• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

ACC PC looks really good at times
jwWMTa.png

jwWv5Q.png

jwWnnM.png

jwWeVA.png

s-bojan

Banned
I have a question for the people that are saying that Driveclub is still the best looking game - are you playing on a large tv with hdr support?

I've been playing Driveclub, GTS and Forza Horizon 4 (pc 4k/60 version) for the past few days and DC is just not in the same league.
It was really impressive 6 years ago on my 40 inch LCD tv, but now it's looking really rough - low resolution, bad IQ, materials and lighting that look worse than in the other two games. And that is without taking 30fps into account.

I am sure that 4k/60 hdr version of the game would look impressive, but the graphics did make a big jump in past 6 years (as it should be).

I have a question for the people that are saying that Driveclub is still the best looking game - are you playing on a large tv with hdr support?

I've been playing Driveclub, GTS and Forza Horizon 4 (pc 4k/60 version) for the past few days and DC is just not in the same league.
It was really impressive 6 years ago on my 40 inch LCD tv, but now it's looking really rough - low resolution, bad IQ, materials and lighting that look worse than in the other two games. And that is without taking 30fps into account.

I am sure that 4k/60 hdr version of the game would look impressive, but the graphics did make a big jump in past 6 years (as it should be).
Exactly what I've been saying all along. I bought a PS4 when driveclub first came out because of all the pictures in gifs I saw on my phone and when I actually fired it up on a 55-inch 4K TV it looked terrible mostly due to low res and jaggies. Weather effects are good that's about it.

FukuDaruma

Just want to point out how awful PCARS 3 looks at night time

After the amazingly terrible Fast & Furious crap fest, Project Cars 3 is on route to be a huge epic fail and even a bigger disappointment than Grid 2019. Code"masters" are patheticly spiraling down the drain.

drotahorror

After the amazingly terrible Fast & Furious crap fest, Project Cars 3 is on route to be a huge epic fail and even a bigger disappointment than Grid 2019. Code"masters" are patheticly spiraling down the drain.

Well Dirt Rally 2.0 is godlike to me. Grid was pretty awful and I'm not into F1 that much.

I have Dirt 5 pre-ordered, I love rally games and love what the devs behind have done in the past (Motorstorm, Driveclub etc). But you best believe from what I've seen, the game looks fairly lackluster. Something about it just seems so generic.

As for PCARS 3, I dunno. Maybe it'll be fun? Supposedly the campaign is good, but I usually just do time trials/hot laps in racing games. In fact, I'm not really into sim racers (although I own most of them). The last non offroad racing game that I really enjoyed was Driveclub. This year has been fun for sims though, ACC and AMS2 are both really solid and feel great on a wheel. I hope Dirt 5 feels good and I hope PCARS 3 does as well. Who knows, maybe both games will surprise (in a good way).

MCplayer

My god,shaders and lighting are on another level on GTS compared to other games

its just a matter of capturing the right frame, you can also make GT sport look like a 2005 racing game.
I used to also make cinematic videos for Forza sometime ago, and I believe I managed to make FM4 look quite realistic also sometimes.

Yes I did had some post effects and color grading but the raw clips were already pretty great in game

or here at the minute 1:58 in slo mo, looks pretty good

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

Well Dirt Rally 2.0 is godlike to me. Grid was pretty awful and I'm not into F1 that much.

I have Dirt 5 pre-ordered, I love rally games and love what the devs behind have done in the past (Motorstorm, Driveclub etc). But you best believe from what I've seen, the game looks fairly lackluster. Something about it just seems so generic.

As for PCARS 3, I dunno. Maybe it'll be fun? Supposedly the campaign is good, but I usually just do time trials/hot laps in racing games. In fact, I'm not really into sim racers (although I own most of them). The last non offroad racing game that I really enjoyed was Driveclub. This year has been fun for sims though, ACC and AMS2 are both really solid and feel great on a wheel. I hope Dirt 5 feels good and I hope PCARS 3 does as well. Who knows, maybe both games will surprise (in a good way).

Agree. DR 2.0 is the only good thing Codemasters released in a long time. Dirt 5... they say they're trying to catch the spirit of Dirt 2 and 3, but I'm just not seeing it. Dirt 2 was an amazing title when it was released, and a technological breakthrough. A lot of people from that team went on to work on Forza Horizon afterwards, and it really shows...

Regarding Motorstorm and Driveclub... Codemasters bought only *part* of what was Evolution studios, and they fired some people after Rush bombed, so there's even less left now, and they did/do only "supporting" work for other teams at Codemasters. That's why no CM title even on PC looks nowhere near as good as Driveclub, a 2014 title for base PS4.

its just a matter of capturing the right frame, you can also make GT sport look like a 2005 racing game.
I used to also make cinematic videos for Forza sometime ago, and I believe I managed to make FM4 look quite realistic also sometimes.

Yes I did had some post effects and color grading but the raw clips were already pretty great in game

or here at the minute 1:58 in slo mo, looks pretty good

These forza videos looks like shit, what are you trying to prove?
And no on GTS you don't need to add post processing filters and stuff to make it look good, the game by default has that photorealistic look. Like i said GTS has the best shaders and lighting on the market when it comes to racing games.
Here a normal gameplay video:

Last edited:

MCplayer

These forza videos looks like shit, what are you trying to prove?
And no on GTS you don't need to add post processing filters and stuff to make it look good, the game by default has that photorealistic look. Like i said GTS has the best shaders and lighting on the market when it comes to racing games.
Here a normal gameplay video:

ok... those were not a good example then, either way FH4 doesnt also look amazing

And driveclub looks more photorealistic then GTS, also does this

Last edited:

Stuart360

Just want to point out how awful PCARS 3 looks at night time

All the Project Cars games have been overrated graphics wise, and i'm talking about the PC versions, not the console versions. The first game never lived up to those early Kickstarter bullshots, and console games like GT Sport, and Forza have always looked better imo.
With Project 3, i see no passion from the devs anymore. Its a paycheck game.

drotahorror

Some Driveclub photomode and gameplay shots i grabbed last night, still angry at sony for no PRO support :messenger_pouting:

Even if there are zero enhancements, I hope Driveclub is alteast BC with PS5. I sold my PS4 and the only game I miss is Driveclub. I have it and all the DLC digitally on their store.

Last edited:
Even if there are zero enhancements, I hope Driveclub is alteast BC with PS5. I sold my PS4 and the only game I miss is Driveclub. I have it and all the DLC digitally on their store.

I wonder how and if they will deal with that. They didnt shut down just the servers, they completely removed the game and all its DLC, it doesnt exist anymore. So if you go onto a new console, even with the same account you would need to redownload it if lets say you had digital copy to the PS5, right? But the game doesnt exist anymore. I have a physical copy so Im fine with that but last night I booted it up and felt so shallow that so many things are turned off. I remember they said how you need to buy the DLCs before they go offline but I still thought they kept em somewhere for download. I have all the others but never bought Bikes DLC, went to PSN store and yep...everything was erased, only a dynamic theme is available. To me its a bigger crime that a Complete Edition never came out because those DLCs are lost forever and theres a whole games content worth just from those.

Last edited:
I wonder how and if they will deal with that. They didnt shut down just the servers, they completely removed the game and all its DLC, it doesnt exist anymore. So if you go onto a new console, even with the same account you would need to redownload it if lets say you had digital copy to the PS5, right? But the game doesnt exist anymore. I have a physical copy so Im fine with that but last night I booted it up and felt so shallow that so many things are turned off. I remember they said how you need to buy the DLCs before they go offline but I still thought they kept em somewhere for download. I have all the others but never bought Bikes DLC, went to PSN store and yep...everything was erased, only a dynamic theme is available. To me its a bigger crime that a Complete Edition never came out because those DLCs are lost forever and theres a whole games content worth just from those.
I will be seriously surprised if Driveclub is playable on PlayStation 5 at all. Digital or physical. I'm keeping my disc just in case but defiantly not holding my breath!

Best NFS in a long time. It's been downhill after that.

Stunning graphics even on base PS4 when i played it at launch, super damn disappointing races, only night time racing ended up being tedious and boring, lacks the option to pause when racing offline. Was such a disappointing game, had so much potential.

drotahorror

Did you log on to the sony website and go to your download history?

pL2yrFT.jpg

At the moment it still says that for the base game. All my DLC's just say 'purchased'. But so do some other DLC's like my Resogun ones.

LcdMyko.jpeg

But then some other DLC like Witcher 3 says 'download to your ps4'

It's a bit concerning that DC and Resogun DLC have no option to Download to PS4. Resogun didn't get pulled though did it? I wish someone could confirm whether or not they could download all the DC shit. If I had a PS4 I would try.

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

Stunning graphics even on base PS4 when i played it at launch, super damn disappointing races, only night time racing ended up being tedious and boring, lacks the option to pause when racing offline. Was such a disappointing game, had so much potential.

It has its flaws. Yeah, only dusk/night/dawn and no day at all, no cockpit view (seems it's never coming back to NFS titles), cringey cutscenes with unnatural performances and moronic "brah" attitude... but I had a lot of fun playing it, it was the most similar to the original Underground, the action camera addition was great and it was a real breakthrough in visuals. 5 years later and it still is one of the damn best looking racing games. NFS Payback and NFS Heat have been a total letdown for me. Just that patheticly terrible aliasing and pop-in in Heat make my eyes bleed.

Last edited:
drotahorror drotahorror

Yeah I jsut checked, says same thing: Purchased. Tho when the PS5 comes out, Im planing to make a new account for a new region because my old one is UAE region and I dont live there anymore plus they sometimes outright ban certain games due to religious reasons. So if that happens, I donno. The base game I have a physical case but I too am wondering, the DLC should be on the PSN store but I dont know if they would add this for PS5. I remember buying PS4 day one and went to PS4 store...it was bare bones while PS3 store had like 100+ indie games and themes and avatars.

drotahorror drotahorror GaviotaGrande GaviotaGrande

Its not because I am a fan of DC but I still cant get over the fact that DC was literally deleted off the planet. Ok sure, cut the servers...I mean NFS Pro Street still has active servers so I dont know but the tactic to just erase the game from existence is so weird because besides the rocky launch it had a huge following. I mean The Order 1886 is not even close to DC popularity and instal base but that one stayed even though Sony pretends it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Three

Did you log on to the sony website and go to your download history?

pL2yrFT.jpg

At the moment it still says that for the base game. All my DLC's just say 'purchased'. But so do some other DLC's like my Resogun ones.

LcdMyko.jpeg

But then some other DLC like Witcher 3 says 'download to your ps4'

It's a bit concerning that DC and Resogun DLC have no option to Download to PS4. Resogun didn't get pulled though did it? I wish someone could confirm whether or not they could download all the DC shit. If I had a PS4 I would try.

I think that's because those things are pushed in updates in the game and don't require downloading since you already have it.

drotahorror

Some history of the WRC games

Team VVV (the official WRC youtube channel just posted his video today, I meant to post original video a few days when I watched it but forgot) Not sure if Alan posts here anymore though.

Three

It's been nearly 6 years since it released, and in my book the graphics are still unsurpassed.

Why don't Sony do a PS5 remaster with 4k60+ and HDR :'(
Because unfortunately the game didn't take off as it should have. Dumbasses were calling it a sterile corridor racer at launch (which was itself troubled by delays/technical issues).

Top Bottom