• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

dr guildo

Just. Play. The. Game.

Please, for the love of gas pedals people, don't make up your mind only looking at screenshots or videos alone. And definitely don't let a console brand colour your choice or hinder your library from including fantastic games.

Don't worry, I'm not in that console wars, no time for this, and too old for this bullshit, I'm only here to give credit to dev who deserve it when it comes to accomplished work, and in this area, Evo is just unbeaten. This is simple, this is the very first time I can't find something to add in an imaginary sequel of the game :

Photorealism ? done
-Heathaze ? done
-No more skybox, True sky ? done
-Tarmac that never repeat itself ? done
-Leaves and dirt on the road ? done
-Reallife overcast system ? done
-windshield and window reflection in cockpit view ? done
-Perfect cars modeling ? done
-Amazing level of detail everywhere ? done
-Constellations accurate to real night sky with Nasa's DATA ? done
-Northern lights to see if all conditions are reunited ? done
-Resolution NASA data used to accurately map landscapes and mountain formations ? done
-Reallife draw distance ? done
-Global illumination ? done
-All environmental light sources independently generated with different properties ? done
-over 100 different varieties of trees, bushes, mosses and flowers ? done
-Self reflection body applied on cars ? done
-Materials accuratly rendered (carbon) ? done
-Unprecedented sense of speed ? done
-Moblur of quality ? done
-Superb views (cockpit, winshield, bonnet) ? done

Quite frankly, I don't think a dev will put more features in a racer than EVO, Those people are crazy when it comes to the attention to the detail...

Noobcraft

it's quite obvious that all media people are sharing about this game are photomode based, or drone mode based, but never in game based (gameplay situation). why ? Because the lighting is not as convincing as during extra cam modes.
Drone Mode is gameplay. It's all real time and the cars drive around while you go. You can fly your drone around the entire map while it cycles.

Pick out which of the following are photomode vs gameplay:
screenshot-original59qbk.png

screenshot-originalvho6q.png

screenshot-originalcos48.png

screenshot-originalw9o06.png

screenshot-originalmaob4.png

shandy706

Please, all I want is gameplay shots, not that hard I think.
I provided 100% in game shots of DC, I don't wait for the least for FH3 for once.

Almost everything I've posted minus a couple shots is gameplay. The gif above is gameplay.

What are you talking about? Are you literally ignoring ALL the gamplay shots I post.

You're posting total BS in the bolded part.

It's obvious you've never played Horizon 3. Horizon 3 can at times look so good in gameplay you didn't even realize we're posting real time shots...haha :p

Sebmugi

it is interesting to note that the 3D model change in DC this fact from 4 competitors, before is the same as when there is a car .. XP

by cons in FH3 it happens the same, between the photo mode and the drone mode is not the same car 3D model.

how many times they just modeled the same car between forza vista mode, ingame, photo mode, the NPC mode.. XD

Gestault

Just dealing with what people feed the thread, nothing more, I have no agenda, at first I was even thinking that FH3 was the new king when I saw it in the screenshot console thread, but now it's quite obvious that all media people are sharing about this game are photomode based, or drone mode based, but never in game based (gameplay situation). why ? Because the lighting is not as convincing as during extra cam modes.

I think you've been assuming some gameplay shots were photo mode, in some cases. Based on posts here and in any of the image sharing threads, at least. You also may also be misunderstanding what drone mode is.

Please, all I want is gameplay shots, not that hard I think.
I provided 100% in game shots of DC, I don't wait for the least for FH3 for once.

This really makes it sound like you think the normal appearance of the game is "cheating." That is gameplay, you move the right stick to move the camera to look around the car. The HUD is just turned off.

dr guildo

Yes? You're piloting the drone. Are you going to make the argument that it isn't a racing game anymore or something? Lol
C5X5gls.gif

All I wanted is what Shandy provided in the last page, driving shots, that's what I'm calling gameplay shots, shots when you are playing.

dr guildo

Almost everything I've posted minus a couple shots is gameplay. The gif above is gameplay.

What are you talking about? Are you literally ignoring ALL the gamplay shots I post.

You're posting total BS in the bolded part.

It's obvious you've never played Horizon 3. Horizon 3 can at times look so good in gameplay you didn't even realize we're posting real time shots...haha :p

Yeah, sorry for that missing, I didn't see your gameplay post, it's all about my fault.
Now can you please provide daytime shots with what it will seem for you to be the most photorealistic settings that the game can push ?
Thx in advance !
Because, for me, the benchmark is real life, and I'm hardly impress by racing games that don't approach photorealism, for me this gen if not to celebrate how far we are from the last gen, but how close we are to reality.

God no I'm not above it, but at the same time you act like you are.

Like I said, I try. I have nothing but praise for FH3 after playing it (Just not better looking than DC). It just doesn't make sense to be calling out ppl as fanboys when you(not talking about you specifically) are one yourself.

eso76

Are you driving during drone mode ?

Dude, seriously, drone mode is just that:
park the car and you're free to move the camera around. 100% same as ingame.

Also, photomode has NO effect on lighting whatsoever (it does swap models and renders motion blur, dof and AA with greater accuracy) but you may tweak saturation, exposure etc.

Momentary

Banned
it is interesting to note that the 3D model change in DC this fact from 4 competitors, before is the same as when there is a car .. XP

by cons in FH3 it happens the same, between the photo mode and the drone mode is not the same car 3D model.

how many times they just modeled the same car between forza vista mode, ingame, photo mode, the NPC mode.. XD

Drone mode doesn't do that for me. I guess because of PC. It uses the same car model no matter what.

Momentary

Banned
I think he was saying drone mode is different to photo mode, i.e. Drone mode is gameplay and photo isn't.

