• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

I don't know why my opinion is bothering some of you guys so much.

The screens I posted are legitimate. I don't care for the clay-like look that Driveclubs environments have. Don't care for the instanced trees that are 2d and follow you as the camera moves.

FH3 looks better and way more impressive to me.
But didn't you read that opinions can be wrong?! OMG how could you??

/s

AndyD

aka andydumi
If you've played even the first tour or so of Driveclub, you see those really bad instances in the pre-race flyovers and even just driving on the track in a lot of areas. It's always there. I know how people can be overly negative/picky about some stuff, but I've gotta say, this isn't a hidden-behind-the-barn sort of thing.

Driveclub can look legitimately stunning, but it has some rough spots even after the post-launch improvements.

I think this is a fair assessment. All of them can look stunning or poor, and you have to take it all in a whole. That said FH3 needs to look good everywhere since you can go everywhere, while DC and Forza don't as you are confined to track. Pointing out that off-track areas look bad in fly-overs is the definition of "behind-the-barn" things.

Sure it's garbage. Do you have some FH3 shots too? Of course not.

Eh, if I did I'd just be accused of cherry picking anyway right??

But I do have ugly Driveclub shots to backup my claim

2847538-0790621010-26878.jpg

rashbeep

Banned
I think this is a fair assessment. All of them can look stunning or poor, and you have to take it all in a whole. That said FH3 needs to look good everywhere since you can go everywhere, while DC and Forza don't as you are confined to track. Pointing out that off-track areas look bad in fly-overs is the definition of "behind-the-barn" things.

That first screen is pretty similar to what I saw when I'd stop my car and look around. I haven't played the game in a while, but it could look really rough sometimes.

shandy706

I made a lot of gifs this past week. ...and videos....and screenshots. LOL

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I also made this, but that's not a racing game...unless you count racing to a puck on skates..haha

giphy.gif

Pif

Banned
They will. You can cherry pick some shitty looking Uncharted 4 shots despite it being one of the best looking games of all time.

Also, here's a blast from the past comparison

lJc_dt.gif

We all know that Forza 6 doesn't actually look that bad 99% of the time.

And people expect an open world version of this engine to deliver results above driveclub.

On a 1.3Tflop system...

Ok.

jaypah

Checking out some media FH2 looks a lot better than I gave it credit for (never played it). Also these gifs remind me that I should put down the Vive and play a little Driveclub. What a beautiful, but more importantly, fun game.

Backup your claim that Driveclubs looks garbage compared to FH3. Right!

Yes. Absolutely. Driving through the forest in FH3 from what I've seen looks way more impressive than anything I've seen in Driveclub.. gifs or still screens. :shrug:

You'll get your pictures when I can take them for you.. don't worry.

Gestault

You can figure it out.

Wait, now I'm honestly confused. We have HQ video of the whole first segment of that demo on both PC and standard XB1 for comparison, and the stage demo during the conference showed the two versions side-by-side.

What are you saying?

VanWinkle

Driveclub has low points. The AA solution leaves a lot to be desired, some rough texture-work, foliage can look weird outside of gameplay because it's mostly 2D, AF is low, and middle of the day is not NICE looking (by virtue of having a realistic lighting system).

Its high points overshadow other racing games. Lighting, foliage in gameplay, rain on the car, rain shaders, volumetric clouds, sense of speed (for a 30fps game), etc.

What kind of frustrates me I guess about this thread, is people are SO hesistant to be at all critical of the game THEY prefer. You never hear the Forza people being critical of anything of Forza, you never hear the Driveclub people being critical of anything in Driveclub. Yet they have no problem being critical of the other games. Games are never perfect, and in a discussion of graphics, you have to try to be somewhat objective. Driveclub can look AMAZING, better than anything else at many times, but it's got problems, too!

MilkyJoe

Last one almost is. 1 or 2 hours forward. Unless you think that must be precise 12 hours.

Well the thing is it's direct overhead sunlight, no weather or clouds, where it doesn't look great. It's lighting and weather effects that look great in that game.

