages back with other items missing.

There are 3 picture-in-picture mirrors being rendered in interior view, so I'm not surprised that everything is lower LOD with a tiny view distance. It's more than clear enough to see cars appropaching and that's all that matters really.

I wouldn't really notice it if I was driving in the game (I don't pay that much attention to what's behind me lol).

Is it just me or are trees missing in the mirror? I thought I noticed it in the video a few pages back with other items missing.

There are 3 picture-in-picture mirrors being rendered in interior view, so I'm not surprised that everything is lower LOD with a tiny view distance. It's more than clear enough to see cars appropaching and that's all that matters really.

JP

To keep it 100 with you gaf I found this moment in that comparison vid shocking!

KrdRXY.gif

I think that first one is pretty much a worst case scenario but I do think it does still stand as a comparison.

Talking about the graphics, which is the reason for this thread but not the be all and end all of a game being good and bad, graphics are incredibly important because they are the primary way that a game communicates with us as players. One of the things that I keep complimenting DriveClub on is it's possibly unmatched ability of creating a sense of place, creating an environment that has real weight to it and makes you feel that you're actually a part of it rather than it being something else, something less substantial which is usually what happens.

I think of it as graphics as content, instead of graphics as decoration which is the traditional way of treating graphics.

There has been many games that have had wonderful graphics of many different styles and I'm not in any way suggesting that DriveClub is perfect, it's not, but I honestly don't think that anything has really come close to DriveCub in this way. Strangely, the games for me that have come closest are GT5 and GT6 in the newer locations where they've model the whole environment and the lighting ties everything together and gives it that wonderful sense of place that seems to be lacking far too often.

Again, Gran Turismo is far from perfect but it's something that I'll happily wait for on the PS4.

Anarion07

With a little extrapolation, the street and your car are "all that matters" really.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Playing FM6 I can tell you rain will move on the windshield according to the direction you're moving.

Looking at that Gif, I can't see how it's possible for Forza 6 to equal Driveclub, even if what you say is true. There's fluidity and a physical presence to the water physics in Driveclub. On Forza 6 it doesn't even look physics based. It just looks like an animated texture.

le-seb

To be fair, DriveClub's mirrors also lack bits of the scenery (e.g. : electric lines) and most - if not all? - particle effects (including precipitations).

etta

my hard graphic balls
There are some suspect DriveClub pics out there too. Les we all pick and choose what to compare.
Driveclub_03.jpg
Oof.

Can't believe someone actually used a comparison video from a YouTuber who limited the FM6 part of the clip to 30fps on purpose.

Top Bottom