• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Noobcraft

Is that third pic forza? Jesus, I am so happy MS decided to make cross plat play.

I want this for PC, but hate I have to wait until September for a racer :(
Yeah it's FH3 at 4k on a PC. That's a special rig they have at E3 (and that camera angle hasn't yet been implemented into the full game but community feedback may change that).

golem

While Driveclub is a pretty great looking game, apparently some people in this thread seem to believe it can never be improved upon. Lets remember what Driveclub really looks like when not squeezed down to a tiny gif in replay mode :p

27662271001_6f30d6146f_o.png

27124457024_d1cc52228a_o.png

27124448754_bcd20e562d_o.png

27458909430_f7551b4e64_o.png

I remember I bought Driveclub because of all the amazing photographs and GIFs around the web from users. Then I remember when I actually started playing it, on my tv, in a race and not in photo mode, I realized how ugly the game could be at times. Looks muddy, basic, and unimpressive at times, and only in sunset or weather did it impress me. The car models while good, were jaggy the environment foliage was not that great either.

Sebmugi

Almost tear up thinking about Motorstorm watching that video :(

Yes the same. a new MotorStorm, with the Driveclub graphics engine, would be the biggest slap in the face <3

with current games overall rendering is always good, as is the case for forza horizon 3, but the devil is in the details .. ^^

Sebmugi

I see the mirrors in DC also reflect right through the cars.

Yet they had done that, but it has been removed for readability ;)

"Rear-view mirrors as you've seen in the latest direct feed footage just show the environment," he said. "You'd be surprised how limited the visibility in the mirrors are for a lot of these cars and for gameplay purposes we want to give the best visibility."

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/driveclub/news/evolution_releases_more_details_on_ps4s_driveclub.html

an example here on the left mirror
1466244078-developer-1-jpg.jpg

Shaneus

Cageyoudontsay.jpg

But still quite different aesthetics and structure which makes it impossible to compare them directly
Thing is though, I'm not sure if it's the shaders or whatever, but the cars in FH3 (even on PC) still look plasticy and not actually planted in the environment. DC still pulls that off flawlessly by comparison, even including the jaggies and 30fps etc etc.

Conduit

Banned
Forza does have way more cars modelled though which probably hurts the amount of attention to detail the cars get in it.

That statement doesn't make sense. There is just one car per scene. How many cars has Forza 6 to choose has nothing to do with amount of detail.

ss_lemonade

That statement doesn't make sense. There is just one car per scene. How many cars has Forza 6 to choose has nothing to do with amount of detail.

He probably means that they had to model more vehicles. So more man power and more time would be needed and it affects the overall quality of everything

Conduit

Banned
They're referring to the work put into creating the cars model, not the GPU power required to display it.

More cars = less time spent per car.

Well in that case too, GT6 has more cars then F4 and still looks better. If you include hard game development for PS3. Really, this theory :
Forza does have way more cars modelled though which probably hurts the amount of attention to detail the cars get in it
...doesn't make sense.

c0de

Car numbers in selection menu are demanding for GPU. LOL. Nope. That's a bullshit theory.

Yeah, that explain why GT6 has way more cars than Forza 4 and also car looks so much better ( premium of course )

Wut wut?

So we are at a situation again where Conduit is just fooling everyone again?
What takes more time - modeling 100 cars or 200 cars?

Conduit

Banned
Didn't GT6 have standard/premium cars?

Yep! IIRC more than 450 are premiums in GT6.

So we are at a situation again where Conduit is just fooling everyone again?
What takes more time - modeling 100 cars or 200 cars?

I'm not fooling everyone. That theory doesn't make sense. Sounds like a dumb excuse if some racing game has better looking cars than the others.

Of course modeling 200 cars takes more time. And still doesn't make sense. Good? Good!

Explain me how is possible that GT Sport has 3 time more cars then DC and it's 60 fps and cars looks so much better in GT Sport?

T.O.P

Banned
Car numbers in selection menu are demanding for GPU. LOL. Nope. That's a bullshit theory.

Yeah, that explain why GT6 has way more cars than Forza 4 and also car looks so much better ( premium of course )

Wut wut?

Well in that case too, GT6 has more cars then F4 and still looks better. If you include hard game development for PS3. Really, this theory : ...doesn't make sense.

Sorry but you just contradicted yourself

And as usual i'm having problems following what you are trying to say

F4 has 678 cars, no premium/standard differences

GT6 has
Total Cars: 1.241
Premium Cars: 447
Semi-Premium Cars: 152
Standard Cars: 642

So i guess they decided to leave those 642 standard cars just because ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

More cars = less time spent per car.

That isn't necessarily true. It depends on the resources allocated to the job.

If one studio has 10 employees dedicated and 100 hours per person to 100 cars. Another studio has 25 employees dedicated with 100 hours per person to 200 cars then the team that has the larger car count can dedicate more time. That is just a very basic example and things such as quality of car capture, ease of use of software and skill of employees also play a big factor.

eso76

What happened to the good forza tradition of revealing cars weekly throughout the summer until release ?

Conduit

Banned
Sorry but you just contradicted yourself

And as usual i'm having problems following what you are trying to say

F4 has 678 cars, no premium/standard differences

GT6 has
Total Cars: 1.241
Premium Cars: 447
Semi-Premium Cars: 152
Standard Cars: 642

So i guess they decided to leave those 642 standard cars just because ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Forza 4 without DLC's had around same number of cars like premiums in GT6 without DLC.

And your theory doesn't make sense too. Same question like for c0de : Explain me how is possible that GT Sport has 2.5 time more cars then DC and it's 60 fps and cars looks so much better in GT Sport?

Top Bottom