• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

DD

With every new Forza this thread is bumped, and inevitably this new game is compared to Driveclub, a game made by a studio that was closed. How f*ckin sad is that? I mean, we (PS4 owners) have nothing else aside multiplat games! It is disgraceful how Sony won't give a shit anymore for racing games. This is by far my favorite genre, and the PS4 is the very first PS I own, and this is what happens... ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)

Yeah, yeah, the new GT is coming and, yeah, I don't give a shit about online gaming, so to hell with it, Sony. ಥ_ಥ

dr guildo

19500196115_93fc28f244_o.jpg

20397271979_64610ec358_o.jpg

20574995002_9cb5e71dfc_o.jpg

John Wick

So because it doesn't store the whole world in RAM, it's not really open world??

mj-laughing.gif

A new low in rationalization.
Can we go lower?!?

Are you having trouble with comprehension? Or are you clutching at desperation to twist what was being stated?
There was no mention of open world in my statement. In FH3 the game can only draw/render the game to its ram and gpu limitations. Same as Driveclub.

John Wick

This is getting hilarious now. The only way you can justify it is that people who want to compare just don't understand, and I'm sure you're implying their opinions don't count too, right?

We get it Forza is always better.
When PD delayed GT Sport I had a huge argument that Kaz needs to go. Forza is leading GT in many respects. I can accept that. But even in that thread it was always Forza. We get it

We get it Forza is always better.
When PD delayed GT Sport I had a huge argument that Kaz needs to go. Forza is leading GT in many respects. I can accept that. But even in that thread it was always Forza. We get it

Way to deflect and entirely ignore the post you quoted.

thelastword

Banned
Thelastword, do you think getting some screengrabs to share from the games you like might be cool? The shots you've been using and been other people's (and older stuff, and some just from stage presentations). I feel like you'll come up with good stuff.

I think it's simple really, DC has better draw distance, better detail, better looking cars, better lighting, better effects than FH3, so in motion I don't see how all of that put together is going to be eclipsed by FH3. I've never denied that FH3 is a very nice looking racer with nice IQ and sunny locales, but the differentiator is mostly art and aesthetics as opposed to the technical superiority and composition in DC. So yes, one may prefer the look of FH3, but I'm not sure that is the purpose of this thread.

Now if this thread was about which racer you prefer to see, then it becomes subjective. People could name whatever they wanted from the upcoming redout, to Rise, to Ride 2 to Road Rash etc...so in this thread, if you present a game and don't want to see it's shortcomings on a technical level, I'm not sure you're coming to this thread with the right mindset.....

On the flip, so much content have been placed in this thread showing DC's visual superiority. I thought to explain what the superior details were, however, If you want me to give more media (my own as it were) to substantiate my take on all of this, I'm more than willing to put my money where my mouth is......Just give me a few hours to go through some races and take a few shots, I lost all my PS4 media a couple of months back.......(it's a long story)...

Well then we're in for a treat in this thread when GTSport comes out in two years.

And yeah Dirt Rally does look better (and performs better) in several aspects. WRC6 looks a hell of a lot better than 5 though.

I never claimed these were the best looking games, just wanted to post some actual pics of new games other than FH and DC rather than writing long dissertations on why the games that people like are exiguous.

This shit show of a thread needs more pics of racing game graphics of all kinds and less verbs.

I don't think GTS is that far out though, however this is a thread about racing graphics, it's a faceoff where we can nitpick (uhhh pick the graphics apart), So I really don't know why some people are opposed to that itsy concept ;)

In any case, if it is, that you want to see screens without much discourse, I'm sure the screenshot thread is a better fit.

Photomode

29543140503_f8c49ba9f2_o.jpg
And here is one thing I've been saying, funny that no-one else commented on this brilliant post. Some people are posting awful jpeg captures, awfully compressed photos to show DC in the worse light. I'm not sure that has been done for FH3, pretty much the majority of pics on FH3 are photomode shots or PNG's (well I made sure the ones I posted to show FH3's compromises are top quality) as I want to ensure the comparisons are fair.

My only point here is that the compromises of FH3 are still easily highlighted through some photomode shots and high end PNG's. No need to post caps of a shitty youtube video to show DC has bad IQ when it doesn't.....I'm just saying people who do that are clearly not about arguing this fairly and it looks a bit desperate.

Now unto some laps......

Bliman

Banned
To me it's all meaningless.
Everyone has his opinion which is the most beautiful game.
So it's all about the tech I read, but is that all there is? There are more things that make a race game more beautiful then tech alone. There is art direction, consistency in creating a beautiful world, how the cars behave,etc.
If it is all about the tech then you have to say what tech must be in the game to make it beautiful and which are to be avoided and why (again personal, someone is more critical of something then the other).
To me tech is just a part in making a race game good looking.
I don't understand this back and forward, because it's totally personal what you find the best looking racer.
No need to defend or attack someone on their opinion.

Some people are posting awful jpeg captures, awfully compressed photos to show DC in the worse light. I'm not sure that has been done for FH3, pretty much the majority of pics on FH3 are photomode shots or PNG's (well I made sure the ones I posted to show FH3's compromises are top quality) as I want to ensure the comparisons are fair.

Are you seriously trying to suggest this is on purpose?

Let's draw a comparison here. Forza is available on Xbox and PC, both of which have been able to produce uncompressed PNGs since the beginning of their screenshotting abilties. Driveclub is on PS4, which, for a long time after launch, wasn't capable of outputting uncompressed shots.

The most people will play a game is near its launch, so naturally most media of DC came out while people couldn't screenshot it properly.

If we're trying to argue such insignificant things as this then I might as well say that people are only posting tiny GIFs of DC to try and hide flaws, but I know that isn't true so I'm not actually declaring it.

EDIT: And just so I'm not going too badly against what Gestault wants:
rrwS5Bn.png

oP5EXFw.png

It's such a pity that foliage/trees in FH3 are such low quality assets. Everything else looks ace tho.

I love the motion blur especially. It looks wonderful.

This game made me realise the XBone doesn't have a button for single click screen capture like the PS4. And that made me mad... ffs Microsoft.

I love Forza 6 and FH3, but graphically they can't compare to DC. Horizon 3 does look great though, and the saturated look fits with the atmosphere of the game so I can't really fault it for that.

I really wish we could've gotten a second season pass and a PS4 Pro update for DC. Damn shame that Evolution was shuttered.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This game made me realise the XBone doesn't have a button for single click screen capture like the PS4. And that made me mad... ffs Microsoft.

I'm really surprised they didn't add one to the new Bluetooth controller when they refreshed it. Even if maybe only the Xbox one S could support it. Making lots of photos and constantly having to do the double tap dance got annoying fast.

Is there a quick way of taking screenshots on the PC version?

With every new Forza this thread is bumped, and inevitably this new game is compared to Driveclub, a game made by a studio that was closed. How f*ckin sad is that? I mean, we (PS4 owners) have nothing else aside multiplat games! It is disgraceful how Sony won't give a shit anymore for racing games. This is by far my favorite genre, and the PS4 is the very first PS I own, and this is what happens... ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)

Yeah, yeah, the new GT is coming and, yeah, I don't give a shit about online gaming, so to hell with it, Sony. ಥ_ಥ
Instead of being loyal to a stupid brand on a plastic box, maybe widen the horizon and buy platforms with games you actually want, rather than sit annoyed behind a fence looking over to greener grass on the other side. Just a thought for a hell of a lot of people in this thread.

Javin98

Banned
To me it's all meaningless.
Everyone has his opinion which is the most beautiful game.
So it's all about the tech I read, but is that all there is? There are more things that make a race game more beautiful then tech alone. There is art direction, consistency in creating a beautiful world, how the cars behave,etc.
If it is all about the tech then you have to say what tech must be in the game to make it beautiful and which are to be avoided and why (again personal, someone is more critical of something then the other).
To me tech is just a part in making a race game good looking.
I don't understand this back and forward, because it's totally personal what you find the best looking racer.
No need to defend or attack someone on their opinion.
Agreed completely with this. I always facepalm whenever there is a platform war on GAF.

eso76

With every new Forza this thread is bumped, and inevitably this new game is compared to Driveclub, a game made by a studio that was closed. How f*ckin sad is that?

It only gets sadder when the inevitable PGR4 New York in the rain .gif reappears.

DD

Instead of being loyal to a stupid brand on a plastic box, maybe widen the horizon and buy platforms with games you actually want, rather than sit annoyed behind a fence looking over to greener grass on the other side. Just a thought for a hell of a lot of people in this thread.
I was loyal to the Xbox brand (as I said, the PS4 is the very first PS I own), but since 2009/10 I think that Microsoft's direction is shit, and got even worse with the Xbone reveal. The 180º didn't do much, I still dislike their stuff, even Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon, with their weak ass career modes (my opinion :p). And I always dreamed about investing time in a GT title, which I never did, so I decided to pick a PS this time, even though I hate the Dualshock controller, only to see Sony closing the Evolution Studios and making an uninteresting (again, my opinion) GT game. Even Driveclub wasn't that great to me, with it's boring single player mode. I'm scratching my racing itch with the PC. :3

It only gets sadder when the inevitable PGR4 New York in the rain .gif reappears.
Tehehe... :3

cooldawn

The biggest takeaway is the amount and also quality of detail you see way into the horizon or the amount of detail that exists way above the immediate driving atmosphere in the clouds etc... This is certainly not a linear game skimping on details in the traditional sense. Before you approach bridges in DC, you see them from far away on approach, they're all massively detailed, the water bodies below them or elsewhere move and look real and don't appear like flat textures on approach. Couple that with cars on these tracks locations that never skimp on detail, high poly high detail cars, perhaps some of the most impressive cockpits we've seen in a racer with a detailed enough driver, wipers that animate superbly. Then we have the excellent lighting that impacts all these high end assets and details, when the sun hits the glass approaching a corner in India, it's almost blinding. Hell, you see dry streaks on your windshield in dry weather when the sun hits the glass. Cars stay wet and actually look wet when they go through torrential periods, brake calipers hot up and are visible during certain race cams.

As a linear racer they could have skimped on a lot of details, they didn't, they could have skimped on draw distance, they didn't, they could have made water bodies that are much further away from the player look flat on approach like FH3 does just a few feet away but they didn't, they could have made mountains 2D bitmaps, flat or untextured but they didn't. They could have baked their lighting to save performance or suit a linear track profile, they didn't. They could have skimped on their cloud render and skyboxes with a cheaper alternative, they didn't. That's the point really, so many areas that people would not immediately notice they could have skimped detail, but chose not to.

The point is, in any scene in DC, with it's huge draw distance, a high level of detail in the environs/track/location, better looking and more detailed cars, better lighting, better effects (debris, weather-rain, lightning, precipitation changes, dry weather-dust pickup etc.) POM, quality of foliage..DC is always doing much more than FH3 per scene. So if one says they prefer how FH3 looks, that's fine, they may prefer the sunnier locales but technically it's not even close and visually there's no doubt which racer looks more authentic and more visually stunning. That's why when you do a video comparison with all racers, it's not even a contest, some racers look comical in contrast and this is where all the high detail, great lighting and volumetrics of DC comes together.

One thing is sure, I've zoomed in on many details in DC and it's amazing how much they didn't skimp on. I've zoomed in on trees, water sources, rocks, cars, mountains, they're all pretty kosher. I'm sure there are some shitty compressed Jpegs of DC out there showing stuff no one else have noticed during extended play, but all the pics I've shown of FH3, even the video of the hummer were pretty good quality. The pics were PNG at least. There's no need to be disingenuous about it.
That's what I alluded to myself...the tech could be used to create an open-world game because everything is being rendered anyway. Add in the amazing lighting and weather effects.

Except I said it with far fewer words : )

GT6 looks so much better than this though, with a much higher and stable framerate. I like that they got rid of tearing with the latest patch, but they didn't exactly improve framerate with it. For a game which looks like it does, you would expect better in the framerate department at least.
Please don't use Gran Turismo 6 for any tech debate...because it ended up being worse than Gran turismo 5.

This is getting hilarious now. The only way you can justify it is that people who want to compare just don't understand, and I'm sure you're implying their opinions don't count too, right?
People actually think linear has better results because of perceived narrow scope of a game and preconceptions. I'm sure if I was to scan this thread it would have been brought up many, many times so don't act as if it doesn't happen. If people think rendering is completely different then that post is pretty much on-point. It's the reason I stated DriveClub is rendering such a massive space so it, equally, should be able to create the same Horizon playground as PlayGround Games themselves. Is that so hard to imagine?

I've already made it clear that I think DC looks better than FH3 but FH3 is a beautiful game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yecDcXRRz4 Is that drone mode?
Colour me surprise. I wasn't in the slightest impressed if that's Ultra settings.

Gosh.

Zojirushi

Man these Driveclub screens and gifs always make me put in the game from time to time and then somehow it never looks as good as I would like it to. I don't know what it is.

eso76

Man these Driveclub screens and gifs always make me put in the game from time to time and then somehow it never looks as good as I would like it to. I don't know what it is.

Exactly my feelings.
I don't know what it is, the lighting, models and everything else are there, obviously, but something just doesn't work when I play it myself and I don't know what it is.

Noobcraft

Exactly my feelings.
I don't know what it is, the lighting, models and everything else are there, obviously, but something just doesn't work when I play it myself and I don't know what it is.
It's the bad AF, low quality motion blur that creates tons of noise, muddy textures, and lowish draw distance with occasional pop-in that make it look bad in gameplay compared to screens shared here.

driveclub_20160109170oortl.png

driveclub_20151008194b6pti.png

driveclub_20150729110wpq3k.jpg

Jamesways

I agree with you guys. I feel sometimes DC is a bit too dark/murky under certain conditions.
Although I do love the gray/blue of just before dawn.

I actually prefer the bright sunny mid-day conditions, especially racing on the bikes. The lighting off the materials is great.
27727038485_232f5ae57c_o.jpg

27116513483_ab8845afac_o.jpg

Love that cold filter too, turned down to about 20%
What an amazing feature. Would love to see filters and %s in other games.
27116513533_d0dcf3e3da_o.jpg

Synth

At the very least I'm glad this thread is progressing away from gifs and photomode nonsense, to actual screenshots.

RedRum

Banned
White I'm certainly not going to take away from DC's graphics, I think it is a bit of a cheat to go all in on it as if one Forza game is not doing a locked 60 and the other isn't constantly rendering an open world environment.

rashbeep

Banned
I agree with you guys. I feel sometimes DC is a bit too dark/murky under certain conditions.
Although I do love the gray/blue of just before dawn.

I actually prefer the bright sunny mid-day conditions, especially racing on the bikes. The lighting off the materials is great.

Dawn/dusk lighting in DC is when it's best looking imo. I'm really liking how GT:S looks during a clear day.

Gran-Turismo-Sport-E3-2016-Official-106-1280x720.jpg

3080524-willow_springs_big_willow_normal_06_1465877597.jpg

3080518-willow_springs_big_willow_grn_02_1465877594.jpg

Noobcraft

Dawn/dusk lighting in DC is when it's best looking imo. I'm really liking how GT:S looks during a clear day.

Gran-Turismo-Sport-E3-2016-Official-106-1280x720.jpg

3080524-willow_springs_big_willow_normal_06_1465877597.jpg

3080518-willow_springs_big_willow_grn_02_1465877594.jpg
GT:S has excellent lighting, and the car interiors are fantastic. Really excited to see what they do with the Pro. I'd like to see what they could pull of at 1080P with the extra power.

GTS's worst thing is that the sound is incredibly dull/artificial. I really, really hope they improve them before launch, otherwise I'm not even gonna bother playing the game. It just kills any excitement during gameplay.

rashbeep

Banned
GTS's worst thing is that the sound is incredibly dull/artificial. I really, really hope they improve them before launch, otherwise I'm not even gonna bother playing the game. It just kills any excitement during gameplay.

I was around during previous GT launches when Kaz said they were working on the sounds. I'm not holding my breath.

Peterthumpa

Driveclub sure looks great when it wants to. But I must say, Horizon 3 impressed me so much with its graphics that I'm torn between which one looks best. These pics are mine, photo mode but basically the same as gameplay, since I'm playing on PC at 30 FPS and max settings:

iL3Qo5w.jpg

KzDscDH.jpg

6QUzVGh.jpg

N2ZfhKC.jpg

zsPORMu.jpg

2KMHVUk.jpg

Zxget1z.jpg

64jLxEF.jpg

It's certainly the first time I'm playing a game which looks as good in real time as the built in photo mode.

Does photomode increase motion blur samples per chance? Because the motion blur on the wheel is pretty prisitine.

Yeah, rendering the shot takes a lot more samples, it looks really nice.

With motion blur set to ultra the game takes 21 samples for blurring and that already looks pretty fantastic. If we can run the game decrypted/modded one of the first things I'm going to test is a crazy amount of samples in gameplay.

Have a non-photomode shot of FH3:

5JMqguB.png

Just watched a stream of FH3 were the dude took a lap around almost the whole island in about 15 minutes or so... Wasn't impressed by it's graphics very much but of course this opinion is based on a fucking stream so..

Played a bit of my beloved driveclub after that and the image quality issues it really has...
But apart from that it still looks ( and sounds) so damn beautiful when it all comes together.

A damn shame that evo got closed.. How could they? So much attention to detail and love put into the game.
You can still find people playing online, just to let you know.

Edit: and the pics above look really great!

Top Bottom