Conduit

Banned
Driveclub has low points. The AA solution leaves a lot to be desired,

Right. DC doesn't have best AA solution.

some rough texture-work

Yep!

foliage can look weird outside of gameplay because it's mostly 2D

Yep

AF is low

Yep

and middle of the day is not NICE looking

Em....nope.

Well the thing is it's direct overhead sunlight, no weather or clouds, where it doesn't look great.

3rd gif is in direct sunlight with clouds. There would be a difference at direct sunlight without clouds? No!

Conduit

Banned
Damage controlling early I see. Neat.

I still don't see what's embarrassing or wrong about my post... all I see is that you're mad about it for some reason. Truth hurts I'm assuming.

What truth? You tried to prove that DC looks like garbage compared to FH3 without posting FH3 static gameplay images.

Freeman

Banned
Damage controlling early I see. Neat.

I still don't see what's embarrassing or wrong about my post... all I see is that you're mad about it for some reason. Truth hurts I'm assuming.

lol I didn't even see FH3, all I know is that saying that Driveclub looks like garbage tells everething I need to know about you.

I was under the impression all MS games were presented on PC, if that isn't the case my mistake.

I have no interest in playing any other game aside from GT at this point, I'm as far from mad about this as anyone could be.

What truth? You tried to prove that DC looks like garbage compared to FH3 without posting FH3 static gameplay images.

No. I said FH3 looks better to me... then when people called me out on my opinion I attempted to show them what DC really looks like.. since they post the same old gifs every single time someone dares to have a different opinion of the almighty Driveclub.

I'm able to say that FH3 looks better than Driveclub. You're able to disagree. I don't really care. I'll post FH3 screens when I can... stay tuned.

VanWinkle

No. I said FH3 looks better to me... then when people called me out on my opinion I attempted to show them what DC really looks like.. since they post the same old gifs every single time someone dares to have a different opinion of the almighty Driveclub.

I'm able to say that FH3 looks better than Driveclub. You're able to disagree. I don't really care. I'll post FH3 screens when I can... stay tuned.

You came through with your own agenda. Let's be honest. There are PLENTY of gameplay screenshots that look great and you posted, honestly, some of the worse gameplay screenshots I've seen. It's okay to think FH3 looks better, but don't attempt to prove it with petty methods.

You came through with your own agenda. Let's be honest. There are PLENTY of gameplay screenshots that look great and you posted, honestly, some of the worse gameplay screenshots I've seen. It's okay to think FH3 looks better, but don't attempt to prove it with petty methods.

Well, I shouldn't have to prove anything. Of course when people challenge my opinion with shiny 700x300 gifs, I rebut in my own way.

So what's the point of this thread? The all racing games can look amazing and terrible at the same time.. let's all sing Kumbaya?

lol

Gestault

anyway shaders reflections on the cars body will not be as good on FH3,

or many other effects such as heat mirages

Just on account of the more limited scope, you're probably right (maybe a little early, mind you), but those seem like SSR effects. The effect is good, but it's not high-tech in a way that other engines can't handle, it's more that it only works at some angles.

shandy706

anyway shaders reflections on the cars body will not be as good on FH3,

1466177972-driveclub-tm-20160617162549.png

or many other effects such as heat mirages

The Forza games already have heat haze. I think even Forza 5 from 2013 has it...or am I thinking of something else (Horizon 2 maybe). It wouldn't surprise me if it's in Horizon 3.

I see the mirrors in DC also reflect right through the cars.

Noobcraft

FH3 may not have volumetric clouds but they still look among the best I've ever seen in a game.
giphy.gif

M1lkil2.gif

Also, this thread has definitely taken a turn...
giphy.gif

desu

So what's the point of this thread? The all racing games can look amazing and terrible at the same time.. let's all sing Kumbaya?

The point of this thread is to condense all the "bullshit" graphics discussions into this thread, instead of having them in each and every other thread about a racing game.

Top Bottom