No. He's pointing out that the game uses 2 different car models depending on what aspect of the game your using i.e Gameplay, drone, photo. In his photos there are 2 different car models. I don't have that issue.

My car model stays the same. I guess this is a technique used on XB1.

dr guildo

Dude, seriously, drone mode is just that:
park the car and you're free to move the camera around. 100% same as ingame.

Also, photomode has NO effect on lighting whatsoever (it does swap models and renders motion blur, dof and AA with greater accuracy) but you may tweak saturation, exposure etc.

My question was rethoric, of course you are not driving (your car), so it's not gameplay, it's a free cam. Warning, I'm not telling that drone mode is not real time, you have to be a noob in graphics to say that, all I say is that people choose drone mode and photomode over gameplay shots for a reason.

ShapeGSX

My question was ironic, of course you are not driving (your car), so it's not gameplay, it's a free cam. Warning, I'm not telling that drone mode is not real time, you have to be a noob in graphics to say that, all I say is that people choose drone mode and photomode over gameplay shots for a reason.

Drone mode renders the same way as game play does, period. And in online mode, other people can be driving while you pilot the drone. Your car will be sitting idle, however.

People choose drone mode because it's a free cam that , in the right hands (not mine) can generate absolutely incredible GIFs and videos.

I really don't understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying that drone mode looks better (rendering-wise) than when you just drive around? It does not.

Like I said, I try. I have nothing but praise for FH3 after playing it (Just not better looking than DC). It just doesn't make sense to be calling out ppl as fanboys when you(not talking about you specifically) are one yourself.

Same way. I think forza is an amazing game. Probably one of my top ones this gen. It actually got me into racers again. That said, I think driveclub beats it in visuals. Not by a landslide unless we're comparing weather. Driveclub when it's raining and coming down and you're zooming around is a heavenly experience.

all I say is that people choose drone mode and photomode over gameplay shots for a reason.

Okay, tell us why.

Gameplay:
Drone mode:

Now, the way you say "people choose drone mode [...] over gameplay shots for a reason" implies that drone mode does something better, or that they're trying to hide something that looks bad in gameplay. Would you mind looking at those two shots and telling us what exactly that reason is?

Same way. I think forza is an amazing game. Probably one of my top ones this gen. It actually got me into racers again. That said, I think driveclub beats it in visuals. Not by a landslide unless we're comparing weather. Driveclub when it's raining and coming down and you're zooming around is a heavenly experience.

I can respect that.

RankoSD

FH3, outside of the very beautiful skies, fails to impress me in any other way when it comes to realism, DC did that many times in many ways and still does.

FH3 non photomode. THis is in game using the replay cam. NO voodoo bullshot trickery here. Framerate is included in all the pics in case you think this was running as some kind of slideshow.

Here's one in 4K

Here's one in 5K
Nothing about those images feels amazing, in fact, they look quite bad.

Now, the way you say "people choose drone mode [...] over gameplay shots for a reason" implies that drone mode does something better, or that they're trying to hide something that looks bad in gameplay. Would you mind looking at those two shots and telling us what exactly that reason is?

Drone mode obviously adds the extra car on the road!

Haha just kidding, I think the last year or so for racers have been really great. I hope Evolution can maybe make enhance Driveclub to 60fps with PS4Pro.

Synth

Yeah, sorry for that missing, I didn't see your gameplay post, it's all about my fault.
Now can you please provide daytime shots with what it will seem for you to be the most photorealistic settings that the game can push ?
Thx in advance !
Because, for me, the benchmark is real life, and I'm hardly impress by racing games that don't approach photorealism, for me this gen if not to celebrate how far we are from the last gen, but how close we are to reality.

I mean... that's all fair enough. But know that's a very personal view of graphics, and not universal. To take an old comparison, Gran Turismo 4 on PS2 looks clearly more photorealistic than Project Gotham Racing 2 did on the Xbox... and hell, Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 often does over Forza Motorsport 6 on XB1. However, in either case I'd be very surprised to hear of anyone that actually counts each of those Gran Turismo games as being better graphically than the games I compared them to. Photorealism is also an artistic target, and no more valid than a game choosing to be artificially beautiful (like say a new Outrun would opt for). You can achieve a look of photorealism at lower fidelity, because it's possible to have photos at lower fidelity also. This is why games like Gran Turismo 5 look so convincing in smaller gifs, as the more the details fade away, the more your brain is willing to accept the comparison to a photo or video of real life, that's similarly lacking in finer details. This is also why Driveclub looks so convincing during heavy weather conditions, as the visual flaws are hidden by the now common "can't see shit" factor that is expected to be present under those conditions.

My question was rethoric, of course you are not driving (your car), so it's not gameplay, it's a free cam. Warning, I'm not telling that drone mode is not real time, you have to be a noob in graphics to say that, all I say is that people choose drone mode and photomode over gameplay shots for a reason.

The drone is gameplay. In FH3 you can be driving a car, or you can be flying a drone... in BOTH cases you are still playing the game itself. If you were able to get out of your car and walk around in FH3, would you then also claim this wasn't gameplay also?

ShutterMunster

Am I crazy or does Forza Horizon 3 look WAY better than 2? It could be that I just find the new environment to be more interesting to look at.

God, imagine what Driveclub would look like with a 1080p centric Pro patch...

Fucking hell, Sony. #PatchDriveclub

LostDonkey

Am I crazy or does Forza Horizon 3 look WAY better than 2? It could be that I just find the new environment to be more interesting to look at.

God, imagine what Driveclub would look like with a 1080p centric Pro patch...

Fucking hell, Sony. #PatchDriveclub

It looks way better because they didn't have to bother with a 360 version plus I'm sure the sdk is more mature now and they will have learned a lot from the Motorsport entries.

Top Bottom