• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Forza Horizon 4. Playground Games is working their magic again.

Locked 60fps in 1080p mode or locked 30 in 4k mode on Xbox One X. Most boring framerate test ever.

Check out the dynamic shadows at 3:20. They have a performance/quality graphics quality screen shot later in the video, too.

There are rumors of a demo soon.

The way the foliage looks and reacts with the car is amazing and the lighting looks incredible, you can see some nice GI in that Ford video. Just 16 day left before i got my hand on this game.

Forza Horizon 4 looks incredible, so does this,

Assetto Corsa Competizione
Yeah ACC is shaping up really well, its probably gonna be the best looking sim out there.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Forza Horizon 4 PC Ultra 1080p( can't downsample right now :( )
gameplay
44591774612_40b0fa2b94_o.png

43732365935_dd323792f4_o.png

30771634758_acdc9f481e_o.png

29703394647_4df3fde9df_o.png

29703416117_efd3b5f653_o.png

photomode
29703350797_21d823e75e_o.png

43732319355_a4ef59a9d2_o.png

Rogas

Banned
Yeah, Forza Horizon 4 takes the crown. DriveClub is still stuck at 1080p/30fps with terrible image quality (Sony why don't you make a pro patch!?) and GT: Sport looks fantastic but it's kind of inconsistent especially gameplay versus replays.

Forza Horizon 4 is way more consistent, has better environmental detail, equally impressive lighting and superb IQ.

I feel the same way when I see some of the more foliage-heavy pics.

i think most of it comes from them finally getting the lighting right.

does anybody know if they acquired some talent from Evolution Studios?

anyways, im hyped. seems like there is a demo live now on xbox and Windows 10 store.

Gingen

Banned
Yeah, Forza Horizon 4 takes the crown. DriveClub is still stuck at 1080p/30fps with terrible image quality (Sony why don't you make a pro patch!?) and GT: Sport looks fantastic but it's kind of inconsistent especially gameplay versus replays.

Forza Horizon 4 is way more consistent, has better environmental detail, equally impressive lighting and superb IQ.

1080p 60fps on one X (6 TF), aracade physics

1800p 60fps on PRO (4 TF), sim physics (1 year ago game)
03346vcpo.png

:messenger_beaming:

Rogas

Banned

03346vcpo.png

It's nice that you're proving my point, thanks for that.

Whilst FH4 still looks better, GT: Sport sure looks nice in screens then once you start driving around, you'll see how ugly it can get. Why don't you zoom into the environment or show us the "beautiful" rally tracks?

Gingen

Banned
It's nice that you're proving my point, thanks for that.

Whilst FH4 still looks better, GT: Sport sure looks nice in screens then once you start driving around, you'll see how ugly it can get. Why don't you zoom into the environment or show us the "beautiful" rally tracks?

GT sport looks tons better in movement than on screenshot.... and the rally tracks looks very good for a 1800p 60 fps game with sim physics on a 4TF console :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogas

Banned
GT sport looks tons better in movement than on screenshot.... and the rally tracks looks very good for a 1800p 60 fps game with sim physics on a 4TF console :)

But it doesn't look better than FH4, which is the point of this thread. It puzzles me that the people who pointed out Forza's cartoony lighting for years are angry that FH4's lighting is the gold standard now lol.

Last edited:

Gingen

Banned
But it doesn't look better than FH4, which is the point of this thread. It puzzles me that the people who pointed out Forza's cartoony lighting for years are angry that FH4's lighting is the gold standard now lol.

FH4 lighting is still cartoony

au usual cherry picking images from GT... you are very booring

well, don't forget it is a 30fps vs a 60fps title … well at least if you don't count the 1080p/60fps mode, but than the resolution is lower again.

this

cypherq

Neo Member
FH4 looks absolutely glorious... 1080p@60fps looks fantastic on the X.

Given that FH4 is an open world racer makes it even more impressive... especially next to circuit bound racers like GT:S.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
played the Demo today and am impressed and tried both modes on my X, cars feel a bit sluggish to turn compared to FH3 but maybe its just because I aint played it for a while. best looking driving game I have played personal and the change in seasons will add to it so much graphically to

Gingen

Banned
You seem angry.

I am very calm, but I noticed that someone get very angry if you mention that GTS on a less powerful console has a way higher resolution in "performance mode", and double framerate in "quality mode".... :messenger_winking_tongue:

That sir is going through salty peanut butter and jelly period atm..I would to if I only had GT at my disposal.

Sadly I don't like this kind of "free roaming super arcade" racing games... so I'm not salty at all

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very calm, but I noticed that someone get very angry if you mention that that GTS on a less powerful console has a way higher resolution in "performance mode", and double framerate in "quality mode".... :messenger_winking_tongue:

Sadly I don't like this kind of "free roaming super arcade" racing games... so I'm not salty at all

Oh of course your don't. Let me guess, you like Driveclub and Motorstorm though.

This game is also rock solid, the engine is stable 30 or 60 and native 4k if you choose. Plus it can handle more players online and is open world. Glad you are impressed as well.

thelastword

Banned

03346vcpo.png

The lighting and shadows in GTS is impeccable, perfect lighting for that time of day and under the heavy canopy, just superb work done really...

Dirt track vs Road, but still what is immediately noticeable is the superior lighting and shadows in the top pic, the better draw distance especially how much high level detail is resolved way into the mountains. AF on GT is also pretty good and texture detail aces......I shudder to think what PD will do with a higher end GPU, CPU and memory if this is what we're getting from a PS4 base of 1.6Ghz, 4.5GB of memory and a 7870.....The only upside on PRO being a higher resolution, better framerate on replays and more MB at 1080p.......That base game on vanilla PS4 sure is something to get all those dynamic shadows, better cubemaps for reflections, better lighting and general detail going.....and did I hear PD had some raytracing in there as well??? By the gods....

It's why I say, and thanks for the link @Driver86 (on the outsourcing), that PD would do good to put GT7 on PS5 day 1 in 2020.....

The lighting and shadows in GTS is impeccable, perfect lighting for that time of day and under the heavy canopy, just superb work done really...

Dirt track vs Road, but still what is immediately noticeable is the superior lighting and shadows in the top pic, the better draw distance especially how much high level detail is resolved way into the mountains. AF on GT is also pretty good and texture detail aces......I shudder to think what PD will do with a higher end GPU, CPU and memory if this is what we're getting from a PS4 base of 1.6Ghz, 4.5GB of memory and a 7870.....The only upside on PRO being a higher resolution, better framerate on replays and more MB at 1080p.......That base game on vanilla PS4 sure is something to get all those dynamic shadows, better cubemaps for reflections, better lighting and general detail going.....and did I hear PD had some raytracing in there as well??? By the gods....

It's why I say, and thanks for the link @Driver86 (on the outsourcing), that PD would do good to put GT7 on PS5 day 1 in 2020.....
Never change.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

how are the shadows better? they are fuzzy

Calibos

At face value, GTS and Horizon aren't really comparable. Fully open world with seasons and always online roaming puts Horizon in a different genre...That being said, GTS doesn't have anything on FH 4...It just doesn't.

Stuart360

Slightly off topic but anyone else think 'TheLastWord' is just a joke account, kind of a living meme?. It would explain how he hasn't been banned yet for his constant fanboy trolling, he certainly wouldnt of lasted 2 hours under the old Neogaf lol.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Slightly off topic but anyone else think 'TheLastWord' is just a joke account, kind of a living meme?. It would explain how he hasn't been banned yet for his constant fanboy trolling, he certainly wouldnt of lasted 2 hours under the old Neogaf lol.

agreed and anything positive on the Xbox side is alway met with negative news or some kind of fanboyisim but it entertains. Forza Horizon 4 is shaping up to be one of if not the best racer this gen

Turk1993

Came back to see the reactions, saw these 2 trolls still denying that FH4 looking better than GTS. They even post images that shows clearly that FH4 looking better in almost every aspect. This game has no competition this gen, you guys need to deal with it. Anyway here are some more gameplay shots
44612487782_a297b0fcb7_o.png

29724218427_c774e3b44e_o.png

29724315487_ef6531db2a_o.png

30791715058_83555010c2_o.png

44612478052_c23bb03247_o.png

30791720678_9b765ecbf6_o.png

BigLee74

Dirt track vs Road, but still what is immediately noticeable is the superior lighting and shadows in the top pic, the better draw distance especially how much high level detail is resolved way into the mountains.

Wrong, there is nothing superior about the GTS pic. What's particularly awful about that pic are the square looking trees (at least I think they're meant to be trees) to the right of the arch a few hundred metres down the road. Shockingly poor.

I'm guessing you're in a bad place right now, because there is no way you can position any PS4 racing game over FH4 without sounding even more ridiculous than you have for the past year. And that's saying something.

Can't wait to see you try though, always a laugh.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Came back to see the reactions, saw these 2 trolls still denying that FH4 looking better than GTS. They even post images that shows clearly that FH4 looking better in almost every aspect. This game has no competition this gen, you guys need to deal with it. Anyway here are some more gameplay shots

Just looks better and better dont it

Ma goodness Lord have Mercy...these shots are @#$% breathtaking..good job sir!

He's gotten their attention. He's just now back after a week forced vacation. Knew this was going to be his first target. Lol.

Those Horizon pics with the purple and yellow fields are really amazing. Seems every aspect of the game has improved, which was beautiful to begin with in FH3.

Inviusx

FH4 looks great but not a realistic comparison against GTS due to the available 4k 30hz/1080p 60hz modes. If FH4 attempted 4k at 60hz the story would be different, same as if GTS allowed a 30hz mode.

The assets in FH4 are really good but you either need to take a 50% frame drop to get them at 4k or take a permanent locked 1080p to take it at 60. Personally I would have preferred they dedicated themselves to either 4k or 60hz as it's a tough choice to compromise going either way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom