• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Don't worry, I'm not in that console wars, no time for this, and too old for this bullshit, I'm only here to give credit to dev who deserve it when it comes to accomplished work, and in this area, Evo is just unbeaten. This is simple, this is the very first time I can't find something to add in an imaginary sequel of the game :

Photorealism ? done
-Heathaze ? done
-No more skybox, True sky ? done
-Tarmac that never repeat itself ? done
-Leaves and dirt on the road ? done
-Reallife overcast system ? done
-windshield and window reflection in cockpit view ? done
-Perfect cars modeling ? done
-Amazing level of detail everywhere ? done
-Constellations accurate to real night sky with Nasa's DATA ? done
-Northern lights to see if all conditions are reunited ? done
-Resolution NASA data used to accurately map landscapes and mountain formations ? done
-Reallife draw distance ? done
-Global illumination ? done
-All environmental light sources independently generated with different properties ? done
-over 100 different varieties of trees, bushes, mosses and flowers ? done
-Self reflection body applied on cars ? done
-Materials accuratly rendered (carbon) ? done
-Unprecedented sense of speed ? done
-Moblur of quality ? done
-Superb views (cockpit, winshield, bonnet) ? done

Quite frankly, I don't think a dev will put more features in a racer than EVO, Those people are crazy when it comes to the attention to the detail...
You're avoiding the fact of just playing the game then making your own little fan list of things you like in DC....oookay? Maybe tone the almost fanatical DC comments down a notch?

My question was rethoric, of course you are not driving (your car), so it's not gameplay, it's a free cam. Warning, I'm not telling that drone mode is not real time, you have to be a noob in graphics to say that, all I say is that people choose drone mode and photomode over gameplay shots for a reason.
And now we're entering conspiracy levels FH3 sceptism, nice work.

Must be so much work to avoid a certain game, series or console platform I wonder why people don't just play the games for how awesome they are rather than spend time hating on something.

This detail is insane. No idea what it's called, but that "cutoff" of the brighter light into the softer light, I assume it's from the reflectors? I see it a lot in real life and this looks just like it.

gQoNKj.png

dr guildo

You're avoiding the fact of just playing the game then making your own little fan list of things you like in DC....oookay? Maybe tone the almost fanatical DC comments down a notch?

And now we're entering conspiracy levels FH3 sceptism, nice work.

Must be so much work to avoid a certain game, series or console platform I wonder why people don't just play the games for how awesome they are rather than spend time hating on something.

Stop with this platform war, I owned all consoles, even those you don't even know they existed, so please, carry that shit somewhere else, and let's discuss about facts DC/FH3 do or don't do.

Synth

The diff is quite huge !

Look, I'm not looking to make this about "platform war" or whatever... but you're definitely showing a kinda crazy amount of reverence for everything Driveclub. I haven't seen you once bemoan the constant barrage of Driveclub photomode shots in this thread (even bringing downsized shots from elsewhere), yet you complain about Forza Horiizon 3's drone mode.

dr guildo

Look, I'm not looking to make this about "platform war" or whatever... but you're definitely showing a kinda crazy amount of reverence for everything Driveclub. I haven't seen you once bemoan the constant barrage of Driveclub photomode shots in this thread (even bringing downsized shots from elsewhere), yet you complain about Forza Horiizon 3's drone mode.

No, you don't understand why DC is so praised. Maybe, thanks to this thread, you will get why everybody bow in front of what Evo has accomplished.
For me DC raised the bar so why, that I don't see a game beating him during this gen.
The graphical and physical features are endless. DC deserves all the respect he gets, trust me, there is no exaggeration in the manner the players place the game above all.
This is simply the truth, no fanboysm, when I see something jawdropping, trust me, whatever is the platform where it's running, I give credits where it's due, WiiU, XboxOne, PS4, if the job is astonishing, no way I will stay quiet.

dr guildo

It was edited, I saw that too.

Look dr guido, look at this ugly cartoony piece of shit.
iGEqXO.png

Goddamn hideous, right?

