• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

phil_t98

#SonyToo
FH4 looks great but not a realistic comparison against GTS due to the available 4k 30hz/1080p 60hz modes. If FH4 attempted 4k at 60hz the story would be different, same as if GTS allowed a 30hz mode.

The assets in FH4 are really good but you either need to take a 50% frame drop to get them at 4k or take a permanent locked 1080p to take it at 60. Personally I would have preferred they dedicated themselves to either 4k or 60hz as it's a tough choice to compromise going either way.

The reason its dropped to 30hz mode is because its a full open world game where you can drive anywhere, the fact it has a 60hz mode is unreal to when you think what the game is. They have worked miracles on this game

Inviusx

The reason its dropped to 30hz mode is because its a full open world game where you can drive anywhere, the fact it has a 60hz mode is unreal to when you think what the game is. They have worked miracles on this game

Absolutely it looks fantastic, completely different game to GTS/F7 though.

Darkdeus

FH4 looks really nice!

Here's some Assetto Corsa Competizione gameplay screen from 4k. The game was quite playable at 4k on my rig. GTX 1080, 4670K.

44614351972_fcb1d68f9b_k.jpg

43944995034_7dc0f66018_k.jpg

43754566775_44dc4d13a7_k.jpg

44614356892_4051191a85_k.jpg

44614354202_08ab5907b7_k.jpg

43754572805_5d4fe43d7c_k.jpg

44663776331_89dd32a542_k.jpg

43754563545_163f2a43c2_k.jpg

44614355452_177486b3db_k.jpg

43754576355_bb481bd0fb_k.jpg

44663792851_0bbcc44a3f_k.jpg

43754574575_ebfa3b3c4b_h.jpg

Last edited:

Stuart360

Woah you managed to hit 4k with a 1080 on the new Arsetto Corsa?, i was hitting 99% gpu usage at 1080p at times on my heavily overclocked 980ti, weird.
Its also not a very good looking game imo, your screens make it look better than it is.

Last edited:

Darkdeus

Woah you managed to hit 4k with a 1080 on the new Arsetto Corsa?, i was hitting 99% gpu usage at 1080p at times on my heavily overclocked 980ti, weird.
Its also not a very good looking game imo, your screens make it look better than it is.

Yea I was at 40 fps or so. I would turn it down to 1800p 60fps for anything more than casual play though. Yea at 1080p the game is a blurry soft mess but I think it cleans up nicely. The rain effects are a WIP apparently.

Stuart360

Yea I was at 40 fps or so. I would turn it down to 1800p 60fps for anything more than casual play though. Yea at 1080p the game is a blurry soft mess but I think it cleans up nicely. The rain effects are a WIP apparently.
Oh right, i thought you meant at 60fps. Were you running max settings?

Perfection, thy name is GT:Sport... I hesitantly acknowledge all other non-Sony video games and products but from my lofty perspective, they exist in an inferior plane of existence...

The Polyphony Staff were genetically engineered and conceived to lifelong Sony employees who signed a blood pact to never buy a Microsoft console... I don't play Microsoft exclusive games... I am made aware of Xbox visuals by watching YouTube clips on my Nokia phone (which I think they were recently bought out by Sony)...

Forza and Forza Horizon games are horrendous and make my eyes hurt, especially when you zoom in 20X at "4K" resolution... Xbox does not have true "4K"! (notice they don't spell out 4000 but put in "K" to trick you)... I need to wear my PSVR afterwards when I'm forced to look at Forza screenshots in this thread... By cranking up the PSVR diopter and interpupillary adjustments, this fixes my Sony vision....... Do you guys even have any high quality vids to post of Forza 7 or vs vids? Preferably many cars on screen in-game......Keep this on topic guys... My retirement portfolio is 100% Sony stock (ticker SNE)...

Just wait guys, GT7 on PS5 should blow eye + ear sockets out of your head. Literally. I'm going to be the first human to simultaneously lose my sense of sight and sound when I boot up GT7 in 7 years.... As I said before, the debate on GTS vs Forza was over a long time ago, I don't need to repeat myself... it's clear which wins as affirmed by many outlets... Driveclub is also way better than Xbox... just a hair under GTS...too bad Evo Studios and my friend Rushy got shut down... But if I find out that any former Evo programmer is now working for Bill Gates at Microsoft, then Driveclub simply sucks...no doubt.....

I'll have the last word now by saying this: The only thing F7 wins on is weather by default, only because GT does not have it yet... don't worry my Sony faithful, GT will be open world with seasons, seamless multiplayer, 8K resolution with 240 fps on base PS4 (PS4 Pro users will enjoy 16k, lucky you)... GT does not have it yet, but I trust in Polyphony and Sony... I shudder to think of what GT7 will do to me.... that's why I have my Aibo Sony dog to comfort me.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Perfection, thy name is GT:Sport... I hesitantly acknowledge all other non-Sony video games and products but from my lofty perspective, they exist in an inferior plane of existence...

The Polyphony Staff were genetically engineered and conceived to lifelong Sony employees who signed a blood pact to never buy a Microsoft console... I don't play Microsoft exclusive games... I am made aware of Xbox visuals by watching YouTube clips on my Nokia phone (which I think they were recently bought out by Sony)...

Forza and Forza Horizon games are horrendous and make my eyes hurt, especially when you zoom in 20X at "4K" resolution... Xbox does not have true "4K"! (notice they don't spell out 4000 but put in "K" to trick you)... I need to wear my PSVR afterwards when I'm forced to look at Forza screenshots in this thread... By cranking up the PSVR diopter and interpupillary adjustments, this fixes my Sony vision....... Do you guys even have any high quality vids to post of Forza 7 or vs vids? Preferably many cars on screen in-game......Keep this on topic guys... My retirement portfolio is 100% Sony stock (ticker SNE)...

Just wait guys, GT7 on PS5 should blow eye + ear sockets out of your head. Literally. I'm going to be the first human to simultaneously lose my sense of sight and sound when I boot up GT7 in 7 years.... As I said before, the debate on GTS vs Forza was over a long time ago, I don't need to repeat myself... it's clear which wins as affirmed by many outlets... Driveclub is also way better than Xbox... just a hair under GTS...too bad Evo Studios and my friend Rushy got shut down... But if I find out that any former Evo programmer is now working for Bill Gates at Microsoft, then Driveclub simply sucks...no doubt.....

I'll have the last word now by saying this: The only thing F7 wins on is weather by default, only because GT does not have it yet... don't worry my Sony faithful, GT will be open world with seasons, seamless multiplayer, 8K resolution with 240 fps on base PS4 (PS4 Pro users will enjoy 16k, lucky you)... GT does not have it yet, but I trust in Polyphony and Sony... I shudder to think of what GT7 will do to me.... that's why I have my Aibo Sony dog to comfort me.

Forza doesn't have 4K? I think you just posted the biggest load of tosh my friend, GT sport does look good But it has its problems, Forza Horizon 4 is unreal in terms of looks and frame rate , No idea if your post was sarcasm or what

Last edited:

AKbizzy

Neo Member
Cartoon lighting it's new gold standard. it's ONRUSH ?
"GOLD FUCKING STANDARD LIGHTING" poor trolls
YPBhNzW.jpg

Forza fans have already forgotten about the wretched FM7, and praise the FH4.

Played 5 minutes on my work pc at 1080/Ultra. few things i noticed:

- environment detail looks awesome
- still no TAA which is fucking annoying. IQ on 1080 2MSAA = horrid. had to activate fxaa. a bit better but still bad and much blurier.
- nightime lighting still looks off
- good cpu usage and threading

will test on vega later this weekend.

Last edited:

Magik85

Seriously that foliage in FH4 is something else. Really beautyfully modelled and selfshadowed.
GTS isnt even close of being in the same league.

Hage Kamo

Cartoon lighting it's new gold standard. it's ONRUSH ?
"GOLD FUCKING STANDARD LIGHTING" poor trolls
YPBhNzW.jpg

Forza fans have already forgotten about the wretched FM7, and praise the FH4.

The tragic thing is that it does not rain, it does not move, the sky of a piece of painting

FM7
24cars
z8hcK2P.jpg
TVNHiDY.jpg

GTS 
Only one car...
27674995097_57061877f5_o.png

Gingen

Banned
Seriously that foliage in FH4 is something else. Really beautyfully modelled and selfshadowed.
GTS isnt even close of being in the same league.

GTS is a totally different kind of game... way more focused on realistic physics and to achieve a double framerate compared to forza horizon in quality mode (on a less powerful console)... FM7 that is the same kind of game has only 2D (horrible) trees

despite this you can find excellent grass even in GTS in some points of the tracks

1509727992-2017110317a6i0w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hage Kamo

GTS is a totally different kind of game... way more focused on realistic physics and to achieve a double framerate compared to forza horizon in quality mode (on a less powerful console)... FM7 that is the same kind of game has only 2D (horrible) trees

despite this you can find excellent grass even in GTS in some points of the tracks

Show the screen shot there in the UI display. Scapes and fraud photo mode is conventional means of GTS

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
1080p 60fps on one X (6 TF), aracade physics
29703416117_efd3b5f653_o.png

1800p 60fps on PRO (4 TF), sim physics (1 year ago game)
03346vcpo.png

:messenger_beaming:

I tell you what then, make it more fair, Why don't you compare a the best looking open world racer on PS4 against a basic Xbox One (1.31 TF). So i'd say The Crew 2 v Forza Horizon 4 or any other open world racer you can think of on PS4.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
People forgot FH4 is on pc too, the frame rate and resolution will be always higher than anything on PS. You can do 4K 60fps so why are people still saying GTS is 60 wil FH4 is 30 or its 1080p vs 1800p. This game is the best looking racing game ever, the foliage, lighting, weather, car model, shaders, textures, reflections, shadows, image quality, frame rate, draw distance, particles and world details are all A+++. GTS, Drivelcub, Forza 7 and PCars 2 have nothing against this. Played all of them for hours on the strongest platforms. They all have something over each other (some more than others) but FH4 does almost everything better than all of them, wich is crazy cuz its open world.

Rogas

Banned
When all else fails, just post screens of a game at the lowest graphical preset to make it look as ugly as the game you're defending. Gran Turismo fans need to ease up on the salt.

This thread was the exact opposite when GAF was in its glory days. People were shitting on Forza so badly and this thread became a glorified DriveClub/Gran Turismo jerkfest. Embarrassing.

Last edited:
Holy shit this thread is getting salty.

AC Competizione looks amazing, as you'd expect from any decently budgeted game built in UE4. Does anyone know if the UE4 TAA can be turned off in ACC? Because that's the only real flaw I've noticed with the game from footage, just the horrible ghosting and blurring of any refractive (raindrops) or reflective (wet roads) surfaces.

Magik85

Partially true...
But then again there are games like Project Cars 2. A game with massively more realistic physics, more cars on track, dynamic time of day and weather (including fully dynamic drying line), seasons and so on....things that GTS dont have. And yet they managed to make nice grass and replace most of 2D trees with fully modelled ones with selfshadowing.

projectcars2_20180602xpcza.png

projectcars2_201802274of4w.png

projectcars2_2017122108dw5.png

projectcars2_20180227kgddy.png

Bliman

Banned

Stop with this. GT doesn't have realistic physics because it isn't simulating much. And isn't in the sim market. Just like Forza isn't a sim. And why do you always keep telling about a less powerful console. Isn't this the next gen graphics thread? Why does it matter how powerful the console is? If that is the case then why not take games from the megadrive and such?

Bliman

Banned
I played the Forza Horizon 4 demo today and it was really great.
But what I really didn't like was the rims of the tires it was so obvious that they change at a certain speed.
And it breaks the immersion.
And the lighting is still not as good as the best like GT.

Partially true...
But then again there are games like Project Cars 2. A game with massively more realistic physics, more cars on track, dynamic time of day and weather (including fully dynamic drying line), seasons and so on....things that GTS dont have. And yet they managed to make nice grass and replace most of 2D trees with fully modelled ones with selfshadowing.

Also don't forget there is full VR support on Project Cars 2 and not just one on one racing either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom