• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Hux1ey

Banned
I've actually been avoiding that deliberately for exactly that reason. These days, I can simply opt to play pretty much everything on PC... but I'd be unable to run most things at 144fps regardless, so I'd rather not get used to it at all for now, lol.

Ha ignorance is bliss sometimes yea, but I took the plunge and ordered an Acer XB271HU, should be here tomorrow.

Gestault

woooooooooooooooooooops

Great TOD and world materials there. I am curious how they do the sky.

It looks like traditional still, wide-angle photography, with a luminosity layer for reflections/highlights. That would be my guess anyway. It's not dynamic in the Horizon/Driveclub sense, but the skybox "casts" down nicely. The specular glints on more reflective surfaces are particularly convincing.

That's what I'm saying, rain drops are ok in that first gif closer to the windshield and cam, the issue was never rain drops, but when they try to simulate the puddle a few feet ahead in that first gif, the puddle looks just as static...

The second gif shows it even more clearly, it looks very static and it's certainly not 3D as Turn 10 said it would be, hydroplaning may be ok at high speeds in the title, but the accuracy of how everything looks and behave is not ideal. The puddles look much more like a solid form of water on approach or in the distance as opposed to a liquefied property that's changing form at the behest of various elements (wind, rain drops etc..)...

Perhaps if you have the original vid of this gif, I'd like to take a look.

You cant make it out great but the drops are running down hill. The level drops spread out, but the angled ones flow down.

And as far as the 3d puddles, it might not look like a full flowing body of water but they act like it when it comes to the physics. FM6 is the only game that handles hydroplaning accurately.

Sebmugi

Some little GIF with sand effects on willows spring after the last update

170508071258406674.gif

170508071152595620.gif

170508071241675911.gif

Gestault

Pre-calculated reflection maps. They have not yet made new ones from the updated map.

We have another gif without that building showing up (both are recent captures), so it looks like it was a glitch on my session rather than an old reflection map. I had assumed it was just an old version of the track, too.

Other than Forza do tires flex and stretch under stress in gt?

Every sim and most not-sim games have physical tire-flex, just not visual deformation. And I'd rather have a good physical model and no visual, than an awesome visual, but shit feel on the physical.

[does Forza really have visual flex though?]

Space_nut

Every sim and most not-sim games have physical tire-flex, just not visual deformation. And I'd rather have a good physical model and no visual, than an awesome visual, but shit feel on the physical.

[does Forza really have visual flex though?]

Yup ever since Forza 4

They have visual and a very sophisticated tire physics system

Some little GIF with sand effects on willows spring after the last update

170508071258406674.gif
I wish they would use Opacity maps or perhaps froxel volumes (frostbite style) to let those particles cast shadows as well. I think they probably could though for release though since IIRC, GT4 (i forget the series number) was one of the first games to have shadow maps cast on particles.

That's what I'm saying, rain drops are ok in that first gif closer to the windshield and cam, the issue was never rain drops, but when they try to simulate the puddle a few feet ahead in that first gif, the puddle looks just as static...

The second gif shows it even more clearly, it looks very static and it's certainly not 3D as Turn 10 said it would be, hydroplaning may be ok at high speeds in the title, but the accuracy of how everything looks and behave is not ideal. The puddles look much more like a solid form of water on approach or in the distance as opposed to a liquefied property that's changing form at the behest of various elements (wind, rain drops etc..)...

Perhaps if you have the original vid of this gif, I'd like to take a look.
How about this: Just play the excellent game yourself and check, or is it on plastic box with the wrong brand name on it?

Stillmatic

Must be a glitch.

D0rlpUJ.gif

The trees you circled shouldnt be the ones in the horizon.

Due to the angle of the inclined plane it should reflect the trees behind the car

Yeah it looks like a glitch or possibly something funky going on in Apex from bringing over the XB1 version.

But yeah on your other point, that's not how reflections work. It is impossible for a puddle to reflect what is behind you unless the puddle is completely vertical. If it is on an incline, it might still get some of the horizon, depending on the angle, otherwise it will be all sky, not ever behind you.

Yeah it looks like a glitch or possibly something funky going on in Apex from bringing over the XB1 version.

But yeah on your other point, that's not how reflections work. It is impossible for a puddle to reflect what is behind you unless the puddle is completely vertical. If it is on an incline, it might still get some of the horizon, depending on the angle, otherwise it will be all sky, not ever behind you.

I tested on Apex earlier, that mystery building isn't there for me and the reflection is accurate.

Seems very strange to me, maybe it's an old gif where the glitch wasn't fixed or something?

Stillmatic

I tested on Apex earlier, that mystery building isn't there for me and the reflection is accurate.

Seems very strange to me, maybe it's an old gif where the glitch wasn't fixed or something?

Yeah really odd, but good it just seems to be a glitch.

The Mysterious Ghost Building, I seen it!

Gestault

It was from within the last two days, from me personally, lol. I'm positive it was a glitch.

Horizon 3 from earlier tonight:

Nightfall

What bothers me here is that none of the headlights of the other cars seem to create a real light source. There's some kind of light texture floating in front of them, but they don't illuminate anything.

It looks like a floodlight against some fireflys.

Sebmugi

What bothers me here is that none of the headlights of the other cars seem to create a real light source. There's some kind of light texture floating in front of them, but they don't illuminate anything.

I agree ;) there is always something wrong if you're looking for a bit .. no game is perfect ^^
I will see how driveclub is doing with this

It looks like a floodlight against some fireflys.

forzatech is a forward renderer. adding light sources is expensive.

I agree ;) there is always something wrong if you're looking for a bit .. no game is perfect ^^
I will see how driveclub is doing with this

Driveclub headlights work as intended and cast shadows, someone posted a good video of a car overtaking and then the players cars lights making it cast a shadow on the wall. Will see if I can find it, was a long time ago. But for lighting/weather DC is going to be tough to top.

They could probably just add it as a body kit for Forza as they already have the base car.

AFAIK GT has never had body kit options, I didn't really play 6.

lanciarbxql.jpg

Is it finally time to get with the times? :p

if they went deferred you could kiss the msaa good bye tho

Hux1ey

Banned
if they went deferred you could kiss the msaa good bye tho

Eh I use MSAA in plenty of deferred rendered games such as Pcars, just takes a bit more juice.

Plus with downsampling and SMAA you can get the image pretty dang clean without introducing any blur.

Eh I use MSAA in plenty of deferred rendered games such as Pcars, just takes a bit more juice.

Plus with downsampling and SMAA you can get the image pretty dang clean without introducing any blur.

xbone wouldnt have been able to run with deferred msaa. and theres no shot it would be added if not usable on xbone

No one is saying it's not doable, but it's not doable with current console hardware when Turn10 focus on a locked 60

Top Bottom