• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Niks

Fl2Isl.jpg

OgSEPa.jpg

jCZTSR.jpg

gr7VS4.jpg

J491iR.jpg

9Ms001.jpg

Yeah I know the compression on the DC ones is shit, but I couldn't find better ones from that angle.

Nice comparison. This thread is sorely needing these.
Thanks.

Tripolygon

Banned
If you guys really want to do that then I have a proposition for you. We make a new thread, one that has current-gen in the title, and one that symbolizes just that, a celebration of the amazing shit these games have achieved. A thread that doesn't have people dogpiling each other over puddles and rain looking like vaseline. A thread that doesn't have people jumping at each other's throats over saying they prefer how one game looks over the other, regardless that the game they are talking about isn't as technically impressive or doesn't do 60fps or that it doesn't look good in certain conditions but does in others. A thread that recognizes what each game is targeting and how resources are used.
That thread already exists, its the console screenshots thread. This thread is specifically to channel all bickering away from game OTs and other game related thread. Lets face it, there is always going to be bickering, it happens in every Digital Foundry Faceoffs and less so in game OTs.

Mullah88

I would square DC up against FH2, rather than FM6. However, even then I would not take face to face graphics at that value. I'd rather ask myself, what would DC look like if it were open world and what would FH2 look like if it weren't open world. The best comparison will be GT7 against whatever Forza sim is out currently. Even then, GT7 will have the advantage of a huge development cycle compared to Forza's poor one year cycle.

eh what? make FH2 closed circuit aka corridor racer and implement all the dynamic weather stuff that driveclub simulates

wel turn 10 should do a better job because they have already learned the system as opposed to PD that will only have GT7 as there first ps4 title regadless of dev time. turn 10 would have had F5, horizon 2 and forza 6 to learn the ins and outs of the xbox one.

devs can do wonders inbetween game development cycle (NDs drakes fortune to U2)

and then you have people waiting for need for speed in hopes it will dethrone DC as the next graphic powerhouse, does that game have interior view? or is it all chase cam? i wish rockstar will bring back the midnight club series on current gen platforms

nib95

Banned
Fl2Isl.jpg

OgSEPa.jpg

jCZTSR.jpg

gr7VS4.jpg

J491iR.jpg

9Ms001.jpg

Yeah I know the compression on the DC ones is shit, but I couldn't find better ones from that angle.

Awesome comparison dude. And yea, I think Driveclub might have GT6's models and shaders beat. At least in this comparison anyway. The headlamps in particular stand out.

RedRum

Banned
eh what? make FH2 closed circuit aka corridor racer and implement all the dynamic weather stuff that driveclub simulates

wel turn 10 should do a better job because they have already learned the system as opposed to PD that will only have GT7 as there first ps4 title regadless of dev time. turn 10 would have had F5, horizon 2 and forza 6 to learn the ins and outs of the xbox one.

devs can do wonders inbetween game development cycle (NDs drakes fortune to U2)

Better job of what actually?

Niks

And yea, I think Driveclub might have GT6's models and shaders beat. At least in this comparison anyway. The headlamps in particular stand out.

Yeah, the headlights and shadowy parts of the car (front grills) definitely stand out.
Still, the models themselves are pretty even.

Yiazmat

Nice comparison. This thread is sorely needing these.
Thanks.
Awesome comparison dude. And yea, I think Driveclub might have GT6's models and shaders beat. At least in this comparison anyway. The headlamps in particular stand out.
now thats how you do a comparison, same angle, same colors, same cars, same time of day

Thanks, I don't have DC so I got the (heavily compressed) pictures from this site that seems to have all the cars from the same angle and in the same lighting (which makes things a lot easier)

I'm trying to do more and maybe I'll add Project Cars in there as well. But I think there are only 4 cars that exist across all the three games.

Thanks, I don't have DC so I got the (heavily compressed) pictures from this site that seems to have all the cars from the same angle and in the same lighting (which makes things a lot easier)

I'm trying to do more and maybe I'll add Project Cars in there as well. But I think there are only 4 cars that exist across all the three games.

The guy who owns those pictures is a YTber. I immediately recognized those DC pics because he always uses them as his thumnail. Great comparison!

Omaer

Banned
IS DC worth getting?

I have Asseto Corsa, Project Cars, GT5,that I play.

That or getting into iracing/DMT.

Please PM me if you can. Thanks.

nib95

Banned
My favorite DC gameplay pics since the png update: http://imgur.com/a/r9hq0#0

Never linked an imgur album, so hopefully this works.

Some old jpgs:
http://imgur.com/a/5QdZ8

Some great shots among them. Textures look so much crisper and more detailed in PNG.

J2VSKcl.png

sYA5zGt.png

IS DC worth getting?

I have Asseto Corsa, Project Cars, GT5,that I play.

That or getting into iracing/DMT.

Please PM me if you can. Thanks.

As long as you're not expecting a sim racer. It's simcade, so closer to GRID, PGR etc.

But to answer your question, just read through the answers in this thread.

Driveclub - Is it really good now?

As a side note, the Full game + Season Pass bundle is only $20 in the US on PSN, and £16 in the UK, which is outrageously good value. I have 300+ hours in to it, and I'm still not close to being done. Played it almost every day since launch, with only a few block breaks in-between. There's just a tonne of content, more so if you're active in the community challenges, and like to compete with friends on leader boards.

DD

So how about we post our best/favorite shots from these games instead of the constant bickering and back & forth? Please? This thread should be a celebration of the amazing shit these games have achieved.
Cool, I like your way of thinking, and I always wanted an excuse to repost some of my personal favorites (all from photomode). :)

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
All this talk of the Forza gif not matching the real game, yet no one is posting a .webm as a counter argument.

Ploid 3.0

I added Forza 6 for the M4. It's really hard to get the angle just right. I don't think I got it.

You did good. Looks very clean and lined up perfectly. Edit: Seems like the sun is going down from top to bottom heh. First one is noonish.

while looking up an old DC gif, I came across this screenshot someone took...

not sure if there were any enhancements.

from here
http://punkandlizard.com/the-beauty-of-driveclub/

when all the special effects come together.....just wow.
[IMG zard.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/driveclub-2.jpg[/IMG]

Mothernature is a graphics/effects nut.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Yea false, everyone knows Horizon 2 has better IQ than DC. One of the cleanest AA in any game released this gen so far.

Since when does IQ == amount of AA? Is some Gaf invention? Image quality means different things to different groups. I hate ambiguous acronyms.

Conduit

Banned
Also, now it matters how the game looks on the TV? Before with the FM6 gif, where so many of us said that the game looks better than those tiny gifs while on the TV, it didn't matter? But now it does when DC is in question?

Smh.

Omogmomgomg this is glorious. We said the exact same of FM6!!!

You have some sort of satisfaction? Gifs are motional, in-game screenshots aren't. Right? Also, you ignore what i said to you a few pages back. If you think ( of course you do ) that F6 is misrepresented in that gif, SAME APPLIES to DC. Both are equally compressed in that gif. Good? Good. And guess, what, difference between them is the same in that youtube video. Btw. you can also find some "juicy" DF's F6 shots too.

TBiddy

I'm actually expecting something special from Polyphony.

They've got the talent and resources. And the time.

Indeed. If any game was to force me to get a PS4 next to my XB1, it would be GT7. But for now, I'm enjoying my time with Forza, even though I'm (apparantly) subjected to jaggies, poor trees, hovercars and bad lighting.

c0de

And this is precisely true.

> Unflattering .gif of Forza 6 is posted
> "Wow this game looks awful, fuck how it looks on the screen, that .gif is what matters"

> Unflattering screenshot of DC is posted
> "But you need to see how it looks on the screen"

Yes, we get it. We agree that Driveclub is better looking. Not EVERY post praising Forza needs to be combatted with it, we're just appreciating what DOES look good in Forza. Driveclub isn't some untouchable deity, it still has its own flaws, and what the fuck is the point of a technical thread if we can't point out flaws?

The problem is that people distant to tech entered this thread, bringing fanboy arguments and behaviour into it and tried to negate a good discussion the thread once was made for.

Just remember that DC uses physically based rendering with correct material types while GT6 doesn't. Shows how good PD artists are.

Mabufu

Banned
Since when does IQ == amount of AA? Is some Gaf invention? Image quality means different things to different groups. I hate ambiguous acronyms.

IQ = AA and AF. It's not ambiguous.

Just so you know, FH2 uses 4x MSAA, fancier and slower than FXAA that most games uses.

TBiddy

Is he floating on the ground? Looks like he has no weight. Can we get a full direct feed video of that? It's clear that the sprites are of high quality, but the lightning is dull. Obviously baked lightning. Need a side-to-side comparison with FM. Preferrably in a 10 FPS GIF if you can.

danowat

Banned
I've been thinking about the "cookie cutter" affect that seems to manifest itself in FM6 when viewed from the 3rd person cam.

Although the video below is sound comparison (a whole other hornets nest), I think the "cookie cutter" or superimposed affect on FM6 is quite apparent, it appears, at least to me, that this is caused by the lighting engine giving a different amount of luminosity to the car, than it does to the rest of the scene which makes the car pop out of the scene.

Whether this is by design or not (I always maintain that FM has gone for a more stylized look to it's IQ, rather than a wholly realistic look), I'm not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EJiHEsh7PM

leeh

Etta's post was sarcasm, right? A track skinned with static, unchanging puddles is not really gamebreaking innovation. It's a neat alternative making it so that you need to re-adjust your driving line and cornering approach. It's a really neat feature but rather inconsequential in the long run if they are 100% the same every time.
Please, list out the other games which have this feature.

When you've got 24 cars on the track, it's still an absolute night mare with those puddles. Talk about downplaying. Considering the only other console sim, which is rubbish compared to FM6, just has your standard -20% grip and can't barely keep 60.

I'll iterate, new never-seen before feature = innovation.

Top Bottom