• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Momentary

Banned
All these gloomy rain pics are about to make me throw up.

Here's 5K 48FPS gameplay of FH3 with the Vulcan in a sunny city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQWpNXZ8S8I

I do not like car models from GT, FH, or DC. After looking past their nice coats of paints they miss a lot of exterior details and/or get the trims wrong on cars while also having lack luster or non-existing internals,

Forza Horizon 3 made me really go back and forth with what other competitors had. This was my first full fledged Forza game other than APEX. I understand it's an arcade racer that goes for a bunch of stuff and it looks awesome, but their car models just irk me.

Also, I hope the Vulcan gets into a more sim based game. Seems like such a waste to have it only in an arcade race game.

Also... dat Subaru BRAT son!!!

30214157576_4b6d2816d0_o.png

John Wick

Driveclub wasn't a launch title. It came out like a year after the PS4 launched, and was iterated on well into its lifecycle with things like weather, POM, and the bikes expansion.

It's still a first gen title. Playground games got a massive headstart by using the Forza Motorsport engine and most of their cars and parts for upgrading etc. Also what size are the teams??? I'm pretty sure judging by the quality of the first game the second DC would be superior graphically to FH3

dr guildo

Why are we posting tiny, post processed, images?

5 minutes of barely any work..:p

Forza Horizon 3...

Don't be lazy, if you want full size, please help yourself, go to the provided links in my previous posts. It's an invitation to visit this awesome thread.

Synth

Driveclub is still the benchmark in Racing graphics.

I swear some posters here were saying that FH2 looks better.. Jesus after looking at the video again FH2 is like a clean 360 game compared to FH3 let alone Driveclub.

I think Forza Horizon 2 very regularly looks better than Driveclub yea. I don't think it's on the same technical level at all, but its clean sharp details are far preferable to me, than Driveclub's muddy approximations of everything. I made the comparison of Half Life 2 vs Doom 3 before, and that's basically where I still stand on the two. One is pretty much the height of a previous generation of rendering techniques, whereas the other is technically next-gen, but compromised in various image quality an/or scope respects to make it possible a similar tier of hardware.

As before though, I've stated that the clear exception to this is Driveclub under heavy weather conditions, where I think it looks noticeably better than any other game's weather. That hasn't changed with FH3 either, and in fact I don't personally think that FH3 is the Forza series' best weather showing personally. I'd rate them FM6 > FH3 >>>> FH2 in that regards. FH2 suffers from a rather poor wet road shader that causes the entire road to somewhat take on the appearance of a mirrors, rather than asphalt with water over it.

So yea, in a rain weather comparison I'd expect Driveclub to beat FH3 quite cleanly, let alone FH2. But I don't think it compares very favourably the clearer the conditions get.

dr guildo

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/25/1434609774-driveclub-tm-20150618072600.jpg

Better res version.

Can't say I'm a fan of the particle dust though. Ruins the image, in some cases where you want to make the image look dirtier it looks pretty good especially on the scotland tracks on an overcast dawn but but on that it is way too heavy and looks pretty nasty. Clouds and use of blue further away from the camera (which so many games miss) is great though.

Mesmerizing !

Edit : Eh DUmb, I think this image is from you, do you confirm this ?
Nice job, what a scenery, just look at this sky !! It makes it more magic when you think its all about volumetric clouds, no skybox.

dr guildo

It's still a first gen title. Playground games got a massive headstart by using the Forza Motorsport engine and most of their cars and parts for upgrading etc. Also what size are the teams??? I'm pretty sure judging by the quality of the first game the second DC would be superior graphically to FH3

That's right, DC is indeed a first gen title, and I'm quite sure that Darkologia want to mean that fact when saying "launch title". One year makes part of the launch window.

MilkyJoe

I post images in dry time from gameplay situation lately,
Here, here, and here

Please, let us know where it's looks "pants DC looks pants without weather effects."

Well you posted two pictures of dry and sunlight and they look a bit pants. When you try to make a point, why hide it in 500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000KB of off point photos?? Jesus wept.

dr guildo

Well you posted two pictures of dry and sunlight and they look a bit pants. When you try to make a point, why hide it in 500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000KB of off point photos?? Jesus wept.

What are you saying ?
I don't get what you mean... Sorry...

EGOMON

That's right, DC is indeed a first gen title, and I'm quite sure that Darkologia want to mean that fact when saying "launch title". One year makes part of the launch window.
Yes i did meant it was developed as a launch title even though it was delayed year later so, yeah very impressive for first game of an IP

Sebmugi

Mesmerizing !

Edit : Eh DUmb, I think this image is from you, do you confirm this ?
Nice job, what a scenery, just look at this sky !! It makes it more magic when you think its all about volumetric clouds, no skybox.

Yes it's me ^^

1/10 troll effort.

lol sure but at the same time some comments are driven to crime
I think the problem, in FH2 (outside the car reflection on the road) is that it rains on the road and not next .. it's very strange

jaypah

Damn LostDonkey, those are some dope shots! The Crew is the most surprising and I own that game lol. Granted I haven't really played with the settings much.

Edit: Ditto rakanishu, great shots ^^

LostDonkey

Damn LostDonkey, those are some dope shots! The Crew is the most surprising and I own that game lol. Granted I haven't really played with the settings much.

Thanks. The Crew is a very good game for taking screens. It's very under rated IMO..

dr guildo

Agree about theCrew, for the first time, I found screenshots from this game surprisingly convincing, Good job LostDonkey !

dr guildo

Yup. Need more PC.

