• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

The lighting on Blizzard Mountain is actually nicer than the main game tbh, looks very realistic at times.

h1lqacq.png

Pro I assume?

Damn, don't make me buy the expansion, please xD

That's the first time Horizon has made say wow (and I play it at 5k xD).

Hux1ey

Banned
There is no difference, beta has not PS4 Pro support.

That's the standard PS4 IQ? Looks much better than earlier shots in the thread, maybe because it's PNG.

Impressive.

Damn, don't make me buy the expansion, please xD

That's the first time Horizon has made say wow (and I play it at 5k xD).

The expansion is really awesome, especially if you're a fan of rallying! It is pricey though.

Mauddib

Banned
Guess we oughta start labeling all the games despite most of us are familiar with which is which. :p

aasdap.gif

kzrdvn.gif

The game doesn't really look like this at all when you're playing though. Whoever is in charge of the GT replays is working with an increidbly talented team, but this isn't what you as a player will be experiencing for like 99% of the time you're playing GT:S.

This is what the game actually looks like during gameplay

X7lit6j.jpg

5GjYhsR.jpg

This looks just about as good as Forza 6 tbh.

benzy

The game doesn't really look like this at all when you're playing though. Whoever is in charge of the GT replays is working with an increidbly talented team, but this isn't what you as a player will be experiencing for like 99% of the time you're playing GT:S.

rFPjKyW.jpg

5GjYhsR.jpg

I've posted direct-feed gameplay pics. Outside of motion blur replay graphics are the same as gameplay.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=236047123&postcount=9643

dnyvdl.png

xxqhzl.png

X7lit6j.jpg

5GjYhsR.jpg

This looks just about as good as Forza 6 tbh.

you have an entire thread full of native res gameplay shots, but you decide to go take some 720p screengrabs from twitch/youtube. you are smart

EBreda

Blizzard Mountain does look highly impressive.

GTS continues the GT trend of being gif friendly - specially during replays. Gameplay cameras look much less impressive.

Gearless

Neo Member
lol frame locks. playground cant even get forza horizon 3 to run at 60 fps on the fastest pcs money can buy. i dont think you want to go this route. polyphony digital is honestly flat out better when it comes to tech.

While that's true, FH3 is their first game that ever released on PC and it was clearly made with XB1 pre-sets in mind. Still, it's no excuse.

Though, if we look at P Digital's last gen efforts, I wouldn't be so optimistic about a locked 60FPS in GTS (I know that it's still in beta). You can add whatever fancy things you want, but if your game don't a have near flawless frame-lock, it's just not as good.

Thankfully, this is a graphics thread where GTS and DriveClub shines.

While that's true, FH3 is their first game that ever released on PC and it was clearly made with XB1 pre-sets in mind. Still, it's no excuse.

Though, if we look at P Digital's last gen efforts, I wouldn't be so optimistic about a locked 60FPS in GTS (I know that it's still in beta). You can add whatever fancy things you want, but if your game don't a have near flawless frame-lock, it's just not as good.

i doubt PD would ever fail to achieve a locked 60 fps given a 5 ghz, 8 thread intel cpu. or a 4.5 ghz, 16 thread intel cpu

I'm really not sure where the comments about the framerate in GTS are coming from as pretty much no one in the beta has complained about it. The screen tearing that was in the early builds, as well as in GT5/6, is completely gone and the only time i've noticed any slowdown is right at the beginning of a replay.

Putty

I'm really not sure where the comments about the framerate in GTS are coming from as pretty much no one in the beta has complained about it. The screen tearing that was in the early builds, as well as in GT5/6, is completely gone and the only time i've noticed any slowdown is right at the beginning of a replay.
Yes...Framerate during gameplay is flawless. Replays are a different matter...

Gearless

Neo Member
i doubt PD would ever fail to achieve a locked 60 fps given a 5 ghz, 8 thread intel cpu. or a 4.5 ghz, 16 thread intel cpu

I really do hope so because last generation they were on the most powerful console at the time and still failed to achieve locked 60FPS. They brought dynamic weather and time into the frame but at what cost?

Final product will tell us if P Digital have learnt from their mistakes. Saying that the beta has none of their last generation problems isn't a guarantee that we won't see a new problem in GTS.

I'm sure that GTS will be enjoyable just like Prologue, 5 and 6.

Dizzan

MINI Member
This was my first car racing video game.

Le_Mans_v1.png

So the arguments about which one looks better now makes me laugh.

Basically, they all look unreal and are so close to photorealism that it's not really about how they look anyomore that is important but how they react (collisions, water on road etc).

TBiddy

This thread is depressing. Apparantly it's impossible to applaud the game that isn't on your console of choice.

"GTS? No, it looks shit and runs at like 15 FPS!"
"FH3? Hahah. Can't even run at 60 FPS AND it looks like last gen!"

Synth

lol frame locks. playground cant even get forza horizon 3 to run at 60 fps on the fastest pcs money can buy. i dont think you want to go this route. polyphony digital is honestly flat out better when it comes to tech.

This route?

Sorry, but this is just stupid. The Forza Horizon 3 PC port is problematic at higher framerates, but the game (and its version of the engine) is quite clearly tailored for the XB1 console, and a target framerate of 30fps, which it achieves consistently. Polyphony probably would have Gran Turismo running at a locked 60 on high-end PCs, much like Turn 10 has with FM6 Apex... but that's a completely different matter, because those games are already targeting 60fps on their main lead platforms... and unlike Polyphony neither Turn 10 or Playground Games have a history of falling well short of that framerate target, despite having a fixed specification to develop against, and all the time in the world to actually develop the game.

In the absence of a PC port for FH3 existing, there would be zero reason to consider that there would be any performance issues from Playground, based on their console output... so there's definitely no reasons to be so sure Polyphony wouldn't run into problems when developing against unknown configurations, considering they've had performance issues in the past when the specifications were entirely static.

History. Only ever seen one video showing Forza MotorSport 'locked' at 60fps (from another thread just under a year ago). Even then it was, what, a couple of minutes or so. Not conclusive by any means.

History? Seen one video? Wtf?

Have you actually ever played a Forza Motorsport game? History says that if it's not 60fps locked 100% of the time, then it will be 99.5% of the time. Even when the original game was running at 30fps on OG Xbox, that was a locked 30fps (much like the current Horizon games). Gran Turismo has historically been all over the shop in regards to holding a steady 60fps, but with Forza Motorsport is should just be assumed at this point.

Final product will tell us if P Digital have learnt from their mistakes. Saying that the beta has none of their last generation problems isn't a guarantee that we won't see a new problem in GTS.

I'm sure that GTS will be enjoyable just like Prologue, 5 and 6.

For sure we won't know until it's finally released, but as of now it doesn't have those issues. In fact when its first gameplay reveal had all of them. Tearing, framerate drops, weird effects (like fence flicker on the Ring), but in the beta they're all gone. It's like a completely different game compared to where it was when they did the gameplay reveal last year. I actually think it suffered from all of those issues up until the PSX build. Because I remember people complaining about those same issues in the gamescom build.

Things could obviously change between now and the final build, but as of now it seems like they've taken the performance complaints to heart.

Sebmugi

The business resumes in this thread but it is always very blurry to determine who is wrong and who is right .. It really depends on what aspect of the game one speaks I suppose..

Sebmugi

If I would do a ranking:

Light / lighting: GTS/FH3/DC/F6
modeling : GTS/FH3-F6/DC
shaders : DC/GTS/FH3/F6
Sky - with volumetric clouds : DC ;)
Sky - With skybox : FH3/GTS/F6
textures : All the games in contention make beautiful things so no rankings
Aspect of climatic conditions : DC/FH3/F6/GTS?
Reflections in general Car and environments : DC/F6-FH3/GTS

I forget for sure but it is already my basis ;)

leeh

Just going to chime in among the bickering to express how far racing games have come these days.

I recently did the Formula 3000 experience in Yas Marina, and I was amazed at realistic and pin-point accurate the tracks are now on games. I was assigned to my own instructor during the experience due to leaving the pack behind, and how the track felt with the braking points, where to turn-in and just the overall feel was so close to the game it was unreal (FM6 is my sim of choice).

To all, if you ever find yourself in Dubai/Abu Dhabi, do the Formula 3000 experience, it was a unforgettable experience. Just too bad I lost the dashcam video because I was hitting apex's which knocked the usb stick out.

GenericUser

These Comparison Shots are borderline ridiculous. But in a good way, keep em coming. Can't believe devs model the BACKSEATS of a car in a racing game. I mean, that must be the least important item (visually) in a racing game.

Putty

If I would do a ranking:

Light / lighting: GTS/FH3/DC/F6
modeling : GTS/FH3-F6/DC
shaders : DC/GTS/FH3/F6
Sky - with volumetric clouds : DC ;)
Sky - With skybox : FH3/GTS/F6
textures : All the games in contention make beautiful things so no rankings
Aspect of climatic conditions : DC/FH3/F6/GTS?
Reflections in general Car and environments : DC/F6-FH3/GTS

I forget for sure but it is already my basis ;)

You know what, you won't hear me complain. The only caveat on that is we are awaiting GT:S weather bits...

Lighting and modelling, PD are second to none. Everything else is up for debate. I think GTS could do better with textures in the cockpit.

PC at 4K completely maxed out.

Rock solid 30fps with a 1060 too! Shame the game performs like shit above 30fps.

Damn, no wonder its so clean and crisp.

It's been a bit forgotten since it's no longer on its yearly release cycle, but there has been some news on NFS 2017. It's going to have day/night cycles as well as weather. The day/night cycles is particularly notable as I know quite a few people who didn't like that the reboot took place entirely at night. I'm really hoping for something that's overall closer to the Hot Pursuit reboot in terms of visuals. Hot Pursuit is still a gorgeous game to this day. It kinda reminded me of a more realistic take on Outrun from a visual standpoint.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
hes not even worth a response. hes the one who has a magic xbone that doesnt suffer from any of the input latency its been proven to have
I know its him & statham that really only the ones that seem so blatant yet everyone just puts up with it

drotahorror

This was my first car racing video game.

Le_Mans_v1.png

So the arguments about which one looks better now makes me laugh.

Basically, they all look unreal and are so close to photorealism that it's not really about how they look anyomore that is important but how they react (collisions, water on road etc).

This is a comparison thread. If it's too funny to you, you're free to move on.

The lighting on Blizzard Mountain is actually nicer than the main game tbh, looks very realistic at times.

h1lqacq.png

Now I really want this. Tomorrow might be a good time to pick up the expansion pass. I don't think the base game is very good so I couldn't justify it. The hot wheels expansion looks sick and the blizzard mountain looks fun.

Fess

This is a comparison thread. If it's too funny to you, you're free to move on.

Now I really want this. Tomorrow might be a good time to pick up the expansion pass. I don't think the base game is very good so I couldn't justify it. The hot wheels expansion looks sick and the blizzard mountain looks fun.
The base game is awesome, best arcade racer in years imo, but if you just want the Blizzard Mountain you shoukd know that you need to play quite a few races before you unlock it even after buying it. It's the third festival area so you need to play the base game to that point before you get access to BM. Hot Wheels is probably unlocked in a similar way.

It's been a bit forgotten since it's no longer on its yearly release cycle, but there has been some news on NFS 2017. It's going to have day/night cycles as well as weather. The day/night cycles is particularly notable as I know quite a few people who didn't like that the reboot took place entirely at night. I'm really hoping for something that's overall closer to the Hot Pursuit reboot in terms of visuals. Hot Pursuit is still a gorgeous game to this day. It kinda reminded me of a more realistic take on Outrun from a visual standpoint.

NFS2015 still has the most amazing cityscapes at night imo, it's just the way they've made the lighting and lightsources look. Amazing work.

Top Bottom