• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

HTupolev

I think anyone (or majority) who own DriveClub...who have a decent TV...will say the game looks nothing like the image on the left when they play.
As someone who has DriveClub and a TV that's at least reasonably alright (W600B) and tuned to give a fairly neutral image, yes, DC does occasionally look as though it's covered in dry paste with noisy artifacts.

The defense force for DC's stark daytime visuals is a little bit hard to take seriously. It doesn't look flat because real life looks flat; it looks flat because it can't handle high-frequency occlusion across its large-scale scenes, and because it (somewhat generally) doesn't express high-frequency high-contrast detail well. These things get emphasized by clean direct lighting with healthy contrasts. For instance, I mostly don't notice the extreme Canada tree LOD, but it's blatantly obvious in direct sunlight; this image was still, but even in motion it's not exactly hard to see:

B5C4WoKIMAA6Kzv.jpg:orig

shandy706

I see the majority get my attempt to discuss things like AA, other assets, and IQ.

Throws hands up.

Maybe we need an instructional on what makes up the many different visual aspects of games. I feel discussion outside of the general overall look of games is a lost cause with some here.

I've seen this GIF being thrown around and after playing both DC and F6, I think F6 is getting the short end of the stick here. Especially from people who have only played DC and analyze these games through GIFS/Videos like these. I also agree that Gamersyde direct gameplay vids, if you had to choose a player to watch, would be the best. It's really difficult to judge Forza on a small GIF. Playing it on your TV gives an entirely different perspective and experience.

That gif is from a 60fps video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=borC9k3dMbc

nib95

Banned
A 60fps DC would be nice, but I don't see it those graphics. Matter of fact 2 years into this generation it would be nice to see what a PS4 racing game locked at 1080p 60fps would look like period. PC defiantly didn't do it...

They've since patched PCars numerous times. It runs at near enough a locked 60fps on the PS4 now. It still has some minor tearing, but I think since the last patch they may have reduced that too. And this is with 30 racers on the grid.

Project Cars PS4 frame rate test - Rain - Brands Hatch - 30 cars

And this is precisely true.

> Unflattering .gif of Forza 6 is posted
> "Wow this game looks awful, fuck how it looks on the screen, that .gif is what matters"

> Unflattering screenshot of DC is posted
> "But you need to see how it looks on the screen"

Not entirely true. The GIF is a comparison of both games running in motion, with the same vehicle and conditions, taken from an actual comparison video. More than one such GIF has been posted from different comparisons. In contrast, what Shandy has posted above in his comparison are small, intentionally cropped segments, taken from a specific part of a larger screenshot, whilst the car is stationary. He could have just posted the full screens like I did on the previous page, and that would have been somewhat more scientific lol.

I think the reason he didn't is because he claimed Forza Horizon 2 had better textures, which comparing the two full screens disapproved, so instead he's cropped out only the segment where the anisotropic filtering taps out, so that texture quality between the two games (including other graphical elements) can no longer be accurately assessed. At least I think that could be it, not really sure why he felt the need to crop the images, but DC still actually looks good in the cropped out segment.

ShapeGSX

Can you elaborate on the engine features which (that thereby necessitate 30fps) induce this "sense of speed"?`

I can literally only think of motion blur... and that is it. Something that does not require a game to be @ 30fps for...

Narrow tracks with lots of stuff like flags right at the edge of the track. The closer stuff is to you, the greater the sense of speed.

When I drag race my Eclipse GSX at the drag strip, 120mph feels slow.

But when I leave the drag strip and floor the gas on a narrow road with the boost still turned up to 26psi, 65mph feels so much faster with the trees whipping past me.

Real tracks make sure that trees and poles are far away from you so you don't die.

etta

my hard graphic balls
That doesn't mean they didn't put any effort in the gameplay which your other comment made it seem like.
How?
First comment:
Probably because they put graphics anead of the other elements. It was a design decision.

Second comment:
Well, they did put graphics ahead of gameplay, otherwise they would have gone for 60fps because that affects gameplay.
They are both identical?

I've seen this GIF being thrown around and after playing both DC and F6, I think F6 is getting the short end of the stick here. Especially from people who have only played DC and analyze these games through GIFS/Videos like these. I also agree that Gamersyde direct gameplay vids, if you had to choose a player to watch, would be the best. It's really difficult to judge Forza on a small GIF, at 30 FPS, and compressed. Playing it on your TV gives an entirely different perspective and experience.
The last page has been a glorious representation of that.

Not entirely true. The GIF is a comparison of both games running in motion, with the same vehicle and conditions, taken from an actual comparison video. More than one such GIF has been posted from different comparisons. In contrast, what Shandy has posted above in his comparison are small, intentionally cropped segments, taken from a specific part of a larger screenshot, whilst the car is stationary. He could have just posted the full screens like I did on the previous page, and that would have been somewhat more scientific lol.

I think the reason he didn't is because he claimed Forza Horizon 2 had better textures, which comparing the two full screens disapproved, so instead he's cropped out only the segment where the anisotropic filtering taps out, so that texture quality between the two games (including other graphical elements) can no longer be accurately assessed. At least I think that could be it, not really sure why he felt the need to crop the images, but DC still actually looks good in the cropped out segment.

Pretty much this. Shandy's walls of screenshots are hilarious though. Didn't he do "photomode gameplay angles" a few pages back? Talk about jumping through hoops to prove nothing!

While we're on the GT7 topic, I'm gonna say this here because there's no other relevant thread active, but if GT7 doesn't have 3D puddles, it won't be the better game of the two (FM7). It can have better graphics, car models, dynamic everything, but the 3D puddles are such a game-changer, that it won't matter if it doesn't have them.

I bet it that was the real objective of it. Because words couldn't do it before.

Where did I say that? Did I say their graphics focus was way ahead of gameplay? You see, you guys are reading things you want to read.

Wake me up when the Forza puddles are dynamic, aka not a gimmick.

Pretty much this. Shandy's walls of screenshots are hilarious though. Didn't he do "photomode gameplay angles" a few pages back? Talk about jumping through hoops to prove nothing!

I don't think it's too smart to be shitposting so soon after being unbanned.

Stillmatic

There seems to be a lot of focus on a specific time of day and a specific weather condition. It's because it's DC at its worse (which still looks better than every other racer when you compare good screens with good, and bad screens with bad).

DC simulates 24 hours in a day.
DC simulates, Clear sky, Overcast, Light Rain, Heavy Rain, Snow and combination of all and everything in between (except hail and fog, though low hanging clouds reach the road).

Select 'random event' and you will very rarely get a clear bright midday race.
Select 'dynamic weather' and 'random time of day' and the same happens.

Focusing on that specific condition is the definition of cherry picking.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Why would they be dynamic? Are the tracks' inclination features dynamic too?
60fps for a racing game especially, affects gameplay far more than camera effects. You're stuck on something that I never said. I never said that for DC, graphics came in at number 1, and gameplay was all the way down at the bottom of a list at number 9 or whatever. Whether gameplay is at number 9 on this hypothetical objectives list or at number 2, graphics is still ahead of both at number 1.

DF agrees with me, but thanks for your concern! (My ban had nothing to do with this btw)

I never said your ban was related.

And please tell me where DF agrees?

Indeed, the appearance of pouring rain and pools of water scattered across the ground has a tangible impact on handling [...] As usual, the level of simulation here is superb - as far as it goes

While the effects on the handling model work really well

Their only "negatives" about it:
the visual presentation can feel somewhat sterile [...] The puddles don't react to the wheels as they drive through the surface, while splashes of water are thrown up in the form of flat alpha sprites. This is the compromise we need to accept in order to enjoy that completely consistent, locked 60fps.

They gave the system huge praise, then basically said "it's not as great looking as we want it to be, but we understand why it's being traded off".

Not once is it referred to or even implied as a gimmick. They accept that it's a big feature, although undynamic, that makes a huge difference to the game.

Purest 78

Well, they did put graphics ahead of gameplay, otherwise they would have gone for 60fps because that affects gameplay.

So you think every game that's 30fps Devs Chose Graphics over gameplay? Nearly any game can be 60fps with graphics/effects dialed back.

VanWinkle

This whole thing is honestly kind of ridiculous. Everyone shows the game they favor in the best light and the game they favor less in a more-negative-than-usual light. Forza fans always show Driveclub in the daylight and standing still, showcasing its only flaws: AF, bland daylight lighting, and subpar IQ. DC fans are quick to show these little gifs that shows how realistic the game can be at 5 inches, and bring up obvious unflattering Forza screens and gifs. And people keep playing the victim card for their game of choice. Both "sides" are just as guilty.

I've been guilty of stuff like this too, but its just crazg rampant in here. I honestly wish straight comparisons weren't even allowed, because there's always some kind of bias in place. I wish it was a discussion thread and a show-off thread, instead of a comparison thread.

RedRum

Banned

I understand. My fault. My point still stands though about having a different visual experience playing games on your TV. Especially if you've played one game and not the other.

The last page has been a glorious representation of that.

Yeah. I think someone described it best earlier in the thread. You've got a 30 FPS racer on a system with better hardware and a 60 FPS racer on weaker hardware and trying to compare them graphically is a bit unfair.

Dynamic in drying up/not always have identical handling implications. They don't build up nor decrease. Pretty pointless if you ask me. This is a feature that needs a dynamic weather system.

And please tell me where DF agrees?

"'3D puddles', which we expected to build up over the course of a race."

"there's also the sense that Turn 10 could perhaps have compromised too heavily: the effects are static, not dynamic, meaning that the uncertainty of variable weather conditions in any given race and how that affects handling isn't replicated, while the transition of the time of day is also missed."

Game4life

Banned
This whole thing is honestly kind of ridiculous. Everyone shows the game they favor in the best light and the game they favor less in a more-negative-than-usual light. Forza fans always show Driveclub in the daylight and standing still, showcasing its only flaws: AF, bland daylight lighting, and subpar IQ. DC fans are quick to show these little gifs that shows how realistic the game can be at 5 inches, and bring up obvious unflattering Forza screens and gifs. And people keep playing the victim card for their game of choice. Both "sides" are just as guilty.

I've been guilty of stuff like this too, but its just crazg rampant in here. I honestly wish straight comparisons weren't even allowed, because there's always some kind of bias in place. I wish it was a discussion thread and a show-off thread, instead of a comparison thread.

Pretty much.

I understand. My fault. My point still stands though about having a different visual experience playing games on your TV. Especially if you've played one game and not the other.

Yeah. I think someone described it best earlier in the thread. You've got a 30 FPS racer on a system with better hardware and a 60 FPS racer on weaker hardware and trying to compare them graphically is a bit unfair.

Then it means both games, not just FM6, are getting the short end of the stick on that AMG GT gif.

It's a direct capture, posted by someone with Driveclub.

It's a comparison of IQ while sitting still.

WTF is your point?

I want to discuss IQ, materials, and textures. Is that ok in this graphics thread? I even pointed out I don't like comparing different environments. Only focus on AA, IQ, textures, AF in this case.

driveclub has temporal aa so taking pics while sitting still is pointless

"there's also the sense that Turn 10 could perhaps have compromised too heavily: the effects are static, not dynamic, meaning that the uncertainty of variable weather conditions in any given race and how that affects handling isn't replicated, while the transition of the time of day is also missed."

So "this isn't perfect" = "this is a gimmick"? Is everything so black and white to you?

60fps for a racing game especially, affects gameplay far more than camera effects. You're stuck on something that I never said. I never said that for DC, graphics came in at number 1, and gameplay was all the way down at the bottom of a list at number 9 or whatever. Whether gameplay is at number 9 on this hypothetical objectives list or at number 2, graphics is still ahead of both at number 1.

I never said sense of speed affects gameplay far more than 60fps. I was only pointing out that Evolution Studios did put some effort on the gameplay aspect even though Driveclub runs at 30fps.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Dynamic in drying up/not always have identical handling implications. They don't build up nor decrease. Pretty pointless if you ask me. This is a feature that needs a dynamic weather system.

How can it dry up or pool up if the weather is not dynamic? Maybe a little bit of it will dry, but not nearly the entire puddle.

I never said sense of speed affects gameplay far more than 60fps. I was only pointing out that Evolution Studios did put some effort on the gameplay aspect even though Driveclub runs at 30fps.
And I never said they didn't. Again, you got stuck on something I never said because what I said sounded controversial to you, and you wanted to quickly respond. I understand, I am used to it by now. :p
See above.
It may not be fully realized, but it's the only example I could use because no other game does it.
And I am hopeful FM7 will get dynamic weather and puddles anyway.

So "this isn't perfect" = "this is a gimmick"? Is everything so black and white to you?

Context. Read etta's original post. He literally says that no matter what GT does, Forza will be the better game due to the puddles. A feature not even fully realized (yet). That is hyperbole at its best.

I definitely want something similar in GT though!

How can it dry up or pool up if the weather is not dynamic? Maybe a little bit of it will dry, but not nearly the entire puddle.

See above.

Yeah. Its not dynamic but its also far from a gimmick. It absolutely changes the way you tackle these courses. The best way to look at it is how it really is: an alternate setting for a track, not a dynamic condition.

ShapeGSX

Yeah. Its not dynamic but its also far from a gimmick. It absolutely changes the way you tackle these courses. The best way to look at it is how it really is: an alternate setting for a track, not a dynamic condition.

It's especially challenging when you're in traffic and trying to pass someone through a puddle.

viHuGi

Banned
Good now people post DC photos and FM photos that make games look bad LOL i can go there and do that on any games seriously.

DC in motion is just insane

Does DC have AF or whatever the hell people keep crying about in the Digital Foundry threads? All the closeup road textures look like ass in most of the stills I've seen.

Shandy706, I think most of the DC defense force knows that it will not win an IQ battle, hence why the discussion won't swing in that direction no matter how hard you try. The focus will remain on gifs with rain and snow from chase cam point of view cause that's where the game really shines.

RedRum

Banned
Then it means both games, not just FM6, are getting the short end of the stick on that AMG GT gif.

You won't get any complaints out of me. I enjoy playing DC. I do believe if taken at face value it will defeat Forza 6 graphically every time, however I will not deny "why" it beats Forza graphically. I can expect this on a technical level. I wouldn't put them side by side and criticize Forza for having worse lighting than DC or DC having dynamic weather as well as a day/night cycle, because it is obvious why DC is able to achieve these things technically. I won't downplay DC being the graphical powerhouse that it is or won't fault Forza for being less so because I know they're pushing a higher framerate. A stable higher framerate. There are other dynamics too.

Developer direction, game aesthetic, etc. The two racers couldn't be far enough apart when it comes to that.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Context. Read etta's original post. He literally says that no matter what GT does, Forza will be the better game due to the puddles. A feature not even fully realized (yet). That is hyperbole at its best.

Etta's post was sarcasm, right? A track skinned with static, unchanging puddles is not really gamebreaking innovation. It's a neat alternative making it so that you need to re-adjust your driving line and cornering approach. It's a really neat feature but rather inconsequential in the long run if they are 100% the same every time.

Tripolygon

Banned
Does DC have AF or whatever the hell people keep crying about in the Digital Foundry threads? All the closeup road textures look like ass in most of the stills I've seen.

Shandy706, I think most of the DC defense force knows that it will not win an IQ battle, hence why the discussion won't swing in that direction no matter how hard you try. The focus will remain on gifs with rain and snow from chase cam point of view cause that's where the game really shines.
Yea false, everyone knows Horizon 2 has better IQ than DC. One of the cleanest AA in any game released this gen so far.

So how about we post our best/favorite shots from these games instead of the constant bickering and back & forth? Please? This thread should be a celebration of the amazing shit these games have achieved.

Here's some of my Driveclub shots. The next time I go over to my friend's place, I'm gonna get the Horizon 2 and Forza 6 shots I took.

Photomode:
driveclub_201504141441isco.jpg

driveclub_20150414062nzswx.jpg

driveclub_201508080733ws5u.jpg

Gameplay:
driveclub_201505230300kx61.jpg

driveclub_201505231143azid.jpg

driveclub_201505231145hzwc.jpg

Just for fun, my own gameplay Shitshots™:
driveclub_201505230258fzfx.jpg

driveclub_20150523115vwbbl.jpg

VanWinkle

Just like the "Forza defense force" will continue to harp on DC's only flaws and present the Forza games in the best light. Both sides do this and it's extremely annoying.

Anyway, DC has I think 2x or 4x AF. I forget. Not a lot. Same with FH2. Not sure what AF levels the Forza sims have.

That sort of implementation would require an entirely different approach to the way the engine is built. Forza Motorsport has always been static and focused on creating a Forza brand visual, yes it was starting to look outdated with FM4 but that is the approach they took and I don't think you can knock something that is well implemented and adds something to the gameplay which is very good, it would be nicer if it was dynamic but not what the devs are targeting. Be objective and observe the game for what it is rather than what it isn't, not being dynamic isn't a negative in the same way not being open world isn't a negative it is just a different approach with its pros and cons.

Yea false, everyone knows Horizon 2 has better IQ than DC. One of the cleanest AA in any game released this gen so far.
True that. Horizon has always had stellar IQ. DC isn't far behind and AA has improved since launch (or at least it seems like it has). The only one I really notice jaggies in is Forza 6, but it really depends upon the track and conditions in terms of how much I notice it.

And is it just me, or is something up with the images and gifs being broken? I'm not seeing most of the images.

people that think driveclub looks great have posted plenty of media showcasing daytime imagery. we just dont go out of our way to produce the worst possible media. you guys are doing the exact same thing that people are doing with forza.

VanWinkle

So how about we post our best/favorite shots from these games instead of the constant bickering and back & forth? Please? This thread should be a celebration of the amazing shit these games have achieved.

Here's some of my Driveclub shots. The next time I go over to my friend's place, I'm gonna get the Horizon 2 and Forza 6 shots I took.

Very nice. I'll going to wait until the 3.0 update to post DC gameplay shots, but here are a few FH2 of mine:

in_Jbg_Eo_M9_N6_Fj.png

iblq_Ab_R9c_Pt3_Lt.png

ibm1b_Taa_U8_Xbj8.png

so is this really the case... I'm confused.

yes. its nowhere near as good as the temporal aa in ryse/ue4, but it does help in smoothing out the roughness a decent amount.

http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_34078_1_en.html
http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_33909_1_en.html
http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_33210_1_en.html

driveclub daytime gameplay vids. also made sure to include 1 from chile, as that seems to be the latest track to try and prove driveclub looks bad when its not raining. those vids also demonstrate the TAA, you can see it kick in as soon as the car starts moving.

Tripolygon

Banned
And this is precisely true.

> Unflattering .gif of Forza 6 is posted
> "Wow this game looks awful, fuck how it looks on the screen, that .gif is what matters"

> Unflattering screenshot of DC is posted
> "But you need to see how it looks on the screen"

Yes, we get it. We agree that Driveclub is better looking. Not EVERY post praising Forza needs to be combatted with it, we're just appreciating what DOES look good in Forza. Driveclub isn't some untouchable deity, it still has its own flaws, and what the fuck is the point of a technical thread if we can't point out flaws?
Precisely not true.

This Gif is from this video comparing graphics of both games. They are both affected by the compression of the gif. People complain it is not 60fps and a 60fps video is posted which still does not change the fact that DC still looks better and here is more 60fps video that still shows the difference in graphics.
XUvfl12.gif

He makes a claim
It's moments like these shots that would make one think DC is a rough looking game.

For example a mid-day gameplay shot of the highway looking into the distance in an open world racer like Horizon 2 looks far better than any of those shots. From AA to textures...those are just rough as can be.
Then nib proceeds to post screenshots that disproves his claim
Then he decides to crop the screenshots
001p2sgr.png

Horizon 2 has better AA than DC and that is undisputable, but textures, NO.

That sort of implementation would require an entirely different approach to the way the engine is built. Forza Motorsport has always been static and focused on creating a Forza brand visual, yes it was starting to look outdated with FM4 but that is the approach they took and I don't think you can knock something that is well implemented and adds something to the gameplay which is very good, it would be nicer if it was dynamic but not what the devs are targeting. Be objective and observe the game for what it is rather than what it isn't, not being dynamic isn't a negative in the same way not being open world isn't a negative it is just a different approach with its pros and cons.

I agree with everything but the bolded. Having dynamic weather with changing conditions is absolutely preferrable to a static version to me. It's not just a different approach, it's an inferior implementation of technology.

edit: Very nice FH2 shots, VanWinkle.

What is up with the line in the middle of the image? And yes, Driveclub of course can look like a last gen game. There is nothing in this image that screams next-gen.

That's from a notification that is just disappearing. It happens all the time in driveclub. It was just a badly timed photo.

I agree with everything but the bolded. Having dynamic weather with changing conditions is absolutely preferrable to a static version to me. It's not just a different approach, it's an inferior implementation of technology.

edit: Very nice FH2 shots, VanWinkle.

I prefer dynamic environments but not a big fan of open world but looking at the game objectively what FM6 is doing is very good. I always use the resident evil remake example of where static environments come into their own, the focus on that was to create a specific atmosphere, some people prefer this as it is tightly directed and this is essentially what Forza Motorsport is also doing. Some people dislike dynamic environments because they bring elements into a game that they do not like. You have probably seen how many people complained that they can't see the road at certain times of day or weather conditions in Driveclub, for me that is brilliant it is something that forces me to adapt and find exciting for others this is just a hindrance and ruins their enjoyment.

VanWinkle

Here are a some of my DC gameplay shots. Keep in mind that they're JPEGs AND uploaded to Facebook. But...yeah. I'll take more when the 3.0 update comes.

10006089_10154778069010626_912117214259667751_o.jpg

11312899_10155585263845626_7470345035999223524_o.jpg

10458951_10155573619685626_3751416306398710655_o.jpg

11174376_10155510247580626_5464901175687141442_o.jpg

10896428_10155105682295626_3229578267959896990_o.jpg

Tripolygon

Banned
True that. Horizon has always had stellar IQ. DC isn't far behind and AA has improved since launch (or at least it seems like it has). The only one I really notice jaggies in is Forza 6, but it really depends upon the track and conditions in terms of how much I notice it.

And is it just me, or is something up with the images and gifs being broken? I'm not seeing most of the images.
Not just you, imgur has been having issues today and my Malwarebyte keeps blocking connection to some ip from imgur server.

RedRum

Banned
I would square DC up against FH2, rather than FM6. However, even then I would not take face to face graphics at that value. I'd rather ask myself, what would DC look like if it were open world and what would FH2 look like if it weren't open world. The best comparison will be GT7 against whatever Forza sim is out currently. Even then, GT7 will have the advantage of a huge development cycle compared to Forza's poor one year cycle.

Noobcraft

I would square DC up against FH2, rather than FM6. However, even then I would not take face to face graphics at that value. I'd rather ask myself, what would DC look like if it were open world and what would FH2 look like if it weren't open world. The best comparison will be GT7 against whatever Forza sim is out currently. Even then, GT7 will have the advantage of a huge development cycle compared to Forza's poor one year cycle.
Each Forza game is on a 2 year cycle. 2 devs working on 2 different games but sharing assets.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Very nice. I'll going to wait until the 3.0 update to post DC gameplay shots, but here are a few FH2 of mine:

If you guys really want to do that then I have a proposition for you. We make a new thread, one that has current-gen in the title, and one that symbolizes just that, a celebration of the amazing shit these games have achieved. A thread that doesn't have people dogpiling each other over puddles and rain looking like vaseline. A thread that doesn't have people jumping at each other's throats over saying they prefer how one game looks over the other, regardless that the game they are talking about isn't as technically impressive or doesn't do 60fps or that it doesn't look good in certain conditions but does in others. A thread that recognizes what each game is targeting and how resources are used. A thread where there's no misrepresentation in comparisons. A thread where no one will attack you for your opinion provided that you give evidence that is sound, even if it is not agreeable with. A thread that will emphasize and outline the above rules, and adhere by them.

If you guys want to do that and rid of this bullshittery and constant bickering, then I vote for DD to be the OP, as he's one of the few people that I can think of that are unaffected by preference.

While you think on that, here's some pics I just took:

pKMdQ5q.png

xqwplTa.png

I got 2 nice gifs converting, too.

Top Bottom