I never said that FH3 was ugly, the game is a looker, only a blind could tell otherwise. What I say is that nowadays, I get barely impressed by games which don't target photorealism. Every random dev can do lighting that is not accurate to real life, only a few can create lighting who mimics reality with a fidelity that you must look twice before knowing its a videogame. PD and EVO are the only ones who reached that case according to me.
Again, this gen is not about how far we are from Gen7, but how close we are from reality. Graphics are getting serious now. We have grown up for many, and graphics have to become mature too.

Edit : your shot is fantastic btw.it touches photorealism for sure !

Synth

No, you don't understand why DC is so praised. Maybe, thanks to this thread, you will get why everybody bow in front of what Evo has accomplished.
For me DC raised the bar so why, that I don't see a game beating him during this gen.
The graphical and physical features are endless. DC deserves all the respect he gets, trust me, there is no exaggeration in the manner the players place the game above all.
This is simply the truth, no fanboysm, when I see something jawdropping, trust me, whatever is the platform where it's running, I give credits where it's due, WiiU, XboxOne, PS4, if the job is astonishing, no way I will stay quiet.

Ok.... none of that really has to do with what I just posted though (re: photomode).

I personally think photomode shots, have no business being in a thread like this whatsoever really (for any game). What I'm addressing though is the different way you're receiving them. Your comments regarding photomode shot in DC are pretty much all some variation of "omg, wow, amazing, so photoreal", whilst FH3's shots are met with "that's a drone, that ain't gameplay... I wonder why...", etc.

Jamesways

Well, finally a GREAT game in this thread.

...and a terrible one too. :p
Lol at the pCARS comment.

I'm so posting WRC6 and Ride2 shots on here later. ;p. Then we'll talk good
average
games!

Looks like Auto Modellista, lol!

kiddin!

I want a new Auto Modellista. Fak u, Crapcom ;_;
Oh man next gen Auto Modellista would be amazing.

This detail is insane. No idea what it's called, but that "cutoff" of the brighter light into the softer light, I assume it's from the reflectors? I see it a lot in real life and this looks just like it.

gQoNKj.png
Fantastic shot showing lighting tech. This kind of stuff really makes you stop and gawk in games. I love that devs work on details like this, it's so convincing.

Look dr guido, look at this ugly cartoony piece of shit.
iGEqXO.png

Goddamn hideous, right?
That shot is awesome! Seriously. What a great looking game.
I mean, you know, for a typical forza cartoon that is.

I'm going to take some DC bikes and Ride 2 onboard comparison shots soon. Milestone boosted the graphics nicely. Lighting isn't close to DC though, but it's much better.

dr guildo

Ok.... none of that really has to do with what I just posted though (re: photomode).

Your comments regarding photomode shot in DC are pretty much all some variation of "omg, wow, amazing, so photoreal", whilst FH3's shots are met with "that's a drone, that ain't gameplay... I wonder why...", etc.

Because it is unfair to expect gameplay shots (driving) from DC while the rules is not respected for FH3.
Many genuine gameplay shots (no trickery with any cam) were posted earlier by DC defenders. the counterpart was very shy in that exercise.

DD

Lol at the pCARS comment.

I'm so posting WRC6 and Ride2 shots on here later. ;p. Then we'll talk good
average
games!
I'm interested!

Probably won't buy, tho :p

Oh man next gen Auto Modellista would be amazing.
Right?! Man, Auto Modellista was a terrible, TERRIBLE game! Yet, everyone who gave it a chance kind of fell in love with it. The gameplay was awful, the career was bad, but the mood of that game was just incredible! The cell shaded graphics, the soundtrack, the garage... My God, just imagine that game properly done using today's standards!

One can ignore a Driveclub or a Forza shot thinking that it's real life stull, but you cannot ignore how fuckin' cool this looks:

F*ck, I write Automobilista every time because of that other racing game

Many genuine gameplay shots (no trickery with any cam) were posted earlier by DC defenders. the counterpart was very shy in that exercise.

Except for the part where drone mode (gameplay) and replay (gameplay) and gameplay (gameplay) gifs and shots have been in this thread since FH3 came out?

Synth

Because it is unfair to expect gameplay shots (driving) from DC while the rules is not respected for FH3.

This is just bullshit tbh, and you can simply return to prior pages to see.

The drone mode is realtime gameplay. You can be in drone mode whilst 11 of your friends are driving around online with you. It's simply an angle change, similar to choosing different views, or panning the camera around the car. It is the game's graphics. Let's be clear that even during standard gameplay, differing angles affect the appearance of either game, and the angles for each game aren't equivalent. Forza doesn't have a dashboard camera like Driveclub does, but nobody's going to be all "nope, not applicable, get that shit out". The only time the comparisons become legitimately fucked is when photomode shots are used, as if it represents what the game actually looks like... and the "Driveclub defenders" have been far more reliant on that. Basically only Unreal previously, and then you recently posted in-game Driveclub material.

Photomode shots make this sort of thing a bit silly, as the game can be loaded up with all sorts of expensive tech, that would then incur a hit in other areas (texture filtering, aliasing and even resolution in some cases), and then the photomode simply waves all that away magically, whereas a game that opted to focus on a better image during actual gameplay would have obviously made sacrifices that the typical photomode enhancements won't add back. If you were being consistent with your stance here, then I wouldn't have said anything about it... but instead you've championed damn near every photomode post, and even brought even less representative downsized shots to the thread, whilst pointing the finger at people posting Forza Horizon 3 shots for supposedly hiding behind a 100% real-time, online playable mode in the game.

cooldawn

They do get the lighting right...for people who aren't insane. The game looks phenomenal.
Ha, good one.

Truth is they got it right years ago. FH3 is just the current peak of it.

Unless you're trying to say this isn't getting it "right"?
w2PsAXL.png
They do? I've yet to see it. Unless you are referring specifically to Forza Horizon 3 and not Turn 10. I'll eat my hat if Forza Horizon 3 uses the same lighting engine because Playground Games' output is far, far better than Turn 10's.

Does anyone give a damn about the minuscule difference when playing the game or taking photos?

In the same light, does anyone give a damn about the Mini AI cars in Forza Horizon 3 have square headlights? I watched a walk-through of Forza Horizon 3 yesterday, 14 parts in total, not once did I think 'OMG, that AI car doesn't have smooth headlights'.

I think we are getting a little too childish in here now. There's nothing about Forza Horizon 3 or Driveclub that suggests they are anything but remarkable to look at and good fun to play.

Forza 6 Apex

v05QZAd.png

Sc5qcwt.png

I2VYvrx.png
There's no need to go completely the other way. These are horrid.

100% of TheCrew shots I have seen, in this thread, or in screenshots thread are complete opposite of photorealism and show an ugly game... Now LastDonkey came with a new batch that are for once convincing compared to what I used to watch, simply that.
They still aren't that good though. The Crew, although technically lack, looks phenomenal lots of the time. The Mountain State, The North and places like Yosemite can be stunning with the right time of day and lighting.

another little comparison DC / FH3 "photomode"

FH

1476202766-screenshot-original-7.png

DC

1476202781-driveclub-tm-20161011180754.png
I can't wait to see Gran Turismo Sport's new vehicle models. It's going to be murder.

dr guildo

Ok, now that I posted enough gameplay shots, time to post some gif with the courtesy of Sunhilegend who makes wonder in this area :

VrWRRuG.gif

HVfmKJV.gif

Patrick S.

Banned
Drone mode doesn't do that for me. I guess because of PC. It uses the same car model no matter what.

That's when you set "car world detail" to ultra. You get additional details, like dashboard details and illumination visible in exterior view, heating wires in the rear wiondow, etc.

chinoXL

i gotta admit FH3 looks damn good....i have driveclub and project cars for PC and all look good to me. its a good time to be a racer fan!

Jamesways

My god that bikes gif. So so good.
MotoGP and Ride feel great, but the arcadiness of DC I feel like I'm actually carving the road, exemplified perfectly by that gif.
I need to try out The Crew Wild Run sometime.

valkyre

FH3 looks astonishing really and the improvement over FH2 is immense.

But that level of realism in DC is unmached. The real skies and GI alone create some unbelievably realistic images. Sunsets and sunrises coupled with all sorts of cloud formations and weather effects are incredibly impressive. It is truly the most photorealistic game IMO, regardless of genre even. Thats not to say that it is flawless, it could very well benefit from a better AA solution. But other than that + a few more nitpicking stuff, I cant but consider it still the most impressive package overall.

The diff is quite huge !

Ok, now that I posted enough gameplay shots, time to post some gif with the courtesy of Sunhilegend who makes wonder in this area :

VrWRRuG.gif

HVfmKJV.gif

FH3 looks astonishing really and the improvement over FH2 is immense.

But that level of realism in DC is unmached. The real skies and GI alone create some unbelievably realistic images. Sunsets and sunrises coupled with all sorts of cloud formations and weather effects are incredibly impressive. It is truly the most photorealistic game IMO, regardless of genre even. Thats not to say that it is flawless, it could very well benefit from a better AA solution. But other than that + a few more nitpicking stuff, I cant but consider it still the most impressive package overall.

God we need a PS4Pro patch for this game :((((( ... Sony plzzzzz!

DD

I didn't know it was okay to post PC pics here. Incarnating Jamesways a bit, some of my F1 2016 shots. These are downsampled, all max, except for motion blur, which is turned off because it sux. :3

BouncyFrag

Love this thread. I've been mostly playing FH3 but will get into DC soon as I finally figured out how amazing Spotify is with it.

Sebmugi

Nice automodelista shoot <3

The difference is kind of big because they aren't comparing the most detailed model from each game.

FH3 doesn't swap in a different model when you take a picture in photo mode.

2016-10-11uojkt.png

2016-10-11122pzn.png

lol in-game 3D model Driveclub is as detailed as the inert sculpture mode forzavista ;)
and yes one xboxone there is indeed a 3D model for the game and another for photo mode

Proof by picture ^^

drone mode
1476250965-screenshot-original-6.png

photomode
1476250974-screenshot-original-25.png

lol in-game 3D model Driveclub is as detailed as the inert sculpture mode forzavista ;)
and yes one xboxone there is indeed a 3D model for the game and another for photo mode

Proof by picture ^^

drone mode

photomode

Then you're just comparing photo modes for both, no?

Synth

I'm not trying to be rude, but that looks terrible.

Exactly what I was about to say. These are precisely the sorts of situations that paint Driveclub in a negative light. That first bike race particularly shows a complete lack of defined details, with wet clay looking rock formations, and a road that looks like it was passed through the N64's texture filter.

It's the kinda of comparison that I don't think comes off well compared to Forza Horizon 2, let alone Horizon 3. These are the sorts of image quality compromises that often don't come across when looking at heavily compressed YouTube footage, or tiny gifs, as in those cases the finer details are eliminated across the board, leaving your brain to fill in the gaps.. but they're readily apparent during actual gameplay.

The second video is by and large not as bad, but then it also is mostly under weather conditions. The fly by at the beginning though, is simply nasty... and pretty much is making my case for when I tell dr guildo that making Driveclub open world viable would require quite a bit more than simply freeing the player from the track. If you even begin to look at Driveclub from the wrong angle, everything goes to shit, and this often occurs from viewpoints that Evo had full control over.

Comparatively, if you take the drone (or just drive there I guess) to look out over expanses of scenery in Horizon 3, it'll generally just handle it, because as a game designed around an open world, it's actually designed to assume that you may look at pretty much everything from pretty much any viewpoint.

rakanishu

Banned

Proof by picture ^^

drone mode

photomode

Driveclub is not even close to the same model in details, the same way as FH3 XB1. Plenty of people have posted pictures and videos of this. Stop marginalizing the flaws of DC, and maximizing any small problem you find with FH3. It makes you look like your username. I haven't mentioned Xbox One once, so I don't see why you bring it up? I haven't played that version, and I don't care about that version because I play games at proper resolution and frame rates.

Top Bottom