• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Pif

Banned
GetPhoto1.jpg

The future is now.

Lol, what track is this?

T.O.P

Banned
So what's the point of this thread? The all racing games can look amazing and terrible at the same time.. let's all sing Kumbaya?

lol

Yup, with some people being more serious than others

Let's all just celebrate how we got a new GT and a new Horizon in the next few months and they are both lookin amazing :D

Roxbury-Brothers-Jim-Carrey-Head-Dance.gif

Also, this thread has definitely taken a turn...
giphy.gif

I'd rather not try something like this, how do you go back to play on a static couch at home after? lol

DD

Let's all just celebrate how we got a new GT and a new Horizon in the next few months and they are both lookin amazing :D

I'm more interested in F1 2016, to be honest. :p

AndyD

aka andydumi

l

Pretty much. It helps a ton that Horizon is now on PC, I feel a lot more players will get a chance to play it. Put it on Steam and even more likely to be so.

ShapeGSX

GetPhoto1.jpg

The future is now.

That's what happens when you use the photo mode camera to zoom into an area that is very far away, right? You get to see the lowest level assets fullscreen. You'll never see anything like that when you're playing the game itself, though.

Gestault

That's what happens when you use the photo mode camera to zoom into an area that is very far away, right? You get to see the lowest level assets fullscreen. You'll never see anything like that when you're playing the game itself, though.

Yeah, just to be clear, this is a trick that takes some effort. This was geometry legitimately about a mile away from the main track, and using a photo-mode focus trick to get lower-than-low LODs, I clipped out through a gap in an invisible wall and zoomed in like crazy. Those cars are environmental, not racers. I assumed people would know a joke when they saw it.

For me it'll be running on a 7TFLOP system, so yeah I do expect it to because it will.

No matter how many TFLOPS you pump into a game, it won't make it look better than a better looking game, sorry :p Or does Dirt 2 look better than Driveclub at 4k and 240 FPS?

Spoiler:
it doesn't

No matter how many TFLOPS you pump into a game, it won't make it look better than a better looking game, sorry :p Or does Dirt 2 look better than Driveclub at 4k and 240 FPS?

Spoiler:
it doesn't

When the game is already just about there besides IQ and framerate (the latter of which isn't really graphics but still), then yes it does make a difference.

ShutterMunster

When the game is already just about there besides IQ and framerate (the latter of which isn't really graphics but still), then yes it does make a difference.

It doesn't look to be basically there though, lol.

Subjective, I know. Different strokes.

I didn't really dig Forza Horizon 2 but I think I'm going to jump on 3-- it's giving me Motorstorm vibes.

Conduit

Banned
Nah. That FH3 gif still looks better imo.. DriveClub has good rain drop effects and some good god rays... but FH3 just looks to have much better environments and car detail.

Cars in FH3 doesn't have so much polys like cars in DC. It's so obvious.

Driveclubs solution is way more on the photorealistic side and can get "boring" to look at.

So what if it is "boring". Skybox isn't limited in DC. When it is better, it's better in any possible way.

They fact that a fully open world, dynamic lighting and weather game can hold up against a closed track game is sad... Both games look amazing, but one is definitely pushing the boundary's due to it's sheer openworldness...

Pif

Banned
Cars in FH3 doesn't have so much polys like cars in DC. It's so obvious.

So what if it is "boring". Skybox isn't limited in DC. When it is better, it's better in any possible way.

Games are made to be nice to look at.

FH3 is nicer to look at for me despite having lower graphical fidelity than DC.

RedRum

Banned
I think DC looks amazing and FH3 falls just short of just as amazing.

However, we're talking about linear racing vs open world racing and that makes a HELL of a difference when trying to compare graphic resources.

Conduit

Banned
They fact that a fully open world, dynamic lighting and weather game can hold up against a closed track game is sad... Both games look amazing, but one is definitely pushing the boundary's due to it's sheer openworldness...

History is repeating again. What TimDog said before about DC? Oh, right : "DC is a corridor racer".

Doesn't mean if game is "closed", can't render so much graphical stuff, even more than open world game.

T.O.P

Banned
History is repeating again. What TimDog said before about DC? Oh, right : "DC is a corridor racer".

Doesn't mean if game is "closed", can't render so much graphical stuff, even more than open world game.

Why are you always so damn condescending dude? holy shit

MetalSlug

I'd rather not try something like this, how do you go back to play on a static couch at home after? lol

This is not my video, but it's the same as what I had a shot of back in October 2015 for a competition to win a Civic Type R. Sadly didn't win it :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_LQ_X6HXgg

Racing games feel stale now :(

We're doing DC vs Forza Horizon 3 now?

FH3 is gorgeous, but c'mon now. Its not even close to what DC pulls off. I can see subjective appreciation for different styles, in which case you could prefer FH2 to DC even, but I'm going to have to think that most of this is coming from folks who haven't played DC. That game is gobsmacking.

Pif

Banned
Yeah, sure! And somebody is trying to say that your opinion is wrong, you call him "defensive", because....your opinion IS wrong.

Calm down. DC is still the graphics king yes. Some people just don't care and are foaming over FH3, because it looks nice. Or doesn't it?

Yeah, sure! And somebody is trying to say that your opinion is wrong, you call him "defensive", because....your opinion IS wrong.

Except it literally isn't because it's an opinion.

If I think a game looks better I think it looks better. It's my opinion and it can't be right or wrong. What's so hard to understand?

Anion

Yes, it can.

I had opinions too in many threads and many of them corrected me. I didn't complain and i didn't call them "defensive".
"Opinions can be wrong" <- true they can be. But only if they are opinions that try to masquerade as facts

I don't think anyone is stating a fact. Seems more like people here saying a preference

"Opinions can be wrong" <- true they can be. But only if they are opinions that try to masquerade as facts

I don't think anyone is stating a fact. Seems more like people here saying a preference

Exactly, I don't see what's so hard to get. My opinion would be wrong if I said the sky isn't blue or I can't feel gravity, but looks are 110% subjective.

FootballFan

Horizon 3 looks really good on the PC

DC still looks amazing though and GTS seems to have everyone beat with their lighting engine :)

Racing games are looking great in general.

adelante

Forzavista kinda rules that out. I don't think I've seen a bonnet open in DC so it's likely that engines aren't modelled.

EDIT: Excluding engines you can see through a window of course.

Yeah I'm kinda interested to see a comparison. Maybe Conduit would be so kind as to provide them?

Fake edit: He needs to calm down first because holy crap lol

FH3 may not have volumetric clouds but they still look among the best I've ever seen in a game.
giphy.gif

M1lkil2.gif

Also, this thread has definitely taken a turn...
giphy.gif

Is that third pic forza? Jesus, I am so happy MS decided to make cross plat play.

I want this for PC, but hate I have to wait until September for a racer :(

Top Bottom