• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Sebmugi

and a little comparison between DC and FH3

1476019564-screenshot-original-12.png
1476028283-driveclub-tm-20161009165607.png

1476019570-screenshot-original-11.png
1476028290-driveclub-tm-20161009165907.png

1476019833-screenshot-original-10.png
1476028292-driveclub-tm-20161009170118.png

1476019831-screenshot-original-9.png
1476028291-driveclub-tm-20161009170641.png

Sebmugi

good overall 3D modeling in FH3, it lacks good shaders, arriving on scorpio i think and then we will have a new graphics standard ;) damage comparisons will stop, for there will be no update on DC pro ps4 :/

autoevolution is not a game ?? reassure me ^^

it's nothing
lol nice comment;)
I would make another small comparative ;)

2 other things that I find interesting between in-game models of the same car:
- detail on the rims. For example you can find cars in Forza with rims where even the shape is obviously wrong, on some cars though even the smallest written details are modeled on them.
- position of the front wheels
here, full lock seems to be the same on both models, camber is not really noticeable on both. Some games have really different steering lock and amount of Ackermann for the same car.

Project CARS und Forza Motorsport 6

Noobcraft

good overall 3D modeling in FH3, it lacks good shaders, arriving on scorpio i think and then we will have a new graphics standard ;) damage comparisons will stop, for there will be no update on DC pro ps4 :/

autoevolution is not a game ?? reassure me ^^
It's a real life shot for comparison lol. I wish racing games had drivers that detailed.

I have a feeling that each Atom might be a different region model (ie. Forza's devs scanned a US model with being in Seattle, Driveclub's devs scanned a UK model maybe), because when I google "Ariel Atom V8" the vast majority of the results have double headlights, while both games have a variation on triple headlights.

991010345133461600x1060.jpg

Most of the results match neither car so maybe there were a few different models.

good overall 3D modeling in FH3, it lacks good shaders,

The interesting thing is, I would not doubt if the surface shading model in both games is really really similar (as most games are these days that use PBS). DC though has the advantage of having SSR, which allows for micro-occlussion and self-reflections on top of the that. That is largest attibutable difference visible in those screens IMO.

Gestault

2rSIfng.png

The difference on surface modelling/materials isn't dramatic, but you can definitely see it. This is one of those scenarios I have to give the detail to Horizon 3.

Sebmugi

I fully agree with you Dictator93 ;)

there are both small "artifacts" that appear with the photo mode on parts of some cars..in particular on the first car models, modeled for the game

as under the headlight of the Clio ^^

:p

there are both small "artifacts" that appear with the photo mode on parts of some cars..in particular on the first car models, modeled for the game

The Clio was not in FM5, so there are at least 200 older cars in Forza. I think it was a DLC car in FH2, but really not sure.

Is the paint supposed to be the same color in FH and DC? That's definitely not the same yellow.

dr guildo

Well, considering FH3 is open world, i'd say they're both pretty insane.
I do think Driveclub could use a bit more AA (or downsampling on PRO).

The real question is :

What is preventing DC to be open world technically ?
The world sets in DC is more huge than FH3 IMO, you can see the curvature of the Earth at high altitudes, and many screenshots proved that off road environments are as detailed as on-road and near-road environments. So technically, if Evolution decides all of a sudden to break the invisible walls set around the road, what will happen ?

DD

The real question is :

What is preventing DC to be open world technically ?
The world sets in DC is more huge than FH3 IMO, you can see the curvature of the Earth at high altitudes, and many screenshots proved that off road environments are as detailed as on-road and near-road environments. So technically, if Evolution decides all of a sudden to break the invisible walls set around the road, what will happen ?

Well, it takes time to add details around. In an open world game, details are more spread, while in a game that acts like a corridor, you can focus just around the track. Yes, the maps in Driveclub are insanely huge, but the invisible walls won't even let you go one meter out of the asphalt.

cooldawn

Talked about this before.

They render 260km of terrain for road focussed gameplay so 260km is rendered to varying degrees of quality. I suspect any open-world gameplay would be limited to roads only with this engine. Off-road gameplay would be limited to clearly defined dirt-tracks i.e. not off the beaten path.

I'd be fine with that though. Top Gear challenge style gameplay. I imagine The Crew's environments using DriveClub's engine and my mind is blown.

Gestault

based on the screen I commented, if it's not whitewashed, please, tell me what "whitewashed" is according to your standards.
Is it a weather setting, or photomode setting ? I don't know.

Overexposed is probably the word you're looking for. That's a standard setting for photo modes. It just means the high-range is "blown out."

dr guildo

Look at this picture I took with the courtesy of Cayn from screenshots thread :

fh3caayn1sluoq.png

Notice the hill lacking of textures (LOD purpose).
Not very different from what Noobcraft has pointed in DC lastly.

So I re-ask my question for the experts who would come by here :

What is preventing DC to go open world ?

dr guildo

Overexposed is probably the word you're looking for. That's a standard setting for photo modes. It just means the high-range is "blown out."

Yeah, exactly that word, my vocabulary is not very rich since my native tongue is the french.
Excuse my english for not being as fluent as the one from people in here...

Gestault

So I re-ask my question for the experts who would come by here :

What is preventing DC to go open world ?

It's basically that the content, steaming and assets aren't really developed for "up close" views (or actual driving) on that scale. If you re-engineered the game, altered the handling model, and developed assets for proximity....it could work, but at that point you'd be describing a different game. Not just new assets, but new engineering would be needed.

Yeah, exactly that word, my vocabulary is not very rich since my native tongue is the french.
Excuse my english for not being as fluent as the one from people in here...

Get onto Sony on Twitter and tell them just to make it open world then, remove all those invisible walls. Simples.

:p

You will think that after so many Forza games Turn 10 should be approaching getting lighting right.

Top Bottom