• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Momentary

Banned
Assetto Corsa Competizione in-game free cam. Clipped through the model to show the interior of the car during gameplay.

49894340682_55ca76296f_o.png

Assetto Corsa Competizione - Porsche 911 GT3-R In game with free cam. Only thing this game needs is 4K livery textures. But car models looks fantastic.

49894031431_4ef10fda1f_o.png

I wonder how far away we are now from vehicles having full CAD-like detail right down to the individual bolts and engine internals. Almost every racing game out there has cars floating on wheels

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Assetto Corsa Competizione in-game free cam. Clipped through the model to show the interior of the car during gameplay.

49894340682_55ca76296f_o.png

Assetto Corsa Competizione - Porsche 911 GT3-R In game with free cam. Only thing this game needs is 4K livery textures. But car models looks fantastic.

49894031431_4ef10fda1f_o.png

I wonder how far away we are now from vehicles having full CAD-like detail right down to the individual bolts and engine internals. Almost every racing game out there has cars floating on wheels

Major resources, better quality

D.Final

Banned
speaking of new "next gen" games here are some screens of Dirt 5, of course they are probably screens of the photo mode with some retouching (or not) in any case they come from the editor ^^ I'm happy to still see SSR (or RTX on next gen) on car bodies.

dirt-5-announcement-3.jpg

dirt-5-announcement-5.jpg

dirt-5-announcement-1.jpg

dirt-5-announcement-2.jpg

Absolutely amazing

scalman

maxresdefault.jpg

fired up good old Horizon 3 and man does the game looks good and sounds. and its 2016 game , i mean for most cases as i play just from cockpit i prefer H3 details inside then GTS cockpits, i mean no matter how they maybe more detailed at some places in cockpit all i need is to see nice clean clear crisp cockpitin front and see all the shadows dynamicly droping here and there and changing in lighting. none of that is in GTS , so i hope GT7 will go much further in front of everything or i will pick forza new game to play there. resolution and fps numbers wont make for true next gen racing if its not true next gen in ligthing in shadows in weather in day night time in damage in parts fall from cars and such. just to get GT new game same old but in 4k and in high fps it just dont matter rly . thats not enough at least.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Thats not the same. Obviously most/all games have it in those particular cars.
But PC has animated suspensions even in cars you cant see it, unless you detach bodyparts.
What car are you using, I'm on phone and it's not the greatest picture

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Car on previous video was Formula B with nose detached.
Heres another example - Pagani Zonda R.

second vid from 2:28

Ok yeah cool, I took your first video as suspension on display as I thought it was a Ariel Atom or something.
I remember rolling a car in PC and being impressed I could see the prop shaft spinning as the car rocked side to side on its roof.
PC2 is my favourite sim racer on console even on pad,its satisfying to master but a lot of the time I jump on Forza and GTS for they are way easier for quick plays.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
speaking of new "next gen" games here are some screens of Dirt 5, of course they are probably screens of the photo mode with some retouching (or not) in any case they come from the editor ^^ I'm happy to still see SSR (or RTX on next gen) on car bodies.

dirt-5-announcement-3.jpg

dirt-5-announcement-5.jpg

dirt-5-announcement-1.jpg

dirt-5-announcement-2.jpg
Those refractions in the water look a real step up

scalman

Still was dissapointed how dirt 5 looked in that trailer. For this gen sure but for pure next gen game, ehh no. Wonder when they will update their engine properly to be next gen step instead of just upgrade that old one. Yes wet surfaces and darkness with rain it can show good but thats not next gen i waited for. It will be destroyed by new forza and gt games .

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Still was dissapointed how dirt 5 looked in that trailer. For this gen sure but for pure next gen game, ehh no. Wonder when they will update their engine properly to be next gen step instead of just upgrade that old one. Yes wet surfaces and darkness with rain it can show good but thats not next gen i waited for. It will be destroyed by new forza and gt games .

agree with that, it just looked like a currant gen game with added extras, I wonder if that will change if we could see it run at 120fps?

Sebmugi

Driveclub is on such another level, Forza Horizon 4 look amazing in 4K.

yes it is, I have the games on One X and on an Oled screen. :messenger_kissing_smiling: but my heart goes definitively to Driveclub on this generation .. it continues to amaze and surprise me after all these years .. I will have a big pinch on the moral of na see more on PS5 tonight .. :messenger_loudly_crying: I hardly dare imagine what it could have looked like. .. :messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
That GT7 gameplay was... meh, right?

Maybe is the 1080p30 shitty youtube stream, but that didn't look like "next gen" at all to me.

