• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

l2ounD

Hmmm
d6ceb2e5-0804-495c-b0c7-097c6304cb43

92528774-cc73-4249-ad12-f5c0c793c24e

3160ae53-9936-414e-b92a-3bddbfe4a7c2

13a0bf20-7b68-4bb7-a76b-16ef1c390727

ShapeGSX

Man driveclub is a 30fps game that looks like it plays at 120fps......That sense of speed tech EVO used is beyond anything I've ever seen.....60fps games don't look so fast...….
Dude, it’s not “sense of speed tech”. It’s a distorted field of view. The entirety of the view field is stretched horribly outside of dead center of the screen. Basically a fisheye lens. It makes objects feel closer to you.

When I race my car in real life on a drag strip, it feels slow, despite hitting 120mph because everything is far away. But I get on a back road on the way home and 50mph feels fast because the objects on the side of the road are so much closer. Film the drag strip through a fish-eye GoPro and it will feel a lot faster than real life. That’s all Driveclub is doing. They stretch everything on the screen to make it feel faster than it really is.

Frames per second has very little to do with sense of speed. Forza Horizon doesn’t feel faster in 60fps than 30fps. I can’t believe this stuff has to be explained. lol

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Dude, it’s not “sense of speed tech”. It’s a distorted field of view. The entirety of the view field is stretched horribly outside of dead center of the screen. Basically a fisheye lens. It makes objects feel closer to you.

When I race my car in real life on a drag strip, it feels slow, despite hitting 120mph because everything is far away. But I get on a back road on the way home and 50mph feels fast because the objects on the side of the road are so much closer. Film the drag strip through a fish-eye GoPro and it will feel a lot faster than real life. That’s all Driveclub is doing. They stretch everything on the screen to make it feel faster than it really is.

Frames per second has very little to do with sense of speed. Forza Horizon doesn’t feel faster in 60fps than 30fps. I can’t believe this stuff has to be explained. lol
Regardless of the reason, it works for Driveclub and it feels faster than the others

BigLee74

Guys, I've invented this tech right, that makes it seem like the cars go really fast. But I need a name for it, any ideas?

And so, Sense of Speed Tech (c) was born!

Last edited:

Sebmugi

Magical SSR Part 2

I wonder if with the RTX the rendering will be so much better than that .. of course it will take into account what is outside the screen but hey .. the projection of lights and reflections in the drops of water is so bluffing !!! :messenger_open_mouth:
I am very sad to know that Driveclub will not have a follow-up on PS5 :messenger_loudly_crying: but I hope that Sony has a plan for another racing game outside GT to come on next gen.. 🤞

1583217533-driveclub-tm-20200302183453-resultat.jpg

1583217499-driveclub-tm-20200302172503-resultat.jpg

1583217504-driveclub-tm-20200302114651-resultat.jpg

1583217518-driveclub-tm-20200302120358-resultat.jpg

1583217524-driveclub-tm-20200302165336-resultat.jpg

1583217538-driveclub-tm-20200302113907-resultat.jpg

1583217513-driveclub-tm-20200302152529-resultat.jpg

Last edited:

Three

Once again coming in with the receipts.

Showing beyond doubt that in game GTSport is several steps below what users love to show in photo and replay mode.

That adaptive tesselation working overtime to smooth over all the ridiculously low poly edges.
GT sport doesn't have adaptive tessellation buddy.

GT sport doesn't have adaptive tessellation buddy.
Yes it does. Models ripped from the game have their highest detail model parts labelled “(partname)_T” to mark those that use tessellation.

When imported into a 3D editor those highest LOD parts actually look like the lowest LOD as naturally they’re authored to support it but the editors aren’t applying said tessellation.

Three

Yes it does. Models ripped from the game have their highest detail model parts labelled “(partname)_T” to mark those that use tessellation.

When imported into a 3D editor those highest LOD parts actually look like the lowest LOD as naturally they’re authored to support it but the editors aren’t applying said tessellation.
That isn't what adaptive tesselation is.

Three

GT6’s system was labelled adaptive in all media and GTS’ works the same, so what’s the supposed difference?
The supposed difference is that adaptive is applied in realtime based on the view and not uniformly.

GT Sport is not the same as GT6.

Look at an example of GT6 here

You do not get that in GTSport.

scalman

now we admire those things, just think that in couple months or so we will get some footage of one or more next gen racing games, and it will blow our minds and it will blow those all what is now good out of water like nothing. pc titles combined.

scalman

The supposed difference is that adaptive is applied in realtime based on the view and not uniformly.

GT Sport is not the same as GT6.

Look at an example of GT6 here

You do not get that in GTSport.

remember when i got to find those most detailed cars in GT6 i was just looking at them , just looking at that tesselation in work... was just wow , something mindblowing...
how they even did that on PS3 . or damage model on GT5 early updates , damn i was not fast enough to see that magic.

Most of the racing games, at least the car models and micro detail on these cars looks pale in comparison to the stuff they pulled off in Driveclub. Driveclub was a game ahead of it's time. It saddens me to see that we may never get a sequel on PS5 :(

ShapeGSX

You are aware that you are comparing open world to linear track, right?

The only thing that I don't like about the Forza photo is the speedometer. It isn't self illuminating. Hopefully they find a way to make that look better in the next game.

That alcatara in Forza looks spot freaking on, though. Nailed it.

GTS looks so...flat. And that plastic around the vents in the center of the car is horrendous.

scalman

yh shame AMD conference didnt show anything new , just talked how next gen consoles will have RT and such. whats wrong with showing at least something , ahh shame.

LostDonkey

I doubt GTS will benefit much as it already has heavy use of Raytraced lighting albeit baked from a render farm. I cant see a real time solution being able to provide a much better outcome. TOD obviously but the overall effect they have is pretty spot on. Forza stands to benefit most and of course other third party racers, project cars 3, Assetto Corsa etc if implemented

Last edited:
I doubt GTS will benefit much as it already has heavy use of Raytraced lighting albeit baked from a render farm. I cant see a real time solution being able to provide a much better outcome. TOD obviously but the overall effect they have is pretty spot on. Forza stands to benefit most and of course other third party racers, project cars 3, Assetto Corsa etc if implemented

Perhaps the surrounding environment will not benefit much as they already use the RTX in that area, however moving objects such as cars will benefit greatly with the reflections and shadows calculated with the Ray Tracing technique in real time.

Last edited:

Very nice vortex effect...Is this for all the cars?

from the descriptyio of the video:
All Forza games have this ugly rims animations, on low vehicle speed rims are made in nice 3D model, on higher speed they change to ulgy flat 2D texture. Games runs on Ultra graphics settings.

Last edited:

carsar

I don't know why, but I really enjoy GT5 visual. It looks even better compared to GTS for me
The asphalt surface looks almost pbr-like with great reflections at different angles.
UhdIoBh.jpg

xE6hhMa.jpg

Cubemaps are fantastic. it has flags moviang in realtime. I don't need raytracing with whis reflections.
XBgN7bV.jpg

lUuViG9.jpg

Photomos locations are the most impressive stuff I saw on ps3.
MBKku0a.jpg

k4LST91.jpg

Cars models look so good even for currentgen games
aevJV28.jpg

TN1DuRq.jpg

l2ounD

Very nice vortex effect...Is this for all the cars?

from the descriptyio of the video:
All Forza games have this ugly rims animations, on low vehicle speed rims are made in nice 3D model, on higher speed they change to ulgy flat 2D texture. Games runs on Ultra graphics settings.

Definitely looks odd but the game is full of animations that are weird and generally lacking in believability anyways. Those crowd dancing animations are nice though, I like their energy

I don't know why, but I really enjoy GT5 visual. It looks even better compared to GTS for me
The asphalt surface looks almost pbr-like with great reflections at different angles.
UhdIoBh.jpg

xE6hhMa.jpg

Cubemaps are fantastic. it has flags moviang in realtime. I don't need raytracing with whis reflections.
XBgN7bV.jpg

lUuViG9.jpg

Photomos locations are the most impressive stuff I saw on ps3.
MBKku0a.jpg

k4LST91.jpg

Cars models look so good even for currentgen games
aevJV28.jpg

TN1DuRq.jpg

GT5 was so ahead of it's time

AC modders are still putting in work. Maybe I'm biased towards the underdogs but I've got to hand it to those modders and say that I actually think AC looks nicer, despite still lacking some graphical features. Opinions?
Here's FM7 Vs modded AC, using some of FM7's very own geometry.

Last edited:

l2ounD

AC modders are still putting in work. Maybe I'm biased towards the underdogs but I've got to hand it to those modders and say that I actually think AC looks nicer, despite still lacking some graphical features. Opinions?
Here's FM7 Vs modded AC, using some of FM7's very own geometry.

AC with Mods can look pretty slick

Assetto Corsa - AC+2020 v0.1 pack
Brands Hatch winter mist gameplay
Drone action camera test

jIWN1eS.png

Z7ojuUc.png

1Awaz9b.png

Top Bottom