• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Vtecomega

Banned
GTS - ingame - PRO

granturismosport_2018xrftk.png

granturismosport_2018rvcr4.png

granturismosport_2018tnf75.png

granturismosport_20182aekk.png

granturismosport_20185tdfs.png

1080P or 4k mode?

Gingen

Banned
I think GT6 gives a greater sense of speed tho.

the frame drops kills the sense of speed in GT6

It definitely does. The way the car shakes and bobbles around adds to the presence on track that GT sport just has never had. Cars feel to detached from the road surface.

La sarthe road surface has been repaved few years ago so it's not that bumpy anymore, the GT6 version was scanned for GT4 on PS2 when the road surface was much more bumpy

Last edited by a moderator:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
the frame drops kills the sense of speed in GT6

La sarthe road surface has been repaved few years ago so it's not that bumpy anymore, the GT6 version was scanned for GT4 on PS2 when the road surface was much more bumpy
Forza 7 in car starts from approx 2 mins also GTS same section of track also starts around 2 mins. Forza 7 has greater sence of speed for me

Last edited:

Three

Forza 7 in car starts from approx 2 mins also GTS same section of track also starts around 2 mins. Forza 7 has greater sence of speed for me

The in car view has a greater sense of speed because of the shaking camera/windscreen wiper mostly, just makes it feel like it's going fast though as a car enthusiast it highlights yet another inaccuracy in Forza 7. The 787B windscreen wiper always stops dead centre since it reduces drag and improves aerodynamic balance. They built that car with a great emphasis on aerodynamics (for back in the day anyway). The wiper doesn't stop where Forza places it.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
The in car view has a greater sense of speed because of the shaking camera/windscreen wiper mostly, just makes it feel like it's going fast though as a car enthusiast it highlights yet another inaccuracy in Forza 7. The 787B windscreen wiper always stops dead centre since it reduces drag and improves aerodynamic balance. They built that car with a great emphasis on aerodynamics (for back in the day anyway). The wiper doesn't stop where Forza places it.

maxresdefault.jpg
There are few examples that it does, i think its adjustable. When they modeled the car the wipers where probably in that position.
This one is from Wikipedia
Mazda_787B.JPG

And this one from a Japanese museum
aj4i8283.jpg

And this one is from Pinterest
2fb686f2b445e86a322d1675890d0726.jpg

But its weird anyway, it should be in the middle when its on the race track.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

maxresdefault.jpg
In other views it still looks as if your more connected to the road going faster, that is the idea if your going 200 mph plus. GTS looks like your going on a Sunday drive in comparison and too floaty. Also Gt6 doesn't have shaking wipers and that looks faster too.

Last edited:

Three

There are few examples that it does, i think its adjustable. When they modeled the car the wipers where probably in that position.
This one is from Wikipedia
And this one from a Japanese museum
And this one is from Pinterest
But its weird anyway, it should be in the middle when its on the race track.

They are not adjustable, I know this for a fact. Those have likely been manually moved in the exhibits but when the car is on the windscreen wipers are in the centre position. A google video/image search will show that it is always in the centre position. In fact it was one of the earlier cars that did this and most LeMans cars now have center positioned windscreen wipers even cars that have standard road versions.

tal0417ju14.jpg

mazda_100350227_l.jpg

lemans-24-hours-of-le-mans-2015-77-dempsey-proton-competition-porsche-911-rsr-patrick-demp.jpg

Somebody may have moved the wiper there when they modelled the car but really if they follow the sport at all they should have known that's not where it should be. My guess is that they stuck it in the drivers face and made it shake for dramatic effect.
In other views it still looks as if your more connected to the road going faster, that is the idea if your going 200 mph plus. GTS looks like your going on a Sunday drive in comparison and too floaty. Also Gt6 doesn't have shaking wipers and that looks faster too.
I think both GT6 and GTSport have physics based shaking wipers on the 787B. Only a guess though since they had it in GT4 but so subtle that you had to concentrate to see it. GT6 has shaky cam too that's why it looks fast. There is a way to adjust camera sensitivity in GT Sport that may make the camera follow the shaking of the car more but haven't tried it on max. Might check it when I get home tonight.

Last edited:
Somebody may have moved the wiper there when they modelled the car but really if they follow the sport at all they should have known that's not where it should be. My guess is that they stuck it in the drivers face and made it shake for dramatic effect.

Small correction on this one. The 787B has been in Forza since FM4, long before it had physics/movement on car parts. If you look at it in FM4 it has the wiper in the correct position:
maxresdefault.jpg

After a little googling, I've now learned that for some reason it was missing the wiper entirely in FM5, but the more relevant part is FM6, when the wiper returned in its current position:
maxresdefault.jpg

The actual reason behind its position is simply a limitation in the game where wipers can't move beyond their starting position - they always move from resting -> max rotation -> resting, and movement like centre -> left -> centre -> right -> centre isn't supported. The reason it's portrayed correctly in FM4 is because that game had no weather so naturally there was no need to make the wipers move. This is why it was only an issue from FM6 and beyond as the game now has weather, and it applies to every car with a centre-resting wiper, such as Le Mans cars, Koenigseggs, etc. As far as I know they're shown correctly in Forzavista mode where there's no animation to the wipers.

Fun fact: if you look at the FM4 pic above, you can see one of its own limitations in that every wheel on the car had to use the same model, which wasn't fixed until FM5. The 787B happens to be a good car to show this because of its front and rear wheels being so different.

Last edited:

Three

Small correction on this one. The 787B has been in Forza since FM4, long before it had physics/movement on car parts. If you look at it in FM4 it has the wiper in the correct position:
maxresdefault.jpg

After a little googling, I've now learned that for some reason it was missing the wiper entirely in FM5, but the more relevant part is FM6, when the wiper returned in its current position:
maxresdefault.jpg

The actual reason behind its position is simply a limitation in the game where wipers can't move beyond their starting position - they always move from resting -> max rotation -> resting, and movement like centre -> left -> centre -> right -> centre isn't supported. The reason it's portrayed correctly in FM4 is because that game had no weather so naturally there was no need to make the wipers move. This is why it was only an issue from FM6 and beyond as the game now has weather, and it applies to every car with a centre-resting wiper, such as Le Mans cars, Koenigseggs, etc. As far as I know they're shown correctly in Forzavista mode where there's no animation to the wipers.

Fun fact: if you look at the FM4 pic above, you can see one of its own limitations in that every wheel on the car had to use the same model, which wasn't fixed until FM5. The 787B happens to be a good car to show this because of its front and rear wheels being so different.

Nice find. I remember the wheel limitation in forza too because one of my all time favourite cars (the F40) suffered from that inaccuracy too.

The actual reason behind its position is simply a limitation in the game where wipers can't move beyond their starting position - they always move from resting -> max rotation -> resting, and movement like centre -> left -> centre -> right -> centre isn't supported.
This is again an odd limitation. Can't they just make it loop past its previous position for that animation? GT5/6 has had correct wipers for these cars so it's not like there is a technical reason not to have it. I need to check how wipers that aren't simple rotations behave in forza.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
They are not adjustable, I know this for a fact. Those have likely been manually moved in the exhibits but when the car is on the windscreen wipers are in the centre position. A google video/image search will show that it is always in the centre position. In fact it was one of the earlier cars that did this and most LeMans cars now have center positioned windscreen wipers even cars that have standard road versions.

tal0417ju14.jpg

mazda_100350227_l.jpg

lemans-24-hours-of-le-mans-2015-77-dempsey-proton-competition-porsche-911-rsr-patrick-demp.jpg

I think both GT6 and GTSport have physics based shaking wipers on the 787B. Only a guess though since they had it in GT4 but so subtle that you had to concentrate to see it. GT6 has shaky cam too that's why it looks fast. There is a way to adjust camera sensitivity in GT Sport that may make the camera follow the shaking of the car more but haven't tried it on max. Might check it when I get home tonight.
Never knew about adjusting camera for shake on GTS, i'll give that a whirl myself. Cheers.(y)

Gingen

Banned
Why are you fabricating with the image of Standard XBOX ONE? lol

Sorry you're right, the real version of FM7 on Xbox one must remain hidden, otherwise people can see how terrible it is .... we can only post PC maxed out images of FM7, while for GTS only cherry picking images from PS4 standard or PRO strictly in 1080p mode

thelastword

Banned
Sorry you're right, the real version of FM7 on Xbox one must remain hidden, otherwise people can see how terrible it is .... we can only post PC maxed out images of FM7, while for GTS only cherry picking images from PS4 standard or PRO strictly in 1080p mode
Money!

So of course we could all try to get some bad screens, but what's the point. Yet here, actual problems with guys running TITAN X Pascal GPU's and beefy PC's.....and no JPG nonsense here either. Actual beefy rigs at max still have issues with lod. I've already seen some bad lod issues on Forza, so it's no doubt there would be issues with lod switching on consoles too, right in front of your face, as MAX settings on PC still does not solve the issue in every scenario..

WXmPeYn.png

sgnq3uues2nz.png

Still, for the posters trying to supersample the hell out of this game, they never say what rig they're using. For all we know, they're running this at 200% resolution scaling and getting 38-40fps or even lower, we don't know, but that's one thing with PC, you can take a screen at the highest rez with any shitty card and just post screens, nobody knows if it runs well or not....In any case, the screens above are at max settings on PC, no framerate issues, just lod issues....and like some folk trying to get the crappiest JPG's they can get (from even standard PS4) to compare supersampled Forza shots in the name of IQ, we all know what's up with that. It's a pity GTS does not have a PC version, but even then, it doesn't need it, because Forza 7 at max PC quality have been proven to look and render several leagues worse than GTS on a PRO......"And to think Turn 10 said they built this game ground up for PC"...More marketing without delivery....

https://www.gtplanet.net/forza-motorsport-7-built-ground-pc/

Last edited:
Money!

So of course we could all try to get some bad screens, but what's the point. Yet here, actual problems with guys running TITAN X Pascal GPU's and beefy PC's.....and no JPG nonsense here either. Actual beefy rigs at max still have issues with lod. I've already seen some bad lod issues on Forza, so it's no doubt there would be issues with lod switching on consoles too, right in front of your face, as MAX settings on PC still does not solve the issue in every scenario..

Still, for the posters trying to supersample the hell out of this game, they never say what rig they're using. For all we know, they're running this at 200% resolution scaling and getting 38-40fps or even lower, we don't know, but that's one thing with PC, you can take a screen at the highest rez with any shitty card and just post screens, nobody knows if it runs well or not....In any case, the screens above are at max settings on PC, no framerate issues, just lod issues....and like some folk trying to get the crappiest JPG's they can get (from even standard PS4) to compare supersampled Forza shots in the name of IQ, we all know what's up with that. It's a pity GTS does not have a PC version, but even then, it doesn't need it, because Forza 7 at max PC quality have been proven to look and render several leagues worse than GTS on a PRO......"And to think Turn 10 said they built this game ground up for PC"...More marketing without delivery....

Complaining about cherry picking then proceeds to show an extremely zoomed in shot with barely discernible details + a picture of what isn't a graphical flaw but rather a glitch. Pretty typical...

And just for the record, my machine has an i7 6700k, GTX980Ti, and 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 memory. I run FM7 at 4k using Nvidia DSR, also using 2xMSAA, and the image quality is flawless. At that resolution with max settings I average about 65FPS with peaks of about 80.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Money!

WXmPeYn.png

sgnq3uues2nz.png

Still looks better than GTS weather :p

Turk1993

These 2 are hopeless. They get so low that they are at a point where they believe there own troll posts. One post pixelated images to show car model and the other post ai cars and livery on a standard Xbox One to show that its better in GTS. And he doesn't want PC version to be compared in a comparison thread. This is just sad.

LostDonkey

6700k 1070 16gb Ddr4. A middle of the park rig really compared to some.

I run Forza 4k HDR with the Dynamic render quality on Ultra and I never drop below 60fps. Game looks fantastic too.

I Run GTS on a Ps4 Pro on the same TV that the PC is hooked up to in 4k mode.

Forza definitely looks better.

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
GTS - ingame - PRO

granturismosport_2018xrftk.png

granturismosport_2018rvcr4.png

granturismosport_2018tnf75.png

granturismosport_20182aekk.png

granturismosport_20185tdfs.png

I am very impressed how much PS4 can handle - these shots look better then any PC racing game I played (including Project CARS 2).
Specily the enviro looks amazing.

Can someone explain me how PS4 (PRO only?) can handle it while on PC with much more computing power we are behind that quality?
I know that closed system can provide much beeter optimization for software but still it is mindbothering to me.

Anyway, GTS and previously Drive Club are probably the best looking racing games to date - and I am saying that as a 100% PC gamer.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I am very impressed how much PS4 can handle - these shots look better then any PC racing game I played (including Project CARS 2).

Can someone explain me how PS4 (PRO only?) can handle it while on PC with much more computing power we are behind that quality?
I know that closed system can provide much beeter optimization for software but still it is mindbothering to me.

Anyway, GTS and previously Drive Club are probably the best looking racing games to date - and I am saying that as a 100% PC gamer.
Just post pictures with a low setting or low rising sun, makes everything look better than it really is.

keraj37

Just post pictures with a low setting or low rising sun, makes everything look better than it really is.

Thanks but I don't buy it. Besides, screenshots I saw regarding GTS were crisp as my last month onions. Unless you refer to ingame graphics settings?

Turk1993

Did you play Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 3 maxed out on pc? like the the dubai track in Forza 7 or the outback in Forza horizon 3 when the sun is low or at the beach. Forza horizon 3 has far more detailed environments compared to any racing game right now, and Forza 7 outside its ugly 2d trees has the most detailed environment in a sim. But still those GTS shots look great anyway, when the ligthing is that good it blends well with the environment.

keraj37

Did you play Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 3 maxed out on pc? like the the dubai track in Forza 7 or the outback in Forza horizon 3 when the sun is low or at the beach. Forza horizon 3 has far more detailed environments compared to any racing game right now, and Forza 7 outside its ugly 2d trees has the most detailed environment in a sim. But still those GTS shots look great anyway, when the ligthing is that good it blends well with the environment.

No I wasn't - I was focusing on PC2 and since it has so much content I wasn't bothering myself with other titles (except AC for diffrent reasons).
However all shots I saw of Forza 7 and Forca H. 3 didn't impress me much.
And I was playing PC2 totally maxed out on my GTX1080. Of course PC2 looks amazing especily with latest patches but GTS somehow gave me better impresion.

Turk1993

No I wasn't - I was focusing on PC2 and since it has so much content I wasn't bothering myself with other titles (except AC for diffrent reasons).
However all shots I saw of Forza 7 and Forca H. 3 didn't impress me much.
And I was playing PC2 totally maxed out on my GTX1080. Of course PC2 looks amazing especily with latest patches but GTS somehow gave me better impresion.
They both look amazing you should try it or just wait for Forza Horizon 4. Here some in game shots of the dubai environment in Forza 7
42051112025_6bc870aff0_o.png

28732713508_2dae68924e_o.png

28732702488_0225bd4228_o.png

The other fantasy tracks looks incredible too like Prague, Rio, Alps... They put alot of detail in those.

thelastword

Banned
From Cedec 2018 - Polyphony keynote

33bifw1.png

trcti9f.gif

PS5?
Great, remember also, this can also look on another level with the new Sony 10000 nit TV....with HDR (at 8k) as GTS already supports 10000 nits.

So yes, I think we may get a remaster of Sport for PS5.......Yet I think PD needs to do something better, something they've never done. Launch GT7 with PS5, Full campaign, next gen graphics with sport-mode as MP. That's easily GT back into 90+ meta and sales will probably eclipse any GT so far......Just bring back everything GT already had/has.....(dynamic tod, dynamic weather, dynamic shadows) etc...

Great, remember also, this can also look on another level with the new Sony 10000 nit TV....with HDR (at 8k) as GTS already supports 10000 nits.

So yes, I think we may get a remaster of Sport for PS5.......Yet I think PD needs to do something better, something they've never done. Launch GT7 with PS5, Full campaign, next gen graphics with sport-mode as MP. That's easily GT back into 90+ meta and sales will probably eclipse any GT so far......Just bring back everything GT already had/has.....(dynamic tod, dynamic weather, dynamic shadows) etc...

Easily back in the 90+ Meta? That hasn't happened since 2001 and GT3. I'm afraid they need a new visionary at Polyphony Digital because they seem to waste a lot of time. It would be nice to have GT7 at launch on the PS5 but that will only happen if the PS5 comes out in 2021. Knowing them they will have GT7 Prologue in 2020 and then in 2022 we will get a full GT7.

Gingen

Banned
Easily back in the 90+ Meta? That hasn't happened since 2001 and GT3. I'm afraid they need a new visionary at Polyphony Digital because they seem to waste a lot of time. It would be nice to have GT7 at launch on the PS5 but that will only happen if the PS5 comes out in 2021. Knowing them they will have GT7 Prologue in 2020 and then in 2022 we will get a full GT7.

Launch GT7 with PS5 is possible because they are outsourcing a lot of work for the first time in GT history

From this interwiew www.polyphony.co.jp/people/1206/

(google translate) Work called XDM

Soon after becoming an employee, I was given the position of XDM (External Development Manager). Polyphony Digital is a group of artisans, artists and engineers, and the system to make everything inside the company was continued, but as the work of each and every one continues to increase, we will consider the outsourcing and we are in the position of doing that management.

Since there was no culture of outsourcing, I started from finding a partner. Since there was no acquaintance in the CG industry, I was looking for candidates while receiving support from other XDMs and engineers. Since it is not permitted to lower the quality, I nervously appreciate the ease of communication as well as the previous production system and whether this request will be accurately reflected. Now we are finding a company that we can trust and we have started a mass production system.

ShapeGSX

Forza Horizon 4. Playground Games is working their magic again.

Locked 60fps in 1080p mode or locked 30 in 4k mode on Xbox One X. Most boring framerate test ever.

Check out the dynamic shadows at 3:20. They have a performance/quality graphics quality screen shot later in the video, too.

There are rumors of a demo soon.

Top Bottom