• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

d9b

Banned
Again - no one is disagreeing, from what I've seen. I'm not sure what you mean by "it's finished, it's over". You make it sound like it's a competition of some sort.
The title of this thread is "Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)" That sure sounds like a competition to me. And it certainly looks like we have a winner too- DClub.

TBiddy

No it's not a competition, it's page after page after page of proof, counter excuse, proof counter excuse. When I say 'it's finished, it's over,' I'm referring to THAT particular tooing and froing.

So that means no more low quality gifs touting the graphical prowess of DC?

Such a shame.

T.O.P

Banned
The title of this thread is "Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)" That sure sounds like a competition to me. And it certainly looks like we have a winner too- DClub.

People should add this to the title

I'd be disappointed if someone came in the thread without knowing that already

Fess

Again, we have two independent comparison videos and they are both cherry picked? I invite people to post a more "fair" video to Forza.
One showed DC and PC running at 30fps and FM6 in like 15fps. I get that this is a graphics thread and not a framerate thread but the framerate still needs to be shown since it makes the graphics nicer without blur and stuttering, and it obviously explains why there is a graphics difference. You don't compare Uncharted 4 with MGSV and show MGSV running at 15fps. :/
The other video was all right I guess but it was just showing the rain which we already know DC does better, not much to debate there.

This is a nice 60fps video showing FM6 and nurburgring, which has some nice track details, and the guy playing is great too, and drives a fast car, and uses a wheel. It's all good really. Check it out :) (note: looks like ass within the iPad Safari browser here at GAF, looks good in the Youtube app though)
http://youtu.be/rVWyHtbp6c0

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So that means no more low quality gifs touting the graphical prowess of DC?

Such a shame.

It doesn't matter what the quality of the gif is. You can see through that bad quality to the truth. No where on earth, given a balanced individual, would anyone ever say that the cars in this gif in no way demonstrate a stark difference between the two games. Look at the car for goodness sake:

XUvfl12.gif

You could post the worse possible version of that gif and still you'd see why DC is the better looking.

Wow, that's not night and day there.

For a forum which consists of technical and enthusiastic people, using gifs to compare is slightly hilarious.

This is a technical discussion for people who aren't very technical apparently. Its actually tremendously shallow.

The whole thread was fucked from the off because it doesn't know what it is, despite some posters insisting that it has a clear premise.

From the OP...
The only rules I'd like to see adhered to are as follows:

(1) Please name the game. In the title, in the post, whichever. Yes, it may be obvious to a lot of us, but it just keeps things simpler for everyone.
(2) Specify if it's from a photo mode or real-time.
(3) Please be careful with quoting long/large image-posts. It's gonna be choppy enough in here for mobile users as it is.

This thread would be best of being closed and a new one started with some clear parameters for discussion. Right now, it is a complete waste of time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like this level-headed comment. Specifically these parts.

It's just such a weird discussion, like there's some accomplishment in Driveclub, a game running on the more powerful of the two platforms and at half the framerate, looks better. No shit? Congratulations that the most obviously advantageous rendering engine and context results in a better looking game?

What exactly is there to discuss?

nib95

Banned
I remember being massively under whelmed by Drive Club when I first played it. The earlier, busier tracks in bright daylight do not highlight how good the game can look. Aliasing everywhere, shit texture filtering like most console games, blah. Comes together during rain/snow/darkness where the dynamic lighting comes to life and the image is covered in blurry post processing shit to hide aliasing and texture blemishes.

I don't really understand the rampant comparisons to Forza 6 though. Drive Club does look better (though "generation difference" is stretching it), but that's to be expected when it's presented at running at half the fucking framerate, and the former is on a console that struggles to hit 1080p let alone at 60fps.

I don't think the comparisons are rampant specifically to Forza 6, it's just that happens to be the newest game release, hence also the newest and most popular title to be compared to Driveclub. Both Horizon 2 and Project Cars took that role for a time too. I fully expect Need for Speed to be in this thread a lot once that releases, and likewise for Gran Turismo 7. Similar to Forza 6, GT7 being 60fps won't stop those comparisons from being made.

Regarding Driveclub's IQ, I think they may have improved the anti-aliasing and motion blur a bit since it first released. Or at least it appears to be a touch cleaner now than before, especially in motion. Someone did a comparison a while back where there appeared to be less filtering noise and aliasing in the newer version if I remember correctly. It will be interesting to see what next months update holds, because they are supposedly going to improve the visuals even further. More interesting when Need for Speed drops too, because that looks to be the first game that will really challenge DC (as it should at 30fps).

c0de

Except when there are no weather or lighting effects, then it looks a bit shite. I have made this claim before, so stopped into my local Game on Saturday to have another go, and yep, no weather and low angle lighting and it looks a bit pants compared to the gifs and vids thrown around.

What is up with the line in the middle of the image? And yes, Driveclub of course can look like a last gen game. There is nothing in this image that screams next-gen.

Fess

You probably should use the consoles screenshot functions instead of off screen phone shots, they will look much better.
Don't know how :S But they still show what I talked about, DC has a way of showing dull weather like it's used to look, I don't think it looks too dull at all, in Forza 6 it's like everything has a shine filter applied, less so than in FM5 but it's still there.

M52B28

Banned
The clear daytime weather in Driveclub doesn't look right. It looks like there's a filter over the image which makes it look darker than it should be.

I'd love to see some day time comparisons of the two.

As some have said, the comparison is getting old as we know which game is obviously going to look better mainly due to the platform it is on, though that's not too say that FM6 looks bad at all.
Don't know how :S But they still show what I talked about, DC has a way of showing dull weather like it's used to look, I don't think it looks too dull at all, in Forza 6 it's like everything has a shine filter applied, less so than in FM5 but it's still there.
Have you ever driven on a mountainside in mid day? If so, you'd understand that the sun is a very powerful and bright object that is capable of putting out blinding light, which in hand, makes FMs rendition accurate.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's just such a weird discussion, like there's some accomplishment in Driveclub, a game running on the more powerful of the two platforms and at half the framerate, looks better. No shit? Congratulations that the most obviously advantageous rendering engine and context results in a better looking game?

What exactly is there to discuss?

I think the title is pretty hard to misinterpret.

We discuss the best looking racers and fawn over how they achieved those glorious visuals. What's the confusion about? Not like it's out of character for a GAF thread in the slightest.

I see it as a celebration of the love that's been poured into these games in terms of the visual department. Highlighting small technical touches and stylistic choices that make for a visual image so good that it drops your jaw. Some developers really go the extra mile and i'm sure people appreciate their work getting highlighted.

It went to shit when the comparisons to F6 weren't as favorable as some people hoped, but that'll pass. F6 is still a great game in it's own right.
I personally can't wait for some photomode shots and gifs of the new NFS, it looks like it has potential to dethrone the current king.

airjoca

Except when there are no weather or lighting effects, then it looks a bit shite. I have made this claim before, so stopped into my local Game on Saturday to have another go, and yep, no weather and low angle lighting and it looks a bit pants compared to the gifs and vids thrown around.

niuls0dtq80f8880ver6.jpg

Try looking at Canada or Japan with the same lighting conditions. There's not much to show in a desert except scope and distance.

timlot

Banned
XUvfl12.gif

Just played the Forza 6 demo again and have to say Forza doesn't look that bad at all. Looking at this gif what I see as the main difference is the camera angle. Drive Club uses a closer and lower trail camera while Forza is higher and farther back. DC camera is so low in fact in some cases the car actually obscures the road ahead. It does make the car look larger on screen and because you are closer it gives a more frantic sense of speed. If Forza had a low and close camera view I doubt the difference would be so dramatic.

Purest 78

niuls0dtq80f8880ver6.jpg

Driveclub isn't a static game Like real life it can look average. Go to the same area At a different time it can look beautiful just like real life.

MilkyJoe

Try looking at Canada or Japan with the same lighting conditions. There's not much to show in a desert except scope and distance.

google - Driveclub Japan. the first picture that is not lighting or weather and you get

rekyv.jpg

It's nothing to get shirty about. The game's strength is in the lighting and weather effects. These ae just the canvas those effects are applied to.

Driveclub isn't a static game Like real life it can look average. Go to the same area At a different time it can look beautiful just like real life.

That's my point.

airjoca

google - Driveclub Japan. the first picture that is not lighting or weather and you get

rekyv.jpg

It's nothing to get shirty about. The game's strength is in the lighting and weather effects. These ae just the canvas those effects are applied to.

That's my point.

The trees are "next gen". :)

And during regular weather in daytime conditions, Driveclub definitely looks better in motion.

Purest 78

google - Driveclub Jean. the first picture that is not lighting or weather and you get

rekyv.jpg

That's my point.

Their aim was Realism Imo and they nailed it. The dynamic Lighting,weather,Clouds is unmatched

It went to shit when the comparisons to F6 weren't as favorable as some people hoped, but that'll pass. F6 is still a great game in it's own right.
I personally can't wait for some photomode shots and gifs of the new NFS, it looks like it has potential to dethrone the current king.

It goes to shit when people can't agree what constitutes 'graphics', and when some people start to tell others what this thread is and isn't about, when the OP had made no distinction. If there are any fanboys posting here, it is the DC enthusiasts who want to compare images completely out of context. A straight up comparison is pointless as it is clear as day which game looks better in stills and low-res gifs and nobody is arguing that.

ShapeGSX

niuls0dtq80f8880ver6.jpg

Those road and terrain textures are horrible. I guess they look better when they're obscured by the rain or darkness (i.e. you can't see them).

Synth

No it's not a competition, it's page after page after page of proof, counter excuse, proof counter excuse. When I say 'it's finished, it's over,' I'm referring to THAT particular tooing and froing.

Then don't post in it. You're not the gatekeeper of how the conversation progresses. If people want to state how a particalur heavily quoted gif is misrepresentative then they can/will... if you don't want to end the "to and fro", then stop fro-ing.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781

Annnd we've come full circle again. There should be a counter for this argument whenever is comes around the the games discussed.

Marlenus

What is up with the line in the middle of the image? And yes, Driveclub of course can look like a last gen game. There is nothing in this image that screams next-gen.

The line looks like a message that was just appearing or disappearing.

TBiddy

It doesn't matter what the quality of the gif is. You can see through that bad quality to the truth. No where on earth, given a balanced individual, would anyone ever say that the cars in this gif in no way demonstrate a stark difference between the two games. Look at the car for goodness sake:

You could post the worse possible version of that gif and still you'd see why DC is the better looking.

I'm still not sure why you think I think the two games look alike. Are you even reading what I'm posting?

Posting low-quality gifs doesn't do either of the games justice, though.

ShapeGSX

Don't forget, even at it's worst it still looks better than all it's competition.

Not in that picture it doesn't! (Yes, I got your sarcasm.)

The tiny GIFs, the rain, and the darkness all obscure the low res textures of Driveclub. The tiny GIFs also obscure the sharpness of Forza's environment textures.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
XUvfl12.gif

Just played the Forza 6 demo again and have to say Forza doesn't look that bad at all. Looking at this gif what I see as the main difference is the camera angle. Drive Club uses a closer and lower trail camera while Forza is higher and farther back. DC camera is so low in fact in some cases the car actually obscures the road ahead. It does make the car look larger on screen and because you are closer it gives a more frantic sense of speed. If Forza had a low and close camera view I doubt the difference would be so dramatic.

Yes, I've played Driveclub and Driveclub looks better than that too. This thread has become nothing but 'Driveclub V damage control. We have the answer and now need to await other racing games.

BigLee74

Honestly - the constant w@nking over that gif by DC fans, and the drive-by snipes on Forza! The gif is an awful comparison gif, and not a true representation of like V like at all. Its as simple as that.

Driveclub has a closer and lower view, showing more car on screen. It also happens to take place at a time where the reflection of the sunlight/sky is more pronounced on the car. The closer camera position also works in its favour by omitting water spray from the view, ensuring you can see shadowing under the car and therefore 'grounding' it more in the picture.

Do you seriously think Forza cars are sub-standard models that don't reflect light, remain a static colour forever, and have no shadows under that water spray?

No one doubts Driveclub's graphics are amazing, but for that gif to be quoted repeatedly as the yardstick for measurement is just stupid.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yeah the Forza 6 rain chase cam looks like ass. Here's the thing though. Who the hell plays a racing game in chase cam? What is this? Outrun?

M0dus already mentioned that the comparison there is misrepresentative and cherry-picked, and people kept using it. I mean it took a mod to come in and say it.
Maybe someone can make one of those fancy gifs where the camera pans around and swings in a dramatic manner for FM6, because I suck at those and have no capture card.

Can we talk about replays? Both use 30fps replays so are there extra graphics tweaks applied to FM6?

I don't have Forza but here are a couple of DC replays using the standard trackside cams.

https://youtu.be/jnijQVSraIk

https://youtu.be/8wtdUgGEPrA

Recorded using share mode so 720p.

Forza replay only improves the car model slightly and adds some post-processing effects, and a higher quality AA, not to mention that the game was developed with 60fps in mind, so obviously it won't have assets that could have been used with the extra 16.6ms. Synth already said this some pages back, see if you can find his explanation.

M0dus already mentioned that the comparison there is misrepresentative and cherry-picked, and people kept using it. I mean it took a mod to come in and say it.
Maybe someone can make one of those fancy gifs where the camera pans around and swings in a dramatic manner for FM6, because I suck at those and have no capture card.

Forza replay only improves the car model slightly and adds some post-processing effects, and a higher quality AA.

To be fair, nearly all footage put up from any game is cherry picked, and it's frankly impossible to get identical footage from two games. The fact that photo mode pictures even come up at all is bizarre to me (unless games are comparing photo mode that is).

Racing games in general tend to look quite shitty in perfect lighting conditions, so it's why we like sunsets, dawn, night, weather, cloudy, overcast blah blah blah. I think the dynamic elements really play in DC, and Pcars favor.

Do we know what the replays add for DC in terms of added effects and IQ?

etta

my hard graphic balls
To be fair, nearly all footage put up from any game is cherry picked, and it's frankly impossible to get identical footage from two games. The fact that photo mode pictures even come up at all is bizarre to me (unless games are comparing photo mode that is).

Racing games in general tend to look quite shitty in perfect lighting conditions, so it's why we like sunsets, dawn, night, weather, cloudy, overcast blah blah blah. I think the dynamic elements really play in DC, and Pcars favor.

Do we know what the replays add for DC in terms of added effects and IQ?

The only way is if there are two actors, one for each game, who act in their best interests. So have someone who's best interest is to make a gif of DC in its best possible light, and have another actor who's best interest is to make a gif of FM6 in the best possible light.

As for the replay point, it doesn't matter what each version adds. The only thing that matters is that each game was built with different resources in mind. DC with 33.3ms of available resources, and FM6 with 16.6ms. So Turn 10 couldn't have crammed in an extra 16.6ms of resources just for photomode even if they wanted to.

Top Bottom