2016-10-0510dwszf.png

2016-10-0518os9x.png

2016-09-2460sshj.png

2016-10-0736zs6y.png

2016-10-081oesmx.png

Doesn't even have to be pouring down for it to look good...

One thing that is for sure, FH3 doesn't look for photorealism. When you compare it to the latest pics of DC from few previous pages, it's quite obvious, it's not like comparing a cartoon and a movie, but almost that.

rakanishu

Banned
One thing that is for sure, FH3 doesn't look for photorealism. When you compare it to the latest pics of DC from few previous pages, it's quite obvious, it's not like comparing a cartoon and a movie, but almost that.

But then again, FH3 doesn't look like a jaggy blurry mess while you actually play the game. The only time DC looks good in gamplay is when you smear the windshield or lense with rain, so it doesn't come through as clearly.

Your favourism is getting really obvious. There's a ton of cloudy, darker, more greytoned lighting effects in FH3 if you actually play it and prefer that. The colours really look bright in midday Australia under a blue sky, yes, but then again I would expect it too. Playing the game sees you driving in rain, sun, night, fog etc. all making the game and colours look very different in those conditions

dr guildo

Viewed on a phone and as thumbnails some of these are absolutely gorgeous.

Viewed at 1080p....some of these are nice lighting wise, but just awful texture/asset wise.

Low....low res textures all over the place. I sometimes wonder what people are looking at (or what they're viewing shots on)

giphy.gif

I'd have made a ton by now normally, but I've had basically ZERO time to play since it came out :'(

Please just show me a racer that can bear the comparison in texture variety and density on off-road or on-road mere objects.

So The Crew looks favourable while Forza "is *almost* like comparing a cartoon and a movie"?

You're not being subtle enough anymore, it's pretty obvious now.

shandy706

fhx1064dsvw.png

fhx103rtsqc.png

fhx1014ms60.png

fhx1073gsoc.png

Please just show me a racer that can bear the comparison in texture variety and density on off-road or on-road mere objects.

LOL...seriously?

You do realize in the .gif you quoted you can take a right at that intersection the car passes, drive across the water, into a neighborhood of hundreds of houses you see across there in the .gif, then take a ramp down to the beach, go down the beach, back up onto the road that's 200 yards away, turn onto the hill in the distance that you can see, then drive up the mountain to a creek and a waterfall over there....density, "mere objects"..really?

Some random shots..

A ship wreck off the ocean
fhx102wmsik.png

Couple crocodiles hanging out..
fhx1056esl5.png

fhx104ijsav.png

dr guildo

Your favourism is getting really obvious. There's a ton of cloudy, dark more greytoned lighting effects in FH3 if you actually play it and prefer that. The colours really look bright in midday Australia under a blue sky, yes, but then again I would expect it too. Playing the game sees you driving in rain, sun, night, fog etc. all making the game and colours look very different in those conditions

Just dealing with what people feed the thread, nothing more, I have no agenda, at first I was even thinking that FH3 was the new king when I saw it in the screenshot console thread, but now it's quite obvious that all media people are sharing about this game are photomode based, or drone mode based, but never in game based (gameplay situation). why ? Because the lighting is not as convincing as during extra cam modes.

The only pics that is the closer from photorealism is that one :
yn1f9EN.png

And you will notice that a scene hasn't to be composed of "cloudy, dark more greytoned lighting effects" to re-use your expression, to be photorealistic. It just have to render the color in the most proper manner to mimic real life. Real life is colorful, not only flashy.

jaypah

No no, I was just emphasising that I was going as fast as I could ;)

Lol no I meant without breaks, as in without stopping. Wait. Ok, did you pause the game or the recording at any point to take a break or did you drive around for an hour and a half straight?

Just dealing with what people feed the thread, nothing more, I have no agenda, at first I was even thinking that FH3 was the new king when I saw it in the screenshot console thread, but now it's quite obvious that all media people are sharing about this game are photomode based, or drone mode based, but never in game based (gameplay situation). why ? Because the lighting is not as convincing as during extra cam modes.

yn1f9EN.png

And you will notice that a scene hasn't to be composed of "cloudy, dark more greytoned lighting effects" to re-use your expression, to be photorealistic. It just have to render the color in the most proper manner to mimic real life. Real life is colorful, not flashy.

Just. Play. The. Game.

Please, for the love of gas pedals people, don't make up your mind only looking at screenshots or videos alone. And definitely don't let a console brand colour your choice or hinder your library from including fantastic games.

rakanishu

Banned

yn1f9EN.png

And you will notice that a scene hasn't to be composed of "cloudy, dark more greytoned lighting effects" to re-use your expression, to be photorealistic. It just have to render the color in the most proper manner to mimic real life. Real life is colorful, not flashy.

That is what it looks like in-game. It's just the lighting in the photo is different because the weather is overcast. Just as in all of the DC screenshots. Seems like you've never been in the sun at a car meet. I like flashy paintjobs, and that's why I paint my cars in flashy colours. That's why they look "flashy" to you apparently. There is nothing different going on with the screens I posted, and the one you posted.

rakanishu

Banned
Lol no I meant without breaks, as in without stopping. Wait. Ok, did you pause the game or the recording at any point to take a break or did you drive around for an hour and a half straight?

Sorry, I'm a moron :p Yeah, I did. It's all one recording, in one sitting.

dr guildo

I never said you preferred The Crew, or even compared the two, but you said a shot of the former looked "convincing" while you persistently rag on Forza for not looking good enough.

100% of TheCrew shots I have seen, in this thread, or in screenshots thread are complete opposite of photorealism and show an ugly game... Now LastDonkey came with a new batch that are for once convincing compared to what I used to watch, simply that.

Top Bottom