And still visible LOD change and pop-in? 🤦‍♂️

Didn't think PD would fall into the "hey, we have ray tracing so lets make everything a mirror" trap. That looked truly awful at times. Between that, "Sarah" introducing you to GT world, the highly compressed replay data that made the physics look hilarious and the low quality 1080p upload. That is not how to reveal your "next gen"game.

4k60 upload.

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

Didn't think PD would fall into the "hey, we have ray tracing so lets make everything a mirror" trap. That looked truly awful at times. Between that, "Sarah" introducing you to GT world, the highly compressed replay data that made the physics look hilarious and the low quality 1080p upload. That is not how to reveal your "next gen"game.

4k60 upload.

Much better, but what the hell is with the LOD and the pop-in, just look at the lights when entering the tunnel... they just appear out of nothing. I think this has much higher priority than raytracing whatever...

If these are the best 60 seconds of gameplay they could select for a premiere show and the title presentation I'm not impressed at all.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Much better, but what the hell is with the LOD and the pop-in, just look at the lights when entering the tunnel... they just appear out of nothing. I think this has much higher priority than raytracing whatever...

I think it will improve in the final version, just like GTS improved over the time before release. Remember how bad GTS first gameplay vidoe's looked, they improved massively. Also this is running 4K native now with probably dynamic tod and maybe 120fps. So i am not surprised that it looks like enhanced GTS. And i hope that those reflections are also the same in game and not only for scape and replays. Also it looked like they where using tessellation in game wich is nice. Imo it looked good, if its running 4K 120 than it looked incredible. Now i can't wait to see Forza in Juli at MS event. I think both games wil have some advantages over each other, and both will look and play good.

FukuDaruma

I think it will improve in the final version, just like GTS improved over the time before release. Remember how bad GTS first gameplay vidoe's looked, they improved massively. Also this is running 4K native now with probably dynamic tod and maybe 120fps. So i am not surprised that it looks like enhanced GTS. And i hope that those reflections are also the same in game and not only for scape and replays. Also it looked like they where using tessellation in game wich is nice. Imo it looked good, if its running 4K 120 than it looked incredible. Now i can't wait to see Forza in Juli at MS event. I think both games wil have some advantages over each other, and both will look and play good.

Where that "120 fps" comes from?

Doesn't that very noticeable LOD change and elements pop-in bother you?

Sebmugi

Well a little disappointed by this first presentation of GT7 with again graphic problems (LoD, shadow, pop) but that does not really surprise .. GT remains GT .. I note in the positive things that we will have right again weather changes, the reflections on ingame cars are finally at levels, and the return of the scent of the old GT and trial montain .. wait to see more but in the state it is a little disappointment .. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Where that "120 fps" comes from?

Doesn't that very noticeable LOD change and elements pop-in bother you?
Kaz said he aims for 120-240fps, but 120fps is more likely

And that lod pop in and low rez shadows bothers me also but im saying that they have time to improve it because lod pop in shouldn't be a issue with the SSD in PS5. They still haven't anounced a release date, so i don't expect it to launch before 2022 tbh.

Piggoro

I really hope that GT7 will have a full PSVR support. After I tried GTS VR mode I just can't play racing games on a flat screen anymore.

Also did anybody notice that GT7 looks somehow... mmm... cartoony or something? GTS has that super realistic blandness to it's graphics. Because of that a moments of bright warm sun or sky seem absolutely otherworldly and beautiful but GT7 has that oversaturated Forza-like look to it. Or am I just overanalizing?

FukuDaruma

I really hope that GT7 will have a full PSVR support. After I tried GTS VR mode I just can't play racing games on a flat screen anymore.

Also did anybody notice that GT7 looks somehow... mmm... cartoony or something? GTS has that super realistic blandness to it's graphics. Because of that a moments of bright warm sun or sky seem absolutely otherworldly and beautiful but GT7 has that oversaturated Forza-like look to it. Or am I just overanalizing?

I got the same impression. Maybe now it has full dynamic time of day and then there's no more nice baked GI like in GTS.

Xplainin

Banned
Kaz said he aims for 120-240fps, but 120fps is more likely

And that lod pop in and low rez shadows bothers me also but im saying that they have time to improve it because lod pop in shouldn't be a issue with the SSD in PS5. They still haven't anounced a release date, so i don't expect it to launch before 2022 tbh.
Its been confirmed as 60fps now according to DF.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
GT7 doesn't look so next gen when you're used to seeing games like this the last couple years.

The woes of seeing incremental progress on PC rather than 5+ year jumps I guess. Maybe it lacks new lighting techs or whatever but it does have future proofing options for later hardware that can handle it, lod related stuff at least, I don't think anything can fully max this yet and maintain 4k/60.

Other less known not exactly AAA games look pretty hot too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom